Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stongpa
Jan 14, 2012

"I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And kills fear in the wise."

~ Nagarjuna

Christoff posted:

Didn't think to buy a cup when I bought all my knee pads and gloves 'n stuff.

Any recommendations? What do you guys think of the shock doctor compression shorts/cup deal?

Personally I like the shock doctor brand, but I haven't tried their compression shorts yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Christoff posted:

Any recommendations? What do you guys think of the shock doctor compression shorts/cup deal?

I did bjj for a few months(before injury) using them and they worked completely fine for me. It has a weird velcro-closed pouch for the cup but I would just put the cup between my underwear and the compression shorts and it was fine. No real complaints, though there may be better products.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Stongpa posted:

Personally I like the shock doctor brand, but I haven't tried their compression shorts yet.

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Jaco-Guardian-Compression-Short-and-Athletic-Cup-(without-Pads)/jac-1039,default,pd.html

That's what I'm using atm for both grappling and striking. Works great for both

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think this is the one I've got: http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

The cup/compression short combos feel pretty good. There are quite a few others to choose from: http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/compression-shorts.aspx and http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/cups-supporters.aspx

How are they to kick with? Also, where'd you buy yours? Locally or off the net?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I saw someone wearing a shirt that read:
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A KICK AIN'T ONE
It was really tacky so I assume it meant martial arts and not shoes :colbert:
Made my day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I saw someone wearing a shirt that read:
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A KICK AIN'T ONE
It was really tacky so I assume it meant martial arts and not shoes :colbert:
Made my day.

The best martial arts pun T-shirt:

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

kimbo305 posted:

I want a shirt that reads: "in my imagination" [front] ... "I've already kicked you in the head and choked you unconscious" [back]

I think that'd be a sweet shirt. I bet it'd cause fights just wearing it though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kumo Jr. posted:

I want a shirt that reads: "in my imagination" [front] ... "I've already kicked you in the head and choked you unconscious" [back]

I think that'd be a sweet shirt. I bet it'd cause fights just wearing it though.

Several Hapkido clubs that I have been a member of have used "For more information, grab my wrist" as a T-shirt slogan.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
I've just started a Judo class at my school and I'm having a blast. The only problem I'm having is that I'm a good few inches taller than everyone else in my class so all of my angles are really messed up on some throws(like my ogoshi never looks good) and I'm not sure what I'm really supposed to do about that other than just not use them during sparring.
Other than that it's really fun and the teacher is really interested in having me go to tournaments, which is pretty exciting and totally an ego-boost.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for gym bags for carrying around a gi. I've just been using a backpack and it is really not doing it for me.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Lectim posted:

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for gym bags for carrying around a gi. I've just been using a backpack and it is really not doing it for me.

I don't know, maybe buy a gym bag.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ligur posted:

Or a larger, more appropriately shaped backpack!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hey! If you use Facebook and want to see a goon make a fool out of himself in REAL TIME, check out https://www.facebook.com/BotniaPunishment for a streaming broadcast,starting at 17.00 GMT.
It's the 65,8kg undercard fight. Look for the pale, skinny dude who probably looks nervous.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Is that like.... today? 10 hours away?

I sparred with some newer guys today (MT), it was interesting, for the last while I've only been sparring with the experienced fighters at my gym, they're all way better and way more experienced than me and I've been getting pretty consistently whipped, it was kinda fun to have a go with some newer guys and see how much I've improved... It gets disheartening when you're always sparring with guys with several fights (I've had none) and always getting outclassed so it was a good confidence booster... I still have a lot to work on before my fight though (5 weeks to go...)

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 23, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Gonna feel mighty silly for shedding all this weight if it isn't.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Gonna feel mighty silly for shedding all this weight if it isn't.

I'll watch and scream suggested actions at my tiny laptop.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Thoguh posted:

The best martial arts pun T-shirt:

Honestly I prefer their other one:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Smegmatron posted:

Honestly I prefer their other one:

Why does he have tits?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Guilty posted:

Why does he have tits?

Buttoned pockets

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/21/2887681/ryan-hall-weighs-in-on-sport-vs-street-debate-in-martial-arts#storyjump

Comment from Ryan Hall on that entire self defense situation.

Ryan Hall posted:

You'll see people expressing jiu jitsu or wrestling or boxing in kinda a little bit of an esoteric way every now and then because competition incentives that because they are competing against other elite level athletes and that is where they find their edge. But when you take someone out of an elite level situation, and have them go against some regular guy... the idea that there is some super sweet badass dude walking around, everyone knows how easy it is to beat up all the white belts when they come in on the first day of jiu jitsu or how easy it to just beast a guy up who just comes into a boxing gym the first day. Those are the guys walking around in real life.

Because you compete and because you train athletically against resisting opponents, who are not only strong and fast, but they know exactly what you're going to do and they know how to stop you and how to get you themselves, it prepares you to deal with something like this very easily. So basically I feel the whole sport vs street argument is retarded unless you want to start talking about awareness and avoidance and things like that.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

mewse posted:

Buttoned pockets

But no buttons on his lapels. Dude is so jiu-jitsu he keeps his shirt closed with his belt at work.

Of course he kind of looks like a stripper so it might just be a breakaway.

Anyway,

Ryan Hall posted:

It is like Manny Pacquiao, I don't care if there are gloves or not, if he hits you, your head is coming off and there is no amount of me practicing an eye gouge that is going to stop him from doing that because he is so used to just dealing with someone who is incredibly good at touching him in the head really, really fast and really, really hard. It doesn't matter what shape my hand is in, he is incredibly good at stopping that and he is incredibly good at countering...

So I would completely disagree. I'd say most of the people that say that practice for self-defense and don't train with tough athletes are really doing themselves a disservice. If I can wrestle with, say, Division I collegiate All-Americans and do fine. If I can wrestle with Marcelo Garcia and do ok, what the hell is some regular guy going to do? The only chance they have is to sucker punch me because anything that engages in an actual engagement of physical combat, I would absolutely hammer this person.

That is like saying "Oh yeah, I'm going to go strike out some guys in the Major Leagues because I'm gonna spit on the ball" Get out of here, it is ridiculous! If you take that though process and apply to any other area of life people would laugh at you.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Any recommendations for wrestling knee pads?

I've been using volley-ball pads for judo for a while now and it's not working out all that well. It likes to slip and get smelly so I'm looking for something probably made of lycra and gel?

Anyone wears knee pads under their gi?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ryan hall talking the real poo poo there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I get his message but man he's not very coherent with his points. Not expecting him to be a great writer but still.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I sparred with some newer guys today (MT), it was interesting, for the last while I've only been sparring with the experienced fighters at my gym, they're all way better and way more experienced than me and I've been getting pretty consistently whipped, it was kinda fun to have a go with some newer guys and see how much I've improved... It gets disheartening when you're always sparring with guys with several fights (I've had none) and always getting outclassed so it was a good confidence booster... I still have a lot to work on before my fight though (5 weeks to go...)
It is good to be able to work on things that under pressure you can't do. For me, that's longer combos and moving to the side after entering with an attack, and maybe linear kicks.
On the other hand, because you're outclassing the guy easily, it's easy to let your bad habits hang because they're not being exposed. I've been videoing my sessions to remind myself, but yday I went 8 rounds with one guy who was a couple steps behind me. I'm sure I had my hands very very down, just because he was getting slow to the point where I could get out of the way before my guard not being up was exploited.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Is that written or from an interview or something. It reads like someone talking

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It's from a podcast interview so it is someone responding to questions verbally.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Makes sense, I'm sure it would be less rambling if it was a written statement. I want to save that quote and just empty post it whenever self defense crap comes up.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Ligur posted:

I guess I meant recommendations.
I feel it was pretty obvious that was what I was asking, but thanks for your input. It really helped with me being worried that I'd buy a bag that wasn't big enough for my gi.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'll watch and scream suggested actions at my tiny laptop.

You didn't shout loud enough!
Fought a draw, mostly because my taakedowns were in effect guard pulls, and i couldn't finish a triangle or aa kimura.
Did get kicked in the junk and landed a front kick in his face though.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
So I fought for the first time last week, and despite losing I felt it was a pretty good experience; I think it could have gone either way. Any tips or criticisms would be appreciated- keep in mind I've got about 11 months experience or so at this point. Also, I wrote a bit of a summary on the youtube description of how I thought the fight went for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjsbcHbGGE&feature=youtu.be

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

Ya, that's why the "smart people run from street fights" crowd is pathetic. If you're advanced in a full contact, competitive martial art, you're going to easily handle 95% of assholes looking for trouble. Doing the Phoenix Jones is another story..

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Muay Thai was interesting tonight. Loads of light sparring, accidentally gave a guy a bloody nose when he charged in as I was backing off and ran straight into my left jab. Been a while since I saw visible damage from something I've done.

Later on, people took turns putting on body protectors and head guards, for some heavier sparring in the ring while the club cheered them on. Got in myself twice, once against a fellow noob (both of us on our fifth class or so here, I've got a handful of classes elsewhere as well) and again when nobody would step up to fight some more experienced guy for the second time.

I'm sure it looked like poo poo, but it felt like a fight of epic proportions, both of us landed several solid hits (spinning backfist, wait what), I was almost falling over by the end of the round, and had to clean some blood off of my gear afterwards, and got complimented on staying in the fight.

Striking is definitely starting to grow on me. Also, I can't feel my left leg now.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Xguard86 posted:

Makes sense, I'm sure it would be less rambling if it was a written statement. I want to save that quote and just empty post it whenever self defense crap comes up.

It's not a terrible empty quote. But again 'some regular' guy might get totally trounced by Ryan, sure.

Although, a 'regular guy' actually managed to put Ryan Hall a world class grappler with 8 years more experience in a lovely position when they first started. (He closed the distance and loomed over him.) Now this was mainly due to a mistake on Ryan's part but it is still a pretty big error.

A not so regular guy might pull out a knife and start stabbing away. A not so regular guy's friend might change his mind and tackle him while Ryan is preoccupied with mount.

We've read personal accounts here on the forums about people who were more than able to handle themselves in a 1 on 1 empty handed fight, and end up getting stabbed. Recently someone from M1 also got stabbed too. Why do you guys think when Mike Tyson, when he was in prison, was assigned to a private cell?

There are people out there in the world who are more than happy to be able to prove the point that "Yeah so and so is a world class fighter, but I was able to kill him." Someone who literally has 0 training.

I posted this in SASS, but this guy does a pretty good write up on the whole thing.

Lectim posted:

A drawstring laundry bag with a strap and ventable holes works very well. It holds more, costs less, allows air to circulate and is easy to store compared to most gym bags.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 23, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Ryan Hall here to a large extent. Ryan isn't saying training in BJJ and MMA will let you take on multiple armed opponents. He's not even arguing about avoidance and deescalation. Look at his quote: "So basically I feel the whole sport vs street argument is retarded unless you want to start talking about awareness and avoidance and things like that." What he's saying is that if you are in a situation that needs physical self defense that full speed resistance against tough skilled opponents is going to make you better. Not some half speed role playing based reality based self defense.

As an aside the argument that you will absolutely get cut in a fight against someone with a knife is as much a falsehood as the all fights go to the ground thing. I've been in a pretty big city, NYC, at one of the largest martial arts academies in the country 1200+. We have a number of guys who have gone up unarmed against armed opponents in serious self defense situations including myself and won. Not that you would ever want to be in such a situation or that you should never underestimate how easily you can die but that people like to speak in absolutes.

Also, for a cop the calculus is different, different rules of engagement and different tools. Cops have radios and back up, pepper spray, tasers, and guns. A cop'll go for a tool on his belt. I would love to see the cop who wrote that article take that guy down in the manner he asserted without relying on his tool belt. Especially in a place where I live I have none of those other than the ability to call 911.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 23, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hall specifically mentions awareness and situational understanding as stuff not covered by doing bjj or boxing or similar martial arts. So, ya your point is valid but already made.

edit: what yuns said.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^that's some serious paranoia talking. 90% of the time it's just some drunken rear end in a top hat thinking he's superman (see: ryan hall video).

e: more like

^
^
^

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Yuns posted:

What he's saying is that if you are in a situation that needs physical self defense that full speed resistance against tough skilled opponents is going to make you better. Not some half speed role playing based reality based self defense.

Yes I can agree with this. RBSD places worth their salt actually do this.

Yuns posted:

As an aside the argument that you will absolutely get cut in a fight against someone with a knife is as much a falsehood as the all fights go to the ground thing.

My previous example was based on other's first hand accounts in this forum plus recent events. Personally I have a hard time imagining that if that guy did had a knife Ryan Hall would have emerged unscathed. There were two key points where he could have been effectively attacked with a knife. (As the guy looms over Ryan Hall who is sitting down. As Ryan Hall does the double leg.)

Yuns posted:

Also, for a cop the calculus is different, different rules of engagement and different tools.

As for the cop having access to stuff you don't. That may be from you living in NYC. The rest of the U.S. CCW permits are easier to obtain and seems to be growing more common.

XGuard,
Situational awareness and understanding aside. What about tactics? From a strictly BJJ, MMA, or even Judo perspective having this guy in mount and controlling him would be perfectly fine. However the fact remains that his friend is around and could change his mind.

Per the article I linked, knee on belly is a better choice. It makes sense to me because it allows you some mobility, you can pivot, you can also return to a standing position quickly if need be.

TLDR:

There are things from BJJ, Judo, other combat sports that work extremely well in any kind of defensive situation. (Their training against heavily resisting opponents is especially useful. All the more if you have the chance to compete and go against folks FULLY resisting.)

However, there are things that are frankly quite dumb as well. If you want to learn good self defense go do a combat sport, get the base level of skills you need. Then go get a CCW license and learn how to apply those skills while not losing your own gun or shooting yourself or a numberof other poo poo. Go learn how to verbally deescalate the situation. Go learn how to be suave with body language.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya that would cover it. I do bjj for fun and exercise, live in a first world country and stay out of bad spots whenever possible. So far so good.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I don't think we fundamentally disagree Senor P.

There's a lot of nonsense information out there about self defense and even some good information is contradictory. The author of the article criticizes Ryan hall for a double leg for not having control or awareness of his opponents arms then suggest an arm drag. Anyone who's ever executed an armdrag see the problem here against a potentially armed opponent?

Here's an experiment. Everyone look for a youtube or WSHH or liveleak or other video of a cop taking down a suspect without relying on their tools (guns, spray, taser) against an opponent who is not passive and is not running away. Once you have this look to see. Does this cop have control of the suspects hands at all times? Come back and post it in this thread.

Even a gun is not a panacea. Of American cases of cops shot to death where the origin of the gun was known, 10% of them were killed by their own guns. Honestly, as a former competitive shooter and CCW holder when I lived in another state, I'd have to say that a lot of gun owners are better at shooting skittles carrying teenagers than they would be against an actual aggressor.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Paul Pot posted:

^that's some serious paranoia talking. 90% of the time it's just some drunken rear end in a top hat thinking he's superman (see: ryan hall video).

e: more like

^
^
^

This is true but is it worth it for you to find out the other 10%? Over what? Ego?

Obviously if you're in a self defense (or defending others that you care for) then its worth it, but people need to have a good awareness about the dangers of doing a double leg and then some body of his soccer kicking you, or him stabbing you.

That being said, Ryan Hall is absolutely correct that vs being untrained and doing some LARPing level street kung fu eye gouge training is way worse than doing a competitive combat sport. This is what he is talking about, he's not talking about scenarios, awareness etc. You can be BOTH aware and smart about how you handle yourself, AND be involved in a competitive combat sport. They're not mutually exclusive.

That being said, in a situation where either an untrained (or a non-competitive/"alive training" sport/martial art) versus someone does train "alive", has to be involved in an altercation that superseded any awareness or whatever, and EVEN with throwing in a knife, the trained guy is gonna come out more unscathed then the untrained one.

Its all relative, I mean you could train escrima and super duper knife defense/assault all you want but then what if he pulls a gun? Okay, well you could also train gun disarms all day long, then what if there's 5-6 of them? I mean there is an extreme limit as to what you can train, and then once you start getting into ridiculous levels of training this specific scenarios, it gets kind of weird that a
regular guy would do such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Anyone see that thirty rock where dennis, Tina faye's loser bf, refuses to fight alec Baldwin because he's "only trained to fight multiple people"? Don't know why but this reminds me of that.

• Locked thread