Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Spalec posted:

I'm surprised you don't need xbox gold to use it. Was that why it's appearing on xbox so much later than on the other consoles?

It took three years of negotiation because of Microsoft wanting it only to be available to subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Dappy, supporter of human bullying and spreading TB.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dappy, supporter of human bullying and spreading TB.

Badgers are loving evil. I hope one bites that little scrote's face off.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

loving hate badgers, I was on a training exercise weeks ago and our SV hit one, loving hell what a noise it made.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've just started re-watching Life On Mars, though I'm dreading having to go through season one of Ashes to Ashes again. Anyway, I found out while watching the very first episode, that the very first words Gene Hunt says are the exact same as his very last words in the final episode of Ashes To Ashes. Also, Sam is a much better character than Alex.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've just started re-watching Life On Mars, though I'm dreading having to go through season one of Ashes to Ashes again. Anyway, I found out while watching the very first episode, that the very first words Gene Hunt says are the exact same as his very last words in the final episode of Ashes To Ashes. Also, Sam is a much better character than Alex.

Yeah I think the quality of John Simm's acting is better than Keely Hawes, it leaves her character a bit flat and the emotions and motivation even more stunted.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah I think the quality of John Simm's acting is better than Keely Hawes, it leaves her character a bit flat and the emotions and motivation even more stunted.

It all comes down to this really. Alex has way more reasons to want to get back to her contemporary world, way more hooks, and in my opinion she's generally better written than Sam. But Hawes seems to struggle with the expository monologue and has less chemistry with the largely imported recurring cast. Both shows really lean on the protagonist's relationship with Gene Hunt, and that makes the chemistry almost more important than the dialogue or premise.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DemonNick posted:

Alex has way more reasons to want to get back to her contemporary world, way more hooks, and in my opinion she's generally better written than Sam.

The thing that kept getting me annoyed is that Alex is supposed to be a psychologist and yet she keeps on trying to confront her problem head on, which psychologists know doesn't work at all :colbert:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The thing that kept getting me annoyed is that Alex is supposed to be a psychologist and yet she keeps on trying to confront her problem head on, which psychologists know doesn't work at all :colbert:

Yeah that was really annoying, but on the other hand it doesn't work at all. I think Alex is kind of like a physician who self-medicates. She doesn't have any real perspective on herself but thinks that her training entitles her to skip that. She knows, or thinks she knows, what the problem is and tries to cut corners to "fix" herself. She thinks of herself as a rationalist but she's often impulsive and impatient.

It'd be different, I think, if the show rewarded or validated her approach. But she repeatedly fails to make any progress this way.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Great news for fans of Luther!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/mar/22/luther-movie-idris-elba

Third Season and a Movie! I honestly never thought we would get too see Luther again after Idris Elba became so big in hollywood so this has cheered me right up after the 19p increase on greggs sausage rolls made me sad earlier

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Two new seasons of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle! Brilliant.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
two more!? hooray :allears:

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Mr Owl posted:

Great news for fans of Luther!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/mar/22/luther-movie-idris-elba

Third Season and a Movie! I honestly never thought we would get too see Luther again after Idris Elba became so big in hollywood so this has cheered me right up after the 19p increase on greggs sausage rolls made me sad earlier

What? I used to have one of them with my last 50p when I was hungry, how much will they be after this hot pastry budget tax rise? I am livid.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Roidweiser posted:

What? I used to have one of them with my last 50p when I was hungry, how much will they be after this hot pastry budget tax rise? I am livid.

Depends on which area you're in.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Stewart Lee will have to write new material!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Where the gently caress is Peep Show?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

henpod posted:

Where the gently caress is Peep Show?

It's being made, but the writers have been super busy with other stuff. Last I heard the earliest the new series will be coming out is Summer.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Robert Webb's been busy in that loving awful dickens 'comedy' show.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Robert Webb's been busy in that loving awful dickens 'comedy' show.

And David Mitchell has been busy banging Victoria Coren. The bastard.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring has said he's recording a new podcast in May and June:

quote:

I am doing a new podcast chatshow at the Leicester Sq Theatre in May and June. Tickets only £12.50 with big comedy stars. May 7th Tim Minchin, June 18th Stewart Lee with more to follow. Book Now. They're selling fast - [url]http://​leicestersquaretheatre.ticketso​lve.com/shows/126524253/events[/url]
Finally, something new to listen to on the bus.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

drat, the Outnumbered kids got old (Sport Relief)

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Nevett posted:

drat, the Outnumbered kids got old (Sport Relief)

Was a great bit though.
It was nice seeing Christine Bleakley again. I've missed her since she left The One Show. I didn't even know she was dating Lampart.

I love evenings like these. Stricktly underwater was very nice.

Edit : This is a strange moment to realize that "Sue Barker" sounds just like "Chewbacca" when you say it fast.

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 23, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just finished catching up on The Thick Of It, and I've got to say the scenes with Tucker and Lord Nicholson are my personal favourites.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just finished catching up on The Thick Of It, and I've got to say the scenes with Tucker and Lord Nicholson are my personal favourites.

I will not eat the pissy biscuit!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

According to the commentary Alex MacQueen (Lord Nicholsan) can't stand onion bhajees.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Supposedly filming of series 4 started this month!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Metrication posted:

Supposedly filming of series 4 started this month!

I'm hoping he's really going to lay into the Lib Dems.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

From what I read there will be the main Tory minister and then the Lib Dem junior minister and the comedy will come from the fact that they hate each other.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
EAT THE CHEESE NICHOLSON

EAT THE CHEESE

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Metrication posted:

and the comedy will come from the fact that they hate each other.

Isn't this basically all good British comedy anyway?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jonnty posted:

I will not eat the pissy biscuit!

I'm the new Che Guevara, all I need is a new moustache and some laser correction eye treatment.

Looking eagerly forward to it. Especially if we see Glen and get more of his dry wit.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Jonnty posted:

Isn't this basically all good British comedy anyway?

True. Veep is looking pretty interesting so far.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Metrication posted:

From what I read there will be the main Tory minister and then the Lib Dem junior minister and the comedy will come from the fact that they hate each other.

Does that mean an all-new cast then? I'm assuming Peter Manion will be the Tory MP. Terry would still have her same job regardless of who's in government wouldn't she?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

workinonit posted:

Does that mean an all-new cast then? I'm assuming Peter Manion will be the Tory MP. Terry would still have her same job regardless of who's in government wouldn't she?

Yep, she's a civil servant. Unless she's had her post cut, though she was pretty senior it seemed so I doubt it. Pretty sure the tory SPADs will be back (the blonde one and the guy with long hair) and also the fucker introduced at the end of the last series and possibly the other spin doctor.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 24, 2012

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Spalec posted:

I'm surprised you don't need xbox gold to use it. Was that why it's appearing on xbox so much later than on the other consoles?

Well Microsoft had to build the platform to support TV apps first. The BBC started work at about the same time as C4 and C5, but delivered far later for various reasons.

Metrification posted:

All the attempts by technology companies have been pretty laughable so far, particularly Google's (yospos bitch etc). The content providers who make a living from TV are definitely going be more successful at this kind of thing in my opinion. At the very basic level they understand the market they are broadcasting to, something that Google and others have little knowledge.
And VoD will be more tightly integrated into the platform than with the applications things like Xbox, PS3 and TVs have currently. There are definite questions around whether it's going to arrive too late or not, but the fact that BT and TalkTalk will be pushing it out to their subscribers should give it a decent install base.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Last ever TV Burp was DIRE.

Not that the show didn't have its moments over the years with things like the amazing basking shark bit and randomly mocking BBC3 documentaries. In the earlier series it even had Gail "remember me? no I'd prefer not to" Tuesday on it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
This is the way the Burp ends.
Not with a bang but with an unfunny drawn out shart.

Testro
May 2, 2009
The best bit of Burp for me was the early Apprentice pisstakes.

I'm sure ITV bosses didn't like it being such a strong focus of the show, and it never seemed to air at the same time as the Apprentice run in later seasons.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The world now has a Mini Brooker. If he had any of his funny anger left in him, I fear it is now gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's ok, we'll get some sleep deprived, baby puke hating monster (hopefully).