Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
This. Is a shoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

fougera posted:

Sounds like a good time to talk about working with little to no sleep, any advice on surviving? Chewing gum wakes you up somewhat, and too much caffeine probably backfires.

This is a sad thing, but you your body will adapt. Back when I was doing 100 hr weeks regularly, yes you feel like a zombie, but you are surprisingly productive once your body adapts to the schedule. Exercise when you can and eat well...that's about it...and don't over use energy drinks/caffeine.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I need briefcase/laptop bag advice. My work gives me a laptop but no bag.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

fougera posted:

Sounds like a good time to talk about working with little to no sleep, any advice on surviving?

Two things - i) regular exercise as previously mentioned, and ii) be systematic and check everything twice.

e: if you do dip do not loving spit into a plastic bottle that you carry around with you because people will hate you

Thoogsby posted:

This. Is a shoe.

Prada bitches

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

According to Dealbook, you can even get your favorite Skoal flavor through Seamless: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/mealtime-moneyball-hacking-seamless/

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

According to Dealbook, you can even get your favorite Skoal flavor through Seamless: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/mealtime-moneyball-hacking-seamless/

Quote of the article: "I can’t order my Perrier anymore."

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Admirable Gusto posted:

e: if you do dip do not loving spit into a plastic bottle that you carry around with you because people will hate you

What I do in class is I get an empty soda fountain cup with a lid and straw. People think I'm drinking from it but I'm actually spitting through the straw into the cup. Classic.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'd like to get input on where IBD folks live assuming the office is downtown near Wall Street. I understand its best to live close but how close considering the surrounding areas? Lower East Side seems like an option, but how about Brooklyn or Jersey? The latter two wouldn't be more than 30 minutes I don't think, corrrect me if I'm wrong. It was a lot easier last summer when the office was in midtown.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

fougera posted:

I'd like to get input on where IBD folks live assuming the office is downtown near Wall Street. I understand its best to live close but how close considering the surrounding areas? Lower East Side seems like an option, but how about Brooklyn or Jersey? The latter two wouldn't be more than 30 minutes I don't think, corrrect me if I'm wrong. It was a lot easier last summer when the office was in midtown.

Live in Fidi its pretty cheap. Why would you ever live in Jersey or Brooklyn?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Swingline posted:

Live in Fidi its pretty cheap. Why would you ever live in Jersey or Brooklyn?

I've lived in both in the past and like how they are somewhat removed from the pace of things.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

My place in FiDi was cheaper than all the places I looked at in Brooklyn that weren't all the way out at Nostrand ave and I didn't want to live anywhere that was in a Dead Prez song.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

My place in FiDi was cheaper than all the places I looked at in Brooklyn that weren't all the way out at Nostrand ave and I didn't want to live anywhere that was in a Dead Prez song.

You could do deals for the Drugs & Mixtapes industry group. Great exit ops.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Live in Manhattan. You're young, you're making money, and you don't wanna commute 30 minutes to Brooklyn to go home every time you go out.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

Live in Manhattan. You're young, you're making money, and you don't wanna commute 30 minutes to Brooklyn to go home every time you go out.

I concur. And while FiDi is pretty dull on the weekends it's not like it's difficult to head over to the East Village. And in the summer you have the seaport/beekman's/stone street.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

More wardrobe chat.

Some aspiring rainmaker should buy this. drat shame it's not my size:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/291463/stunning-nwt-brooks-bros-golden-fleece-hand-tailored-staple-solid-navy-blue-suit-40r/0_15

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Greg Smith just went HAM on the ol' vampire squid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?hp

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I concur. And while FiDi is pretty dull on the weekends it's not like it's difficult to head over to the East Village. And in the summer you have the seaport/beekman's/stone street.

You're in Manhattan, there's millions of people and millions of bars in a few square mile radius, the neighborhood you live in isn't critical. Also cabs are dirt loving cheap compared to LA. Manhattan is the best place on Earth, people who live in Brooklyn loving baffle me.

Not sure I mentioned it but I just finished my second week at my new job. They do entertainment and media valuation opinions and advisory. On some pretty interesting engagements. Advising a major PE firm buying a movie studio, valuating a major record label's music catalogue, and developing a product that generates guidelines of what kinda movies to invest in based on historical performance for film investors. Working 60-80 hour weeks but it goes by so quickly, there's so much to learn and it's an interesting industry. Plus 80 hours really isn't awful, you work say 8:30AM to 10:30PM weekdays and put in 5 hours a day on the weekend and you're at 80 before you know it. Office is in the Century City area which is the place to work in Los Angeles, there's thousands of professionals around me including almost all of the major banking teams and half the people I went to school with.

On the topic of Greg Smith, I didn't think it was as big a bomb shell as people are making it out to be. Bankers aren't stock brokers, there's a much lower standard of fiduciary responsibility. And if stock brokers are still dialing their clients trying to push high commission products, what do you expect from bankers? There's a reason its called a pitch, when a banking team recommends something its a sales pitch to generate business and revenues not advice to someone they're obligated to act in the best interest in. Banking clients are supposed to be sophisticated investors capable of making independent investment decisions. Unless the engagement is specifically tasked with advising a client if they should or shouldn't do something, I see nothing wrong with a banker calling up a client and pitching/recommending a product GS has a lot of or is very profitable or say suggesting a complicated refinancing with relatively small savings and some sizable risks. At the end of the day bankers are glorified middlemen trying to make as much money as possible and facilitate capital market transactions. The idea that Wall Street is greedy and have interests that are not aligned with their clients should not shock anyone. The only way to change this is align banks and bankers interests with their clients or obligate them to act in their best interest. As to this Greg Smith he sounds like a high and mighty prick, who at 32 ruined his chance of working in his industry ever again over some nostalgic yearning for the good old days when capitalism didn't make banks greedy (hint it always has).

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
:siren: Breaking news: Greg Smith was a liar the whole time! :siren:

http://dealbreaker.com/2012/03/goldman-sachs-accuser-greg-smith-lied-about-that-which-he-holds-most-sacred/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

On the topic of Greg Smith, I didn't think it was as big a bomb shell as people are making it out to be. Bankers aren't stock brokers, there's a much lower standard of fiduciary responsibility. And if stock brokers are still dialing their clients trying to push high commission products, what do you expect from bankers? There's a reason its called a pitch, when a banking team recommends something its a sales pitch to generate business and revenues not advice to someone they're obligated to act in the best interest in. Banking clients are supposed to be sophisticated investors capable of making independent investment decisions. Unless the engagement is specifically tasked with advising a client if they should or shouldn't do something, I see nothing wrong with a banker calling up a client and pitching/recommending a product GS has a lot of or is very profitable or say suggesting a complicated refinancing with relatively small savings and some sizable risks. At the end of the day bankers are glorified middlemen trying to make as much money as possible and facilitate capital market transactions. The idea that Wall Street is greedy and have interests that are not aligned with their clients should not shock anyone. The only way to change this is align banks and bankers interests with their clients or obligate them to act in their best interest. As to this Greg Smith he sounds like a high and mighty prick, who at 32 ruined his chance of working in his industry ever again over some nostalgic yearning for the good old days when capitalism didn't make banks greedy (hint it always has).

I just find it obnoxious that everyone is reading his letter without any context in regards to the business he was in. He was a VP in the equity derivatives business. A business that deals with products that for the most part, are zero-sum products. Meaning someone is going to profit and someone is going to lose. It's an entirely different animal than M&A or other advisory businesses and commentators are trying to draw all these parallels to Goldman's other recent issues and they're grasping at straws. People seem to be perplexed by the idea that these banks are made up of several completely different businesses. Some of these businesses have clients, some have counter-parties.

I think there are still people, probably exclusively in advisory, that feel like their business still revolves around the long-term satisfaction of their clients. I think that's why you have people like these Morgan Stanley MDs leaving to start their own boutique.

Dreaming Android
Jan 8, 2011
Graduate recruitment is currently happening for the Australian banks. It's not a pretty hiring market right now, to be honest. RBS has divested it's Asian ops, so that's out. Citi is hiring any grads (apart from research), and I'm fairly sure Morgan Stanley took their fill of graduates from their interns. Luckily I pulled an interview with JP Morgan on Monday.

How's the entry-level job market over in the US right now? I can't imagine it's stellar either.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Dreaming Android posted:

Graduate recruitment is currently happening for the Australian banks. It's not a pretty hiring market right now, to be honest. RBS has divested it's Asian ops, so that's out. Citi is hiring any grads (apart from research), and I'm fairly sure Morgan Stanley took their fill of graduates from their interns. Luckily I pulled an interview with JP Morgan on Monday.

How's the entry-level job market over in the US right now? I can't imagine it's stellar either.

Last year was a bloodbath. My feeling is this year might be slightly better since the economy has picked up a bit but a lot of banks are still rolling out cuts (mostly in S&T).

My hope is to finish my (non-banking) internship and get an offer here as something to fall back on and then see what's out there during the full-time recruiting cycle.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Last year was a bloodbath. My feeling is this year might be slightly better since the economy has picked up a bit but a lot of banks are still rolling out cuts (mostly in S&T).

My hope is to finish my (non-banking) internship and get an offer here as something to fall back on and then see what's out there during the full-time recruiting cycle.

I'm hearing more positive feedback here in LA. I think there was a bit of an exaggerated finance cyclical hiring phenomenon in the satellites (everywhere but NY). We were more expendable in the crisis as being less core but also quicker to return in my perception. I think there's two reasons, we have less of the S&T and prop shops that laden banks with BS debt, and we covered more cyclical industries. Lots of friends I know who were banking caliber but got diverted to something else lateraled with no banking experience to entry levelesque gigs in tech and gaming banking teams recently. And at the college entry level standards have loosened, my old intern with a 3.5 got a summer with BoA.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Swingline posted:

Yeah that's why I'm fixing my sleep schedule 3 months early - since I knew it would take a few tries. Only problem is that going to bed at midnight is actually almost dysfunctional as a college junior. Midnight to 2 AM is prime hang out after you finished your work time and prime partying time.

Speaking of commute, I have two options this summer:

1. Sublet a room in a solid 3br apartment on 93rd and 3rd. I work in lower midtown so ~30 min commute by train? $3400 for the 3 months including random utilities and fees.
2. Get a room in lovely (6x8 lofted single, can't bring people (hopefully girls) back after 11pm because of security policy) SVA dorm <5min walk from my work for $3050.

I don't want to drop $4500 on NYU student housing and I have serious issues sleeping in a room share. Any time someone enters/exits the room, moves around, or does anything I wake up and can't sleep for hours. And I can't go to sleep before my roommate because just the knowledge that they will be coming in and going to bed at some point makes me not able to fall asleep. I know this from being in a double freshman year. It's not something I can just "get over" or anything I seriously can't sleep.

I'm really leaning towards option #1. I'm only working ~12 hours a day (buyside gently caress yall :snoop:) so commuting shouldn't kill me like it would in banking. Option #3 I guess would be to hold out for a gramercy or east village sublet to come up on craigslit but that seems risky to me.

If you are doing #1 try to swing it closer to 86th so you can take the 4 or 5 rather than the 6. It is a huge difference in time.

If you are trying to conserve cash and going out afterwards or just in general know your bus schedules. I used to work on 57th and lived on York. Options were the long rear end walk to the 6 and then switching to the N or grab the bus which picked me up outside my door and dropped me off outside the door to work.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

How are those your only two options?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/sub/mnh?query=summer&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=

I see a shitload more.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Its Miller Time posted:

How are those your only two options?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/sub/mnh?query=summer&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=

I see a shitload more.

Finding a sublet for the second half of may to first half of august was tough and it had to be under $1300 including utilities for me to consider it. I signed the lease on 93rd and 3rd last week pretty satisfied with the decision. Worst case scenario its only 3 months if I don't like it.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
Goldman vs Muppets

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0431c2b257/muppets-vs-goldman-sachs

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

re: NYC living.

Just filed my 2011 return and I paid about $1400 in NY State tax and $800 in NYC tax and I'm getting about $100 back between the two.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Thoogsby posted:

re: NYC living.

Just filed my 2011 return and I paid about $1400 in NY State tax and $800 in NYC tax and I'm getting about $100 back between the two.

Did you work and live in the city the whole year? That's really low.

ass tude
Jun 5, 2006
If I was interested in getting into Investment Banking, without having a related Bachelors degree in Economics, how would I build my resume? I graduated with a degree in the sciences, but am looking into switching career paths. I currently work full time, so would an internship help? What type of internship should I be looking for? What else should I do?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Did you work and live in the city the whole year? That's really low.

Worked there from January until the end of June.

rear end tude posted:

If I was interested in getting into Investment Banking, without having a related Bachelors degree in Economics, how would I build my resume? I graduated with a degree in the sciences, but am looking into switching career paths. I currently work full time, so would an internship help? What type of internship should I be looking for? What else should I do?

You might want to consider an MBA. Switching into IB from a completely unrelated field with no business background is no quick jump.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

rear end tude posted:

connections connections connections. You have to pound the pavement like you are doing sales. Start with your alumni network. Otherwise yeah, consider an MBA.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

rear end tude posted:

Just realize without an MBA it will only ever happen at a very small regional boutique if you're talking about a standard corp finance advisory analyst role. They recruit directly from graduating student pools or other banks for that. Backgrounds probably get a lot more diverse when you get into sales and back office stuff though.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I'm interning at a F10 rotational program right now and this week was our quarter close. My function isn't particularly crazy during the close and people have already started to take off for Easter so I'm just enjoying some catered steak tips and green bean almondine while I watch The Masters at my desk. Not a bad work day.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody planning on attending the Wall Street Oasis conference on July 28th? There's some pretty interesting information panels lined up. Planning on making what might be my second visit to the city for it and to visit NYU and Columbia GS. There's an information session at GS in late June I'd like to fly up for, but we'll see how my financial situation is in the next few weeks.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Anybody planning on attending the Wall Street Oasis conference on July 28th? There's some pretty interesting information panels lined up. Planning on making what might be my second visit to the city for it and to visit NYU and Columbia GS. There's an information session at GS in late June I'd like to fly up for, but we'll see how my financial situation is in the next few weeks.

I was thinking about going. Where did you see the details on the guests and information panels?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Everyone too busy working? I need a black briefcase recommendation.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Volkerball posted:

I was thinking about going, but I'm a consultant, not a banker. Still welcome?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Its Miller Time posted:

Coach's stuff is awesome...I prefer nice messenger bags. Kind of pricey though.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
a t per everyone else I suggest you get an MBA. Most straightforward path by far. I know quite a few people, from all sorts of backgrounds, who switched career paths into banking via an MBA. Some used to be in the military, some ran their own small businesses; there was even one guy who used to be a chip designer at Intel. This used to work pretty late in life too (like early thirties); not sure if it still does

Its Miller Time posted:

IMO may be too formal for LA. I used to carry around a cheap cloth freebie and really no one will judge you for doing that

But echoing Coach for something nice, and also the mid-level folks (ie. VPs and SVPs) at my previous firm were big fans of anything by Tumi (http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11122040&prodFindSrc=paramNav)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I know for a fact BAML is trying to fill an analyst spot on their Real Estate Capital Markets Syndicate desk in Charlotte if anyone is looking to lateral or is graduating without a job.

• Locked thread