Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've essentially been assuming everything was an illusion ever since they got on the continent. That didn't hold water once we got to all that development about Tarquin, because throwing all that away isn't Rich's style (unless he's way more ballsy than I think), but it's right back on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
We don't know how far under his own feet he really is.

What we see is a body.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The corpse is missing Girard's purple cloak. That could be the faintest of hints that this is a decoy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

The corpse is missing Girard's purple cloak. That could be the faintest of hints that this is a decoy.
I suspect it will be Haley who figures this one out. Roy is, quote "infuriatingly Lawful", though he is getting better about that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Or the cape is Girard's gate.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I hope Burlew never stops with the butt jokes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The gate could still be in the statues butt. It would br kind of dumb if they don't check.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think it's more likely now that the buttcrack joke is actually a riddle, since the answer to "Where is Girard?" was "Beneath his own feet", which actually meant beneath the feet of his own statue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or in the buttcrack of his own statue. Just saying if they don't even check they are morons.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...are you missing that Haley is clearly checking just that in the very first panel?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm pretty sure Haley is inspecting the statue's buttcrack in the first panel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I think it's more likely now that the buttcrack joke is actually a riddle, since the answer to "Where is Girard?" was "Beneath his own feet", which actually meant beneath the feet of his own statue.

I think "Girard's rift" really was just a joke that resulted in the party finding Girard's body. It's better than having Haley search the statue for no specific reason.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

ZeeToo posted:

We don't know how far under his own feet he really is.

What we see is a body.

Part of me wants to say that is ridiculously overcomplicating things.

The other part wants to congratulate your deviousness, and buy you a drink.

I so hope the deviousness is right. That would be cool.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I was thinking, would anything be funnier if this entire setup was a ruse and his family wasn't in on it? He created an epic ilusion of a gate and told his sons to protect it, so they created an insular clan of sorceror's kidnapping and casting high level magic on a temple where their "father's" body lay when in fact he's on the other side of the continent by himself

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

RickoniX posted:

I was thinking, would anything be funnier if this entire setup was a ruse and his family wasn't in on it? He created an epic ilusion of a gate and told his sons to protect it, so they created an insular clan of sorceror's kidnapping and casting high level magic on a temple where their "father's" body lay when in fact he's on the other side of the continent by himself

I think we can be confident the gate is in the general area, since they were found before Girard had the power to set up that kind of illusion and they're immobile enough to force the layout of the Sapphire Guard's throne room. I do find the rest of this theory amusing, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bartolimu posted:

I think we can be confident the gate is in the general area, since they were found before Girard had the power to set up that kind of illusion and they're immobile enough to force the layout of the Sapphire Guard's throne room. I do find the rest of this theory amusing, though.

Maybe it is concealed in the statue's butt/mouth by crafting the statue around it. The sapphire throne room had to be built up to meet the gate and the statue is built near the top of a giant pyramid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SirDan3k posted:

Maybe it is concealed in the statue's butt/mouth by crafting the statue around it. The sapphire throne room had to be built up to meet the gate and the statue is built near the top of a giant pyramid.

In that case the rift moved with the statue when Haley hit that switch.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm going to go with the statue being a fake-out and that wherever V got dumped will lead to the right place. Maybe with another statue. HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's statues of Girard Draketooth all the way down.

By the way, I'm sure someone already addressed it, but even if the skeleton is a big fakeout, Girard's dead anyway, isn't he?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's statues of Girard Draketooth all the way down.

By the way, I'm sure someone already addressed it, but even if the skeleton is a big fakeout, Girard's dead anyway, isn't he?

Well, he's 1/4 dragon and may have done some insane epic magic fuckery that allowed him to escape the Familicide.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm going to go with the statue being a fake-out and that wherever V got dumped will lead to the right place. Maybe with another statue. HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO

The pyramid is full of statues. Also, all members of the Draketooth clan are called Girard.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Slime posted:

The pyramid is full of statues. Also, all members of the Draketooth clan are called Girard.

When they finally find the Gate, it's beside a bunch of fake Gates. All constructed of real materials, just most of them aren't protecting anything. Every family member has been told a different Gate is the real one.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
That wasn't even a real corpse it was an extremely advanced facsimile of a corpse he's not an illusionist at all he is a really really good props and special effects guy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

run DNC posted:

That wasn't even a real corpse it was an extremely advanced facsimile of a corpse he's not an illusionist at all he is a really really good props and special effects guy.
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Epic-er magic beats epic magic, and Famlicide was cast at a caster level Girard Draketooth couldn't see with a stepladder and some binoculars. Give it up on the "it's an illusion" front, guys.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Epic-er magic beats epic magic, and Famlicide was cast at a caster level Girard Draketooth couldn't see with a stepladder and some binoculars. Give it up on the "it's an illusion" front, guys.

Just because you've faked your death doesn't mean you can't actually be dead!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Different avenue of speculation: what happened to Vaarsuvius? You'd think that Mr. Girard "put a giant bomb into my magic hologram" Draketooth would not mess around and just have a ton of very lethal traps in his hideout (see also the steps), yet V was dropped into some kind of hole. What would the purpose of that be?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

NihilCredo posted:

Different avenue of speculation: what happened to Vaarsuvius? You'd think that Mr. Girard "put a giant bomb into my magic hologram" Draketooth would not mess around and just have a ton of very lethal traps in his hideout (see also the steps), yet V was dropped into some kind of hole. What would the purpose of that be?

It's a pit. It's one of the traditional traps. Having the smasher above the pit means it does a ton of damage then disposes of the corpse. It did enough damage to take a 14th level Wizard from perfect health to exactly 0 hit points and unconscious. That's 36-37 hp on average, assuming max hp at first level and no Constitution bonus. That's not a lot for high level characters, sure, but it's enough to massacre any minions who got sent in first, and by stashing the remains in the pit you don't leave any shot up, burnt, electrocuted, or otherwise identifiable bodies to warn the next bunch.

It won't stop a determined high level party like the Order, the Guild, or Team Evil. But it will inconvenience them...which is about best case scenario for the first trap in the dungeon. Because you want to save your best traps for the room with the Gate in it, just in case your enemies find a way to teleport or go gaseous or ethereal or what have you past the outer defenses.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So how did the Familicide spell reach all the Draketooths if Girard was dead? You'd think his death would block it from passing onto his kin. Aren't their corpses evidence that he was alive when V cast his spell?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Vorgen posted:

So how did the Familicide spell reach all the Draketooths if Girard was dead? You'd think his death would block it from passing onto his kin. Aren't their corpses evidence that he was alive when V cast his spell?

Technically, the dragon he cast it on in the first place was also dead. The spell didn't care.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vorgen posted:

Familicide gives no fucks whether or not Girard was dead. If you die, your grandchild dies; doesn't matter if the intervening generation is dead. Everyone in the Draketooth clan was directly blood-related to the black dragon V cast it on.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

run DNC posted:

The Gates don't exist at all. It was all an elaborate prank by Girard using epic illusion spells that went off when the foci were destroyed, along with epic enchantment spells to modify people's memories about them threatening the world in the past. In the last strip Girard will appear and say "punked!'.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Factor_VIII posted:

The Gates don't exist at all. It was all an elaborate prank by Girard using epic illusion spells that went off when the foci were destroyed, along with epic enchantment spells to modify people's memories about them threatening the world in the past. In the last strip Girard will appear and say "punked!'.

I want so very badly to end a D&D campaign this way. A multiple year, once-weekly D&D campaign.

...as long as I don't have to pay for the stitches.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Seriously it's best not to put much thought into Familicide's mechanics, Burlew certainly didn't

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

RentACop posted:

Seriously it's best not to put much thought into Familicide's mechanics, Burlew certainly didn't

yes he did

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Pope Guilty posted:

I want so very badly to end a D&D campaign this way. A multiple year, once-weekly D&D campaign.

This was probably the worst post for me to read while procrastinating on prep for the final session of a 3 1/4 year campaign whose big bad is a trickster god...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I did something similar once, although only to end a four month campaign. It wasn't really all that funny, even to me. Just a flat note to what was otherwise a perfectly fine superhero game.

Don't.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Pope Guilty posted:

One of my friends was in a five year, first level to high 30s campaign in which they literally killed the Guardian of Worlds, the great Wyrm that protects the world. Why? Because they could. The world was ending all around them and the universe was about to collapse in on itself due to the huge power vacuum created in the spirit world due to their actions, so the entire pantheon of gods stepped in and said "No no no, sorry, not gonna happen" and time traveled to undo their rise to power, killing each PC while they were still in their infancy.

The group didn't respond well to the DM.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Please tell me the DM made them actually play the god verses mewling infant combat encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I feel like an Epic Wizard should have been able to prevent that.