Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Flying High posted:

What characters do you like to use and what game are you playing mostly with that team? Rush down, keep away, or a mixture of the two?

If you playing a keep away team you should either add Doom and use missiles or Strider's Vajira, or use Haggar because his assist is still good, not godlike like before.

Using either of these assists will lock down your opponent so they cannot get in to stop your keep away game, with missiles you can spam those characters beams to chip the opponent out when they are in block stun. And with Vajira i believe Iron Man and Deadpool can combo after Vajira hits the opponent in the air, so you can do some good damage off that assist, and with haggar if your fast enough you can still combo after haggar hits your opponent if you hit them before they recover out of it.

If it is rush down your looking for, Drones are the best assist for rushing down in the game, that and Akuma's Tastu are very good rush down assists, you don't need a beam assist because you have Iron Man's Beam.

Give us some more info of what characters you like to help you out with your team

To answer your question I pretty much play defensively until there is something on the screen that allows me to rush down. Even though Iron Man is pretty safe during his airdash, its pretty bad at getting in. I have a lot of success with Iron Man on point but its mainly because I just use his air normals/Unibeam/and air Smart Bombs until I frustrate them into coming at me in which case I go for an ADDB j.H or j.S and tag them into the Krispy Kreme combo. Or I do a combo off anti-air Repulsar Blast. Iron Man's biggest problem is upback and outside of just throwing someone toward the corner or fuzzy guard setups there's not much you can do to stop chicken guarding (which is kind of what I was using Quick Work for).

I started using drones after I saw an Iron Man player named Jk8r who plays Magneto/Iron Man/Sentinel use them, but I wasn't really utilizing them that much so I thought maybe there was another character/assist I can use that could be more beneficial than Sentinel, plus I HATE playing the big robot on point. Strider sounds like he could work in the spot.

I will also be testing Doom and Akuma in the anchor slot, as well as Frank West in 2nd slot with Deadpool on point and Iron Man as anchor. I have never tried Anchor Man before but I think I've leveled up my Iron Man enough to play him in anchor slot at this point. He has 1.37 million 0 bar combos in LVL 2 and 3 X-Factor! Doom's missiles might work better than Drones for creating space/an opportunity to rush down, and combo extensions are piss easy compared to drones since Hidden missiles OTG. I could probably just call them during the launcher part of the Krispy Kreme combo with the same timing I did with drones, let them OTG, then do H Reuplsar Blast xx Spread, M Smart Bombs + Quick Work, H Repulsar Blast xx Spread xx Proton Cannon or Iron Avenger or do j.L after Spread and go for a reset. Once again similar to drones.

The other thing to mention is I am really not a fan of DHC synergy between Iron Man and Deadpool. You need to end Proton Canon early either way, and you're either DHCing into Happy Happy Trigger which clips the bottom of their feet and barely does any damage, or Cutting Time which has a "fatter" hitbox and DHCs clean but does less damage. The upside to this is with Doom or Sentinel extensions Iron Man's bnb is doing around 860k anyway and there is very potent reset potential there.

There was some sick synergy between Deadpool and Frank West demonstrated in a video, using bola loops and raw tags, but I can't find the video. Does anyone else have it?

Dren posted:

What is your problem with RR? Pretty much any character is dangerous in XF3 so you can kind of pick anyone to be anchor.

Is Dren your SRK name? If it is, I'm FuLLBLeeD on SRK and actually sent you a PM (which you replied to) this morning. Haha, small world.

I don't think all characters are created equal when it comes to X-Factor Anchors. Sentinel is still a massive target and losing to most zoning characters. I think Iron Man or Deadpool would be a better anchor (and IM will be anchor if I run the Frank West team).

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I had a boatload of success with Deadpool as anchor in vanilla. Granted any character can kill off in one combo with XF3, he can get combo off of nearly anything you would be using with him alone into a launcher, then his easy-peasy MMHS Katanarama-Chimichangas H cr.HS HS Trigger Happy OTG. Then again we're all scrubby so who knows how well it works in the real world!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Deadpool definitely looks like a better anchor to me than the other choices. It's much easier to get a clean, effective DHC off of something like Anti-Air Proton Cannon into Doom's upward super than off of Happy Happy Trigger. There might also be something you can do with Rocket Raccoon in second if you're interested in giving him a shot again - didn't he gain a lot out of an OTG?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
SpaceBees it sounds like your biggest issue is up-back against your Iron Man. You can stop chicken guarding by airthrowing or by hitting people with a low as they land and start to jump again. A low can catch them in their prejump frames where they cannot block low. The downside to trying to catch them low is that they can hit you with an overhead jump attack if they see you going for the low.

You can combat their option of going for a jump overhead by calling an assist to lock them down so that they can't try to hit you. An assistless option is to use a low that is also good AA, such as Wolverine's c.M. You could also try a low with a really low hitbox and good range. IM's c.M might be good. Nova's c.M, Deadpool and Frank West's c.Hs, or really any slide in the game could be good.

There are plenty of options for the assist but consider drones. A lot of the time you can get into a zoning pattern and safely call drones. Once drones are out there you can rush down with either IM or Deadpool. A lot of players will try to chicken guard at this point and generally they need to jump back twice in order to get away from/block all of the drones because of how long drones stay on the screen. To take advantage of this you need to plink dash or wavedash. If you plink dash at someone who has started to up back when the drones came out you will be able to move forward faster than they can move back. If you dash fast enough/from the right distance you will catch up to them after their first jump and cross under them during their second jump.

When you catch up to them after their first jump you can hit them low to catch them during startup of their second jump. If you elect to cross under you can either go for a raw launcher or, if the drones hit, you can try to confirm off of drones. If they're in the corner you won't cross under so go for the low.

You should be able to use a lot of assists in order to protect you while you go for the low. RR's log trap should be excellent for this purpose.

I'm surprised you're not liking log trap since it seems like it would fit well into your style of IM play. I am envisioning fly, drop smart bombs, ADDF (or back, or down) + call log trap, j.H or j.S. That seems like it would be a total pain in the rear end to deal with. If they block the j.H/S you'll be in there so try to hit them with a c.M or do a Nova-esque sj ADD j.M to try to overhead them. Or even go for jump back + j.dH xx ADD c.M.

Also, I haven't tried this but drones ought to be able to extend the IM combo. Call them such that they will catch the opponent after you OTG with smart bombs. The first two drones will juggle the opponent, giving you time to pick them up with Repulsar Blast and extend the combo a bit. Have you seen Tatsu's Deadpool combo that uses drones? It would work a bit like that. Tatsu calls drones right before doing his final launcher then after the j.S he OTG's with L guns. The L guns pick up the opponent a little bit, allowing them to be hit by the drones. Tatsu then lands and does Cuttin' Time (which I don't understand since it does less damage).

When organizing a team I believe you should pick your team to maximize the strength of your point character. Pick who you want to play on point first then pick two assists that help your point out. It's best if your anchor's assist helps your second character out as well as your point character. So for your anchor pick someone who you feel gives you a chance to make a comeback and who has a good assist for your first two characters. All of the characters you listed have good assists. Frank West shopping cart, RR log trap, Akuma Tatsu, any Doom assist, Strider Vajra, and Sent Drones. There are more good assists in the game. Honestly, you can pick any of them and have them help your team. Choose whichever character you feel comfortable having on anchor. The most important thing is that you like them and feel like you can win with them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ever though about using Vergil as an anchor? Although I'm not sure how much meter IM and Deadpool use though and anchor Vergil pretty much needs meter to stay alive.

Care to elaborate? I've been meaning to pick up virgil, along with doom and a third guy, and I'd like to know what a good gameplan with virgil is. So far I've been abusing his teleport and try to catch the other guy off uard but they quicly catch on, and I'd like to be more than a one trick pony

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

McCloud posted:

Care to elaborate? I've been meaning to pick up virgil, along with doom and a third guy, and I'd like to know what a good gameplan with virgil is. So far I've been abusing his teleport and try to catch the other guy off uard but they quicly catch on, and I'd like to be more than a one trick pony
Use iron man or doom's beam assist to cover Vergil teleporting. Ta-da! Relatively safe teleport instead of completely unsafe teleport.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Someone please teach me to block Frank West's slide.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Dren posted:

Someone please teach me to block Frank West's slide.

Here's a handy guide to fighting 99% of Frank West players:

-If they're in front of you, they're going to slide.
-If they're above you, they're going to knee drop.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

rocket USA posted:

I know this and for some reason I still press buttons and get hit. It's like when I fight Frank West my brain turns off.

Tonight I played a guy who was 49-0, beat him and got the message "I hope you don't think you're good." lol.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Dren posted:

I know this and for some reason I still press buttons and get hit. It's like when I fight Frank West my brain turns off.

Tonight I played a guy who was 49-0, beat him and got the message "I hope you don't think you're good." lol.

"No, I just know you're worse."

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Would the vita version of this game be worth buying for someone who hasn't bought it on the ps3, or is the ps3 version just superior in every way?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dren posted:

"Oops sorry, forgot to ragequit."

ninja edit: That's what his message actually meant, in case you were wondering.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

rocket USA posted:

This is completely true and no one ever follows it and it's great

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Lucinice posted:

Would the vita version of this game be worth buying for someone who hasn't bought it on the ps3, or is the ps3 version just superior in every way?

The game is better on PS3, but very close on the Vita. If you want to use an arcade stick (obviously), play the best people online, or just hate load times then get it on PS3.

The Vita port is very good but the load times suck compared to PS3. I can play stick or pad and the Vita pad is VERY good and I almost prefer it to the Dualshock3. Also the better players will be on PS3 online due to just being able to use an arcade stick.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

rocket USA posted:

I don't think I have ever had problems with Frank West at Neutral.

Here are the things I notice Frank actually doing.

1)That Assist
2)DHC combos into him
3)Roll+Assist 50/50 mixup on new character coming in

Not to say he doesn't have tools at neutral they just don't feel as good as many of the other characters. Dodge roll is really good and can be scary just by Frank having it as an option though.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
The only problem I have with Frank at level 1 is that Magneto's l and h trijumps whiff over his small crouching body.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Niddhogg posted:

The only problem I have with Frank at level 1 is that Magneto's l and h trijumps whiff over his small crouching body.

Vipers L trijump does hit so yeah no problem.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

sexart posted:

The game is better on PS3, but very close on the Vita. If you want to use an arcade stick (obviously), play the best people online, or just hate load times then get it on PS3.

The Vita port is very good but the load times suck compared to PS3. I can play stick or pad and the Vita pad is VERY good and I almost prefer it to the Dualshock3. Also the better players will be on PS3 online due to just being able to use an arcade stick.

Well the PS3 version has better players but which has more active players online?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So I picked this up because I loved MVC2, and didn't have any fighters on my PS3. I suck balls at this game.

Is there some kind of bootcamp videos or docs I can read to get me ready? Or do I just practice the basics offline and try to put together some W's online? Whenever I go online, I just get combo'd to death before I can do anything, I feel like there's no escape from the juggling air combo stuff.

How do I escape and get back into the fight if I get knocked into the air?

So far my team is Wolverine/Ryu/Dr Doom, are those all poo poo characters?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Loving Life Partner posted:

So I picked this up because I loved MVC2, and didn't have any fighters on my PS3. I suck balls at this game.

Is there some kind of bootcamp videos or docs I can read to get me ready? Or do I just practice the basics offline and try to put together some W's online? Whenever I go online, I just get combo'd to death before I can do anything, I feel like there's no escape from the juggling air combo stuff.

How do I escape and get back into the fight if I get knocked into the air?

So far my team is Wolverine/Ryu/Dr Doom, are those all poo poo characters?

Those characters are fine, but you'll definitely want to go to shoryuken.com and read up on the basics and stuff first.

You can go to each individual character forum and see what combos/setups/assists work for them and how to conduct offense safely and effectively.

As for learning how to block, that's just playing a lot and seeing all the various stuff people will throw at you.

Also, get used to seeing this a lot.
(⌐■_■)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
( •_•) - You are nothing to me!

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, the team I will be testing next will be Deadpool/Frank West/Iron Man followed by Iron Man/Deadpool/Doom or Iron Man/Deadpool/Akuma. I really hope the first team works out though. I should be able to do some cool stuff from Deadpool into Frank in terms of leveling up and Iron Man's Unibeam will help both characters.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Lucinice posted:

Well the PS3 version has better players but which has more active players online?

Probably the version for the system that's been out for years and years. Probably.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I am having a hell of a time doing zipline midscreen combos with Spencer. I keep trying to do the zipline forward, then down-forward, but I can't figure out what to do after that that'll give me another relauncher, I thought it was j.H then S when you hit the ground but it's not going for me, am I missing something?

Bonus round: what can I do after a ground pound other than cancelling into armor piercer into grapple super?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I am having a hell of a time doing zipline midscreen combos with Spencer. I keep trying to do the zipline forward, then down-forward, but I can't figure out what to do after that that'll give me another relauncher, I thought it was j.H then S when you hit the ground but it's not going for me, am I missing something?

Bonus round: what can I do after a ground pound other than cancelling into armor piercer into grapple super?

Not a Spencer player but are you pressing S while you're still in the air?

Oh and Loving Life Partner, Wolverine and Doom are both very good. Ryu is good. However, Wesker is widely regarded as the most noob friendly and the cheapest/best character.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

If its early in the combo (Say you do magic series -> air magic series then bomber on the way down) then you can do MHS xx upgrapple.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

SpaceBees posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, the team I will be testing next will be Deadpool/Frank West/Iron Man followed by Iron Man/Deadpool/Doom or Iron Man/Deadpool/Akuma. I really hope the first team works out though. I should be able to do some cool stuff from Deadpool into Frank in terms of leveling up and Iron Man's Unibeam will help both characters.

Run Doom on POIIINT for Frank for a super easy DHC to level four or put him on Hidden Missiles assist for a fairly simple combo to level 4 for Frank.

It's LMHS, MMHS, j.Tools of Survival H otg M S, (Call Hidden Missiles at the same time or slightly before S) MMHS, Camera (Missiles Land), Camera, Cancel into Shopping Cart Super (The shopping cart should hit them in the legs about 3 times before wall bouncing them) S, j.S, Camera.

NOW YOU'RE LEVEL FOUR

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Dren posted:

Not a Spencer player but are you pressing S while you're still in the air?

No, I'm trying to press H right before I hit the ground then S right when I touch.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

No, I'm trying to press H right before I hit the ground then S right when I touch.

I'm not sure what problem you're having but if the problem is that the S doesn't come out at all then that can be caused by pressing S before you hit the ground.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

I'm Deadpool/Iron Man/Doom now. I should have just done this earlier. Doom is loving awesome and Hidden Missiles allows Deadpool and Iron Man to extend combos and do some cool stuff. Plus Doom isn't a complete piece of poo poo anchor like Sentinel is.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

I'm Deadpool/Iron Man/Doom now. I should have just done this earlier. Doom is loving awesome and Hidden Missiles allows Deadpool and Iron Man to extend combos and do some cool stuff. Plus Doom isn't a complete piece of poo poo anchor like Sentinel is.

I have to disagree with you there.

Sentinel has been such a great anchor for me. I've made the most retarded comebacks with him. Getting a s.H into M rocket punch xx HSF and then turning on x factor and going bananas? Works just too damned well.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Anchor is the only spot you should really put sent in because once you get used to his speed in x-factor it's basically marvel 2 all over again with sents fly buff

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I like sent on anchor too. In XF3 he's fast and his braindead combos kill anyone. Plus he can fly and run out people's xfactor. But if you like Doom, Doom's foot dive loops do crazy damage in XF3 and he has retardedly easy stuff like XFGC + lvl3.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
I finally got Doom's combos down (running Captain America/Doom/Wesker) but when Doom is on point I have no idea what to do to get in aside from throwing out foot dives and airdash j.M's. Usually I try to keep them away and when they get in throw out a c.L and hope I get lucky. I think I'm going to put Sent on anchor instead of Wesker because I seriously don't get any utility out of the gunshot assist (but I am also really bad at this game and just got demoted to fighter from 9th lord :cripes:)

edit: I also finally realized that the SFIV SE stick I bought used on Amazon has full Sanwa parts in it already, I think the stick was a steal for the $40 I paid

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
You can also open people up with Doom by doing trijump c.L and backward throws (both air and ground). Mix things up by playing keepaway with his finger lasers, Plasma Beam, and j.H.

The gunshot assist is better for characters that can't OTG, and Doom can do that easily with s.H. Sentinel is a good decision (but if you feel like you're missing out by not having Wesker on your team it has some utility for Cap).

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
I think whatever utility Wesker gives Cap is negligible enough to put Sentinel on anchor in his place. I'm going to start running Cap (shield)/Doom (missiles)/ Sent(drones). I had Cap (shield)/Doom (beam)/Wesker (gun) before and I found myself pretty much never using Wesker's assist except for the occasional high/low.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Drones is a much better assist for Cap because he has his own OTG already, and what he needs is a good projectile assist to do stupid backflip mixups. If he was gonna use any Wesker assist, ghost butterfly at least wall bounces to help him get more damage off of combos.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
One thing I've been really annoyed by with Dooms is when they fly then airdash all around the top of the screen to control more space than if they just superjumped and flew. Then they wait for you to try to come up and get them and they foot dive your rear end. Or if you don't come up there they foot dive your rear end anyway because they have Doom and foot dive always wins. It's way harder to deal with a Doom who is above you and moving all around than it is to deal with one who is just above you.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Shoutout to whoever beat me online with nothing but Ghost Rider's j.S and drones assist. I was worried I was going to have a good day today :mad:

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I've been seeing a lot of Ghostriders online lately. It's pretty annoying. They're pretty easy to beat, but sometimes they'll get me with an xfactor cancel into a penance stare and I get so drat salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

"My hairs on fire" - Nicholas Cage while playing UMvC3 on PSN using a two bar wifi connection.

• Locked thread