Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have no idea what that is, so assume no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

spincube posted:

If you're using 2-step authorisation on your Google account (i.e. you need to use the Authenticator app to supply a verification number every thirty days), they've released a new version on the Market as a separate app. You'll need to install the new app and run it, let it switch over to the new app, and then uninstall the old app.

What is the app for? I've been using 2-step auth for a long time and have never needed to renew anything related to my phone; those have application-specific passwords that don't expire.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

What is the app for? I've been using 2-step auth for a long time and have never needed to renew anything related to my phone; those have application-specific passwords that don't expire.
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1037451

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So it's for apps that I specifically want to have unrevokable access that expires in 30 days instead of having permanent (but revokable anytime) access, I guess?

I mean, I see this:

quote:

Google Authenticator is a mobile application that allows you to generate 2-step verification codes on your smartphone without a network connection.
but what's the point of generating an auth code if you don't have a network connection? What are you going to use it for?

If you did have a network connection, you'd be able to either just use the normal verification service via SMS or phone, or make an app-specific non-expiring password in the browser.

I still don't get it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I have no idea what that is, so assume no.
C2DM pushes the messages to you rather than the app staying awake eating your battery making regular pull requests.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

IM+ Pro has been really great on my tablet. I'm pretty sure they use C2DM, too.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Didn't see there was another page, sorry.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there like, an android emulator for the pc? I wanna get an android game and play it but I don't have the money for an android phone or a new plan.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there like, an android emulator for the pc? I wanna get an android game and play it but I don't have the money for an android phone or a new plan.

The Android SDK has a built-in emulator, but it sucks out loud if you want to do anything faster than in geologic time.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There is an Android emulator that comes with the SDK, and some people have put the Market app on there though I've never tried. It'll probably run terribly, though there is an x86 version of the emulator now which should run okay - assuming the game runs on it at all.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html
http://androidcommunity.com/install-the-android-market-on-the-android-emulator-20101127/

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Amazon app store has a pretty good web-based one, but they will have had to have set it up with the game you want, they don't offer that with all their games. edit: Look up game and it will have a big green button "test drive this app"

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 23, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you afford something like a used Nook Color? Emulation is generally horrible (I've never understood why) and getting Market apps downloaded to an emulator is worse.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

So it's for apps that I specifically want to have unrevokable access that expires in 30 days instead of having permanent (but revokable anytime) access, I guess?

I mean, I see this:

but what's the point of generating an auth code if you don't have a network connection? What are you going to use it for?

If you did have a network connection, you'd be able to either just use the normal verification service via SMS or phone, or make an app-specific non-expiring password in the browser.

I still don't get it.

It's not for apps, per se. It's used to generate codes for logging in to your Google account.

Every 30 days, I have to enter the code generated by the app on my phone before I can log in to my Google account. It's just another (faster?) way of getting that code. It removes a point of failure. If you can't get a text or a voice message, you can still log in to your account.

The main point of the app doesn't have anything to do with having or not having a network connection...that's just something it can do. I guess if you don't have WiFi or cell connection when trying to log in to your Google account at your PC.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with it? I've never used it since it's not the 90s and no one uses IM anymore but I'm just curious.

For one, it looks like complete poo poo. It was tolerable in Gingerbread when the entire OS looked like poo poo but when you compare it to the stock ICS gTalk client it's really dated looking. I get weird hangups with it too like the entire interface will lock up for a few seconds and it seems to lock up in the background from time to time where I'll get 3 or 4 backlogged IM's all at once. But really, it just looks like poo poo.

As for FB chat, the official client is pretty good honestly. It ties into the Android sharing API, auto resends failed messages and has some pretty nice alert settings.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

LastInLine posted:

Are you using Light Flow or not? If not, in the Google Voice app, Settings, Notifications and Sync, Select ringtone. If so, make sure that's enable and in the Light Flow app be sure that it isn't overriding Google Voice.

If you're using carrier voicemail (and why would you), I don't think there are separate notification settings for voicemail unless there is some sort of app associated with it.

I do use Light Flow but only for the LED, not anything else. It's annoying that GV only has one notification sound and not separate for SMS and VM. I was hoping integrating into ICS VM would let me set a sound for it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I guess if you don't have WiFi or cell connection when trying to log in to your Google account at your PC.

Thaaat makes more sense. Sorry!

There's nothing obvious in the language on that page that suggests they're talking about Google apps on the PC rather than on an Android device. v:shobon:v

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's finally here! Goons will never need to plug in to power again! (see if you can spot my review :flashfap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shake.charge

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Set up a virtual machine with this!
http://www.android-x86.org/

Unlike the SDK Emulator, it doesn't suck balls.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Shanakin posted:

The SDK emulator actually has an x86 image now as well.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂ†

Shanakin posted:

Does it support ARM emulation? Because if the app uses native code and has no x86 binaries it won't run.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's finally here! Goons will never need to plug in to power again! (see if you can spot my review :flashfap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shake.charge

Hahaha, what the hell is this? Even if it actually worked, there's no way a thing like this would require those permissions. I can't believe people actually fall for this.:psyduck:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SpacePig posted:

Hahaha, what the hell is this? Even if it actually worked, there's no way a thing like this would require those permissions. I can't believe people actually fall for this.:psyduck:

It's 100% joke, for sure. I don't care about the permissions. I only installed it long enough to write a glowing review.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rovio explains why they're just now putting out a paid version of Angry Birds on the Market

According to Rovio, it's really hard to get paid apps to sell in the Play Store, and it just "hasn't made sense" to sell a paid version. I'm guessing this is just a trial to see if Angry Birds Space works as a paid app.

Peter Vesterbacka from Rovio posted:

The top developers offering paid downloads on Android, the numbers are single-digit millions at best. We are in the hundreds of millions on Android, so just it hasn't made sense.

Verge is telling Android users to just buy a spare battery if you want free apps and, if this trend continues, the future of Android itself is in danger.

Peter Vesterbacka from Rovio posted:

I've been waiting for Google to get the Android Market in better shape and they're moving in the right direction with Google Play [...] they're making things work better so paid content actually makes sense on the Android side.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
So 1weather is getting on my tits now too. It randomly won't update the radar when it refreshes, even when I manually tell it to, and it shows weather alerts for counties 50-100 miles north of me, but not the one I'm in. Is it too much to ask for a weather app that isn't horribly broken in some way?

Maephit
May 6, 2007
I just released a pretty awesome Android application a day before yesterday and could use some feedback/recommendations on UI/overall performance. Also, I am trying to get the word out, as I think it would be pretty useful for most people (just bought a banner ad)

Basically, the app uses your instantaneous speed and acceleration, acquired by the GPS, to give an accurate estimate of your fuel economy while you drive. The app promotes better driving habits to reduce fuel consumption for the average driver.

There is a free version.. so check it out! https://www.openroadmobile.com

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
This seems like a bit of a long shot, but is there an app that will wirelessly (over wifi) sync my music from my PC to my SD card on a schedule (like every night at 3am)?

edit: bonus if it can just sync folders rather than requiring iTunes or similar.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maephit posted:

I just released a pretty awesome Android application a day before yesterday and could use some feedback/recommendations on UI/overall performance. Also, I am trying to get the word out, as I think it would be pretty useful for most people (just bought a banner ad)

It'd be nice to see a custom car option where the user could enter the city/highway economy themselves (not surprisingly my Japanese market car is not in the database)

Also the selector to choose what units to display is too small and difficult to change

Looks like and interesting concept though - will be interesting to see how it compares to my real world economy.

Maephit
May 6, 2007
Ooh. Custom car is a great idea. Also yea, that selector is too small for some reason... I'll fix that.

Will whip those fixes up in next release.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This seems like a bit of a long shot, but is there an app that will wirelessly (over wifi) sync my music from my PC to my SD card on a schedule (like every night at 3am)?

edit: bonus if it can just sync folders rather than requiring iTunes or similar.

You might want to check out TuneSync. I don't know if it'll do folders, but I believe it can do schedules. Not sure if you can get that fine grained though.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
I'm a bit nervous asking this because I'm pretty sure I'm being a dumb rear end, but...

How do you start a new thread in a forum? Once I'm in Ask/Tell for example I don't see any way of starting a brand new thread. Tried on honeycomb tablet and ics gnex.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NiVRaM88 posted:

I'm a bit nervous asking this because I'm pretty sure I'm being a dumb rear end, but...

How do you start a new thread in a forum? Once I'm in Ask/Tell for example I don't see any way of starting a brand new thread. Tried on honeycomb tablet and ics gnex.
One, this is the wrong thread to ask the question and two, you can't.

Maephit
May 6, 2007

dissss posted:

It'd be nice to see a custom car option where the user could enter the city/highway economy themselves (not surprisingly my Japanese market car is not in the database)

Also the selector to choose what units to display is too small and difficult to change

Looks like and interesting concept though - will be interesting to see how it compares to my real world economy.

New version in the market!

- Implemented your "custom car" feature
- Fixed the display size for those units
- Addressed a bug with "trip cost" not being correct for L/100km
- Fixed a bug with post-to-facebook

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, Google Reader interface: Do you guys prefer gReader or GoodNews?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
gReader was slow and weird whenever I used it. I'm haven't really found much better than the standard Google Reader app myself. Especially since it is able to make shortcuts for labels and it interfaces with widgets like this

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 24, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

NiVRaM88 posted:

Assuming you're talking about the Awful app, you can't, because it was decided it's impossible to make a good OP from a phone or tablet. :downs:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So 1weather is getting on my tits now too. It randomly won't update the radar when it refreshes, even when I manually tell it to, and it shows weather alerts for counties 50-100 miles north of me, but not the one I'm in. Is it too much to ask for a weather app that isn't horribly broken in some way?

Have you tried WeatherBug?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

A Pinball Wizard posted:

BeWeather is working great for me.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Craptacular! posted:

Pulse

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Craptacular! posted:

gReader is great if, like me, all you want to do is skim a bunch of headlines looking for interesting stories (and rarely finding them). Otherwise you're probably better off with something like Pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've never found an app as good as Readers mobile website for my usage. On a typical day I have about 1500 new items to at least skim through, and I need to mark previous as read very easily.

The official client almost works but it does some sort of load-as-you-scroll that causes the list to jump around unpredictably.

I've tried the others in the past but they all sucked at this usage in some manner.

I'll need to give them a try again now that I'm on a Gnex.

• Locked thread