Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

Sockington posted:

How thrashed are the bushings? They can be cheap but labour intensive.

All the rubber underneath looks pretty beat. Does it matter what I replace it with (in terms of what class the car ends up in, or in terms of actualy performance)?

I know the leaf spring bushing in my 1966 Scout were a torturous project. The ball joints on my 1982 F150 were insanely siezed, so that was a mess too. I'm not a stranger to sucky projects, so I should probably put this one on my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would say screw it and put urethane bushings. It sounded like you weren't going to goto Nationals, so you shouldn't have issues of people going underneath your car to protest your hella illegal urethane bushings on your 30 year old car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CatBus posted:

Is it worth going with non-standard pads (metallic sintered or ceramic).

If you aren't planning to put sticky tires on it, then stock OEM pads should be more than sufficient to lock up normal tires, hence, they provide more than sufficient braking.

If you plan to road-race it or something, then you need to consider fade, but not really for autocross or normal road use.

If you go to a special pad, you have to worry about dusting, how well they work cold, noise, etc.

Edit: If you go with urethane bushings it will change your car class (if that matters to you). Also, urethane will introduce a higher level of NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), but may (should) crispen up the suspension compared to floppy rubber OEM bushings.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

The Locator posted:

If you plan to do any motorsports in a vehicle equipped with a roll-bar or cage, get the SA (they are designed to survive getting beat against a cage while driving in rally's and other stupid stuff, M ratings will die).
This is essentially incorrect.
Last summer, I went through both Snell M and SA ratings with a fine toothed comb looking for the differences between the two, as well as the ECE rating for Europe, and I could only find two primary differences between M and SA ratings.

http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/SA2010/sak2010_final
http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/m2010_final

* SA is *allowed* (but not required to have) a smaller viewport than M.
* SA linings are *required* to be fireproof.

The impact ratings are actually identical.

SA2010 posted:

The helmet shall provide peripheral visual clearance as measured using a reference head form appropriate to the size of the helmet. This peripheral vision includes a horizontal clearance of at least 180º, an upward clearance of at least 5º and a downward clearance of at least 20º.

M2010 posted:

The helmet shall provide peripheral visual clearance as measured using a reference head form appropriate to the size of the helmet. This peripheral vision includes a horizontal clearance of at least 210º, an upward clearance of at least 7º and a downward clearance of at least 30º.

SA2010 posted:

Table 5 Peak Acceleration Criteria
Head Form
A 275 G
C 275 G
E 275 G
J 275 G
M 264 G
O 243 G

M2010 posted:

Table 5 Peak Acceleration Criteria
Head Form
A 275 G
C 275 G
E 275 G
J 275 G
M 264 G
O 243 G

Of course, "Fireproof" finds its way into a LOT of motorsports requirements, for obvious reasons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CatBus posted:

Is there anything else you would suggest (aside from tires, since I'm not going to spring for those)?
Brake fade is not a dominant concern at autocross events; in fact, there have been some National level competitors who have drilled their own brake rotors to reduce unsprung weight. Bleed and replace the brake fluid to improve feel and make sure that your other essential fluids are up to date (primarily motor oil and coolant, but also gear oil).

As Sock said, it's worthwhile throwing some bushings at the car. If you have the right tools and werewithal, replacing the trailing arm bushings is frequently recommended for Z32 300ZXes. It doesn't matter what you replace the bushings with, but availability might be a big problem - often older Japanese cars don't have kits for a specific application, in which case you'll want to measure the existing bushings and then use something like the Whiteline "find by size" tool to find an interchangeable bushing from another car's kit.

Weight reduction will always make the car more entertaining; road noise and discomfort will increase but it doesn't go along with keeping the car stock. Even a stock car benefits from having the spare tire, tools, etc removed before an event, however, though usually I just drive there and then take everything out and dump it in a pile.

Obviously the most important thing is to make sure you pass your local events' safety inspection. If your series allows self-tech, you should still do it to make sure everything is legit. You'd be surprised at how fast a badly torqued wheel or slightly wonky wheel bearing can go wrong.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 5, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Jabs posted:

This is essentially incorrect.

No, hes right. The snell website lists the 3 differences between SA and M and #3 is that SA helmets are tested for multiple collisions with a roll bar while M is not.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anyone coming to the Dixie Region National Tour? I'll be working the event and most likely driving my car (Black BMW E30, 273 STX). I'll be there Friday night through Sunday.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Muffinpox posted:

No, hes right. The snell website lists the 3 differences between SA and M and #3 is that SA helmets are tested for multiple collisions with a roll bar while M is not.
Fair enough. I missed that - probably because that wasn't my direct focus, comparison with ECE 22.05 was.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

That's some good advice, everyone. Thanks!

The car is super clean inside and out, with good plastics (though faded), good carpet, and no rust. I'm not going to be stripping the interior or anything, so I think the rubber bushings and normal pads sound like a good plan. I am just considering doing a few casual autocross events because I think it would be fun, and I don't want the car just sitting.

I wish the CKRSCCA would update their page more than once a year, but at least their forum has the dates for this year.
http://www.ckrscca.org/joomla/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Photographer at our last event had some pretty good timing on one of my runs, got a nice slalom sequence.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Holy BALLS you are a conehumper.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, those of you in southern ontario/toronto area, PITL dates are up.

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/seriesinfo.html

I'm bringing my dad to either the first or 2nd one as a birthday present. He's got a few stories of road rallying his old spitfire back in the day, so this should be a great time. And the electrical stuff won't catch fire/release all its magic just 'cause Lucas asked for it back.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I took my Miata out for it's first autocross on sunday. I did the worst I've ever done. It started out snowing, then freezing rain, then it stopped for awhile, but then when the line started drying out a little during my runs it started pouring again. So the combination of really wet and cold track, and the POS Zexius tires that came with the car, I didn't get a single good run. I could barely use any throttle or else I would break traction. I at least got some fun drifts in at the turn arounds.

Edit: I got 50th overall out of 50 entrants for the day. FML.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I'm bringing my dad to either the first or 2nd one as a birthday present.

Great! Rematch time!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Had our first event last weekend. Lost by about a second to the other CSP car but still did fairly well. 19/104 raw, 30/104 PAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_8tUB_ork&hd=1

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Well I took my Miata out for it's first autocross on sunday. I did the worst I've ever done. It started out snowing, then freezing rain, then it stopped for awhile, but then when the line started drying out a little during my runs it started pouring again. So the combination of really wet and cold track, and the POS Zexius tires that came with the car, I didn't get a single good run. I could barely use any throttle or else I would break traction. I at least got some fun drifts in at the turn arounds.

Edit: I got 50th overall out of 50 entrants for the day. FML.

This was me on my first event on my old tires in the miata. Don't worry, next event I had a better idea of where my traction limits were, and got in half decent times. ;)

Ziploc posted:

Great! Rematch time!

Hmm? He's never autox'd, and I already know you're going to beat me :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Great! Rematch time!

Maybe I can squeek the Miata out for one event. It's a hell of a drive though. :sweatdrop:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Photographer at our last event had some pretty good timing on one of my runs, got a nice slalom sequence.

You`re not doing it right unless you`re walking every cone but keeping it in the box :colbert:

I`ll be attending the Marana event this Sunday, it`s been too long since a race. I think this one will kill off the rest of my RS3s tread though, got a whole year out of them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Watching Dissimo in his STR Miata at the Dixie tour was like that. Holy poo poo that man was flying through the slaloms. It takes a hell of a driver to make a 99 Miata in STR trim beat out a S2000CR.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

You`re not doing it right unless you`re walking every cone but keeping it in the box :colbert:
On a rare day, I've been known to do that. Usually though, I just hit them really hard and make different parts fall off my car.

Podothehobbit posted:

I`ll be attending the Marana event this Sunday, it`s been too long since a race. I think this one will kill off the rest of my RS3s tread though, got a whole year out of them.
I have a conflict with that event, and in any case, no money in the tire fund, so it's unlikely that I'll make it to Marana until the Fall.

Still working out how to make both Taylor events this summer, just to get the heck out of the valley a couple of times.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

On a rare day, I've been known to do that. Usually though, I just hit them really hard and make different parts fall off my car.

I have a conflict with that event, and in any case, no money in the tire fund, so it's unlikely that I'll make it to Marana until the Fall.

Still working out how to make both Taylor events this summer, just to get the heck out of the valley a couple of times.

Well that`s a shame about Marana but those Taylor events look like they`ll be a blast. As it is Marana is looking at a pretty big showing, when I registered on Wednesday I was entry 48.

At least I can finally rock my sponsorship decals. Poovey Farms will dominate....at destroying cones.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Fun time to be had at the Marana race today. A big turnout and some very good racers out there. I managed my best run after mis-shifting and breaking the rear a few times. Time to get a fresh set of tires for the car, are RS3s still in vogue or are there bigger and greater tires out there now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIzatEL8Gl0

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 26, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're looking for R-S3s in 15" right now, good luck. There are no new tires for this year, so it's a toss up between what your car needs and what size wheels you're willing to run.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

If you're looking for R-S3s in 15" right now, good luck. There are no new tires for this year, so it's a toss up between what your car needs and what size wheels you're willing to run.

Yeah I saw that Tirerack was out of them....crazy! I guess I could go the Direzza StarSpec route. I wonder why the shortage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hankook's supply chain is fairly antiquated: They make tires, put it in a shipping container and ship it to the US. The US Hankook distributor only knows what is coming to the US when they receive the shipping container and open it up.

It's the year 2012 and this is still happening.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Podothehobbit posted:

Fun time to be had at the Marana race today. A big turnout and some very good racers out there. I managed my best run after mis-shifting and breaking the rear a few times. Time to get a fresh set of tires for the car, are RS3s still in vogue or are there bigger and greater tires out there now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIzatEL8Gl0

Mount mount behind the seat or in the interior somewhere. I want to see how you work that thing from the inside.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Mount mount behind the seat or in the interior somewhere. I want to see how you work that thing from the inside.

I'll try to next race....the answer is it looking like fighting a roided out FWD econobox, lots of fun....a little frustration.

Phone- That is retarded. Hankook needs a kick in the butt to the present.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Did my first autocross this weekend. Forgot to start the video on all my runs accept for my fastest non cone eating run. Could have been faster though, lifted because of a guy changing a cone in front of me. I didnt have any one who was very experienced ride with me. There were about 180 people there my pax time put me at about 100. Didnt feel bad and I had a blast despite only getting 4 runs. Will be doing this more for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V7dI0r4SqU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Sadi posted:

Did my first autocross this weekend. Forgot to start the video on all my runs accept for my fastest non cone eating run. Could have been faster though, lifted because of a guy changing a cone in front of me. I didnt have any one who was very experienced ride with me. There were about 180 people there my pax time put me at about 100. Didnt feel bad and I had a blast despite only getting 4 runs. Will be doing this more for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V7dI0r4SqU

It looks like a pretty decent run and if that was your first event I would be scared if I was in the same club as you!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
A vid from Saturday's event shows a few inches in some key places can mean a half second difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zltzx1Mp_1c&feature=youtu.be

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
Well first post and thought I would drop in on one of my favorite summer activities.

A friend introduced me to AutoX back in college and back then I was driving my 01 Mustand GT *auto*. It is pretty much as stock as can be save for some Flows and a set of Kumho V710's. While it wasn't the fastes FStock car ever, it did provide to be a good learning car on how to drive smoothly and get a good taste of what AutoX was all about.

This last year, I got myself a Valentines Day present. A 08 Saturn Sky Redline with only 5300 miles on the clock. It was the perfect impracticle roadster to have as a fun car. I always liked the way they looked and the stats on them were really good so after going for a test drive, well I had to have it. (Parents were out looking at possible "gas friendly" cars to replace a Tahoe with and I had to spot this gem, go figure)

Either way, the AutoX season soon started and after trying it out on street tires, I decided this cannot do and ordered a set of 295 Hoosiers, a stock size set of race wheels, and an alignment. Coming up 3 races behind in the season I was able to nab 2nd place from the collection of C4 Vette "Vets" that had always owned the BStock class. Not sure many from this area were expecting a little 4cyl roadster to come up and compete head to head with the C4's that were fully setup to own the class year after year.

*Sky Pre A5's...

My dad also races a 98 C5 in the AS class and also came up from behind to win the AS class last season. It is a lot more competitive now that the base C5 is no longer in SS with all the Z06's.

I have a lot of GoPro video that I need to tinker with an make into a watchable video of Me, my dad, and a few friends with a 350Z, 328i, and a few others. The best footage IMO is when I mount the thing on my helmit and give a raised headcam view of the runs. The footage turned out pretty dang good.

So there's a little bit of my racing history. I hope to dig around these forums and find other interesting topics that rouse my interest.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Well, my first autocross went pretty well, and I had a great time. The first event of the CKRSCCA season was Sunday, and I loaded up the Datsun with some tools and gear for the day. Of course the car died twice on the way there, and about 10 times between the grid and starting line, but it was fine after that.

About 75 cars showed up, and the weather was beautiful. Everyone seemed pretty friendly, and not too cutthroat (at least the people I talked to). I asked someone to ride along on my first run, and I was glad to have the advice from a seasoned driver. After the first run, I realized that I have never really pushed a car before (though I have pushed my motorcycles pretty hard on and off road). I don't think I had even put the pedal to the floor in a car before Sunday.

Anyway, the first run was pretty conservative, especially since I was new to the car and the style of driving. My times progressed pretty steadily:
52sec
49sec
46sec (but I hit a cone)
46sec
45sec

I ended up second-slowest overall (the top two raw times were ~33.7sec), but that was fine with me. I was happy with how the car performed, and I had fun. I rode along in a new WRX that ran a 36 second run, and it was a pretty different experience from my 280zx. I think the Z is tame enough to give me a smooth learning curve.

I will definitely be going back for more!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Brigdh posted:

A vid from Saturday's event shows a few inches in some key places can mean a half second difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zltzx1Mp_1c&feature=youtu.be

This is an awesome video, thanks for sharing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

dustywusty posted:

This is an awesome video, thanks for sharing.

Have another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0aN5qiJEU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
H Stock legal status: achieved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really like that they changed the stock rules this year to allow rear sway bars. If we hadn't just lost our only local autocross venue I'd have given some serious consideration to running my beater in H-stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Mazda2 with a rear sway bar (lol antiquated torsion beam) is a complete hoot. For a FWD car with no power, I was doing my fair share of spinning out and sliding through corners.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really like that they changed the stock rules this year to allow rear sway bars. If we hadn't just lost our only local autocross venue I'd have given some serious consideration to running my beater in H-stock.

I know that front sway bars were allowed to be messed with last year, now it says "Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware" So that means you can mess with the front or the rear one now? That can be big for some cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, either a front OR rear. I put a rear bar on my 2 and it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dang that will help a few friends of mine. This could mix up stuff a good bit in the stock class this season. My region starts later this month, but dang I should have been looking around at nearby ones as they have been running since early March. Would have been good practice.

• Locked thread