Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Acceptableloss posted:

I think you should use this one. A word of warning: the Centurion head is quite small, as small as the plastic heads that come with that kit.

Thanks, I think that's the one I will go with. I appreciate the heads-up on the Centurion head, too - I might order the Devastator head as a backup for if I gently caress up the Grendadier (or just don't like it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
They had an open field test for both games, and we got what we have now (which is a mostly balanced game with some wacky "early mk2" outliers)

I think the variety of casters and units you see in competitive play is a really good sign. Yeah every faction seems to have a couple of junk units and casters that should have a small buff, but its not a dire situation and most stuff is totally useable.

Good players are broken, not casters/factions/etc.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

They had an open field test for both games, and we got what we have now (which is a mostly balanced game with some wacky "early mk2" outliers)

I think the variety of casters and units you see in competitive play is a really good sign. Yeah every faction seems to have a couple of junk units and casters that should have a small buff, but its not a dire situation and most stuff is totally useable.

Good players are broken, not casters/factions/etc.

It seems like every major tournament brings out something else that is 'broken'. I like what they've done; everything is overpowered and broken. When X becomes crazy powerful, somebody brings out a 'worthless' caster that makes a good counter, and now Y is crazy powerful.

There are a few things that feel like total bullshit, but rarely does their addition completely break the game and make it unfun. That's about the best you can ask for with such a varied and complicated game.

Except DJ Thunder. gently caress him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The thing with Warmachine is that there are a lot of possible interactions and synergies that can make balance a little weird. A unit might be pretty 'Meh' with one caster, and pretty great with another. So people are down on Sea Dogs, but they aren't a bad unit at all. They do require a bigger investment in solos to work out, but they can be pretty powerful. The only person undefeated in our store league so far is running Shae + Sea Dogs! We'll see how that holds as the league goes on.

Anyway, I am going to keep pestering you guys with conversion questions! For reasons I don't fully understand, I have a Journeyman Warcaster (I don't play Cygnar, which is why this is weird). But, I am lacking an Officer for my Amethyst Rose Gun Mages, and I have been debating trying to convert her into one. The weapon loadout is the same (sword and pistol) and it would basically mean thinning down some of the armor in exchange for more cloth. Because the Amethyst Rose is not a proper military group, I sort of like the idea of their 'Officer' being something like a home-grown Warcaster-in-training who has been picked up by the Resistance.

I realise this would not be tournament legal in any way. My concern is that it might be confusing for people, because they'll actually have a 'jack chilling with them and be allocating them stuff. What do you think? Worth a try?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Since the search isnt working correctly I have to ask this question. I appologise if it's already been asked.

For my Hordes faction (because I havent spent enough money) I wanted to play Skorne.

Any suggestions for caster combinations? Id only go as high as 35 points for now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Ashcans posted:

I have a Journeyman Warcaster (I don't play Cygnar, which is why this is weird). But, I am lacking an Officer for my Amethyst Rose Gun Mages, and I have been debating trying to convert her into one.
I think it would be really hard. If you are a really good sculptor and can do clothing then it could be done by filing down all of the warcaster armor and then adding on gun mage clothes, but otherwise, too confusing. Maybe if you put a dapper hat on her with a feather in it?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

For my Hordes faction (because I havent spent enough money) I wanted to play Skorne.

Any suggestions for caster combinations? Id only go as high as 35 points for now.
eMakeda with Molik Karn and a gladiator is really good I hear. Idk how to build a skorne army though. But with that as a core you can probably add whatever else you want and not go wrong.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 23, 2012

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Ashcans posted:

The only person undefeated in our store league so far is running Shae + Sea Dogs! We'll see how that holds as the league goes on.

Shae rocks with Sea Dogs. Especially if running his T4 list (which he should always be) because that means you're getting Hawk/Walls/Rockbottom for 1pt each. Sea Dogs + those support solos + Shae and his feat are lightning fast, accurate, tough, and hit like a freight train. Yes, if you just take a unit of sea dogs and no support with a caster that does nothing for them, they're "meh." But when you layer those buffs... =)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Since the search isnt working correctly I have to ask this question. I appologise if it's already been asked.

What do you have already?

EDIT: If you're brand new, I'm sure other people can recommend other things, but my friend says to get a battlebox, Bronzeback Titan, Paingivers, and an Agonizer. That's 25 points or so. He runs those plus Nihilators and a Cyclops Brute (which you could convert from one of the Savages from the box) in almost every list. If you wanted a second caster to play with right away, he recommends eHexeris (Lord Arbiter Hexeris) or Tyrant Xerxis.

EDIT AGAIN: PV, who knows much more about Skorne than I do, beat my edit in, but given that we've listed exactly the same things I think I'm on the right track. :)

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id say play pMorghoul as one of your casters, and Hexeris1 or 2 or either makeda as your second caster.

Must haves:

Gladiator
Bronzeback or Molik
full paingivers
agonizer

e: and full venators+UA or nihilators (or both)
and tyrant commander

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 23, 2012

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I'd go so far as to say Bronzeback AND Molik; his model is super cheap. I'd totally rock one of the Hexy's, they both have amazing spell lists and do awesome things. Nihilators are pretty well regarded as top notch infantry that runs well with anyone, so I'd echo the suggestion to pick up a box of them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh yeah, nihilators or full venators+UA. Tack that onto my list.

Arguably you should own both, but I think I would start with the venator reivers if I was restarting skorne.

They are a phenomenal ranged unit, one of the best in the game. The min unit+UA is a great deal for 7 points too. 2 man POW 14 CRA's (at large based targets)at range 16 (minifeat) and then reform? Hot drat.

Also: Tyrant Commander

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
As a new Skorne player myself, something I would urge is be very careful about what troops you buy. Troops tend to be pretty big investments ($30-$50 at least) and so you can find your budget maxed out pretty quickly, and stuck with a list you aren't happy with. I picked up a pair of Arcuarii boxes, and while they are by no means terrible, they pretty severely limited my next few purchases.

If I had to do it over I would get the battle box + the must haves (bronzeback, paingivers, etc), play 4-5 games at like 15-20 points, then decide on 2-3 casters that I want to play. I would then try to pick up some troops that all 3 could run well. In my case I like Naaresh, eHexeris, and Xerxis, so Nihilators are an excellent investment for me, whereas if the various Makeda's are more your style, Praetorian Swordsmen would probably be a good choice.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I have nothing Skorne related right now (and only half my Menoth order arrived) so pick up a battle box and go from there with your suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions! Goons really are the best........unless they start eating pet food, then they become like gods.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh, and one thing that attackbacon just reminded me of: Dont play theme lists. Theyre not for new players. Theyre restrictive and make you buy duplicate units that you wont use in other lists.

Just pretend those 5 pages in your army book dont exist for the next 6 months or so.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
You need to be careful what you buy, because after all Skorne is the army that spawned the word skornergy: having units that make each other worse.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Most skornegy are actually abilities that sort of cancel each other out, like 2 abilities that trigger at boxed and you have to pick one of them so the other doesnt work, like Hexeris1 feating and then soulfiring a dude. You get the feat effect or the free fury, but not both.

There arent really any skornegies with units, other than maybe trying to run ancestral guardians and immortals together, which starves the AGs of the souls they need to function well.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

PaintVagrant posted:

Oh, and one thing that attackbacon just reminded me of: Dont play theme lists. Theyre not for new players. Theyre restrictive and make you buy duplicate units that you wont use in other lists.

Just pretend those 5 pages in your army book dont exist for the next 6 months or so.

Unless you're playing Rasheth Tier 4 like a boss :dealwithit:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm also new at Skorne, and I started with the battlebox, converted a savage into a brute, and got a unit of paingivers. Slap an Agonizer in there and you are off into 15 pts games. Then I threw caution to the wind and got a Bronzeback because that is one happy-go-lucky dude:

He also makes it an even 25 pts.

After that I started picking up the versatile units, such as Basilisk Krea, Shaman, Aptimus Marketh, Swamp Gobbers and such. Oh, and got bogged down by work and private stuff so I haven't had a chance to play games bigger than 15 pts.

I would recommend the first parts of this experience, but not the last.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 23, 2012

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PaintVagrant posted:

This is true, however a friend of mine rocks a t4 30+ immortals Zaal tier that's pretty loving brutal. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that let me tell you. :v:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Another starting out tip I learned the hard way: BattleCollege is awesome, but if they say "oh man this is awesome you should totally take full Xerxis Tier" THEY ARE WRONG. BattleCollege has a bad case of NOTHING IS BAD, EVERYTHING IS GREAT, which is largely true, but there is quite a bit of stuff that can get you burned starting out, before you know all the incredibly specific match-ups in which it's useful.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Battle College is good to get a general idea of what a model can do. It is by NO means a bible to be taken at word for word.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Washout posted:

I think it would be really hard. If you are a really good sculptor and can do clothing then it could be done by filing down all of the warcaster armor and then adding on gun mage clothes, but otherwise, too confusing. Maybe if you put a dapper hat on her with a feather in it?

Yea, you're probably right. I am not a great sculptor, especially in the realm of cloth (which is just hard as hell to get right). I might be able to pull off a hat, though, so maybe I'll take a swing at that and see how it goes before doing anything else. I'll probably just put the model back into a box until I eventually get around to starting some Cygnar. :v:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Finished painting my 35-point army! I've got more than that painted, but this is the first time I've been able to put the army I want to play on the table and have it all be done.

My last barrier was eKrueger and the Tharn Ravager White Mane. Both models had been sitting unhappy, half-basecoated, on my shelf for over a year. Please ignore my finger.

LOW-QUALITY ARMY SHOT

Larger pics, and the rest of my painted stuff, at http://sulecrist.imgur.com/all/

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good job bro. Having a whole army painted is basically the most rewarding thing in this hobby.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Wife, who plays Circle, really loves those autumn bases. I think they look great too.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Krueger played by Samuel L. Jackson?

"That's it! I'm tired of these motherfuckin' Menites on my motherfuckin' Caen!"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

Good job bro. Having a whole army painted is basically the most rewarding thing in this hobby.

Personally, I hate everything about modeling, I just like playing. Gluing, green stuffing, basing, painting can all go suck a nut. I just wanna play.

Of course, my hands are really shaky so it's hard for me to do any degree of detailing so that's probably why I hate it.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Tanon posted:

Battle College is good to get a general idea of what a model can do. It is by NO means a bible to be taken at word for word.

This this this. Battle College is for seeing what units can do, not for list building advice.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks everybody! I'm really pumped about it too. I've only got a few unpainted Circle left, but I think I'm going to get my Khador up to 25 points painted next, which should take me until mid-May at this rate. (10 of those points are Nyss Hunters, so they'll work for my Circle, too.)

Verdugo, tell your wife it was super easy. I just got a little container of autumn-colored spongey stuff (Army Painter I believe?) and glued it in places that contrasted with the colors on the model. It unifies the army and distracts the eye from a lot of my mistakes, and if she hasn't based her stuff yet, I highly recommend she dump colorful crap all over her bases. And thanks!

Sab669, I actually have really shaky hands, too. I had to teach myself to brace both arms and control my breathing, but a lot of my painting is just timing and gently steering the shakes into laying paint onto the model. Also, bright light is critical. I don't do detail work at all on a day that it's really bad, just block out color or even just basecoat. Even an all-brown (or blue, or red) dude is better than a part-black-spray-but-not-in-the-crevices dude.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

This this this. Battle College is for seeing what units can do, not for list building advice.

Where's the best place for list advice?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Malloreon posted:

Where's the best place for list advice?

I rely on:

-the Something Awful Forums
-Muse On Minis, Focus & Fury (and their boards/blogs, sometimes)
-IRC: #tinypewtermen
-local tournament-regulars in my FLGS

You're going to have to take what people say with a grain of salt, but at least there's a little bit of accountability. I'm pretty new and the nicest thing about #4 is that a lot of times you can see their cards or, if you're super gentle, borrow their dudes for proxy games!

EDIT: The nicest thing is actually that they can watch you and give you meaningful feedback, actually. But borrowing models is definitely a perk.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Do not, and I repeat DO NOT take anything from the Privateer Press forums without a major grain of salt. There are certain people (Neutralyze, Lord Tyrant Watt, sepher62, phatasian are a few) that you can pay attention to what they say, but the vast majority are whiners and criers. Generally, asking in this thread gets you pretty decent suggestions, I've discovered. We got some pretty smart players here.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
List help!

How does this look? Feel free to call me dumb.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Khador
Casters: 1/1
Zevanna Agha, the Old Witch of Khador (*3pts)
* Behemoth (13pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Greylord Ternion (Leader and 2 Grunts) (4pts)
Kayazy Eliminators (Leader and Grunt) (3pts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (4pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Widowmaker Marksman (2pts)
Yuri the Axe (3pts)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Relatively solid, but lacking a bigger unit of infantry to really benefit from Iron Flesh and hold objectives. Fine if you're just playing caster kill, I think, though the relative vulnerability of your solos will limit your ability to carve through massed infantry.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Does this make more sense?

Faction: Khador
Zevanna Agha, the Old Witch of Khador (*3pts)
* Behemoth (13pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Greylord Ternion (Leader and 2 Grunts) (4pts)
Iron Fang Pikemen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Kayazy Eliminators (Leader and Grunt) (3pts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (4pts)
Widowmaker Marksman (2pts)
Yuri the Axe (3pts)

Thinking either Yuri or Eiryss in the last 3 point slot.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Alright I built this list literally out of stuff I already own, is it actually playable at all? I love the idea of a sniped buccaneer and gunmages getting crit brutals on every double but 1s on knocked down stuff, especially on feat turn. All I have to buy to run this list is Eiryss, but is p or e the better way to go for most playability?

Faction: Highborn Covenant
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Mule (8pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Buccaneer (3pts)
Precursor Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Precursor Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

I'd love to throw a Wroughthammer Rockram marshalled to thor in there, but it's hard to justify the cost (points and dollars)

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 24, 2012

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The rule usually is, get p if you have some form of dispel or don't need to worry about debuffs and e if you want something to help with debuffs and dispelling troublesome buffs.

I'd say in general though eEiryss is more useful.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Washout posted:

The rule usually is, get p if you have some form of dispel or don't need to worry about debuffs and e if you want something to help with debuffs and dispelling troublesome buffs.

I'd say in general though eEiryss is more useful.

Yeah, I only really have two Warmachine armies, one of them is stacked with spell ward, blessed and purgation. Removing upkeep spells from enemy models is something I actually try to avoid most of the time. It's a hard call because I can see why eEiryss is more useful, I might pick her up anyways and just call it done (and her model is cooler)

...actually I might just get both, pEiryss is like 8 bucks at my store.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
33/35

Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Seether (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall(2pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
PistolWraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

How to fill the last two points? I'm thinking gorman for utility or a raider captain to run with the raiders. Whatever I get I have to buy it, unless I drop the pistol wraith and put in the withershadow combine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I would drop the pistol wraith, gaspy in either incarnation has little synergy with them. But he can get a lot out of the various abilities of the combine.

• Locked thread