Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RiggenBlaque posted:

Founders is going to start distributing to places in NY other than NYC for the first time within the next two months. Just in time for me leaving the state for CT, which doesn't get Founders :( What a bad streak of luck

Anyone have experience with beer in CT?

Which area of CT? If you're in Fairfield County, there's a lot of great places to pick up craft beer. And if you're near enough to the southwestern CT/NY border, Portchester Beer Distributor is just a short drive away to pick up Founders, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of food and beer pairings, some of you might enjoy this article, even though they misspelled "crustacean."
There are some decent suggestions in there, but they missed the classic (to the point the beer and dish evolved the same name) porter-and-steak pairing that was common in British public houses and is still great to this day. Stouts are fine with steaks, sure, but porters are both delicious and thoroughly traditional.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

Old Guardian's a little different this year than the 2010 version. Remember, the even years for OG are the "default" recipe and the odd years are the "Belgo" versions - while I've never had a clear answer on what that means to Stone (pretty sure it's just a yeast thing), I'm quite partial to the odd years, though the 2012 "default" recipe was tweaked from the 2010 version and I think they've made some nice changes. I actually LOVE drinking b'wines in the summer, and it's tasting just fine to me right now.

Also, it seems to be one of the slowest-moving beers in their lineup...compared to their IRS or other Stone seasonals, it lasts the longest in stores and frequently gets marked down, making it even harder to not stock up for the whole year.

Speaking of which, when does Stone IRS typically get released? It's one of my favorite imperial stouts, especially after having the 2007 vintage on tap a couple months ago.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Wamsutta posted:

Which area of CT? If you're in Fairfield County, there's a lot of great places to pick up craft beer. And if you're near enough to the southwestern CT/NY border, Portchester Beer Distributor is just a short drive away to pick up Founders, etc.

New Haven

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RiggenBlaque posted:

New Haven

I'm not that familiar with shops in New Haven, but I do know they have a sweet-rear end taproom: http://www.prime16.com/

New England Brewing Co is very close, in Woodbridge. They have a tasting area and do growler fills. They never update their website but Like them on Facebook to keep current on them. If you haven't had Gandhi Bot and you enjoy hoppy beers you will come to love NEBCO. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/357

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

crazyfish posted:

Speaking of which, when does Stone IRS typically get released? It's one of my favorite imperial stouts, especially after having the 2007 vintage on tap a couple months ago.

4/20 is when they're tapping it at the brewery & retail shop, and looking through their calendar of events it's the first time it appears on the schedule in any way so I'm gonna guess right around then. The bottle release should be concurrent with the tap premiere if history/other beers are any indication.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
April is indeed the release. I love IRS and it's always nice to have it come out around my birthday.

As for the odd years program. They still offer the regular recipe, but they also bottle the Anise. I know there's places that still have the Anise IRS on the shelves from last year while the regular version flew off rather quickly.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Wamsutta posted:

I'm not that familiar with shops in New Haven, but I do know they have a sweet-rear end taproom: http://www.prime16.com/

New England Brewing Co is very close, in Woodbridge. They have a tasting area and do growler fills. They never update their website but Like them on Facebook to keep current on them. If you haven't had Gandhi Bot and you enjoy hoppy beers you will come to love NEBCO. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/357

Yeah, I went to Prime 16 when I visited the area and that place alone prevented me from completely filling with dread at the prospect of moving to that area. I also went to this place Amity Wine & Spirit Co on my way into town and the selection was decent, but I was surprised at how little New England Brewing Co they had. I think I saw their scotch ale and that was it - hopefully the selection is better at other places.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I finally found some Stone RIS at a shop around me.... but it's the Belgo-Anise version. Bleh.

I haven't had Old Guardian in a few years. Based on the above comments I may get a bottle soon.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Anyone had the DFH Saison du Buff?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

CalvinDooglas posted:

I finally found some Stone RIS at a shop around me.... but it's the Belgo-Anise version. Bleh.

I haven't had Old Guardian in a few years. Based on the above comments I may get a bottle soon.
that Belgo anise poo poo is disgusting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Retemnav posted:

Anyone had the DFH Saison du Buff?

It's one of the more spicy/herb flavored (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme if I recall) saisons. Definitely a DFH "off-centered" approach to the style. A little too effervescent and carbonated for me. I prefer the Victory one out of the three because of how citrusy and refreshing it is.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

air- posted:

It's one of the more spicy/herb flavored (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme if I recall) saisons. Definitely a DFH "off-centered" approach to the style. A little too effervescent and carbonated for me. I prefer the Victory one out of the three because of how citrusy and refreshing it is.

That beer was a great slice of brewing philosophy. DFH makes it centered on the oddball ingredients, Stone makes a heavily resinous hop centered saison, while the Victory focused on making each of the ingredients show up in a balanced and refreshing beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Wamsutta posted:

that Belgo anise poo poo is disgusting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think I'm the only person who actually likes (loves) that beer. They had it available for growler fills about a month ago and I filled a pair of em. NO REGRETS

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BoredByThis posted:

That beer was a great slice of brewing philosophy. DFH makes it centered on the oddball ingredients, Stone makes a heavily resinous hop centered saison, while the Victory focused on making each of the ingredients show up in a balanced and refreshing beer.

Don't forget Colette! Colette is my favorite saison (domestic) in existence, more or less. Helios is pretty great when its fresh, but its generally neglected in my neck of the woods.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I liked the Great Lakes saisson, but apparently it is pretty polarizing. I'd buy it pretty often if it was available here.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

wattershed posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think I'm the only person who actually likes (loves) that beer. They had it available for growler fills about a month ago and I filled a pair of em. NO REGRETS
I mean if you enjoy drinking licorice, then

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pro forklift drivers over at Goose Island!

https://twitter.com/#!/jalaffler/status/182918446290448384/photo/1

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

LeeMajors posted:

Don't forget Colette! Colette is my favorite saison (domestic) in existence, more or less. Helios is pretty great when its fresh, but its generally neglected in my neck of the woods.

Oh, I was just talking about the fact that it took the same brewing concept, style, and adjunct ingredients and handed them to breweries with three distinct brewing philosophies, and three distinct beers very indicative of those philosophies came out. I never forget Colette.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BoredByThis posted:

Oh, I was just talking about the fact that it took the same brewing concept, style, and adjunct ingredients and handed them to breweries with three distinct brewing philosophies, and three distinct beers very indicative of those philosophies came out. I never forget Colette.

This is of the utmost importance.

And yeah, I misread. :doh:

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I almost forgot Colette! I remember having some really great evenings watching the sunset over Denver out front of Great Divide while drinking a Colette or similarly delicious offering.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

lazerwolf posted:

Do yourself a favor and find Saison Dupont. Its a great saison all around.

I just scooped a bomber of Saison Dupont. It was $10.99, I think the 4-pack was $17.99. Any tips on how to serve this? Looked on google, someone said ~55 degrees, I guess I'll throw it in the fridge but not for long.

Also got a 6 of Founders Centennial IPA which I haven't had in a while. Update later!

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 24, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If we're talking about saisons it's once again time to recommend the hell out of Cellar Door. The chardonnay-aged Stateside is pretty awesome, but it's way more expensive and there's not as much of it around.

JP's Baudelaire IO is excellent, but I haven't seen any on shelves in over a year so it dawns on me that it might have been a one-off that they're not making any more of.

And Anchorage's Love Buzz saison is pretty nice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phanatic posted:

JP's Baudelaire IO is excellent, but I haven't seen any on shelves in over a year so it dawns on me that it might have been a one-off that they're not making any more of.

It's actually a yearly brew and this year's batch came out about a week or so ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just had some Ballast Point Sculpin and holy jesus is it good.

First time I've actually seen it in Ohio, bought a 6-pack despite the price. Very good. It actually tastes a lot like White Rajah from TBK. I'll stick with WR though, it's cheaper.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

TenaciousTomato posted:

I just scooped a bomber of Saison Dupont. It was $10.99, I think the 4-pack was $17.99. Any tips on how to serve this? Looked on google, someone said ~55 degrees, I guess I'll throw it in the fridge but not for long.

honestly, i like that poo poo room temperature, but pouring it at "cellar temperature" and then allowing it to warm as you sip is, i think, standard practice. so, yeah, put it in the fridge for a few. also, as others have pointed out, Colette and Hennepin are very good and available in 12oz bottles if you're unsure about dropping $10 on an unknown quantity. my one experience with Helios was terrible- i think it was infected- but it's loving cheap, so not a huge loss if you don't love it. if you like the Dupont, find yourself a bottle of De Glazen Toren's D'Erpe-Mere.

edit- Munkaboo, i assume that you're aware, but just in case, check this out.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 24, 2012

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

Remember when "Liars Club" was in Mission Beach? Yeah, that was awesome.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
OK heady topper is the poo poo. A ton of citrus and grapefruit flavor without being overly bitter. Its not as dry a finish as hop stoopid or pliny but the sweetness doesn't linger. This is seriously a dangerously drinkable dipa

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

I'm drinking a Troegs Flying Mouflan and I'm pretty happy with it. Lots of caramel and raisin in the nose with a slight candied sugar make this pretty drat sweet, but it's inviting. The flavor is pretty drat intense, caramel up front which yields to a sweet cocoa and raisin mix, then finishes with a candied sugar sweetness. It's a well balanced barleywine and it's pairing fantastically with the March 2006 vintaged sharp cheddar I have. They're both good alone, but together they bring out the best of each other.

On another note, I really like pairing beer with cheeses, it's a nice after dinner snack and it's fun to figure out what pairs well with what.

lazerwolf posted:

OK heady topper is the poo poo. A ton of citrus and grapefruit flavor without being overly bitter. Its not as dry a finish as hop stoopid or pliny but the sweetness doesn't linger. This is seriously a dangerously drinkable dipa

Are you drinking it from the can or a glass? I would like to get two to try both ways since they recommend it from the can.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had Funkwerks Brett Dream tonight on draft, pretty much agree with Super Hassler's assessment. Tastes very nice, more or less exactly what I'd expect if someone said "saison with Brettanomyces added". Smells like a dirty butt, and not in some kind of stretched analogy good way. I usually love Funkwerks, but (at least fresh) this one is kind of a dud.

Got a Double Jack draft to make up for it, so good.

Jeseuss
Aug 28, 2007
I had a Mikkeller Black and a Black Tokyo Horizon last night.

I regret nothing...

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Woah, my bottle shop got some Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze in. I've never seen any of their stuff before, but always seen their name talked about. Is this is regular release that I only need to grab one bottle of for now?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Tigren posted:

Woah, my bottle shop got some Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze in. I've never seen any of their stuff before, but always seen their name talked about. Is this is regular release that I only need to grab one bottle of for now?

unless it says "vintage" across the top of the label, it is the regular version and should not be too difficult to get.

anybody have an opinion on Cisco's Cherry Woods? it's a wild ale that i've never seen before, but the bottles i found are $19. also kind of interesting to see that La Folie isn't flying off the shelves as i expected; i think people around here got burned out on the average beers NB had been shipping us after all the initial hype and are unaware of what a great beer it is.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 24, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

funkybottoms posted:

also kind of interesting to see that La Folie isn't flying off the shelves as i expected; i think people around here got burned out on the average beers NB had been shipping us after all the initial hype and are unaware of what a great beer it is.

Not too surprising. It's expensive and much worse than the on tap version. I also doubt it ages much considering I'm pretty sure it's filtered. (Because I know it will be mentioned, this does not include the cork & cage versions.)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Are you drinking it from the can or a glass? I would like to get two to try both ways since they recommend it from the can.

Both. First from a glass because I wanted to see what it looked like (just after the lacing obviously). After that straight from the can. Both were good not too much detectable difference.
Its unfiltered and unpasterized as you can tell from the picture

Sorry if this is huge I'all edit it if it is, awful app etc.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 24, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

Both. First from a glass because I wanted to see what it looked like (just after the lacing obviously). After that straight from the can. Both were good not too much detectable difference.

It's hard to say if this, or Surly Abrasive is my #1 on my "Want to try" list.

I am just glad that every time I hear about someone trying it, they say it lives up to the hype.

It looks pretty yellow-ish from your picture, is it?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Yeah it looks like hazy orange juice. Its a bit lighter in color than the picture suggests. Flash seems to darken beer colors for some reason

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Not too surprising. It's expensive and much worse than the on tap version. I also doubt it ages much considering I'm pretty sure it's filtered. (Because I know it will be mentioned, this does not include the cork & cage versions.)

New Belgium also pasteurizes everything, so the La Folie in bottles is a dead beer. Which makes me sad.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

It's hard to say if this, or Surly Abrasive is my #1 on my "Want to try" list.

Abrasive is so, so good. Lucky to have it on tap once and it ranks as one of the 10 best beers I've ever drank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Abrasive is so, so good. Lucky to have it on tap once and it ranks as one of the 10 best beers I've ever drank.

Random question: did you actually try it in Minnesota, or did you get to try it at a random Surly event?

From what I understand, they very rarely distribute outside of MN, although I read that Churchkey's (or something like that?) in DC recently had a Surly event.

I really want to go to VT for a variety of reasons, but I can't think of much of a reason to go to MN other than Surly.