Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Am I the only one who can't see the difference in the environment update screenshots?
This is probably because, as far as I can tell, several of the screenshots are of areas that literally didn't change. :raise: The second desert one's down by the public quest there, even if the first's obviously different. The radiation zones look similar, just... darker. The first Canada shots are taken at an upwards angle so you can't even see any terrain features, and the force field wall thing around Teleios tower is something you'd look at once and forget.

To be honest, I think it's a mix of "only some things are changed" and "the people doing the screenshots are incompetent", but it does feel there like they're reeeaally reaching for something to look like they're busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If they want low effort poo poo to do they should just add glow options to everything.

How the hell do they have an obvious dual-wielding Jedi class and make the beam swords not have a glow?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So something happened in channel tonight.

Mecha Nixon@Shr3d: My name is tricky dick, and it is so slick. You may say your a rocket but your just a big dick. you better believe as you saw it with your eyes, you mess with em you will get sodomized.

Discovery@whaaaat: You're going down, Tricky D, but not in history. Like George of the Jungle, you're rocking every tree. When the judges see my rocket they will agree That Space in the end Is The Place To Be
Discovery@whaaaat: Puttin' the nasty in NASA

Mecha Nixon@Shr3d: Your name is Discovery you will need the re-covery. when I drop my rhymes you aint got the times, you may bring up watergate but it will result in your slaughtergate . Yo mama likes Kissinger almost as much as he likes fist'n her.

Discovery@whaaaat: Rockin' the rocket since von Braun went native, Knowing I got it I'm mad contemplative, no prez live or rezzed can defeat what I muster, I bust lying jerks and explore every cluster

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
God damnit, where do you people hide your terrible bios? I'm trying to compile a package of people who can't write characters trying to write characters, but everyone's bios in Club Caprice are just verbose instead of retarded.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
http://www.champions-online.com/character_profiles/user_characters/xxxxxxx
You can use the URL above to browse peoples' characters by their @name (replacing the x's). Unless they've hidden their own characters, you'll be able to read their bios.

The PRIMUS Database might also have come leads, though those tend to gravitate towards verbose more often than not. Still, there's a random button, so you can see what sorts of ridiculous stuff you come across using that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

So something happened in channel tonight.

Mecha Nixon@Shr3d: My name is tricky dick, and it is so slick. You may say your a rocket but your just a big dick. you better believe as you saw it with your eyes, you mess with em you will get sodomized.

Discovery@whaaaat: You're going down, Tricky D, but not in history. Like George of the Jungle, you're rocking every tree. When the judges see my rocket they will agree That Space in the end Is The Place To Be
Discovery@whaaaat: Puttin' the nasty in NASA

Mecha Nixon@Shr3d: Your name is Discovery you will need the re-covery. when I drop my rhymes you aint got the times, you may bring up watergate but it will result in your slaughtergate . Yo mama likes Kissinger almost as much as he likes fist'n her.

Discovery@whaaaat: Rockin' the rocket since von Braun went native, Knowing I got it I'm mad contemplative, no prez live or rezzed can defeat what I muster, I bust lying jerks and explore every cluster

This makes me glad I randomly decided to check in on this thread

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Wow, these are some really exciting updates to the game, I might just play it again. I guess the Perfect World buyout was a pretty good thing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Benjamin Black posted:

Wow, these are some really exciting updates to the game, I might just play it again. I guess the Perfect World buyout was a pretty good thing.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the whole specialization system. I'm glad that the game is doing well enough to update like this instead of just slowly rotting.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Yeah, this does seem like CO's ED moment, except not as shittily handled. Rebuilding the foundation so they can add more and better stuff to the game.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011
So I happened to be in Futureshop today and I saw this game being sold for $60 :sigh:

I don't know if that's better or worse than Tabula Rasa being sold after the servers were taken down though.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Anyone have any idea when the next 20% sale is happening?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Nobody really knows besides Cryptic. :v: It's almost invariably during some major holiday, including things like the game's anniversary, but they occasionally throw one out when they've done a big update and want people to get playing and spending. I wouldn't be surprised to see one with the big game update that's pending, but worst case it'd be next September, and I highly suspect there'll be one before then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

Probably Easter (though they won't call it that, most likely.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wordicuffs posted:

So I happened to be in Futureshop today and I saw this game being sold for $60 :sigh:

I don't know if that's better or worse than Tabula Rasa being sold after the servers were taken down though.

Just the game? No extras? That's pretty ridiculous.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Problem is they are dropping a new costume set this week. That makes a sale unlikely.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Problem is they are dropping a new costume set this week. That makes a sale unlikely.

Why? Basically every sale I see, the newest costume is exempt from the discount.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Just the game? No extras? That's pretty ridiculous.

Yep! Worst part was they also had a version with a 60 day card for $20.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the way, the new costume set coming out this week (Should be tomorrow) is the Steelhawk set.

It's also going to come with a new flight pose/skin.

This is the art corner for the set: http://champions-online.com/node/595576

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I have yet to see my goddamned guitar axe. :colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jan posted:

I have yet to see my goddamned guitar axe. :colbert:
Yes. :argh:

Although that other costume looks interesting. Niche, but interesting; wonder what the flight pose will be like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

the team cooked up a pretty awesome new flight skin to be released along side it.

That's the exact quote.

I just realized he said "along side" though, so that might mean separate purchases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's out now.

The flight is retractable metal wings. They look kind of cool in the screenshots.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Mewnie posted:

Yeah, this does seem like CO's ED moment, except not as shittily handled. Rebuilding the foundation so they can add more and better stuff to the game.

Self quoting this, because I checked the forums and I retract my 'not shittily handled' part. When the top post is 'Please don't put this patch live yet' and goes on in detail about what isn't working, I'm getting Kitchen Sink Part 2.. 3? vibes.

Thankfully, CO isn't at the top of my MMO radar atm, so I'll just wait out the shitstorm until they unfuck all of the new bugs!

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

It's out now.

The flight is retractable metal wings. They look kind of cool in the screenshots.

Can you post a screenie? That site is blocked at work (damnit).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unfortunately, my work also blocks the site. I used my phone, but it cannot copy image urls.

Mewnie posted:

Self quoting this, because I checked the forums and I retract my 'not shittily handled' part. When the top post is 'Please don't put this patch live yet' and goes on in detail about what isn't working, I'm getting Kitchen Sink Part 2.. 3? vibes.

Thankfully, CO isn't at the top of my MMO radar atm, so I'll just wait out the shitstorm until they unfuck all of the new bugs!

The problem is the only people worse than Cryptic are the ones on the CO forums, so who do you trust?

A lot of things those idiots call broken are really just nerfs they don't like, or something that makes yiffing less viable.

(I have not read the thread in question.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 23, 2012

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Well, unless some of this stuff they have done and are just not putting it up on PTS for us to check out- I don't know how this new crafting system will pan out, since they've canned all of the old recipes, as well as the Specializations still being buggy or NYI :iamafag: to name a few.

Stuff like IDF getting changed into a Form is hilarious and much needed. Nerfing Bullet Beatdown so it's not melee (unless you take a new 2 point advantage- meaning to make it melee and AoE you're stuck with rank 1 :confused:) is just baffling. I mean, it's not even that great of a power.

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 23, 2012

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

Unfortunately, my work also blocks the site. I used my phone, but it cannot copy image urls.

Bah. I can't even have my phone in the building (Don't ask). Ah well. Hopefully it looks bad rear end. Retractable Wings sound legit. I was kinda hoping for the Deus Ex costume set, but this will suffice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm home now, so here you go:

https://champions-store.s3.amazonaws.com/store/2012/screenshots/Rectractable%20Wings%20TP/cstore_screen_032112_retractwings_s.jpg
https://champions-store.s3.amazonaws.com/store/2012/screenshots/Rectractable%20Wings%20TP/cstore_screen_032112_retractwings_s2.jpg
https://champions-store.s3.amazonaws.com/store/2012/screenshots/Rectractable%20Wings%20TP/cstore_screen_032112_retractwings_s3.jpg

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

hmmmm interesting. Not really what I was expecting, but still decent. Thanks for the post!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just saw someone use them. The device appears on your back and opens up like a fan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Double post party.

CO is getting a token system. They come in 4 tiers (1-10, 11-20 etc.) and they drop off mobs and are given as mission rewards.

You will only earn them for level appropriate content, but can downgrade higher tier ones.

They're currency for costume pieces, "useful items that will keep your hero geared for success" and apparently even Travel Powers.

The costume pieces are themed "loosely" on the MCPD, Primus, UNTIL and the Champions respectively.

They've also added over 100 new droppable costume pieces on enemies, but these will also be buyable at the recognition vendors.

Pictures and full details here: http://champions-online.com/node/595691

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. Well, that adds a bit more complexity that the game direly needed. Only question is how grindy it will all turn out in practice.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
The item modification system is looking to be incredibly grindy with increasing chances of failure if you want the higher quality stuff. As for nerfs, they're reducing the number of secondary items you can have to one row. It wouldn't bother me so much if they'd provide some incentive for old characters to re-do content besides "Hey, you're going to be gimped compared to newer characters." From an admittedly arbitrary PvP standpoint, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to spot those teleporting rascals without a full load out of detection utility items, either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't been on the PTS, but apparently the formerly Crafted Travel Powers can now be purchased using Questionite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hooray for double posts.

I patched up the PTS to take a look at the recognition vendors.

The costume pieces are 10 recognition tokens each for the first 2 tiers, then 15 and 20. According to the forums, that should only take a handful of missions. They're also account wide, so it wouldn't be that tough to get them all.

These are the mob drop ones. The MCPD, Primus etc. themed ones don't seem to be up yet.

Cyberpunk pieces are 45000 Questionite. I do not know the Questionite earning rate, though.

The former CTPs are 250k.

Edit: If CO's Questionite follows the trend of STO, Questionite will be about 240 to the CP. So around 1000 CP per crafted travel power, though obviously you can also earn questionite in game.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 24, 2012

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Are we talking the questionite that's already in game? Because if so that will take roughly forever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it's a new currency based on dilithium from STO.

It's not directly comparable because dilithium is used for almost everything in STO, but just a handful of items in CO.

In STO you get some dilithium for just about everything. It can also be bought for CP (And therefore real money), and traded back for CP. Only with other players though.

It comes in Refined form which is the actual currency, and Ore form. You can refine 8000 ore a day, and ore is usually what you get from dailies and other repeatable stuff. You typically get refined from regular one off missions.

The STO rate was 215ish to a CP about 2 weeks ago, but with a recent expensive item added to the C-Store it jumped up to 245ish. With the lesser usage in CO I'm not sure how the rates will go, though.

The game calls it Refined Questionite and Questionite Ore, plus the crafting system is changing and the old Questionite is going away.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 25, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game update has been pushed to April 13th for further not-suck-en-ing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The game update has been pushed to April 13th for further not-suck-en-ing.
Probably for the best, all things considered. Not like the pace of content updates have been all that fast lately, a little extra won't hurt them much, unlike a botched re-balancing pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Will someone be doing a writeup about how people should be respeccing once the update goes live? The archetypes are obviously going to be alright but the rest of us would probably benefit from understanding the changes, especially if this ends up drawing former players back into the game at all.

Just some general "if you're <x> role you want to focus on <a,b,c> stats now. If you're <y> role you want to focus on etc" stuff would be helpful. The site's writeup is kind of wordy and doesn't really make any suggestions on what to use for particular powersets or anything.