Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. It's looks like a bitch. Good luck.

I don't think it's too much of an issue. I know with my iPhone 3GS, I could install iOS 4.1 or 4.3.3 with the official IPSW without issue (there would be an error at the end because it couldn't install the older baseband, but it can be ignored). For 4.2.1 though, I had to use PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze to build a custom IPSW first, as something always failed when I tried to install it.

I'm guessing with iOS 5.x, you just do the same thing. Run a program to build the pre-jailbroken IPSW (including Cydia), and point it to your SHSH blob. You end up with a pre-made IPSW that you can then install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

This might be the wrong place to ask, but is it possible to modify the .IPA file (or something else) to force an iPhone iOS app to run at retina resolution on my iPad 2? (without being jailbroken!)

I know there are tools to resign IPA files (iResign, etc) that you can use to allow "unsigned" IPA files onto an unjailbroken phone if you have a developer license.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Nerdrock posted:

yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. It's looks like a bitch. Good luck.

It's actually not that bad. I did it with iFaith, with no problems, just after the 5.0.1 signing window closed.

Edit: I signed the IPSW, THEN jailbroke it. Worked flawlessly.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

apple is currently only signing 5.1 .

the only way you can install something OTHER THAN 5.1 , is if your device is NOT AN A5 DEVICE , and you have SIGNED SHSH BLOBS on file either in Cydia or via TinyUmbrella.

For you : You have an iPhone 4, so that's good. You have the 5.0.1 ipsw , that's good. now : do you have a signed SHSH blob for 5.0.1 ? If you saved it locally with TinyUmbrella back when apple was signing 5.0.1 , you're fine, and you need to use that. If you have it saved via cydia (load up cydia, and it'll tell you what firmware versions it has on file for you conveniently), you can use that instead. if neither of those is an option : you're hosed, and get to wait for a 5.1 jailbreak to be released.

your hosts file comes in to play when itunes starts restoring the ipsw to the device. it checks if apple is signing that firmware, and modifying the hosts file points it somewhere that isn't apple, unbeknownst to itunes.

So : depending where your SHSH blobs are on file : google how to use that.

Ok, so yes, both TinyUmbrella and Cydia have my 5.0.1 blobs, and I've tried both TU and the latest update of redsnow to upgrade/restore 5.0.1 and nothing wants to work. So far I've used TU with the TSS server and it tells me that itunes is unable to restore or upgrade, (no error number.) Next up I used redsnow to verify my blobs were all good, and stitched them into the 5.0.1 ipsw that I have.

So then to try restoring to that, I put it into DFU and prep with redsnow, and I get a 1600 error. I googled for the soloution to that, and it says to turn off TU, so I turn off TU and try again, and now I'm all the way back to the 3194 error where I started :suicide: Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

e: ok so I'm a dumbass, and I was trying to load the original ipsw because I thought redsnow overwrote it when I stitched the blobs in. So tried again with the modified ipsw and got way further, then eventually it shat itself again and gave me the usual message but this time with a (1) error. The progress bar on the phone screen is about 75% done and iTunes just crashed.

I just tried this again and same thing, iPhone status bar is at about 75% and iTunes says Restoring iPhone Firmware and then it dies with The iPhone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (1)

It also looks like it doesn't want to boot into anything at all anymore, and I'm going to have to try and find an old firmware to restore it to :negative:

nrr fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 23, 2012

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.
I know it probably goes without saying, but you do have the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" box checked off under the advanced tab in TU, right?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Catalyst posted:

I know it probably goes without saying, but you do have the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" box checked off under the advanced tab in TU, right?

Yeah, I mentioned that in my first post but just realised that's on the last page. So for this page, yep unchecked that box in TU and confirmed that there's nothing in my hosts file pointing to apple.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I had all kinds of trouble jailbreaking my phone to 5.0.1 this past weekend, and it sounds like the trouble other people are having.

I just gave up and updated to 5.1 and did the semitethered jailbreak. I was on 4.3.3 and my apps were horribly out of date, and iOS 5 is really nice. Super happy with it, and way easier than fiddling with 5.0.1. It's not like I don't have a computer around 24/7 anyway.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Cute.. p0sixninja (greenpois0n) is giving vague hints of something coming soon...

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Anyone know how to make the Sparrow Push tweak vibrate only once? Or is this probably the result of mail app vibrating alongside sparrow? I like the idea of mail vibrating once and SMS twice. If it is the result of Mail app and Sparrow vibrating, how do I disable the vibrate in one of them? All I really care about is that the Sparrow app gets badges...

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 23, 2012

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

On 5.0.1 jailbroken (iPhone 4), is it worth it to upgrade to 5.1 in spite of the tether?

5.0.1 feels kind of sluggish for me sometimes (apps take long to load).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else been having sporadic Wifi Drops at home (or wherever) where all that could resolve it was a reboot of your phone?

I'm posting in the JB thread because I honestly don't know what might have started causing it, but I've been on 5.01 for a while and this just started happening in the last 2-3 weeks or so?

I don't think it's my router or internet, because rebooting my iPhone tends to sort it out.

StillAsian
Jul 7, 2004

Iced posted:

On 5.0.1 jailbroken (iPhone 4), is it worth it to upgrade to 5.1 in spite of the tether?

5.0.1 feels kind of sluggish for me sometimes (apps take long to load).
I don't think so. There isn't anything, other than the ability to delete photos off your photo stream and compatibility for a few new apps like iPhoto.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Well, that and a poo poo-ton of security updates.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

glompix posted:

I had all kinds of trouble jailbreaking my phone to 5.0.1 this past weekend, and it sounds like the trouble other people are having.

I just gave up and updated to 5.1 and did the semitethered jailbreak. I was on 4.3.3 and my apps were horribly out of date, and iOS 5 is really nice. Super happy with it, and way easier than fiddling with 5.0.1. It's not like I don't have a computer around 24/7 anyway.

Yeah, this is what I ended up doing. My half installed 5.0.1 wouldn't respond to anything I threw at it, and so when I eventually decided to give up and go back to 4.2.1 I found out that my blobs weren't actually valid, and the only ones that supposedly were valid anymore according to redsnow were 5.0.1 and 5.1 :colbert:

So here I am on 5.1 using the semi tethered jailbreak until I either lose my mind and try downgrading to 5.0.1 (or lower,) or the 5.1 JB comes out. I can't see it being a huge problem really.

My only question now I guess: Is there any way to get Siri running on an iPhone 4 with 5.1?

I tried having a look around and so far I've found i4siri/spire which refuses to download from cydia because I have 5.1 not 5.0.1, (despite saying it runs on 5.1.) Then a few other options that by the looks of the comments I've found, range from not working at all to maybe kind of working, sort of, but you have to keep saying "Hi" to siri every 20 seconds for ten minutes each day for a week... and if you do finally get it working, it then potentially secretly sends a bunch of random personal data from your phone to servers in Russia and the Ukraine where i guess they turn your angry birds high scores into some form of black magic cold fusion to raise Rasputin from the dead so he can lead the mighty resurgence of the CCCP.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm getting a refurbished iPad 2 today and most people who ordered one said it should come with 5.0.1.

I want to jailbreak it, and I know I can never restore it back to 5.0.1, so is there any way to do any sort of backup in case I screw up the phone but stay on 5.0.1?

DeMoN
Feb 21, 2003
_^DeMoN^_

Vinlaen posted:

I'm getting a refurbished iPad 2 today and most people who ordered one said it should come with 5.0.1.

I want to jailbreak it, and I know I can never restore it back to 5.0.1, so is there any way to do any sort of backup in case I screw up the phone but stay on 5.0.1?

You first talk about iPad then say "scre up phone" I guess it is a typo?

Anyway, if it comes with 5.0.1 you can Jailbreak right away (iclarified website for tutorial). No you can't go back to 5.0.1 or lower. If you mess up your iPad 2 it will have to be updated to 5.1

That being said, there is no way you can mess up your iPad if you make sure the things you are installing on cydia are for iOS5. Cydia has been updated, it seems, to detect your device and warn you if the tweak isn't compatible so dont worry.

I had my iPad 2 on 4.3.3 and installed a ton of things and nothing wrong ever happened. 5.0.1 came out and I did the same, no crashes or anything.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Sorry - Yeah, I meant iPad and not phone. :/

I'm still up-in-the-air about keeping my iPad 3 or refurb iPad 2... I'm back leaning towards iPad 3 now :)

Thanks for the info though!

DeMoN
Feb 21, 2003
_^DeMoN^_

Vinlaen posted:

Sorry - Yeah, I meant iPad and not phone. :/

I'm still up-in-the-air about keeping my iPad 3 or refurb iPad 2... I'm back leaning towards iPad 3 now :)

Thanks for the info though!

I would stay with the iPad 3 because it will soon be Jailbreak-able. The screen makes all the difference.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All right this is getting a little annoying. This stupid ad:

Refuses to disappear. I even installed SpeakEvents and it still shows up. I went ahead and uninstalled everything Siri related but every now and there it loving is.

Is anyone else getting this? Can I manually dig in and erase the gently caress out of it?

Do you have assistant extensions installed? I believe that causes that stupid banner to pop up.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bonzaisushi posted:

Do you have assistant extensions installed? I believe that causes that stupid banner to pop up.
I have assistant extensions installed and don't get that ad.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
This could be big:

quote:

@iH8sn0w
Found a loophole in Apple's apticket system. Restored my iPad 2 to 5.0.1 from 5.1. Works on all A5 devices. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I miss Sunday Funday. My new iPad wants to play...

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Hello, I'm dumb and I need help, and I thought this thread might be the right place.
Recently I lost my iPod, and I have been living without a cellphone for a couple of years. When I priced new iPods I realized that for the price of a new ipod I could buy a used iPhone off craigslist and kill two birds with one stone.
So I bought a jailbroken 3gs off a guy on craigslist, but he didn't delete any of his photos or ipod tunes off it first. He's got over 1000 photos I have no interest in, but I can't seem to delete them. When I looked up iphone support, it referred to the "edit" button, but I have no such icon in the photo gallery or slide show. I connected to itunes to see if the controls were there, but I still didn't have any luck. Of course I got an "Upgrade iTunes?" pop-up (like every single time I start iTunes) but I am hesitant to agree to much of anything without knowing how bad it'll gently caress things up. Will simply synching to my own folders do the trick?
I have other issues, such as being unable to connect to my own wireless router, but as I mentioned earlier, I AM pretty dumb.
There is no SD card in this phone yet, does that affect these things? I literally bought it this morning, so I haven't gotten around to getting hooked up with any carriers yet.

Anyways, feel free to snicker at my ignorance, but when you are done please give me some suggestions on what the hell I'm doing wrong. The goon horde has always come through for me in the past, so I feel comfortable asking you folks.
Thank you!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flying Fortress posted:

Of course I got an "Upgrade iTunes?"
You can safely upgrade iTunes on your PC, but don't upgrade the phone's OS unless you want to lose the jailbreak and have to re-jailbreak (and 5.1 is still a tethered jailbreak which means you have to plug the phone into a PC whenever you reboot. As rare as that is, it's a potential hassle.)

Flying Fortress posted:

Will simply synching to my own folders do the trick?
Yes, select the types of things you want to sync in itunes and it'll warn you that it will remove the poo poo on there and replace it with your poo poo.

Flying Fortress posted:

There is no SD card in this phone yet, does that affect these things? I literally bought it this morning, so I haven't gotten around to getting hooked up with any carriers yet.
I assume you mean sim because iPhones don't use SD cards. You can still do whatever you want with it except make phone calls or use wireless data. Wifi / apps / music / photos / etc. should be unaffected. You'll just see "no service" or "no sim" or something like that where the carrier would be.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, sim, not SD, I'm confusing myself now.

Edit: Ok, now that I have time to properly respond, thank you for that advice and information. It is helpful!
I knew I could count on you guys to help.

Flying Fortress fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 26, 2012

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I have 5.0.1 jailbroken on an iPhone 4S. If I want to break my jailbreak and upgrade it to 5.1, all I have to do is just hit Update on iTunes? In the past, I'd have problems with getting a jailbroken phone back to a non-jailbroken state (it would freeze up on restoring the phone).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

I have 5.0.1 jailbroken on an iPhone 4S. If I want to break my jailbreak and upgrade it to 5.1, all I have to do is just hit Update on iTunes? In the past, I'd have problems with getting a jailbroken phone back to a non-jailbroken state (it would freeze up on restoring the phone).

First just update to 5.1. You will have a LOT of "Other" still, but 5.1 will be installed.
From there, do a backup and restore.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have an old 3G that I am trying to use as an iPod for when I'm mowing. Every time I turn it on, it freezes at the apple logo. If I boot to recovery and try to restore 4.2.1 on it ( I jail broke it and am pretty sure that is the firmware I was on) I get "unknown error" in iTunes. Is there anything I can try to get it to boot or is it a lost cause?

DeMoN
Feb 21, 2003
_^DeMoN^_

89 posted:

First of all, if you want to lose the Jailbreak and go to 5.1 then you must not know how awesome being Jailbroken is. I wouldn't have any stock iDevice, the Jailbreak is what make them awesome.

Now to your question. If you've had problems updating before, that is because your HOSTS file located in c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc must be redirecting apple servers to Cydia. Go to that address and open the HOST file and delete anything that says APPLE. You should have no issues restoring to 5.1 after that.

loudog999 posted:

I have an old 3G that I am trying to use as an iPod for when I'm mowing. Every time I turn it on, it freezes at the apple logo. If I boot to recovery and try to restore 4.2.1 on it ( I jail broke it and am pretty sure that is the firmware I was on) I get "unknown error" in iTunes. Is there anything I can try to get it to boot or is it a lost cause?

With the phone off, press and hold the HOME button. Connect phone to the PC while still pressing HOME. The phone should boot in "recovery mode" and you restore and that is it.

If that doesnt work, try doing a DFU restore... check youtube videos to learn how to put phone in DFU mode and then hit RESTORE in iTunes. Latest version for iPhone 3G is 4.2.1 so you can still jailbreak that.

DeMoN fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 26, 2012

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

DeMoN posted:

First of all, if you want to lose the Jailbreak and go to 5.1 then you must not know how awesome being Jailbroken is. I wouldn't have any stock iDevice, the Jailbreak is what make them awesome.
I've had battery problems lately and weird problems like my Recent Calls not recording any calls for a whole day or two unless I restart my phone. Jailbroken is awesome and I've spent around $20 on cydia apps, but stability is a little more important to me.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

I've had battery problems lately and weird problems like my Recent Calls not recording any calls for a whole day or two unless I restart my phone. Jailbroken is awesome and I've spent around $20 on cydia apps, but stability is a little more important to me.

I've dumped well over $100 into Cydia apps, and I had no trouble wiping and putting 5.1 on my 4S.

Things feel quicker, I know something like ~75 bugs and security issues were patched, I have a few new features (slide to open camera, Safari doesn't open to bookmarks, a sweet 4G indicator), plus my battery life seems a bit better.

Then again, I still have the USB iTether app available, and my old 3GS if I REALLY need to use MyWi.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Has anyone tried SleepFX? It adds screen effects when your phone's screen goes off. Sounds like just the gimmick my iPhone needs! But its 5 bucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3L_lEbmj9I The TV Tube effect looks very cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

decypher posted:

Has anyone tried SleepFX? It adds screen effects when your phone's screen goes off. Sounds like just the gimmick my iPhone needs! But its 5 bucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3L_lEbmj9I The TV Tube effect looks very cool.

Aside from having to respring to make changes (or it stops working) it's pretty good. TVTube and Fading Tiles are the best. The rest are just kindof "ok" effects like page curls and spins and stuff.

TV Tube wins though, with Fading Tiles a close second.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there anything that will automatically and completely silence the phone on a set schedule? I usually have my phone on silent but keep the vibrate on to notify me when a message or call comes in. I'd like to be able to silence the vibrations when I'm in bed and have it come back on in the morning.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
It's by the same guys that made TV Tube (which is the best one and is free by itself).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's by the same guys that made TV Tube (which is the best one and is free by itself).

Yeah it's worth pointing out that SleepFX has like 8-10 effects, but only 2 (in my opinion, anyway,) are really cool. So free for the coolest one of all is better than 5 bucks for the cool one and the second most cool one and like 8 other much less impressive ones.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Karthe posted:

Is there anything that will automatically and completely silence the phone on a set schedule? I usually have my phone on silent but keep the vibrate on to notify me when a message or call comes in. I'd like to be able to silence the vibrations when I'm in bed and have it come back on in the morning.
I think iControl will do that.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Looks like he's charging a buck for it now. Still not a bad price at all. This is like the only thing I miss from android.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I suppose I should say "buyer Beware" though, for SleepFX.

iPhone 4S here. 5.0.1 jailbroken. The effect seems to stop working occasionally. I think respringing helps. But if it doesn't always work...what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone use f.lux? I just installed it on my iPhone 4 and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I notice no difference at night, even if I click the 1-hour disable on and off.

• Locked thread