Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is this the first time anybody's called John an idiot to his face? It seems like most of the characters delicately sidestep around that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bell_ posted:

Edit: Kinda telling John recalls Vriska now!

Asked after her before Karkat, even. Hmm!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

No, John, what are you doing. Stay away from the nasty troll!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Is this the first time anybody's called John an idiot to his face? It seems like most of the characters delicately sidestep around that fact.

Uh have you missed 90% of the conversations Karkat has had with John.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Karkat has always been tactful, I'm sure.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Oh man, she only just figured out she's dead? That's... kind of weird if the A1 trolls' introduction (assuming that's who they even are, although I can't really come up with who else it could plausibly be) to bubbletopia is basically running into a bunch of humans.

With how time apparently works so weird in the Furthest Ring, it's not too surprising that characters might run into each other in dream bubbles in each other's distant past/future.

Also, people may be groaning at us spending time on long-dead alpha trolls, but this doubles as giving more characterization to the Condesce, who very well may be shaping up to be a penultimate villainess..

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The way she talks seems to be sort of halfway between Eridan and Feferi. I guess that goes with the idea that this is the A1 iteration of the Condesce, who (evidence suggests) isn't entirely the best person.

Midnight Raider posted:

With how time apparently works so weird in the Furthest Ring, it's not too surprising that characters might run into each other in dream bubbles in each other's distant past/future.

That's true - it's sort of half happened before with Vriska running into a dead John from a much earlier (from the reader's position) point.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 24, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FewtureMD posted:

No, John, what are you doing. Stay away from the nasty troll!

She honestly doesn't seem evil, just a jerk. I mean, sure, she wants to kill Roxy, but that seems to be out of idle boredom than anything else.

Also, do we think that's her name, or a ridiculously long acronym?

edit: Why are you guys assuming A1-TrollQueen is like A2-TrollQueen? There's probably a huge nature/nurture thing going on here. By nature she may be a bit of a jerk, but this version seems...a lot less refined.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 24, 2012

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I'm not sure I will have room in my head for another 12 troll names if it comes to that. We're going to reach character critical mass.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Bobulus posted:

Probably her name--'Mina' apparently means 'fish' in Sanskrit. Puns forever!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bobulus posted:

She honestly doesn't seem evil, just a jerk. I mean, sure, she wants to kill Roxy, but that seems to be out of idle boredom than anything else.

edit: Why are you guys assuming A1-TrollQueen is like A2-TrollQueen? There's probably a huge nature/nurture thing going on here. By nature she may be a bit of a jerk, but this version seems...a lot less refined.

quote:

Meena \me(e)-na\ as a girl's name is pronounced MEEN-ah. It is of Hindi and Sanskrit origin, and the meaning of Meena is "fish". Astrological name, Pisces. Hindu mythology: a name of the wife of Shiva.p

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like this speech impediment.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Wanting to kill someone out of idle boredom seems pretty evil to me.

Then again, it's quite possible she's assuming that Roxy is also dead already and that it doesn't matter and Roxy will probably just come back to not-life afterwards.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bobulus posted:

Sure, maybe this version of her is just kind of rude rather than a horrible murderous tyrant. Just saying that she seems like the kind of person who would be bad news if additionally brought up to regard herself as the indisputable pinnacle of her species, with the power of an elder god backing her up.

(And we've seen before that players tend to have some recognizable tendencies, like Dave inevitably being the kind of guy who would create Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bobulus posted:

A2 TrollQueen's been around for centuries, possibly millenia. She almost certainly attended the Scratch Finishing School for Prosperous and Monstrous Girls.

I do wonder if she was the one making the bargain with Echidna and her wishes went towards A2's state.

edit: (re: refinement}

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Clamscray.

This is the best character. :allears:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Karkat has always been tactful, I'm sure.

Oh right, that guy. Yeah I might be in the wrong here.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bobulus posted:

I think one of the things that the Scratched Earth shows is that you're going to be similar no matter what universe you're into the universe. The big difference is at what time you came in. This shows with Meenah. She's just a bored teenage girl with a chip on her shoulder that never managed to rule over anyone, while the Empress was given the keys to the kingdom soon after the trolls came into being. The Empress managed to use her rear end in a top hat personality to help turn the trolls into a bunch of violent dicks, while Meenah just hunts Roxy in the afterlife, and if little Mindfang's clothes and happy handwave show, didn't have much of an impact on the A1 trolls.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have to thank Hussie, I was wondeirng exactly what caliber of troll we're dealing with. Now he's made it clear, we're talking to The Best Troll. So nice of him to make that known from the outset.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I'm gonna guess on either:

TACTFUL DIPLOMACY VIA JOHN

Or some weird half-strifey thing where nothing really happens.

Or maybe even some exposition on the dream bubbles. Doubt it, but might be cool.

heh clamscray meenah you so funny

Ass-Haggis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 24, 2012

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Daius posted:

I'm not sure I will have room in my head for another 12 troll names if it comes to that. We're going to reach character critical mass.

It's possible that he doesn't intend to introduce all 12 A1 trolls, just a couple important ones. That's what Andrew was planning for the original trolls before he decided to do Act 5 Act 1. It depends on whether he can resist the siren's call of introducing more characters, though. It could go either way, really.

Regardless, this update was hilarious. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Just popping in to say that Clamscray is the best word ever. I now feel compelled to work the wonder of Clamscray into IRL conversations.

Also <japanesepun>Meenah is clearly everyone John.</japanesepun>:colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boneless Jogger posted:

It depends on whether he can resist the siren's call of introducing more characters, though.

Your name is SQUIDDLY SAM. Today happens to be your BIRTHDAY, and BIRTHDAY CARDS from your 47 best bosom buddies are strewn across the floor. Your INTERESTS include FRIENDSHIP, HUGGING, and PUNCTUAL BEDTIMES. You also enjoy observing and playing with a variety of FRIENDLY AQUATIC FAUNA. Sometimes you go ashore to meet your HUMAN FRIENDS in order to play and learn about IMPORTANT LIFE LESSONS.

What will you do?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Gabriel Pope posted:

Your name is SQUIDDLY SAM. Today happens to be your BIRTHDAY, and BIRTHDAY CARDS from your 47 best bosom buddies are strewn across the floor. Your INTERESTS include FRIENDSHIP, HUGGING, and PUNCTUAL BEDTIMES. You also enjoy observing and playing with a variety of FRIENDLY AQUATIC FAUNA. Sometimes you go ashore to meet your HUMAN FRIENDS in order to play and learn about IMPORTANT LIFE LESSONS.

What will you do?

> Quickly retrieve tentacles from floor.

You've already got tentacles, my friendly chum!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think it's fairly telling that for all John's talk, the first thing he does is go HEY SEEN VRISKA?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it's fairly telling that for all John's talk, the first thing he does is go HEY SEEN VRISKA?

Because Vriska is a troll and he is seeing a troll right there?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MrBims posted:

quote:

JOHN: but the point is, when all was said and done, that was just some stuff that happened over one day, which was a whole year ago already.
JOHN: i barely even remember what we talked about. by the time we meet up, she probably won't give a poo poo about me at all.
JOHN: which, let's face it, is probably for the best.
She's still the first thing he asks about.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MrBims posted:

No see it's because true love and my OTP okay~? :anime:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Elysiume posted:

She's still the first thing he asks about.

So what else is he supposed to ask about? He is curious how everyone he met is doing because he still has yet to talk to any of them since then. No Vriska, no Karkat, no Dave or Rose. Oh look, here's a troll, she must know something.

I'm seeing this "well, he's just downplaying everything when he really can't stop obsessing over his alien waifu oh god I can't wait for them to hook up" everywhere. Why are people so desperately clinging to a dumb webcomic ship?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The conversation will go in a direction that lets John put the pieces together and realize he is talking to the ghost of proto-Batterwitch, and then he'll have a complete mental breakdown. MEENAH will have no idea what he's talking about.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha you guys are just desperate for that Vriska connection in every little thing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Starting to see some symptoms of Vriskachat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, he is unconscious right now. In dreams you often think about things that you try not to think about while awake.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Currently, there is no cure for Vriskachat. But drug and non-drug treatments may help with both cognitive and behavioral symptoms. Talk to your partner about potential Vriskachat infections before engaging in Homestuck conversation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bobulus posted:

Currently, there is no cure for Vriskachat. But drug and non-drug treatments may help with both cognitive and behavioral symptoms. Talk to your partner about potential Vriskachat infections before engaging in Homestuck conversation.
I tried to talk to my partner about Vriskachat infections but all I could talk about was Vriska.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Vriskachat is merely the natural evolution of all Homestuckchat.

Edit: The tendency of all Homestuckchat to eventually morph into Vriskachat is known among scholars as Reductio ad Vriska.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Pessimism posted:

It's going to be an A1 troll, and John's just gonna be all like, pff oh it's you again.

Just wanna point out that I called it. Sorta.

Anyways, I wouldn't think much of John's dismissal of Vriska (and would agree with it actually) if the rest of his conversation with Jade hadn't been peppered with abandonment anxiety. In the context of him fretting over not ever seeing Dave or Rose or any of the trolls they know in the dream bubbles and also wondering if his friends will be better friends with the trolls than with him when they all meet up again, it does seem as though he might care a bit more than he's letting on. Add that to the fact that Jade seems to be getting closer to Davesprite than John is (I assume, since she's the one who noticed that there are differences between his and Dave's personalities), and you can't blame John for being a little lonely.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
People were only bringing up Vriska because other people were speculating John had like totally forgotten about her, ~sunken ships~ etc etc, don't think about it too much

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nate RFB posted:

Haha you guys are just desperate for that Vriska connection in every little thing.

Any discussion of Vriska is bad, even legit observations of how character behavior matches up to what that character says.

John is acting tough about things he actually cares about. It's not the end of the world :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JT Jag posted:

People were only bringing up Vriska because other people were speculating John had like totally forgotten about her, ~sunken ships~ etc etc, don't think about it too much

And that itself was brought up because people were comparing his discussion with jade to him missing vriska and hiding his feelings about it.
it is a vicious cycle, and we shouldn't talk about it anymore.
e: I hope we see more Meena, she's pretty great.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 24, 2012