Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I miss Aldi, I never bought cereal or snacks there, but the basic elements of food and condiments are great and ridic cheap. Now I just go to Walmart like every other disgusting peon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This thread really makes me happy about how fortunate I feel to live in a big, cheap old house and be making enough that I can slowly pay off my loans and even go out to a nice dinner with my girlfriend once a week :unsmith:

It also makes me want to drag a rich person out of their home and stab them to death. Is that weird?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wolfsheim posted:

This thread really makes me happy about how fortunate I feel to live in a big, cheap old house and be making enough that I can slowly pay off my loans and even go out to a nice dinner with my girlfriend once a week :unsmith:

It also makes me want to drag a rich person out of their home and stab them to death. Is that weird?
It is you. You are that rich person.

More seriously, it's not weird, some people have no appreciation whatsoever for how well off they are, and when you do, it's annoying to deal with those assholes. I mean I rent and will probably not have savings after this summer's travels, but I appreciate that those are problems that a significant portion of this country's, much less the world's, population wish they had, as opposed to healthy food, shelter, not being shot on the street because they were walking while black, etc.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Guilty posted:

How the gently caress do you spend 350 bucks a month on heat, water, and electricity for a family of four? Admittedly it was a long time ago, but I remember in early 2000's for my family of four spending all together somewhere like 120 bucks a month for all three.

I'm in California and this is really easy to do. Without effort I can hit 400-500 in the summer. One of our rooms is a piano studio for music lessons, A/C has to be crankin' to keep clients cozy. If it weren't for that, it would be at about 300. Still very loving high, but I don't complain like these retards writing the articles saying they are poor. I've been poor, it sucks. Right now I am far from poor. I consider myself comfortable and my wife and I earn less than the writers.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 24, 2012

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
You're not really rich unless you can buy all the rich people things and still have lots of cash left over.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I do most of my shopping for food at Fry's or the 99 cent store. How out of my league is loving Aldi then?

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
I've been avoiding Aldi because of the stigma somewhat. :(

I've compared the ads I get to Kroger and it seems like a lot of canned stuff and such is cheaper but not hugely so. How does the the produce and meat fare? I try to make stuff from scratch with a little splash of canned assistance.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, I do most of my shopping for food at Fry's or the 99 cent store. How out of my league is loving Aldi then?
This seems really funny because Fry's is only the electronics warehouse here on the east side of the rockies.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

zeroprime posted:

This seems really funny because Fry's is only the electronics warehouse here on the east side of the rockies.

And in the west. I honestly thought it was the same thing for a few moments.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Same person. The guy sold his chain of grocery stores to Kroger.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I've compared the ads I get to Kroger and it seems like a lot of canned stuff and such is cheaper but not hugely so. How does the the produce and meat fare? I try to make stuff from scratch with a little splash of canned assistance.

Aldi owns, just wear a floppy hat if you're worried about the neighbors seeing you

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Aldi is amazing, and the one in the next town over from me is always packed. No one's going to judge you unless you live in a soap opera or your neighbor is Mr Burns or something.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Honestly, I do the majority of my weekly shopping at Aldi. For canned/boxed/frozen you can't go wrong. I'll buy a lot of frozen ground beef, chicken breasts, and ground turkey at Aldi. Defrost as needed.

Beyond that, their produce selection sucks. Everything seems bruised or on the cusp of old, so I buy my produce at either Bottom Dollar (new, not sure how I like it yet) or the local chain (South East PA = Giant Eagle).

For the basic staples and condiments, you can't beat Aldi.

Jeseuss
Aug 28, 2007
I got this one today: http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/1357-pew-research-republicans-more-knowledgeable-than-democrats

The smug sense of superiority makes it almost unbearable to read.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I think my favorite is that it says that Tea Party backers tend to be wealthier and better educated when it's supposed to be the party of the 'common people'.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Jeseuss posted:

I got this one today: http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/1357-pew-research-republicans-more-knowledgeable-than-democrats

The smug sense of superiority makes it almost unbearable to read.

Well that's odd, they don't link the study. Huh.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's this one.

http://www.people-press.org/2011/11/07/what-the-public-knows-in-words-and-pictures/?src=iq-quiz

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm in California and this is really easy to do. Without effort I can hit 400-500 in the summer. One of our rooms is a piano studio for music lessons, A/C has to be crankin' to keep clients cozy. If it weren't for that, it would be at about 300. Still very loving high, but I don't complain like these retards writing the articles saying they are poor. I've been poor, it sucks. Right now I am far from poor. I consider myself comfortable and my wife and I earn less than the writers.

I grew up an hour north of LA, and never saw a bill higher than 200 for my family of four up until 2005. You guys must've REALLY hosed up in the past 6-7 years...

Living in Germany now, pay 45 euros a month for a flat rate on text, minutes, and internet. Pay around 100 per month for heat, electricity, water, internet, telephone. Also there is extreme weather here...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just for contrast, I live in a flat-share arrangement (temporarily converted from a two-bedroom apartment), and we paid $260 for electricity alone last month. It's solely el-heated and the insulation could be better, but it's still a modest apartment in the middle of the building.

My point? The definition of "normal" costs vary hugely between regions, so it's almost silly to compare them without a lot of qualification. ;)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Guilty posted:

I grew up an hour north of LA, and never saw a bill higher than 200 for my family of four up until 2005. You guys must've REALLY hosed up in the past 6-7 years...

I live in Santa Barbara in a house with 2 other people. Our electric bill averages $300 per month (AC isn't a factor, almost no home even has it here, including mine). At least natural gas is dirt cheap here so heating isn't a big expense (but it's not like we need it too often in So Cal anyway, except for hot water of course). That's about $25 per month. Water/sewer is about $70, garbage/recycling another $30. California is expensive in general, but really there are plenty of (less pleasant IMO) places where heating or cooling bills will rape your wallet just as much.

Edit: vvv Heh. To each his own! Plus someone has to stay up there to protect us in the lower 48 from the evil hordes of polar bears. Many thanks!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 24, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Choadmaster posted:

I live in Santa Barbara in a house with 2 other people. Our electric bill averages $300 per month (AC isn't a factor, almost no home even has it here, including mine). At least natural gas is dirt cheap here so heating isn't a big expense (but it's not like we need it too often in So Cal anyway, except for hot water of course). That's about $25 per month. Water/sewer is about $70, garbage/recycling another $30. California is expensive in general, but really there are plenty of (less pleasant IMO) places where heating or cooling bills will rape your wallet just as much.

Try heating a house with electricity in interior AK. 400 a month just for electricity is easy in winter. (also, your heat will be unreliable)

I'd still rather live there than SoCal.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Those are shameful results.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

zeroprime posted:

Eh, looking at the questions it's not hard to see why republicans would outperform democrats considering that they are all value neutral and are likely covered constantly by right wing talk radio. Also, younger people tend to perform worse than older people who tend to be more republican. I'd like to see a poll that asked questions like "does UK healthcare cost more than US healthcare?" etc and see the comparative results.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

zeroprime posted:

Thirteen percent of respondents think the Star of David is associated with Islam. :psyduck:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Thirteen percent of respondents think the Star of David is associated with Islam. :psyduck:
Well, it is. Of course in the context of the question it's the wrong answer, but the hexagram is a pretty common symbol and there are few religions it is not associated with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram#Usage_by_Muslims

Also, turns out the Star of David has been used as a symbol for Judaism only since the 17th century or so.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In addition the star, like swastika, was a very common decorative element in early 20th century art and was not associated with Judaism.

Eg. here's Grand Duchess Maria Georgiyevna's costume in the Ball of 1903. Jews weren't very well liked in Russia at the time...

(the Ball of 1903 was pretty rad btw. as the entire Imperial family and elite was gathered for this anachronistic cosplay thing where they pretended being medieval Russian princes. It goes to show how detached the Romanovs had become from the common people, but at the same time the costumes are just awesome. Here's General Meyendorf, apparently dressed as Gimli the son of Glóin:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Re: Aldi. It's weird that Aldi pays decent wages or is considered a decent employer in the US. I've worked at a rival chain in Germany and the horror stories I heard about working for Aldi never stopped. poo poo pay, poo poo hours, poo poo bosses and a poo poo prospect of any promotion.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

az posted:

Re: Aldi. It's weird that Aldi pays decent wages or is considered a decent employer in the US. I've worked at a rival chain in Germany and the horror stories I heard about working for Aldi never stopped. poo poo pay, poo poo hours, poo poo bosses and a poo poo prospect of any promotion.

In the US, all they have to do is be a better employer than Wal*Mart, which is about as hard as beating a brick in a footrace.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

az posted:

It's a part time job that you can have and get benefits, meaning you won't go broke if you get an illness or want to keep your teeth from rotting out of your head. Hell, the cashiers get to sit down. I don't know if cashiers sitting down is normal in Europe, but Aldi is sure as hell the only retail store that it happens in the US at.

All of those factors plus the fact that cashiering there isn't technically dead-end (I think they tend to promote from inside) not only make it a desirable job but a highly desirable job for somebody without a college degree in this economy.

Ixjuvin posted:

In the US, all they have to do is be a better employer than Wal*Mart, which is about as hard as beating a brick in a footrace.

Wal*Mart is technically a good job in the US. There are people in the US with the occupation of 'tomato picker' that don't get paid.

Man, this country of ours is really screwed.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 25, 2012

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

Wal*Mart is technically a good job in the US. There are people in the US with the occupation of 'tomato picker' that don't get paid.

Man, this country of ours is really screwed.

Walmart is not a good job, just because there are worse jobs illegally being done in the US doesn't qualify it as good. Walmart is the lowest of the jobs where you will (most likely) not be asked to break the law while you work there.

az
Dec 2, 2005

babies havin rabies posted:

It's a part time job that you can have and get benefits, meaning you won't go broke if you get an illness or want to keep your teeth from rotting out of your head. Hell, the cashiers get to sit down. I don't know if cashiers sitting down is normal in Europe, but Aldi is sure as hell the only retail store that it happens in the US at.

All of those factors plus the fact that cashiering there isn't technically dead-end (I think they tend to promote from inside) not only make it a desirable job but a highly desirable job for somebody without a college degree in this economy.

Wow. Working retail normally isn't a part-time job here unless you do something like part-time shelf stocking, like I did in HS. Most employees are former apprentices that have learned everything there is to do in the store. They can stock shelves, help customers or staff the register if needed. Also cashiers always sit down in supermarkets or similar stores and as far as I've seen, don't help you pack your bags, neither are there designated bag packers.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

az posted:

Wow. Working retail normally isn't a part-time job here unless you do something like part-time shelf stocking, like I did in HS. Most employees are former apprentices that have learned everything there is to do in the store. They can stock shelves, help customers or staff the register if needed. Also cashiers always sit down in supermarkets or similar stores and as far as I've seen, don't help you pack your bags, neither are there designated bag packers.

Congratulations, you are living in a first-world country. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can't find the email anymore, but has anyone else received the 'SONG ALL RADIO IS BANNED FROM PLAYING ON THE AIRWAYS' email?

The song, btw, is God Bless America. I remember some ranting that ever since Obama took office, any song with a Christian influence has been banned from airways because it would offend his Muslim sensibilities.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can't find the email anymore, but has anyone else received the 'SONG ALL RADIO IS BANNED FROM PLAYING ON THE AIRWAYS' email?

The song, btw, is God Bless America. I remember some ranting that ever since Obama took office, any song with a Christian influence has been banned from airways because it would offend his Muslim sensibilities.

I got the one that came out after 911. >>>BANNED SONGS FROM THE RADIO<<< about the Clearchannel stations.
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/radio.asp

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Cowslips Warren posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/diamondrio.asp

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
I finally got this "gem" from someone on my e-mail list.

random idiot posted:

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!

A United States Marine was taking some college courses
between assignments. He had completed 20 missions in Iraq
and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who
was an avowed atheist, and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in.
He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "GOD, if you are real, then
I want you to knock me off this platform... I'll give you exactly 15 min."
The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes
went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am GOD, I'm still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got
out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him;
knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.
The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently.

The other students were shocked and stunned, and sat there
looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to,
noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked,
"What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied,
"GOD was too busy today protecting America 's
soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid
stuff and act like an idiot. So He sent me."
The classroom erupted in cheers!

THIS IS GOOD, KEEP IT GOING!

I know this one has been posted before in this thread, but who writes this poo poo?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like that he's also now a member of the ACLU. Because if anyone might be intolerant to religion, it's the ACLU.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I like that he's also now a member of the ACLU. Because if anyone might be intolerant to religion, it's the ACLU.

How dare you support an organization that fights for the rights of people I disagree with!

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

King Dopplepopolos posted:

I finally got this "gem" from someone on my e-mail list.

I know this one has been posted before in this thread, but who writes this poo poo?

Please send this as a reply all:

quote:

Some Internet Guy posted:
A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.” The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.” It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and lifted up his arm to strike him.

At that moment the professor was transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, wreathed in a halo of holy fire. The bear spoke: "Blasphemer thou art, thou thinkst to take the place of God? Those who deny me face eternal fire, but you who knows my work and yet commits the sin of Satan I curse a hundred times over!" The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently picking at his boils. Then Richard Dawkins burst into the room, wielding a copy of The Selfish Gene and crying "Leave that boy alone, you pathetic atavism!" As the holy bear whirled around, terrible light flashing in its eyes, Dawkins shed his mortal form, raised each of his seven horned heads, and hissed. "It'ssss me you want!". And then the Lord and the Antichrist joined in the final battle.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Then Albert Einstein ate the Marine.