Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

Im not going to lie, being excited about a GW product release feels a little weird.

It's like being young again. Apparently as part of this 25th anniversary stuff, they have displays of old blister packs etc with the original prices. Young kids are freaking out about how much it used to cost, while I freak out about how much it now costs..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' paint conversion chart.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

crime fighting hog posted:

Airbrushed bases look like brownies

Don't taste like em tho

This picture depicts the early stages of the Lemondrop Division's assault on Fudge Sector. The elite Meringue Guard is clearly visible in the vanguard.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Most of the construction on the Thunderhawk is done. I still need to clean up the mount for the turbolaser on the top, or at least add a little more detail to its mantlet. Right now the thing is painted with a grey primer and pre shading is done around the panels. You'll also see an abortive attempt to start the white lower half of the paint scheme, I think I am going to head to the local model store and get some actual airbrush white paint instead of trying to run lovely, old GW skull white through.

The weapons are mashed together out of bits of plasticard and spare heavy bolters, autocannons and even whirlwind launcher odds and ends. All of the weapons are blue tacked in place for now so they can be painted more easily.

What I am aiming for is something similar to the USN scheme from WW2- blue on the upper surfaces and white on the underside. Naturally, there will be discoloration and scorching, given what a drop ship likely suffers during re-entry.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just have so many paints I cant justify buying any more. Might buy some of the new washes since it looks like they fixed the red wash being terrible and actually a weak pink color.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Holy balls, $536.00 USD for the entire paint set? :psyduck:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sole.Sushi posted:

Holy balls, $536.00 USD for the entire paint set? :psyduck:

That's exactly 145 paints at 3.70 a pot. So I guess they throw in the case for free.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$870 for the same set... :australia:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dominion posted:

That's exactly 145 paints at 3.70 a pot. So I guess they throw in the case for free.

What a bonus! :confuoot:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Bhyo is it fair to say you think Dry paints will do for highlighting what the washes did for shading? Are they that revolutionary in the "instantly better at painting" way that Devlan Mud was?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Bhyo posted:

:words:

Welp looks like I'm gonna be buying a whole bunch of paints.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sole.Sushi posted:

What a bonus! :confuoot:

Some guy on dakka calculated that at about 3 bucks a pop, you're saving 100 dollars on top of the case! Can't argue with those savings!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I still carry my paints in a Portable HDD box.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Irate Tree posted:

I wish nothing but violence on the person that determined the Aussie markup.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I wish nothing but violence on the person that determined the Aussie markup.

Hopefully something close to what is going on in your avatar.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ularg posted:

Hopefully something close to what is going on in your avatar.

That seems like it would be too quick.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not sure where else I'd put this, but I bought a box of Devastators tonight and a box of Reaper Miniatures Familiars for some Chooser of the Slain for my Rune Priest, and found a wittle hedgehog model. :3:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Irate Tree posted:

Tell me about it. GW's Aussie prices are loving ridiculous.

For Aussies looking for bitz and complete sprues at half the Aussie cost, plus cheap shipping, go to https://www.bitzbarn.com.

The guy who runs it is super cool and very very helpful. Has saved me a packet over the years.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Perhaps the right picture is this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Too much talking about paint. Not enough about dreadnoughts.

It's been too long since I used my airbrush or painted a Salamander model. Oh well, this one made for a fun revisit to my marines. This makes for painted dreadnought #8.

What is wrong with me :negative:

The pose looks more 'stumbling drunk' in these pictures but the idea is that it's charging forward, burninating the poo poo out of some dudes prior to assault. The multimelta arm is magnetized, but not the CCW arm.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Is there a logical reason as to why they changed the names? To get people to buy the "new" colors?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dominion posted:

Bhyo is it fair to say you think Dry paints will do for highlighting what the washes did for shading? Are they that revolutionary in the "instantly better at painting" way that Devlan Mud was?

It wont be a leap forward for painters like Bachtere/PV on here as such. What it will do is make it so much easier to drybrush, theres almost no chance of those accidental streaks of paint where you havent wiped it off. For people with less interest in painting, it will mean they can paint really well, really easily.

I forgot to mention one really important thing. The shades dont smell of vomit anymore. It was something they specifically set out to fix, the horrific smell. Also the Base Red doesnt taste bad at all.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Is there a logical reason as to why they changed the names? To get people to buy the "new" colors?

This is because all of the colours have changed. Some are similar, but all of them are different.

All of your old paints can be used/mixed with the new ones, but the fact theres 71 new colours means I dont have to mix so much.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 24, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Oh poo poo... there are new colors?! :psyduck:

gently caress. :negative:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Oh poo poo... there are new colors?! :psyduck:

gently caress. :negative:

Theres 4 Pinks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Roctavian posted:

Perhaps the right picture is this:

Me reading KNF :gbsmith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bhyo posted:

Theres 4 Pinks.

gently caress this hobby so hard.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Names aside, I think we are all happy with the direction that GW is going with the paint.

Also, Fyrbrand, you may have a dreadnought addiction. If you feel that your addiction to dreadnoughts is having an adverse affect on your life, you may want to get help.
I don't want to see you with a severe case of dreadmouth after years of abuse. That thought haunts me, bro.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Three different green washes? Time to buy more Death Guard and make them fabulous!

ZwobotJones
Apr 30, 2009

Click click
I just got home from the local GW and got to test the new stuff.

Have to say, I'm fairly impressed. The Bases have great coverage, the specialized drybrushing paints work well, Glaze is fairly interesting and is neat for after highlighting and stuff. Shades don't cover the same way Washes did, which is a good thing I guess (using Devlan Mud for dirty guardsman pants was the greatest thing though) and they also don't pool as easily. I think I'll see myself actually using more of these than just brown and black.
Oh, and the Texture paints really make basing a lot less of a hassle.

One more thing for everybody concerned about the lids: no dropper bottles, but they put the pin back in and made it so the lid stays at a different angle, preventing the paint from going all over it.

Now I have to wait until April 7th for them to actually be available for purchase :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ZwobotJones posted:

Shades don't cover the same way Washes did

This is terrible news, unless they are somehow magically better :smith: Pretty much everything I paint revolves around heavy use of Devlan Mud or Badab Black

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Do any of you guys with airbrushes have a piston compressor? I can't find any that aren't where I live, but I'm reading mixed things about whether it matters or not.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Lethemonster posted:

Do any of you guys with airbrushes have a piston compressor? I can't find any that aren't where I live, but I'm reading mixed things about whether it matters or not.

Short answer: higher chance of breaking down than membrane-style compressors, increased heat output makes moisture trap even more essential, and can potentially cause problems with painting at extremely fine levels of detail. Get one with a tank on it to reduce the influence of both of those problems by giving the air a place to cool pre-hose and the compressor a chance to rest occasionally while in use.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
(Cross post)

Had fun playing with these new paints. I'm not entirely sold on these. The paints don't need much watering down, which is kinda awesome, but it does seem to mean you need a fair bit more paint. Doing just one Spehs Mareen I had to dip into the pot 4 or 5 times :ohdear: The new dry paints are kinda cool; you don't waste as much paint, but they're very... bitty. Didn't drybush on very smoothly at all. The new "shades" do have a nicer feel to them, do still take a while to dry. The glazes are kinda cool, apparently intended to blend everything together after.

Play by play of using the new stuff.

There's hundreds of these new cards as well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think I'm going to sit down for a little bit. My bank account just called in sick.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Namenlos posted:

There's hundreds of these new cards as well.

Now if they put those on the back of all the blister packs I would call it an act of genius, having said that I am sure because of that GW wont do it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dammit Sushi I do not have a problem. I can stop ANY TIME I WANT. Just because I have two more dreads sitting here, and am already planning an additional 2. Well that's just one last hit before I quit is all. For real this time.

For real...

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I know i have a problem, as i'm actively trying to talk myself out of justifying the ~$830 AUD for the full paint set, despite knowing i'd use maybe 10% of them.

They just look so good compared to the old sets.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Time for something pretty:

Thread for it is here:

http://platoonbritannica.com/index.php?threads/wraith.1699/

Notice it gliding through the scenery and the poor snail :ohdear:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Looking at the new paints, are the shade line of paints basically replacing the washes we have now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's like being young again. Apparently as part of this 25th anniversary stuff, they have displays of old blister packs etc with the original prices. Young kids are freaking out about how much it used to cost, while I freak out about how much it now costs..

A bunch of us were reminiscing at the FLGS yesterday and the topic of $16 rhinos came up. Some of the teens that came in couldn't believe it.

• Locked thread