Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Coffee And Pie posted:

Guts (and Global Guts) was okay, but nothing can ever top Legends of the Hidden Temple in terms of sheer badassness.

Oh man, so many fond memories of screaming at the dipshits that couldn't put that monkey together. It's like the producers intentionally picked the biggest retards they could find for the rest of us kids to feel better about ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From what I understand they normally recorded about six episodes of Legends of the Hidden Temple in one day, so those kids would have been sitting in a poorly air-conditioned room eating and drinking stuff that's relatively meager for hours at a time. Add to that that I can't imagine the studio was terribly pleasant to be in either, and that the Shrine of the Silver Monkey came near the end of the entire thing, I can understand why they'd have some trouble getting the goddamn thing to fit right.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cleretic posted:

From what I understand they normally recorded about six episodes of Legends of the Hidden Temple in one day, so those kids would have been sitting in a poorly air-conditioned room eating and drinking stuff that's relatively meager for hours at a time. Add to that that I can't imagine the studio was terribly pleasant to be in either, and that the Shrine of the Silver Monkey came near the end of the entire thing, I can understand why they'd have some trouble getting the goddamn thing to fit right.

I can't remember the link, but a former contestant wrote his story in webcomic form that described his experience, and it was just as horrible as you said. So I choose to blame the producers for:

a) putting them through that in the first place

b) putting it on TV for rear end in a top hat kids like me to mock them

It was still an awesome show.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I remember a really cheesy video game show where the contestants were given an objective to do in a game and then asked some trivia or something.

They'd get to pick from a row of arcade cabs, which had poo poo like Altered Beast or Chuck Rock... and Actraiser was always a loving game. I'm pretty sure they didn't come out and mention it, but I'm fairly sure they were all Genesis/Megadrive games.

Also the 90's had a bunch of great cartoons and toys based on media that children shouldn't have seen. Ace Ventura cartoon, Aliens and Terminator toys, etc. Kenner did gangbusters I'm sure.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We can't discuss 90's game shows without mentioning the best of them all: Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego?

Everything about this was perfect. The geography trivia, the silly minigames, the loving awesome soundtrack (HIT IT ROCKAPELLA), and the fact that it aired while Yugoslavia and Central Africa were breaking apart, so the country names kept changing every 6 months so you had to keep on your toes.

Once again: HIT IT ROCKAPELLA!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Avocados posted:

God drat, that interface. Sometimes you really can't go home again, eh?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
What does "campy" even mean?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Ladies and gentleman, here's your host: PHIL MOORE!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mister_Eel posted:

What does "campy" even mean?

Wikipedia Article on Camp posted:

Camp is an aesthetic sensibility that regards something as appealing or humorous because of its deliberate ridiculousness. The concept is closely related to kitsch, and things with camp appeal may also be described as being "cheesy".

It's basically just what it sounds like: inherently ridiculous poo poo we used to like unironically, then look back on in 15 years, think "wow that was stupid, why did I like that?" and loops back around to being enjoyed ironically.

So this thread is mostly us taking off our childhood red-tinted glasses and laughing at ourselves.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Benne posted:

It's basically just what it sounds like: inherently ridiculous poo poo we used to like unironically, then look back on in 15 years, think "wow that was stupid, why did I like that?" and loops back around to being enjoyed ironically.

So this thread is mostly us taking off our childhood red-tinted glasses and laughing at ourselves.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I remember there was a show on Nickolodeon with a black host, a white host, and a girl host. They did outdoor challenges not unlike what you might see on Survivor, like untying huge fields of rope or something.
I remember there was a challenge where they had to paint huge sections of this bus different colors and then... clean it off. Nick game shows were the best. Marc Summers for president.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

HateTheInternet posted:

Ladies and gentleman, here's your host: PHIL MOORE!

Wow man, Nick Arcade. Part of GAS. I wasn't even much of a fan but poo poo I miss those times.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Benne posted:

Once again: HIT IT ROCKAPELLA!

"Hmmm bop ba dip ba daahh hmm a dop,
Hmmm bop ba dip ba daahh hmm a dop,
Hmmm bop ba dip ba daahh hmm a dop,
Hmmm bop
Booowwwwww!"

Holy crap that was a show.

Myst.

Secret Of Mana.

Clayfighters.

Ooooh oh ooooh wooh woooh, this is Alllll That, this is Alllll Thaaaat!

Cartoon Sushi.

MST3K Turkey Day Marathons.

Good times.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Aerosmith was a huge deal back then, anyone remember that arcade game that starred them?

Ah, Revolution X. Even the name screams 90's!

If anyone has never heard of this, it's a game where a bunch of butch biker women wage war against the YOUTH CULTURE in the far off dystopian future of 1996, and you defeat them by shooting Aerosmith CDs at them with a light gun. I saw one of those at a roller rink around 1999, I didn't play it because I was too amazed by the graphics of the Soul Calibur machine next to it.

Here's a neat little pamphlet that sums it up pretty nicely: http://filesmelt.com/dl/62170802.jpg

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Salute Your Shorts and Are You Afraid of the Dark were nice, but anyone remember the absolute poo poo that was "Hey, Dude"? It was like a soap opera for 13 yos about a dusty ranch where nothing happened ever.

The weird part was I've seen hours of that show, I'm sure.

A Salute Your Shorts quote that has stayed with me: "Wrestling is only cool when it's Sgt. Slaughter bodyslammin' the Atomic Werewolf! :kiddo:"

That loving tv show where King Arthur and his knights were football players from the future. The Creepy Crawlies tv show. The awesomeness that was the Mighty Max show (never had the little playsets).

seefive
Apr 13, 2006

im in position
This was the coolest poo poo ever

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Bet you thought you'd never hear this song again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmkCoiHC2c

skog
Aug 20, 2009
This belongs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrMOxASAmP0

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Ah, Revolution X. Even the name screams 90's!

If anyone has never heard of this, it's a game where a bunch of butch biker women wage war against the YOUTH CULTURE in the far off dystopian future of 1996, and you defeat them by shooting Aerosmith CDs at them with a light gun. I saw one of those at a roller rink around 1999, I didn't play it because I was too amazed by the graphics of the Soul Calibur machine next to it.

Here's a neat little pamphlet that sums it up pretty nicely: http://filesmelt.com/dl/62170802.jpg

About a year ago, I saw a copy of it at Play & Trade for $5. I couldn't resist. It's even more horrible than you can imagine.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Da da da da da dah daa daa dah duh dah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTnbdWTzDo

Rugrats was the best goddamn show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MrGreenShirt posted:

Bet you thought you'd never hear this song again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmkCoiHC2c

And I thought the best thing Brandy ever did was I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Da da da da da dah daa daa dah duh dah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTnbdWTzDo

Rugrats was the best goddamn show.

I watched some old episodes of Rugrats with my daughter (she'll be 5 in August), and dude, there are so many jokes that went over my head as a child. Nearly every mispronounced word by the kids is with real comedic purpose and has a payoff. It's kind of beautiful.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Packard Bell computers and this game that came with them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4OlgSyahHY

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
California. Knows how to party.

Seal, Jim Carrey, and thin Val Kilmer as Schumacher's Batman.

And finally, whatever happened to Merril Bainbridge?

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Mar 24, 2012

Aberlien
Feb 12, 2011

I am a doctor. This is science.

Digital Scumbag posted:

I remember there was a show on Nickolodeon with a black host, a white host, and a girl host. They did outdoor challenges not unlike what you might see on Survivor, like untying huge fields of rope or something.
I remember there was a challenge where they had to paint huge sections of this bus different colors and then... clean it off. Nick game shows were the best. Marc Summers for president.

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of Wild And Crazy Kids.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
ABC Kids (ABC as in Australian Broadcasting Corporation) had it's epitome in the 90s and nothing would ever beat The Ferals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWlx0F0Pd3w

And all the other ABC Kids TV shows as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4VhmoUHFQ&feature=related

:australia:

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Mar 24, 2012

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

There was only a very small cultural window that this would be acceptable.

One day in 1996, I was perusing the Sam Goody's at the local mall, and I saw a bunch of bottles of this stuff for sale. The SGs didn't have a refrigerator, so they were just lying on the ground, unsold and slowly fermenting.

Bulgaroktonos has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Mar 24, 2012

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Aberlien posted:

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of Wild And Crazy Kids.

With Omar Gooding, Cuba's older brother.

What about Beekmans World? It was like Bill Nye the Science Guy but all kooky and weird, also there was a man in a rat costume.

I also fondly remeber the books "Maniac Mcghee" and "Sideway Stories from Wayside School".

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Digital Scumbag posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same show, but there was a game show they played on YTV, there were contestants in the studio but they'd cut away to this pre-recorded obstacle course thing that some other kids would be doing, and the in-studio contestants would basically bet on who would win.

My class and a couple of others were filmed for one of the obstacle course segments. One student from each class was chosen to actually participate and the rest of us were basically cheerleaders. It was 100% rigged though, cause our student was killing it through the first few sections, but got to a point where the judge had to say the student did something correctly before he could move on, but the judge kept saying he had to go back and do it again for no reason, so he ended up in last place.

Even though the kid who won the obstacle course didn't even get anything, they weren't the real contestants, we were so outraged at the unfairness of it all. Way to disillusion a bunch of 12 year olds.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Charliegrs posted:

If Im not mistaken I think there was even a few characters in some cartoons who had HIV/AIDs. One thing I remember about the early 90s was the aids hysteria what with Freddy Mercury dying, and Magic Johnson contracting the disease really putting it in the spotlight. And with the hysteria came a lot of misinfo, like people thought you could catch aids by hugging someone and stuff like that. So I think to combat that misinfo there was at least once cartoon character in a show that had AIDS. I cannot remember the character or the show but Im almost certain it happened.

Don't forget that Walker: Texas Ranger episode from like 1993 where the kid had AIDS and didn't know it and had to defeat his inner demons in a vision quest or something. Then he went to a basketball game and met Mark Cuban. Then Walker told him he had AIDS ("Walker told me I have AIDS :(" and he literally died the next day. Of AIDS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cleretic posted:

Sorry, not good enough of an excuse.

It's a monkey head! It goes on top on the monkey! How is that so hard?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

What about Beekmans World? It was like Bill Nye the Science Guy but all kooky and weird, also there was a man in a rat costume.

I must be the only person who liked Beakman's World more than Bill Nye.

And Lester was the poo poo! The best part was that he wasn't supposed to be a rat...he was just a guy in a rat suit, with no explanation given as to why he was in a rat suit.

And the girl who played the first assistant recently plated a hooker on Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It was surreal watching her say poo poo like "man, this coat is tighter than dick skin."

Childhood innocence GONE!

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
- How can anyone forget Bug Juice?

- Kellie Martin playing the role of a teenager in every Lifetime movie, even though she was probably 30 by the end of the decade

- Near the end of the decade, every pop video had dancers in the background doing synchronized dances

- Singled Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqrGJUHM9w

That Singled Out clip led me to remember The Love Connection. And this video. I love the vile hatred they show toward each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUnRIzwbgkA&feature=related

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

With Omar Gooding, Cuba's older brother.

I also fondly remeber the books "Maniac Mcghee" and "Sideway Stories from Wayside School".

Omar is way younger than Cuba, man.

I loved Beakman's World. Beakman's World, Bill Nye and Mr. Wizard (came on in the wee-hours of the morning on Nickelodeon) primed my mind for science. Some other shows I enjoyed back in the day, in no particular order:

The Secret World of Alex Mack, Two Stupid Dogs, Mighty Max, Duckman (got into so much trouble watching this as a kid), Aaaa! Real Monsters, Doug, Hey Arnold and the grandpappy of them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz4lmnMisFE

It was Sunday afternoon, nothing else was on and you begrudgingly watched this show. You know you did.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

And finally, whatever happened to Merril Bainbridge?

Holy poo poo, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of all the 90's 1hit songs and stuff but I completely forgot about this one. Nicely done.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

peepoogenderparts posted:

- How can anyone forget Bug Juice?

I actually went to junior high with Hassan!

And because of this thread, I was watching Bug Juice this morning on you tube.... Why the hell are a bunch of teenagers at summer camp so drat interesting?

My favorite 90's routine was pouring myself a bowl of cereal and watching a combo of Saved by the Bell and Perfect Strangers in the morning before school :)

liz has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Mar 24, 2012

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't forget that Walker: Texas Ranger episode from like 1993 where the kid had AIDS and didn't know it and had to defeat his inner demons in a vision quest or something. Then he went to a basketball game and met Mark Cuban. Then Walker told him he had AIDS ("Walker told me I have AIDS :(" and he literally died the next day. Of AIDS.

The kid was Haley Joel Osment.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Some 90's hip hop/R&B was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV8vB1BB2qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFYFuAX4N4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7m_Pgt1S8

Goddman, the 90's was ALL about the belly shirts

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
This is still a fantastic song, I don't give a gently caress.

The 90s were a great time to be a kid. Nowhere else could you eat little lovely pizzas where the only toppings were chocolate and M&Ms, and then call that lunch. Then go home, play N64 and watch Nickelodeon. All day, every day. :feelsgood:

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

Trying to guess what the BIG ART ATTACK was going to be.

There was a rumour that if you put two of them together for long enough they'd have a BABY OMG, and there was always one kid who swore he'd done it at home but his mum wouldn't let him bring it in to show you :saddowns:

Back when Polly Pockets were a choking hazard and nobody cared because they knew we were'nt stupid enough to eat our polly pocket figurines! They were like gold dust!

For some reason my dad thought this show was amazing and he always bought me the magazine when it was out :)

Everyone had one of these fuckers in their garden but nobody knew how to actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

CROSSFIRE! YOU'LL GET CAUGHT UP IN THE....

CROSSFIRE!

http://youtu.be/rCwn1NTK-50

Hard to get more friggin' pumped than Crossfire. Did anyone actually play this game? The commercials made it look like a combination of hungry hungry hippos and a death match.

You might enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc2vYUEA9w

• Locked thread