Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

That is due to him never going to a nascar race and he never watches youtube. He also does not have a myspace page.

No, I meant the IRL shitstorm about the anti-teabagger protest signs a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soonmot posted:

No, I meant the IRL shitstorm about the anti-teabagger protest signs a few years back.

I know I just wanted to mock Frontline that awful awful comic

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can get behind that sentiment.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

TheHan posted:

Just saw this cover to Batgirl.

Clearly there is a life vest in her suit that's inflating there. :downs:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what's going on with her right arm but it would literally touch her knees if she stood up straight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

al-azad posted:

I don't know what's going on with her right arm but it would literally touch her knees if she stood up straight.

Isn't that what she's looking at? She's drowning and being attacked by her own monster arm.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I like how this is one of the few depictions of incorrect overly-done muscles on a FEMALE that's getting attention.

Every other time it's the usual suspects of Liefeld and similar 90s superstars injecting bubbly steroids into everything from the delts to the pecs to the weird ribbed muscles on the ribs.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how this is one of the few depictions of incorrect overly-done muscles on a FEMALE that's getting attention.

Every other time it's the usual suspects of Liefeld and similar 90s superstars injecting bubbly steroids into everything from the delts to the pecs to the weird ribbed muscles on the ribs.

Watch out Batman! You have genital warts on your ribcage!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's actually a great look for Batman. That'd strike fear into the hearts of anyone.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Wait, how isn't that a Liefeld drawing?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Wait, how isn't that a Liefeld drawing?

Back then everything looked like a Liefeld drawing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Those pouches, man. Those pouches. What's he keep in there, cell phone batteries from 1982?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Kelly Jones is actually a lot more capable than that, which makes it even more sad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Heresiarch posted:

Kelly Jones is actually a lot more capable than that, which makes it even more sad.
The early 1990s were terrible for having companies insist that their artists draw in the Liefeld/McFarlane "extreme" style, even if it was completely unsuited for them.

There were some amazingly terrible comics launched by the Big 2 to try and ride the pouches/gritted teeth/wild hair/signature scroll/giant cape trend. The books that came out of Zero Hour are the ones that made the biggest impression on me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FMguru posted:

The early 1990s were terrible for having companies insist that their artists draw in the Liefeld/McFarlane "extreme" style, even if it was completely unsuited for them.

There were some amazingly terrible comics launched by the Big 2 to try and ride the pouches/gritted teeth/wild hair/signature scroll/giant cape trend. The books that came out of Zero Hour are the ones that made the biggest impression on me.

Aside from Starman everything that spun out of Zero Hour was pretty horrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Aside from Starman everything that spun out of Zero Hour was pretty horrible.

There is on occasion a great title spun out of a horrible crossover. Starman, Thunderbolts, Blue Beetle.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

FMguru posted:

And yes, in case people were wondering, this is an attempted Doctor Fate reboot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib

Heresiarch posted:

Kelly Jones is one of my fave artists but his Azbats stuff was lacking. He did draw a great traditional Batman though. The reason for the discrepancy is that Jones is a lot better at drawing "grotesque" characters (ie Batman with very long ears and infinite cape) that goes more for mood and atmosphere. Unfortunately for something like Azbats this is harder to do as the costume is too "modern" and doesn't allow much for interpretations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like how happy the gargoyle looks.

"YAY, Batman choose to perch on me. :D"

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Good art: Francisco Francavella

I'd pay to see possibly the greatest comic strip in history turned into hardboiled pulp

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is Ed Benes' name pronounced "Beans" or "Beh-nes"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Is Ed Benes' name pronounced "Beans" or "Beh-nes"?
Pretty sure it's the latter. Like Elaine from Seinfeld.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

There is on occasion a great title spun out of a horrible crossover. Starman, Thunderbolts, Blue Beetle.

It's almost a rule; for every horrible event there is at least one good title to come out of it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Hitman too! Thank God no-one remembers Bloodlines.

Good art, James Stokoe is doing a Godzilla comic starting August and :sbahj: it just looks amazing.

The sheer amount of detail present on the page is just jaw-dropping.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Hurt posted:

Good art, James Stokoe is doing a Godzilla comic starting August and :sbahj: it just looks amazing.

I love how he rendered Godzilla's roar. I want a full page print of that scene.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Hurt posted:

I'm buying the gently caress out of this. Digital/Print/whateverthefuck I need this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dr. Hurt posted:

:stare: I need this. I need this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only thing that would make the new Godzilla comic complete are covers by Geoff Darrow. Big Guy and Rusty was basically Godzilla vs. Astro Boy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

al-azad posted:

The only thing that would make the new Godzilla comic complete are covers by Geoff Darrow. Big Guy and Rusty was basically Godzilla vs. Astro Boy.

Godzilla VS Astro Boy and the Iron Giant. :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib

DarkCrawler posted:

Godzilla VS Astro Boy and the Iron Giant. :colbert:

Godzilla has already faced his toughest match in comic book form:

(art by Mike Barron. Godzilla Vs. Charles Barkley one shot)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Jesus, what is it with Charles Barkley and being in awesomely weird-as-gently caress spinoff things? He played in the Space Jam, he shot hoops against loving Godzilla, and he blew up New York with the Chaos Dunk. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up out of nowhere to help Batman catch the Joker and Commissioner Gordon was all "oh hey sup Charles, you workin' with Batman again? That's cool."

I decided to find out more about this crazy rear end comic and whoa hey:

Yeah that's Godzilla wearing Nikes. Why did Nike make shoes for Godzilla? Why do you care Jesus Christ it's Charles Barkley teaching Godzilla how to play basketball yessss

Apparently the writing is kinda racist though, if the comments I read are any indication. Racial stereotyping in a comic book? No way that's loving ridicu

noooooooooooo

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 3, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sir Charles is just a swell, good humored guy like Chuck Norris or Shaq. He was pretty aggressive on the court and body checking Godzilla is the least of his offenses.

Barkley's golf days, now that's a horror story for the ages.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

I decided to find out more about this crazy rear end comic and whoa hey:

My favorite part is that Barkley goes from being Godzilla-sized back to human-sized and on a plane in between panels with zero explanation given.

Also, "Godzilla got busy" is probably the best narration box in the history of the medium.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Angry Diplomat posted:

Apparently the writing is kinda racist though, if the comments I read are any indication. Racial stereotyping in a comic book? No way that's loving ridicu

noooooooooooo
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be offended by here or if I'm supposed to be at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Judging by the flatter nose and "angle" of the rocks jutting out of the back of her head I think it's meant to be assumed that she's African-American with dreadlocks in a "bouffant" style, but drawn with one consistent inhuman skin tone.

Honestly there is kind-of a basis for racism there.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

al-azad posted:

Sir Charles is just a swell, good humored guy like Chuck Norris or Shaq. He was pretty aggressive on the court and body checking Godzilla is the least of his offenses.

Barkley's golf days, now that's a horror story for the ages.

FYI shaq is a humorless baby and a mushmouth rear end in a top hat who can't take a joke, nor can he tell one without weeks of practice. I can see how you might get confused since his PR has tried so hard to spin him as a lovable giant goof, but just try looking into the insane and awful poo poo he's done with regard to his divorce/affairs or watching him ruin Inside the NBA on a weekly basis.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Madkal posted:

Godzilla has already faced his toughest match in comic book form:

(art by Mike Barron. Godzilla Vs. Charles Barkley one shot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCF-QFuoYs

90s commercials were the best commercials :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mind the walrus posted:

Judging by the flatter nose and "angle" of the rocks jutting out of the back of her head I think it's meant to be assumed that she's African-American with dreadlocks in a "bouffant" style, but drawn with one consistent inhuman skin tone.

Honestly there is kind-of a basis for racism there.

Yeah, Bling there (seriously, her name is Bling, or occasionally with an exclamation point, so Bling!) is not only a young African-American mutant but is in fact the daughter of two popular hip-hop musicians (Roy "Daddy Libido" Washington and Angel "Sexy Mutha" Depres - you can't make this poo poo up) who appeared in her parents' videos from a young age.

She's... well, she's not an inherently offensive character to my mind, but the fact that she started out as a broad caricature and (and this is the important part) has never really been developed beyond that point is pretty bad. She's appeared in some stories but she's never had a chance to develop much depth beyond the superficial.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah basically she is a no-effort pastiche of racial stereotypes. She's not an overtly racist character, but she is still a pretty loving racist character imho.

Also, on a note more relevant to this thread, I feel that her design is pretty silly even by comparison to the other hilariously silly things that pop up in X-Men. She's just this kind of smear of purply-blue colour and jaggedy lines. My eyes want to slide off of her in search of something easier to visually parse.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

FYI shaq is a humorless baby and a mushmouth rear end in a top hat who can't take a joke, nor can he tell one without weeks of practice. I can see how you might get confused since his PR has tried so hard to spin him as a lovable giant goof, but just try looking into the insane and awful poo poo he's done with regard to his divorce/affairs or watching him ruin Inside the NBA on a weekly basis.

I will never forgive that rear end in a top hat for Shaq-Fu. What a horrible game.