Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I didn't think the 250 would be capable having an FPV payload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Yeah there's a couple FPV 250s out there, the FPV set-up I will be running will weigh less than 50 grams. Here's a pretty sweet video of a 250 FPVing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKIpouAaMk

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

drat that looks fun.

I'm rather excited though, just ordered an AXN with all the extras from HobbyKing. Annoyingly they didn't have it in stock in the European warehouse, but still:
- Plane + motor
- 6 servos (some for spares)
- ESC
- Battery

All for €95 delivered from Hong Kong.

Also excited as there is the big model show in town this weekend (Anyone from Germany here?).

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Anybody have thoughts about how well this will work together as a setup? Do I have the correct approximate specs? Like, correct size/KV motors, props, decent battery capacity, and good part selection? Any positive or negative thoughts about particular parts?

VC-450 frame
OpenPilot CopterControl flight controller
Hobby King 30A ESCs
Tiger MT-2216-10 900KV motors
Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack
Gemfan 10x4.5 props (looking for Graupner)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Do you already have the OpenPilot CopterControl board? If you don't then I wouldn't bother trying to get one because they're not in production anymore, and the used boards are getting picked up for double their original price. It's idiotic.

Also, what type of flying do you want to do - crazy acrobatics or stable FPV or what?

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

I don't have one, have been trying for weeks to track one down though. They are gearing up for a production run on the CopterControl 3D, which is basically just a second revision of the CopterControl board. Until I track down a quality hackable controller (not convinced any of the Wii/Arduino options are quality) then I am just putting a cheap hobbyking controller on it for testing.

This one will hopefully become stable AP, and I'll move any parts I'm not happy with to a smaller one for acrobatics.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

arnika road posted:

I don't have one, have been trying for weeks to track one down though. They are gearing up for a production run on the CopterControl 3D, which is basically just a second revision of the CopterControl board. Until I track down a quality hackable controller (not convinced any of the Wii/Arduino options are quality) then I am just putting a cheap hobbyking controller on it for testing.

This one will hopefully become stable AP, and I'll move any parts I'm not happy with to a smaller one for acrobatics.

If you're just looking to do AP get the DJI Naza. If you want hackable, get the STM32 based Naze32, which uses MultiWii ported away from Arduino

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
This is pretty cool

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/9490-variable-pitch-quad-copter-using-single-motor/

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

That's interesting. The idea is very good and might be lighter overall than a 4 motor quad. But that whole tail assembly on a 450 is not meant to spin those 250 blades, the tail shaft is super soft and the whole slider thing will end up binding eventually because of the weight. Not to talk about the torque tube setup which strips easily. Love the way he thinks though but he really need to use something with a bigger shaft.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Didn't we already have this conversation about how multirotors are all about turning mechanical complexity into electrical complexity?

By building that he has just made a quad rotor with four times as many points of failure than a conventional helicopter. The odds of blowing an ESC or a motor are far less that the odds of stripping a gear or having a servo fail.

It is neat to see it done but it doesnt really add much over a conventional machine.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Someone was asking a few pages back about 25mw 5.8ghz transmitters. Well this guy just went 6.3km with one. He is using a Cloverleaf transmitter antenna and a 12-turn helical (drat!) on the receiver.

https://vimeo.com/38284562

Makes me feel kind of like a chump since I still haven't gone further than 4km with 200mw.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
More night FPV stuff. This is really well done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYa-0obMudw. Juz is the coolest.

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist
I'm almost finished my quadcopter. Tested it out last week.

I made the frame and controller myself. It has 30A Hobbyking ESCs connected to Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 Outrunners.

Works pretty well...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Multiwiicopter? Be sure to put a protective dome over it to prevent damage .

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist
The controller board is my own design. It's adapted from a general servo controller I made for some robotics stuff I do. Same with the base station software. It is pretty underpowered since it was just a servo controller in a previous life, hence the ATMega1284 as the main controller. It'll work for plain ol' teleop quadcoptering but doesn't do much beyond that. I am in the process of upgrading it to an TI OMAP (or more likely an Atmel SAM3 or SAM4) so I can actually do interesting things with it.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Twerpling posted:

I'm almost finished my quadcopter. Tested it out last week.

I made the frame and controller myself. It has 30A Hobbyking ESCs connected to Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 Outrunners.

Works pretty well...

Got the custom firmware for those ESCs?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist

arnika road posted:

Got the custom firmware for those ESCs?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

I will definitely do this in the future. I was considering modifying them so they could be serially driven and this looks like it pretty much is what I was going to do anyway...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Juz again : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98uHvqY9Ok&feature=g-all-u&context=G204bb3cFAAAAAAAAAAA

FPV over cars/semis drifting.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Any recommendations on where to buy a Tx/Rx? I read the previous posts, but both HobbyKing and HobbyPartz are backordered on everything. What other reputable sellers are there?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

Any recommendations on where to buy a Tx/Rx? I read the previous posts, but both HobbyKing and HobbyPartz are backordered on everything. What other reputable sellers are there?

Tip for hobbyking: sign up to get emailed on backorders. I kept checking for weeks to for a Turnigy 9x, and kept getting nothing. I signed up, and within a week or two, it was in stock. Unfortunately, I waited a day to order, and by that time they were sold out again. I signed up a second time, and I think they were back in stock in a week (and I got it in like 3 days).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I should probably add that it's for a project so I'd prefer to buy domestic (usa), but thanks for the tip.
I may end up checking out the local hobby shops. What brands of tx/rx should I look for / avoid?

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 7, 2012

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

I should probably add that it's for a project so I'd prefer to buy domestic (usa), but thanks for the tip.

I faced the same dilemma last month, and I honestly didn't find any domestic RC sites that didn't look sketchy as hell, and didn't want hundreds of dollars for a Tx/Rx.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

https://www.urbandrones.com https://www.readymaderc.com https://www.skylarkfpv.com https://www.fpvmanuals.com and https://www.truerc.net/canada are all excellent vendors.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, I got an ArduPilotMega 2.0 a while back (they kept adding features and it got to the point that I actually admitted, "wow, I legitimately couldn't do this"). But, I'm not really liking my hobbyking bixler (it takes too much room, and I'm notoriously good at catastrophically damaging it).

I want to try a quad, but I don't want to spend a fortune (esp. since now I got a handful of extra batteries, and a couple of extra ESCs for the Bixler...). Any suggestions for reasonably priced kits? Or am I better off getting a frame from Hobbyking (well, they're cheap!), then getting motors + ESCs?

Actually, if anyone knows if any good small quads, I'm all ears. All i need is something big enough to throw my APM 2.0 and camera + tx.

Last, does anyone know anything about the FrySky Tx/Rx + Telemetry combo? Right now I'm considering either:
https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telemetry-3dr915.htm
or
https://store.diydrones.com/Xbee_Telemetry_kit_p/kt-telemetry-xbee.htm
(assuming their website stops sucking), but if I can combine it with my tx/rx, then all the better. Thoughts?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't get multi-rotor stuff from Hobbyking aside from parts and plugs. Are you planning to use the APM as your flight controller?

Also, define "small" and also what kind of camera are you talking about flying with?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've been playing with a Syma S107, and I wanted to go the next step up, so to speak, is there any helicopter that can be used both indoors and outdoors?
Is there one that fits the indoors and outdoors but also has the rotor and tail just like a real helicopter?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If you just want a bigger coaxial, then the Double Horse 9101 is only like $50 and will fly outside just fine. Otherwise if you're looking for the next step, try a 4-channel single rotor fixed pitch helicopter like the Double Horse 9116.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I upgraded my 50" wing with some new gear, here's the breakdown:

-Stripped, straightened, GGed, spackled, and laminated
-Trace II OSD and Corona RP8D1 RSSI mods
-1.3ghz vtx with CL
-Hacker A30-16M v2 960kv
-10x7 APC prop
-Replaced 4000mah 3S with 3x 2200mah 3S in parallel
-Added pan to camera

~1750 grams AUW

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vitamin J posted:

I upgraded my 50" wing with some new gear, here's the breakdown:

-Stripped, straightened, GGed, spackled, and laminated
-Trace II OSD and Corona RP8D1 RSSI mods
-1.3ghz vtx with CL
-Hacker A30-16M v2 960kv
-10x7 APC prop
-Replaced 4000mah 3S with 3x 2200mah 3S in parallel
-Added pan to camera

~1750 grams AUW

Awesome what sort of flight time are you getting with that?

I'm thinking of trying to build a quad as my first rc plane. I'm in London so there's not much space for loving around with a plane and I think quads are pretty baller too in addition to being much easier to play with in the garden. Is it worth trying to do it with a cheaper board to start with? Or am I going to end up with one of those autopilot boards anyway so may as well wait a little longer and get one of those?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Dunno about flight times, haven't flown it in this config yet. I'm hoping upwards of 30 mins of sport flying and much more at an efficient cruise.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is it worth trying to do it with a cheaper board to start with?

It is. You can get a KKboard for less than $20 now. The full authority autopilots are nice and all but for regular sport flying you shouldn't need one.

I also would not recommend a multicopter as your first foray into R/C flying. At least get a small helicopter to get the hang of it before you start flying something large and covered in spinning blades.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

helno posted:

It is. You can get a KKboard for less than $20 now. The full authority autopilots are nice and all but for regular sport flying you shouldn't need one.

I also would not recommend a multicopter as your first foray into R/C flying. At least get a small helicopter to get the hang of it before you start flying something large and covered in spinning blades.

Yeah, you have to be able to understand how to fly a 4-channel helicopter while it's nose-in and tail-in before getting into multirotor heli's because it's not like flying first person, and helicopters continue flying in their direction of momentum even after you level off or turn.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

For some reason I thought multi's were easier to fly as they were more inherently stable whereas heli's involved frequent trips into the ground at high speed otherwise what was the point in them?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Collective-pitch 3d copters are less stable because unless you get something like a flybarless stabilization system they don't have anything that would resist pitch/roll rotation on its own (beyond the gyro effects of the rotor). The tail-gyro will help keep its yaw stable, but that still doesn't mean the copter won't pitch or roll off of level (from bad input, etc) and crash.

Multi-rotor projects typically have 3-axis gyros which are used to calculate the motor mix, so they will resist pitch/roll/yaw on their own without input, but if you react in the wrong direction because the copter's orientation is backwards (head-in) then you're going to crash just as easily as a CCPM single rotor heli. Fortunately for you, most multi-rotor projects are scratch build and use much cheaper easy-to-replace parts like wooden dowels for arms. If you break a dowel, it's $1. Breaking propellers can be as cheap as $1.50 each. If you break a heli blade it's $5/pair, and at the speeds a CCPM rotor spins, you'll almost always break both blades and possibly bend the main shaft.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 10, 2012

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The electronics basically make it possible for multirotors to fly. Without active stabilisation they are impossible to control.

I have flown fixed wing and helicopters for a while and I still managed to crash my tricopter due to loss of orientation the first time I flew it at night.

Once you lose your sight picture it is game over as there is no way it is going to recover unless you have one of the rather expensive full authority autopilots (that is correctly setup and tuned).

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Well drat.

Received my AXN from Hobby King last week and finally got it all put together last night, but the motor is screwed.

When I apply a bit of throttle, the motor spins but it sounds really gritty and it's not providing a constant thrust.

Have emailed HK and am awaiting a reply, but is the motor just dead, or can it be fixed?

I have taken it apart and can't see any obvious problems. No scratches or debris on the magnets.

Anyone know of a good retailer for motors in Germany / Europe?

Also, what size motor would be a suitable replacement?

(For reference I am using the pre-installed AXN motor, Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC, Spektrum AR600 and a ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C battery)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
"gritty" sounds like a bad bearing in the motor. poo poo happens. Hobbyking should replace it for you, but if you want to skip that wait, here's the hobbyking link to the stock motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18198

For alternatives you want to find a 28-11 to 28-14 motor (28mm diameter x 11-14mm long stator) that's got at least 2100Kv and runs at 3S (11.1v). I don't know of any specific places to buy locally in Germany (durr) but I'm sure that you can find answers at an RC-specifc forum like rcgroups.com or rcuniverse.com

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

helno posted:

Is there any reason other than increased difficulty to not start with a quad that has shrouded propellers (is that what they are called?) so that when you inevitably crash you probably won't break any props?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Shrouds around the props may add weight that makes it harder to fly and may not even protect the propellers. That's not to say that you shouldn't TRY it. Go right ahead. I've seen people make shrouds out of blue-core housing insulation foam by cutting circles out for each prop. I've also seen extended arms and boxed-in-copter designs where they just extended the "frame" way beyond the reach of the propellers.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Thanks for all the info people. Will wait a little longer for a quad then.