Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arpeggio
Aug 20, 2003
"And if you must go to work tomorrow; well, if I were you, I wouldn't bother."
I'm playing a level 29 Monk, which I started back when EQ still had corpse-runs, so that I could use Feign Death and avoid all of the old-school EQ death-penalty headaches. But now that corpse-runs have been removed, my Monk seems kind of lame and a bit boring to play. However, I am very stubborn, and I refuse to abandon him. So, what can I do to make my Monk more fun to play? Is there even any benefit to playing a Monk anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

monks are a lot of fun and with the disciplines and aas they are a very active class now as opposed to old eq when all you had was flying kick and mend. Also a very solid tanky dps class.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Posting for invite

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Have Some Flowers! posted:

On my 65 monk, I pop Lesson then pull between 6 and 8 mobs and Riposte Disc / AOE them down.

Then I log out. Disciplines and AA abilities refresh while you're logged out, but Lesson does not wear out.

It lets me get about 22-25 AA's per Lesson and I only wind up playing about 40 minutes of actual time (when you factor in the logging in and logging out).

The downside is that I'll have to level up soon since I don't have many other good spots to put his points :(

You'll be happy to hear that at lvl 80, you'll be a GOD in Infected Paw, after getting as much HoT lvl 80 gear as you can. I would literally pull half the zone and whirlwind/destructive force them down, netting up to 13AA in a single pull (with lesson and double xp). I would use mend, and the Delay Death disc to keep my health up. It kicked rear end and was a ton of fun. :) Granted, you can't have double xp all the time, but you can do the lesson camping trick and get around 5 pulls total. Grind as many AA here as you can stand.

Arpeggio posted:

I'm playing a level 29 Monk, which I started back when EQ still had corpse-runs, so that I could use Feign Death and avoid all of the old-school EQ death-penalty headaches. But now that corpse-runs have been removed, my Monk seems kind of lame and a bit boring to play. However, I am very stubborn, and I refuse to abandon him. So, what can I do to make my Monk more fun to play? Is there even any benefit to playing a Monk anymore?

Level up. It'll take quite a while, but as written in my OP, it begins to pick up in your 60s, where you start getting more and more abilities. They are a ton of fun at higher levels, imo.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

quote:

Response TSR Ian C. via Email 03/23/2012 10:53 AM
Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. I’ll be happy to assist you with any questions you had regarding your issue. Unfortunately the C-50 processor is still unsupported and I do not have any information regarding the future compatibility of that specific processor. While this issue is currently being investigated, I do not have anything new to report

:gonk:

Well at least I got an official response. The thread in the support forums has been void of devs for over six months.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Can I get an invite to the guild on my beastlord? Name's Chen and I'm sitting in the Guild lobby.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am unable to connect to the login servers. I was able to download the client but cannot log in to play. I have a feeling that the fact I get my internet from my roommate's router is responsible, but any advice would be appreciated.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
To monks riposte grinding with Whirlwind + Destructive Force, use Speed Focus with DF rather than Innerflame. It's far, far more damage :)

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Yet another monk question: I added up the ranks of hastened mend and got 30 seconds with it maxed. Is that correct? That seems insanely good. If thats the case what level do you need to max it? And does it still restore the same % when you have 60k+ hp?

If I feel like playing I'll probably use my monk on Luclin.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Any further thoughts on where I should level with a 65 Wizard + Merc ? I tried the hotzone for this level and got stomped on very quickly. My warrior merc soon died. Perhaps I should be kiting ? That said, if the mobs summon I'm dead.

This was Sunderock Springs...

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Mewcenary posted:

Any further thoughts on where I should level with a 65 Wizard + Merc ? I tried the hotzone for this level and got stomped on very quickly. My warrior merc soon died. Perhaps I should be kiting ? That said, if the mobs summon I'm dead.

Get the hell away from that lovely zone! Seriously, check out BOT. If you could duo at least with another person the tank/cleric merc combo would work well.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the tip. No solo options nowadays? I remember BOT as PoP was pretty much the last expansion before I unsubscribed before.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
While I'm sure there's stuff that's soloable, the speed that comes from having cleric/merc is really big.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I have a 44 or so cleric kicking about on another account. Might spend some time levelling up then for fun. Presume cleric + warrior merc and go to town !

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Mewcenary posted:

The things I remember kiting in that level range were: Plane of storms frogs and DoN 6.9. I don't know how well they've held up now, unfortunately. Stay the hell away from sunderrock though, awful hotzone.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So um, what do people use in place of SoW potions these days?

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

So um, what do people use in place of SoW potions these days?

Everyone made bards and shaman. Failing that, I think (almost?) everybody has a claimable mount in their /claim window, so SoW typically isn't a huge deal. In the 50's everyone can buy Innate Run Speed AA's, and that mitigates the problem even further.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Look at the revamped tutorial. I got a clicky run buff item. Lasts 4 mins

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Plane of fire is decent/good kiting depending on gear. Tables being best and graveyard if rest is camped

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone know how high of a level a ranger or monk could serve as a tank for a group? The entire group would be starting at level 1, and there would be a full group so no room for mercs.

I remember the ranger having decent agro management, but not sure about the monk.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I play as a ranger on fippy and I can tank andcontrol aggro pretty good in group settings including elemental planes and hard ldons. I am in the top guild and one of the best geared rangers on thatserver though. But I imagine with bazaar gear/defiant you can aquire on live still would be a decent option for a while..

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
With the type of gear now, rangers could pretty easily tank until the...80s?

I tanked BoT as a ranger with like 4.5k hp during PoP spamming Flame Lick, I'm sure having gear with two billion hp per piece would be fine. As long as the mob is slowed you should have zero issues.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bahanahab posted:

Anyone know how high of a level a ranger or monk could serve as a tank for a group? The entire group would be starting at level 1, and there would be a full group so no room for mercs.

I remember the ranger having decent agro management, but not sure about the monk.

I've had rangers tank in our HoT exp groups while it was current, but they were in full raid gear and still mana sponges compared to a knight/war. Monks do better at tanking, but don't really have aggro management. You can overgear for content pretty easily up till the late 70s or so. By mid 80s you'll probably need to use a merc tank if you're not slumming hard.

Jotto posted:

Plane of fire is decent/good kiting depending on gear. Tables being best and graveyard if rest is camped

Quad kiting tables is really lovely exp now. And the whole area is probably being killed by 1 sk or ranger.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Erz posted:

Yet another monk question: I added up the ranks of hastened mend and got 30 seconds with it maxed. Is that correct? That seems insanely good. If thats the case what level do you need to max it? And does it still restore the same % when you have 60k+ hp?

If I feel like playing I'll probably use my monk on Luclin.

30 secs at lvl 90 is correct, and yeah, it owns. A new mend is just always around the corner. It still scales (including any temporary HP buffs such as the epic clicky), and crits around 95% of the time, so you're looking at a 30k heal with 60k HP. It rocks. :)

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I can tank in VoA content as a 95 ranger with mostly topped out group gear and every possible AA, but I'm still something of a mana sponge.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Was in Veksar fine a few days ago, now when zoning into Veksar, I got kicked to the log-in screen. Now whenever I try to log back in, I get to the character select screen, hit enter world, then it kicks me back to the log-in screen. Trying to log back in immediately gives a "character in the world" error.

I looked in my logs folder, and the only relevant thing I found was a "Sky.txt" which contained:

2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-shiningcity]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-underquarry]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-windsong]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-arelis]

Bleh. Anyone seen this before? Have any ideas / suggestions? I used the "in game support ticket" thing on their website.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Was in Veksar fine a few days ago, now when zoning into Veksar, I got kicked to the log-in screen. Now whenever I try to log back in, I get to the character select screen, hit enter world, then it kicks me back to the log-in screen. Trying to log back in immediately gives a "character in the world" error.

I looked in my logs folder, and the only relevant thing I found was a "Sky.txt" which contained:

2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-shiningcity]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-underquarry]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-windsong]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-arelis]

Bleh. Anyone seen this before? Have any ideas / suggestions? I used the "in game support ticket" thing on their website.

I have those sky errors too in my log, but no problems.

Try opening the Launcher, click the gear icon, then click Validate Game Assets. Worst case, reinstall and fully re-patch.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Worst case is you wait 6 hours and then hit the return home button at character select. Or if you have someone you trust with your info, have them move you to another zone.

I had something similar happen with an instance and was able to get one character in to kill the dz before crashing, so they both got booted out to pok next time I tried to log in.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
FINALLY got my Berserker moved over to Luclin!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I ran the check, no issues.

A GM moved my toon, I was surprised at how quick they did it. Of course I immediately went there and tried it again, and got stuck again. So I updated my support ticket.

I guess I need to file a ticket to their technical support team to find out why I can't zone in. Hopefully the GM moves me quickly again.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Both rangers and monks can tank current content with current gear, but they're both huge sponges compared to a real tank. My monk and SK are both exactly the same gear and both max defensive AA and the difference is sick, though the monk makes a fantastic tank in a pinch. Mend and Impen mean you can tank a mob until you burn it down no issue. For regular grinding though, you'll want a real tank class or a tank merc

^^^ Sounds like your zone file is corrupt, not character stuck. Delete it in the EQ folder and repatch and try that

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 25, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
From GM:

"It does look as though Veksar is down on Luclin, so I would recommend not going to that zone until this has been addressed."

So yeah. Noone go into Veksar, hah.

Stack of Scabs
Jan 20, 2006

i got 25 niggas runnin up on yall
Anyone play on Bristlebane?

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Anyone who plays a mage know of a good/decent leveling route from the late 50's and up? I decided to 3 box 3 mages for fun but pulling/snaring seem to be at a little of a loss. I'm using a tank and 2 healer mages plus 3 air pets. thanks!

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Cynode posted:

Anyone who plays a mage know of a good/decent leveling route from the late 50's and up? I decided to 3 box 3 mages for fun but pulling/snaring seem to be at a little of a loss. I'm using a tank and 2 healer mages plus 3 air pets. thanks!

50-60 - PoD / PoI / Blackfeather Roost
60-65 - BoT
65 (grind AA) - BoT
65-70 - C1 PoF
70 (grind AA) - PoF C1/C2
70-75 - C2 PoF
75 (grind AA) - PoF C2

Alternates. The Hole / Infected Paw / Various other zones.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

How long are the Fabled mobs going to be around?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Carl Seitan posted:

How long are the Fabled mobs going to be around?

And on that note, is the mob that drops fabled jboots active in najena this go around?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Does anyone by chance know a good AA guide for necros? I searched around but couldn't find anything... I'm also not sure how old something can be and still be relevant.

In the same vein, should every class get innate run speed 5 as their first AAs?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Cervixalot posted:

And on that note, is the mob that drops fabled jboots active in najena this go around?

Yes but fabled Jboots are pretty pointless.

Vomik posted:

In the same vein, should every class get innate run speed 5 as their first AAs?

Innate run5 is the best AAs you will spend, get it first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fabled until April 16, all fabled are in including jboots though fabled Jboots are pretty useless these days.

Leveling guide is accurate only use Griegs End instead of PoDisease (worst zone in the game)