Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swagger like us posted:

That being said, in a situation where either an untrained (or a non-competitive/"alive training" sport/martial art) versus someone does train "alive", has to be involved in an altercation that superseded any awareness or whatever, and EVEN with throwing in a knife, the trained guy is gonna come out more unscathed then the untrained one.

Then why did Blagoi Ivanov get stabbed and almost die? What about that goon's friend who died getting in a fight? Weapons have a tendency to change things around.

Although to be fair, I guess being a violent career criminal is training in it's own kind of way.....

I'm not disagreeing on your point about LARP training compared to people who actually TRAIN.

Yuns posted:

Even a gun is not a panacea. Of American cases of cops shot to death where the origin of the gun was known, 10% of them were killed by their own guns. Honestly, as a former competitive shooter and CCW holder when I lived in another state, I'd have to say that a lot of gun owners are better at shooting skittles carrying teenagers than they would be against an actual aggressor.

(1) I'm not saying a gun in a panacea, quite the contrary. If you are going to concealed carry, you should go do combat sports and know how to strike and grapple and adapt it to using your weapon and what makes sense.

(2) If you're going to do combat sports for self defense, then there is no reason to be unarmed as well. Unless you're legally not allowed to be.

In the case of cops being killed by their own guns, from what I've read that tends to be more a case of (1). Some districts only have to do a requirement to do a couple of hours of defensive tactics training, per year. It is due to a lack of having grappling/striking skills.

The entire point I AM making with armaments is that weapons are an equalizer. If you are armed and can stay armed, you have the advantage. (Unless you're unwilling or unable to use the weapon.) If you are not armed and you and are against someone who is, you are at a disadvantage.

**Edit
We could probably argue/agree on this all day and get nowhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good single weave Judo or BJJ gis? Summer is coming and I'm tired of my washing machine going whirr-whirr-whirr-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swagger like us posted:

This is true but is it worth it for you to find out the other 10%? Over what? Ego?

Obviously if you're in a self defense (or defending others that you care for) then its worth it, but people need to have a good awareness about the dangers of doing a double leg and then some body of his soccer kicking you, or him stabbing you.

By using your common sense and living in a civilized 1st world country without archaic gun laws, it's pretty easy to avoid the other 10%. The chance of you underestimating a situation and getting hurt is far lower than the chance of others getting hurt because of you running from all altercations despite being a capable fighter.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Senor P. posted:

(2) If you're going to do combat sports for self defense, then there is no reason to be unarmed as well. Unless you're legally not allowed to be.

No reason? I absolutely do not think that it's a given that you should necessarily have to be willing to carry a tool meant to kill someone just because you're interested in maintaining your own safety. From a European standpoint a statement like that looks absolutely insane!

Senor P. posted:

Then why did Blagoi Ivanov get stabbed and almost die? What about that goon's friend who died getting in a fight? Weapons have a tendency to change things around.
Sometimes poo poo happens. That it went the way it did those times does not make it the rule or even say anything about the likelyhood of future outcomes.
There's probably something to be said for statistics and a lack of actual data on people who do combat sport's ability to defend themselves compared to someone who do no combat sports (or other relevant experience*). But, if put in the same situation, I'm sure the outcome of Blagoi Ivanov's incident and the other event you refer to would be outliers compared to how someone with no training would fare. If someone has a concealed knife and they're insane enough to be willing to use it, you're probably gonna get cut whether you go in with windmill punches like a layman or a double leg takedown.

As for the matter of Ryan Hall standing up when the guy approaches him, someone mentioned this previously when it was brought up, but I'm going to repeat it anyway; If Ryan Hall had decided to stand up as soon as the guy approached him (which would be a split second decision that I imagine has less to do with your combat sports background that it does with your temperament), that would have immediately have escalated the situation. The likelihood of the situation coming to blows would have increased tenfold if he had stood up as the guy approached him- and when it had already happened, the other guy would probably be even more provoked if Ryan decided to stand up, and that brings me to my next point;

All the Armchair-generaling of Ryan Hall's response to the situation I see around the net is really, really dumb. Unless you're the worst kind of hyper paranoid Krav Maga practitioner with crazy eyes and concealed carry that involve both a firearm and a loving combat knife in your wallet (and even then) you're not going to immediately and at every juncture make the most efficient choice as for how the fight goes.

Edit: As for martial arts when it comes to firearms, here's another example that fits your argument ; http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-sports/jiu-jitsu-coach-killed-in-rio/

I think we have two fundamentally different approaches to self defense. In my current situation and surroundings, the chance of me getting into a fight that involves weapons is smaller than my chance of getting run over or killed in an avalanche. (Six the last two weeks! Almost a new record!) If you're living in the Favela, however, there's probably a good chance that an escalated situation involves weapons.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 24, 2012

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

If memory serves right, Blagoi's incident involved an ambush 8 on 2. Don't think that's the best example.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I said it in the grappling thread and I'll say it here, I wish there was a website specifically for teaching combat athletes self defense principles. I liked the article dissecting the video and would now opt for knee ride over mount in a self defense scenario, for example.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'd have given the guy a cigarette and then we wouldn't be discussing this

Illegal Username, good stuff on the draw, I fell asleep and didn't actually watch (It was at like 0500 here)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I said it in the grappling thread and I'll say it here, I wish there was a website specifically for teaching combat athletes self defense principles. I liked the article dissecting the video and would now opt for knee ride over mount in a self defense scenario, for example.

It's pretty funny, but that's the exact same thing my traditional jujitsu instructor's sensei would say. You can tell it comes from a practical standpoint, but his example before telling you that this would allow you to see and react to opponents around you while controlling the person on the ground, is to show you how it allows you to freely fire your bow..

It's kind of bizarre considering how outdated it is, but it still makes perfect sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Freudian slippers posted:

If memory serves right, Blagoi's incident involved an ambush 8 on 2. Don't think that's the best example.

What was the scoop on that? The only thing I'd heard was that the wound was under the armpit into the lung. That's not show violence -- that's someone who knows how to effectively use a knife to kill.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PelirrojoLoco posted:

So I fought for the first time last week, and despite losing I felt it was a pretty good experience; I think it could have gone either way. Any tips or criticisms would be appreciated- keep in mind I've got about 11 months experience or so at this point. Also, I wrote a bit of a summary on the youtube description of how I thought the fight went for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjsbcHbGGE&feature=youtu.be

What ruleset was it? 1 round fight?
What was the ref's instruction to you half way in?

My immediate reaction is two points:
- you need to keep your feet under you. You don't set a good base and do a lot of walking / crossing up of the feet.
- even though it's very short, I think you're still being too frantic. Your opponent is closing the distance and offering plenty of opportunities. Pick your shots and really commit to them. When he was covering up, instead of swarming him with arm punches, shorten the combo and end with a heavy leg kick.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good single weave Judo or BJJ gis? Summer is coming and I'm tired of my washing machine going whirr-whirr-whirr-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM

Just got to roll for the first time in this today and loved it: http://www.livelovefight.com/vital.php

So much lighter than my old gi.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

PelirrojoLoco posted:

So I fought for the first time last week, and despite losing I felt it was a pretty good experience; I think it could have gone either way. Any tips or criticisms would be appreciated- keep in mind I've got about 11 months experience or so at this point. Also, I wrote a bit of a summary on the youtube description of how I thought the fight went for me.

that's some pace

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Senor P. posted:

Most definitely, but when weapons are introduced, those with actual training will always trump those without when facing a weapon (two scenarios, one guy who doesnt train alive, and one who does, against a guy with a weapon. Im merely saying the guy with the training has a better chance of coming out alive). Does that mean those who train are thereby invincible? Hell no, but they certainly got a better chance then some kung fu wing chunner.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

PelirrojoLoco posted:

You seem to have gotten passed over in the Ryan Hall discussion, but I'm going to address this. Hopefully you'll pick up some things.

1. You are wayyy wayyy wayyyy too flighty. You need to stalk your opponents, not flit around them like a butterfly. Dodge only when you need to, not randomly. And when you dodge, you need to sidestep and plant so you can immediately counter, not spring around like a jackrabbit. People do that in order to showboat. Also, you're circling in the wrong direction, you want to circle outside his jab.

2. Keep in mind you get points for center control and ring control, and if your opponent keeps pushing you to the edge, he's going to look stronger and more confident, like he's dominating the fight

3. I was actually surprised at how good your footwork and base is. I don't know why kimbo says you're walking, because you only do it like once or twice and never in a situation where you got punished for it, so whatever. You only switch for left kicks and then you're right back to fight position, which is pretty admirable. What you need to learn, however, is to plant for each one of your strikes. Sort of sit down on them so that you can put your whole body weight into the strikes, and throw super stiff punches. Your opponent fought smarter and picked his shots because he wasn't afraid of your shots because your attacks were all probably super light, without weight behind them.

4. You need to pick shots, and use shorter combos. Throwing out a flurry of punches will make you look like a prissy girl and you don't get points for that. You need to throw bombs that make the opponent stagger and then end it with a super heavy kick. 1-3 hits, kick, start over. 1-4 hits, kick, start over. No flurries.

5. Your defense needs to be like a tank, you keep swaying your head. Just take the punches, march forward, and roll over him. Even if he misses, if you keep swaying your head, it allows him to control the ring. How many counters are you able to get off with this defense? None in that video. Either dodge properly, or just block and counter. Your opponent looked better because he didn't move backwards, just blocked and threw.

Also get a better corner because he threw in the towel wayyyy too early (I assume that's what that white thing was), you could have just taken a deep breath, settled down a bit, and fought back. You could have beaten that guy once you calmed down. Unless your corner knew your personality better. Maybe he did.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
was this under light-contact rules or something, because I didn't see either of you throw a strike with authority and there was no ring

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Reading the last page, I came to this conclusion: train in NOTHING is worse than training in SOMETHING.

All this stuff about self-defense, look, someone who has never trained in anything is going to get a terrifyingly nasty wake up call doing anything, at all, with someone who has trained in anything at all.

This is as simple as that. End. Finished. (True.)

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ligur posted:

Reading the last page, I came to this conclusion: train in NOTHING is worse than training in SOMETHING.

All this stuff about self-defense, look, someone who has never trained in anything is going to get a terrifyingly nasty wake up call doing anything, at all, with someone who has trained in anything at all.

This is as simple as that. End. Finished. (True.)

a) "Training" needs to include some form of serious full-resistance sparring, which a lot of traditional martial arts do not, or none of these arguments apply.

b) Hall was talking about himself and Manny Pacquiao. It's not exactly clear how much training is required before what you said becomes true, but it's probably on the order of years. Worth mentioning.

c) Blah blah multiple attackers blah blah knives and guns blah blah.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 24, 2012

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
Thanks for the tips Kimbo and Guilty!

Yeah it was actually a one round 90 second fight, and the ref told us beforehand that it was all about number of landed hits that will win the fight. The judges were using counters to keep track. The whole judging was actually a bit of a joke- I couldn't believe they wanted us to go for quantity over quality. The towel was just to say the fight was over, it wasn't my corner throwing it in. And when the ref stopped us it was to tell us to slow it down and go easier, which pissed me off as I felt it totally killed my momentum and was unnecessary.

I definitely felt like I was going a little frantic, I wanted to be more technical and pick my shots and all that but once the fight started all that went out the window. With such a short amount of time to work with I really felt pressured to throw as much as I could.

I'm fighting again in June I think and that should be better- controlled muaythai this time so clinching and knees to the body are allowed, and it'll be 2 90 second rounds so I can work my technique a little better.

Edit: Paul, yeah, light contact. Lame.

PelirrojoLoco fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 24, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think there's much room for criticism at all except for taking part under a ruleset that encourages 90 second spazfests to begin with. I guess there's some merit in learning to compete in front of a crowd, but you should stay mindful about picking up bad habits that will hurt you when transitioning to full contact fighting.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Those rules sound like AIBA and point karate had a flipperbaby. What was the sanctioning organization?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't that pretty much a really fastpaced sparring session, what with the shinpads and headgear and all

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm thinking of starting some form of martial arts to my routine 2-3 times a week for fitness and fun. Right now I'm leaning towards BJJ and judo but muay thai looks interesting too.

Was wondering if anyone trains in the Knoxville, TN area or has recommendations? Otherwise https://www.wolfclancsinc.com/home seems like it might be worth checking out, also https://knoxvillemartialartsacademy.com.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 25, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Unfortunately I don't know of any.

I contacted the author of the write up, basically asking your question. You can see his response on the website.

Browsing the author's website I came to a link to this place which has some decent stuff. (You will have to register to view it.)

This video briefly gets into why staying a clinch or collar tie position is unwise. Specifically it is at 6:30, but the whole thing is a good watch.

swagger like us posted:

Most definitely, but when weapons are introduced, those with actual training will always trump those without when facing a weapon (two scenarios, one guy who doesnt train alive, and one who does, against a guy with a weapon. Im merely saying the guy with the training has a better chance of coming out alive). Does that mean those who train are thereby invincible? Hell no, but they certainly got a better chance then some kung fu wing chunner.

Sorry, when I first read what you previously posted, I was thinking of a situation where it is person A (trained, and unarmed) vs. person B (untrained but armed.)

Of course having more training and conditioning is important. I'll agree with you there.

Bohemian Nights posted:

No reason? I absolutely do not think that it's a given that you should necessarily have to be willing to carry a tool meant to kill someone just because you're interested in maintaining your own safety. From a European standpoint a statement like that looks absolutely insane!

I think we disagree. While I can understand if someone is just interested in maintaining their personal safety, maybe they start taking small steps. Enroll at the local community center for Judo lessons. But if you want to go the full gauntlet, then firearms/weapons training in addition to striking/grappling skills is necessary.

Bohemian Nights posted:

As for the matter of Ryan Hall standing up when the guy approaches him, someone mentioned this previously when it was brought up, but I'm going to repeat it anyway; If Ryan Hall had decided to stand up as soon as the guy approached him (which would be a split second decision that I imagine has less to do with your combat sports background that it does with your temperament), that would have immediately have escalated the situation.
Except you know, the situation was already pretty escalated. So it more or less comes down to (stand up, possibly escalate the situation a little bit more but put himself in a safer position in the process as well as having more options of control, or staying seated and doing what he did.

Honestly I think slowly standing up, putting up your hands calmly in a defensive manner and saying "Hey I'm X, did one of my friends piss you off? What's up?" Would work pretty drat well.

Personally, I would take my chances with standing up. I've dealt with people looming over me with questionable motives, and it's not fun thinking "Well poo poo this guy can just whale away on me from there."

Bohemian Nights posted:

you're not going to immediately and at every juncture make the most efficient choice as for how the fight goes.
Which is why most people tend to REVIEW videos of themselves that they've posted. To figure out what they have done wrong.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I think we have two fundamentally different approaches to self defense. In my current situation and surroundings, the chance of me getting into a fight that involves weapons is smaller than my chance of getting run over or killed in an avalanche. (Six the last two weeks! Almost a new record!) If you're living in the Favela, however, there's probably a good chance that an escalated situation involves weapons.
Agreed, my chances are probably lower than yours. But I feel it is important to train with these things in mind.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 25, 2012

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Senor P. posted:

This video briefly gets into why staying a clinch or collar tie position is unwise. Specifically it is at 6:30, but the whole thing is a good watch.

Fixed for you and the lazy bastards who'd complain. (PS, you missed a closing brace for the first url tag.)

For the strikers/pugilists out there, I have a simple question, what's a counter-punch/kick (maybe)?

In fencing, we have two different, but similar, things that we call counter attacks. One, is a reactionary attack made into your opponent valid attack, with the hopes of catching them before they are able to complete or catching them by forcing them to react, themselves. The trick here comes from the timing of the machine, which is different for each weapon and can be hard to understand. The other, is an attack made by the defender only once the initial attack fails completely (generally through distance but also through simple displacement of target/body).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guilty posted:

3. I was actually surprised at how good your footwork and base is. I don't know why kimbo says you're walking, because you only do it like once or twice and never in a situation where you got punished for it, so whatever.

Yes, I agree that his opponent didn't really capitalize. But his footwork was not great. The sequence starting here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjsbcHbGGE#t=16s
shows having too narrow a stance coming back from strikes and walking without really coordinating with the hands. The best thing is how much lateral movement you're showing. Never abandon that. In fact, if you get in trouble, do more of that. That's certainly a huge plus.

PelirrojoLoco posted:

Yeah it was actually a one round 90 second fight, and the ref told us beforehand that it was all about number of landed hits that will win the fight.
So what was the ruleset again? No knees and elbows, I presume. But clinches? Throws?

quote:

controlled muaythai this time so clinching and knees to the body are allowed, and it'll be 2 90 second rounds so I can work my technique a little better.

That sucks. A single 3-min round would be so much more meaningful than 2 90s rounds. If it's gonna be the same level of competitors, I would focus on inside leg kicks as they charge in or slipping and throwing a heavy cross to the head or body. The guy you fought on video would not have figured those two tricks in just over a minute of action.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BirdOfPlay posted:

1. made into your opponent valid attack, with the hopes of catching them before they are able to complete or catching them by forcing them to react.

2. The other, is an attack made by the defender only once the initial attack fails completely (A. generally through distance but also B. through simple displacement of target/body).

I'd say 1 and 2B are extremes of a continuum. Let's say I'm in mirror stance with my opponent. If I'm positive he's throwing a jab, I can put my jab out a little high and ramp his jab down while pushing mine through to his head. That's simulatenous. Or if I react late, I can still parry his jab and then take advantage of his having to waste energy recovering his punch and then launch the counter jab. If I step a bit to the outside, that's a bit of extra displacement.

2A: I would not generally consider recognizing the opponent's attack and pulling out of range (or totally jamming him) and then attacking back a counter. This is assuming that his failed attack doesn't significantly throw his stability off. This might be because weapon attacks can be much faster and cover more ground, so that what I consider "at distance" is different to what a fencer might.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

PelirrojoLoco posted:

Shame this was buried under! You had a nice pace. Also it's Sunday and why not spare a moment to type stuff!

1. I WUB your footwork and base like Guilty said it's a good one, surprisingly so because I remember you haven't been doing this for that long. You get out of balance when you kick with your power leg (well... most of us do) but get back into position quickly. Hold on to that. Just keep your hands up and return faster after that right leg.

2. I'm going all semi-contact here, but it's nice to throw those long combinations. PLEASE don't get into bad habits because of semi-contact (Paul Pot is right), that poo poo won't work when you are fighting 105% full contact but on the other hand if you teach yourself to throw 8 strike combinations when sparring or going light - but still in a situation to get countered - it will eventually enable you to throw those 3 strike combinations under terrible pressure, and those you need to win a full contact fight.

3. So unlike some of the guys - I might be wrong but this is just what I think - I'd encourage doing those long strike combinations when you are NOT looking to or going to get KO'd. It will make you better, when the time comes.

4. That teep was terrific. So was the sidestep to your left and the low kick. Really well done, something a drunk sailor foot fighter can respect.

4. Posture. You still have the, albeit slight, habit of leaning backwards on occasion - and it's warranted on occasion but not that often. Keep your jaw tucked, guard up and lean forwards in an aggressive manner all the time, not just 90% of the time. He tries to punch you and you dodge back? BS, he tries to punch you and you dodge IN so you can punish him for trying to punch you. He throws one, you lean in and throw TWO. Even if you eat that one. You give him two. That fucker. He might be the nicest guy but for those 90 seconds or 2 x 3 minutes you hate him. This goes both semi- and full-contact.

5. I understand that in semi-contact you simply cannot throw with the same authority you could in a full contact fight. But I claim most of the same rules still apply. There's two sides in it, on the other hand semi-contact you won't get KO'd (most of the time) when you make mistakes, you still get hit, and you might learn stuff that would kill you because of that. On the other-other hand, you learn to hit your target and avoid getting hit at which is a good skill to learn while still understanding and respecting the damage that could occur, and probably without injuries too.

6. For MT your defense probably has to be like a tank, for a lot of other sports, probably not. From the POV of a Savate-guy the more you move and flutter, dodge and disappear when struck - the better. As long as you dodge inside, not outside. Even blocking strikes is going to hurt a lot (how many TKO's we've seen that start from a hard strike that stuns the person blocking it?), so if you can dodge the strike, dodge it - as long as you can punish your attacker. Otherwise it's just running away. But if you have two options, dodge or block, pick dodge.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I could read kick/boxing advice all day long.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

BirdOfPlay posted:

For the strikers/pugilists out there, I have a simple question, what's a counter-punch/kick (maybe)?

When someone throws a punch (or kick) they leave themselves open. Striking at that opening before they can return to their guard position would be considered a counter. For example, weaving under a right straight and countering with a left hook, or parrying a jab and countering with a jab before they can bring their hand back.

It's better if you can use their momentum against them though. Instead of parrying the jab and countering a moment after, you can slip outside the jab and throw yours at the same time as his. It's a little harder to time it, but if your opponent has a stiff jab, he's going to be stepping hard into your counter.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Ligur posted:

5. I understand that in semi-contact you simply cannot throw with the same authority you could in a full contact fight. But I claim most of the same rules still apply. There's two sides in it, on the other hand semi-contact you won't get KO'd (most of the time) when you make mistakes, you still get hit, and you might learn stuff that would kill you because of that. On the other-other hand, you learn to hit your target and avoid getting hit at which is a good skill to learn while still understanding and respecting the damage that could occur, and probably without injuries too.

In my personal opinion, it's even more important to land authoritative strikes under that strict rule set in order to set the intonation for the fight.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Ya that would cover it. I do bjj for fun and exercise, live in a first world country and stay out of bad spots whenever possible. So far so good.

Yeah I agree, I think martial arts for self-defense is pretty dumb considering most of the time "on the street" there are things like guns, friends jumping in, and assault charges.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

kimbo305 posted:

So what was the ruleset again? No knees and elbows, I presume. But clinches? Throws?

Well, it was called "Continuous Sparring (WKC rules)", and though I've never been to or watched this kind of stuff before I assume it's basic semi contact kickboxing rules.

We were told no kicking below the knee, no elbows, knees, spinning backfist, throwing or clinching, no catching incoming kicks or otherwise holding onto your opponent. Kicks to the leg are only counted if the opponents leg is posted on the ground and he's not defending. Fight is scored by number of hits landed, which was counted by a judge on each corner of the mat (though my fight had only 3 judges rather than 4). One 90 second round obviously. The ref actually said to us that if someone was rocked or stunned that would mean we were hitting too hard and could possibly be disqualified.

I was pretty shocked by how unprofessional the whole thing was; I was under the impression that the Tiger Balm Internationals had been around for a long time, it is an international event, sanctioned by Wushu BC, NMAC, World Organization of Martial Arts Athletes, ICMAC Worldwide Ciruit, and the World Karate Council.

But day 1 was supposed to start at 9:30, and though I wasn't there I heard it didn't get going until 11:30. The judging for my division was terrible- one judge was constantly texting or chatting with people around him and the ref kept having to tell him to pay attention or inform him which fighter was which. My fight had only 3 judges instead of 4; and basically everyone told me after the fight that they felt I had won (though I think that's debatable).

Thanks for the in depth reply Ligur!

I had to look up what a "teep" was, but thanks, we had been training that the week leading up to my fight. I've had a few people mention that was one of my strengths, so... awesome. :)

Lots of great tips. For the next tournament I plan on working a lot on my kicking, using angles more, and picking my shots/ being more calm and countering. Like I said: I felt pretty good even though I got caught up in the quick pace.

PelirrojoLoco fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 25, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PelirrojoLoco posted:

I had to look up what a "teep" was, but thanks, we had been training that the week leading up to my fight. I've had a few people mention that was one of my strengths, so... awesome. :)

If you guys are a MT gym... how were you not learning that way earlier? And what do they call it?

widunder
May 2, 2002
I had my first tournament after training for two years semi-regularly. Very happy with it, won three matches where I didn't look very good at all in retrospect (it's embarrassing watching videos of yourself) and then a powerful dude took me down and armbarred me really quickly ("sadly", believe it or not, the video of that got corrupted in my camera somehow). I especially should've been able to finish the second match. Overall the guys felt a lot less experienced but a great today so anyway, I've had a big hang up on actually competing in the past so it was really euphoric afterwards.

Videos were kind of out of focus somehow. I'm the blonde in the faded black gi.

First match

Second match

Third match

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

kimbo305 posted:

If you guys are a MT gym... how were you not learning that way earlier? And what do they call it?

We did learn it way earlier, we were just focusing on it a lot the last week before the tournament. They usually call it a push kick or front kick- I believe it's a push kick with the back leg and front kick with the front, but I'm not totally sure.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

PelirrojoLoco posted:

We did learn it way earlier, we were just focusing on it a lot the last week before the tournament. They usually call it a push kick or front kick- I believe it's a push kick with the back leg and front kick with the front, but I'm not totally sure.

If you want to do Muay Thai you need to go to a different gym. Those fight rules are loving dumb as hell, and you don't even know the word 'teep' despite training.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
I'm open to hearing criticism and will definitely consider other gyms but I'll have to finish out the next 3 months or so I've paid for and will need to decide what the right thing to do is.

Also, my gym didn't make up those fight rules. That was the Tiger Balm Internationals, as I've said. And actually, my sensei thought it was crap that they were using counters to keep track of the number of hits and told them so. After our division was finished they stopped using them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PelirrojoLoco posted:

They usually call it a push kick or front kick- I believe it's a push kick with the back leg and front kick with the front, but I'm not totally sure.

You can teep with the front or the rear leg. The emphasis of a teep is to push the opponent back or off balance, not to damage. You can land on their chest or hip. Or if you're extreme, the face or the thigh. We call a teep a push kick interchangeably at our gym, but we don't train Muay Thai.

A front kick is meant to do damage with the heel or ball of the foot. It can be pretty snappy and generally doesn't have much mass behind it.

I think I'm not as critical as the others right now, but this terminology thing, along with you calling the coach a sensei is pretty odd.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Just took gold in Advanced nogi <165 and silver in blue gi same weight. Fail at the absolute, our whole roster of guys in the absolute 170 got rolled up by the same guy who won the entire thing.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

but this terminology thing, along with you calling the coach a sensei is pretty odd.

yeah what's with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

I think we disagree. While I can understand if someone is just interested in maintaining their personal safety, maybe they start taking small steps. Enroll at the local community center for Judo lessons. But if you want to go the full gauntlet, then firearms/weapons training in addition to striking/grappling skills is necessary.

You have to remember that a lot of people on SA live in countries where guns are rare. The only guns I've ever seen have been on a cop's belt, I've never seen a gun get fired or even drawn, and I'd never seen an automatic weapon before I left Australia. I've never heard of anybody getting a concealed carry license, not even ex-military or off-duty cops. Your advice might be sound for people in the US or South Africa or similar countries where everybody is armed, but the worst that the rest of us will have to train for is knives or glass.

• Locked thread