Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I probably would have done the exchange, assuming there's no sign of liquid damage or stuff snapped off the boards inside. Did they actually open up your phone, or just say no? A small chip like that probably wouldn't have triggered a chargeback from Sprint. The problem is that if we send back a phone and Sprint determines there to be physical damage, the store gets a chargeback and depending on the store, it may come out of the technician's check, not to mention them getting written up. So people are a little paranoid about it.

I've only done that on liquid damage. And not "LDI is slightly pink" ones, they've mostly been ones with corrosion or liquid still puddled inside the phone. Shattered screens and stuff don't usually make it to a ticket, unless we're processing a claim for them.

And I know you CAN bypass the flag when it comes up, but I don't know what happens beyond that. The only time I tried, I wound up actually finding liquid damage in the phone before I could order a replacement.

Definitely agree on filing for liquid damage. You can override and still write out a ticket, but for 3rd party stores sprint would just charge us back the full vslue of the refurbished phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Not complaining, and certainly not going to dig into it any more, but curious if anyone would know why my February bill had a $11 credit on labeled "Premium Services Adjustment"?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So my gf's Evo3D fell into a puddle. The screen now flickers seemingly randomly and there's some visible corrosion in the headphone jack. We currently have it sitting in a bowl full of rice for the night. Is there anything else we could do? We don't have TEP and the phone is only ~2 months old.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Just buy the screen + digitizer off of ebay and spend 20 minutes fixing it yourself. It really isn't all that hard and screens are like 20$ off of ebay.

I'm scared that I'll screw up though :ohdear:

also I took a closer look and found a bunch of dead pixels in the bottom corner of the screen where it was dropped on so I'll need to replace the LCD screen too I think. At that point, I'd rather take the risk free method and see if I can get a replacement v:shobon:v

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm scared that I'll screw up though :ohdear:

also I took a closer look and found a bunch of dead pixels in the bottom corner of the screen where it was dropped on so I'll need to replace the LCD screen too I think. At that point, I'd rather take the risk free method and see if I can get a replacement v:shobon:v

Trust me, I have replaced both on several phones and a ipod touch, and it isn't so bad. If you don't want it though you could send it my way. :) (seriously)

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

I probably would have done the exchange, assuming there's no sign of liquid damage or stuff snapped off the boards inside. Did they actually open up your phone, or just say no? A small chip like that probably wouldn't have triggered a chargeback from Sprint. The problem is that if we send back a phone and Sprint determines there to be physical damage, the store gets a chargeback and depending on the store, it may come out of the technician's check, not to mention them getting written up. So people are a little paranoid about it.

I didn't talk to a technician, both times I talked to someone up front. I left my phone with them for an hour, came back and both stores/guys said their technicians wouldn't look at it because it has cracked housing and I have to go through Asurion.

e: From the eCare response

quote:

The repair technician in this location has documented your account to show that your devices' housing is cracking (physical damage)
Does this mean they've flagged my ESN as irreparable?

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 25, 2012

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Trust me, I have replaced both on several phones and a ipod touch, and it isn't so bad. If you don't want it though you could send it my way. :) (seriously)

It's mine!

But yeah, I looked around a bit online and it doesn't look so bad. I'll probably figure out what I need to order and do it myself or go to a repair center and see what they can do.

It does look like I can add insurance to my plan since I just switched phones, so I should be able to get a replacement that way if the repairs don't work out.

Edit: Just found out that there are some different LCD ribbon types for Evo and I can't find out which one I have without opening it up. Will it be fine for me to open up the phone with a cracked screen (as in I don't have to worry about the glass falling out)?

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 25, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

So my gf's Evo3D fell into a puddle. The screen now flickers seemingly randomly and there's some visible corrosion in the headphone jack. We currently have it sitting in a bowl full of rice for the night. Is there anything else we could do? We don't have TEP and the phone is only ~2 months old.

phoneclaim.com/sprint

The phone is dead one way or the other, water damage is bad news.

Hey, i have a phone for sale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474374&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post401893745

MrCodeDude posted:

e: From the eCare response

Does this mean they've flagged my ESN as irreparable?

Sounds like it, and that is pretty lovely. Sorry dude. Repairs are really easy, I'm not a hands on guy and I can do it.

Tomato Soup posted:

It's mine!

But yeah, I looked around a bit online and it doesn't look so bad. I'll probably figure out what I need to order and do it myself or go to a repair center and see what they can do.

It does look like I can add insurance to my plan since I just switched phones, so I should be able to get a replacement that way if the repairs don't work out.

Edit: Just found out that there are some different LCD ribbon types for Evo and I can't find out which one I have without opening it up. Will it be fine for me to open up the phone with a cracked screen (as in I don't have to worry about the glass falling out)?

Yeah, it'll stay together. To see the ribbons you just have to remove the outside screws and crack open the middle of the phone. From there you can see.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 25, 2012

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sounds like it, and that is pretty lovely. Sorry dude. Repairs are really easy, I'm not a hands on guy and I can do it.

The chip in the housing is not the problem with the phone. To be honest, I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me.

The problem is that, like all Touch Pro 2's (and the Mogul's/Touch Pro's before it), they have a terrible habit of going awry randomly.

I'm going to try to take it to a store tomorrow and point out that the "cracked housing" is the result of normal wear-and-tear and see if they'll do anything.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I asked this in the rooted android thread without luck, this may be Sprint specific so I'll ask here.

I have an Evo Shift w/ CM7 that won't send or receive MMS. I had a hardware issue a few months ago and the issue persists after a phone replacement. It does work fine if I flash back to the stock Sense ROM. I've heard that something can get wedged that Sprint needs to fix internally. Would that fit this scenario? I know two others with the same phone and ROM, both work fine.

falz fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 25, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I asked about this a few weeks ago, but just to follow up:

I'm on $40 SERO Premium. I'd like for a friend of mine to switch to Sprint, also as a SERO user. I might be buying a SERO plan from somebody, since apparently you're required to already have SERO or EPRP to get the TOL.

Can I get the SERO plan TOL'd to my account?
Would it be a second line or replace my current plan?
Assuming it's a 2nd line, how do I get my friend on it? I'm sure she'd like to port her number in from AT&T.
Finally, how do I get her line into her own account, independent of mine?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I asked about this a few weeks ago, but just to follow up:

I'm on $40 SERO Premium. I'd like for a friend of mine to switch to Sprint, also as a SERO user. I might be buying a SERO plan from somebody, since apparently you're required to already have SERO or EPRP to get the TOL.

Can I get the SERO plan TOL'd to my account?
Yes. Employee Care will be able to do it since you already have a SERO account.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Would it be a second line or replace my current plan?
It's a second line.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Assuming it's a 2nd line, how do I get my friend on it? I'm sure she'd like to port her number in from AT&T.
You'll retain the phone number that the seller currently has on the line. You may port in the AT&T number to replace this.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Finally, how do I get her line into her own account, independent of mine?
Not gonna happen.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks very much! So even if I acquire it there's no way I could somehow make it all her own? Kinda sucks, but I guess it's a good thing that I've been outbid on it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
OK, so if I'm on a SERO plan I can purchase a SERO plan on Amazon eBay and put my wife on that as opposed to her regular plan? Hell, I need to do this asap.

thisdude23 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 26, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, I was thinking I'd be SOL trying to sell my used Epic 4G, but I just checked eBay, and gently used ones with minor cosmetic wear (which I would classify mine as,) are averaging over $100, usually close to $150.

In contrast, the Evo 4G is averaging less than $100...WTF?!

I can only imagine there's a decent contingent of people who really want hardware keyboards?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

thisdude23 posted:

OK, so if I'm on a SERO plan I can purchase a SERO plan on Amazon and put my wife on that as opposed to her regular plan? Hell, I need to do this asap.

What does that even mean?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ddogflex posted:

What does that even mean?

It means I'm not paying attention as I type since I meant eBay. I was looking on Amazon for some stuff and reading this thread as well. I'm apparently not too great at multitasking. :haw:

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
SERO plans don't exist anymore, save for grandfathered people.

/\/\/\/\Ahh, not paying attention, I see

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

OK, so if I'm on a SERO plan I can purchase a SERO plan on Amazon and put my wife on that as opposed to her regular plan? Hell, I need to do this asap.

You can never buy from amazon if you are on sero or eprp. Just don't bother, not worth the risk anyway.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

You can never buy from amazon if you are on sero or eprp. Just don't bother, not worth the risk anyway.

haha, meant buying a plan from eBay for my wife, and not phones from Amazon. :smith:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Duckman2008 posted:

Do SERO plans still get upgrades at (what is it 2 year?) intervals?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Krime posted:

Do SERO plans still get upgrades at (what is it 2 year?) intervals?

Yes, I think they did away with the $75 at 12 months and set the $150 at 20 months instead of 22, but I'm on SERO and my upgrade kicks in May 1st. After using it I'll be on the 20 month interval.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I can only imagine there's a decent contingent of people who really want hardware keyboards?
Yes, and the top-notch CM9 port has really breathed new life into it. Depending on the status of ICS on the G2 (haven't really kept up), the Epic might actually be the best hardware keyboard Android device on the market right now.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thisdude23 posted:

OK, so if I'm on a SERO plan I can purchase a SERO plan on Amazon eBay and put my wife on that as opposed to her regular plan? Hell, I need to do this asap.
Hell yeah, do it!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thinking about taking duckman up on his nexus S, but would it really be worth it considering I have a 3d?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

The Entire Universe posted:

Thinking about taking duckman up on his nexus S, but would it really be worth it considering I have a 3d?

It really depends on how much you value AOSP. The E3D has superior hardware to the NS4G but you have to deal with HTC's updates and Sense. The dev community is much stronger for the Nexus since it's AOSP to begin with.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I just got a letter in the mail from Sprint, saying that changes to my account in March 2010 have resulted in my being booted from the Sprint Premier program as of April 2011. :confused:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have my mom on my familiy plan, and her line is ready for an 'upgrade' next month. Is there a way for me to get the timer on that reset right now and take advantage of the Evo3D for free on contract renewal?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Ok, so I have my phone upgrade in 5 days. For the past couple months I've been keeping up with this thread, and everyone was saying "ooh, just wait until the Galaxy Nexus comes out!" Now, a couple pages ago, a few people were talking about how Samsung hasn't really made good on software updates and the like for the Verizon version of the phone. And then there is that article saying right now is the worst time to buy blah blah blah.

I'm on SERO, and survived until a couple months ago on a TouchPro2. I bought an Evo4G from SA-Mart a couple months back and I can't believe I made myself suffer through that TouchPro2 for so long. I'm still kind of new to this phone, but I don't want to wait forever to upgrade to The New Hot poo poo (TM). Also, I don't really want an iPhone. Price isn't really a huge issue, I can do a couple hundred bucks for something nice. Tell me, oh phone gods, what do I do?!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Now, a couple pages ago, a few people were talking about how Samsung hasn't really made good on software updates and the like for the Verizon version of the phone. And then there is that article saying right now is the worst time to buy blah blah blah.
It's bunk. Yes, it's true that some Galaxy Nexus owners are disappointed at the delayed updates, particularly when they're supposed to resolve some pretty significant issues. But keep in mind that these are ICS growing-pains, and really it's on Google to fix poo poo on their end to carrier satisfaction. We expected ICS to be a difficult transition, and although the Galaxy Nexus is new hardware, we're seeing update delays on the Nexus S and NS4G too. This shouldn't really be confused with OEM update incompetence though. I imagine the OEMs are similarly hungup on Google, which is one reason why ICS updates for most third-party devices are still a ways off.

The "DON'T BUY A PHONE NOW!" article is mostly comparing current generation hardware to what's up and coming, and going on-and-on about how new phones will blow all existing phones out of the water. Except (i) that's not true (see, the Nexus S is still chugging along), and (ii) that means it's never a good time to purchase a phone.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Tell me, oh phone gods, what do I do?!
The big reason to wait until the Galaxy Nexus is that it'll be Sprint's first LTE device. Now, if you're already in a WiMAX market, there's a chance that LTE isn't an immediate interest to you, depending on how usable your WiMAX actually is and when LTE is coming. But that's what your Evo 4G is for. Also, Sprint phones have a tendency not to retain their value very well, so I imagine that when the Galaxy Nexus is released, the used market will be flooded with Evo 3Ds and E4GTs, making them good buys at that time.

However, if you're not in a WiMAX market, it really doesn't make sense to pick up a WiMAX phone today since you're not going to make significant use of it. Going LTE really makes sense since it'll come sometime in the next two years. Personally I think the Galaxy Nexus will still best out other Sprint devices in terms of update, and especially community support. Surely Sprint will announce more LTE devices around that time though, so you can see what's coming out then and what interests you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

I just got a letter in the mail from Sprint, saying that changes to my account in March 2010 have resulted in my being booted from the Sprint Premier program as of April 2011. :confused:

Yep, yearly upgrades are discontinued, they actually announced this over 6 months ago, so not sure why you are just getting the letter.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

tijag posted:

I have my mom on my familiy plan, and her line is ready for an 'upgrade' next month. Is there a way for me to get the timer on that reset right now and take advantage of the Evo3D for free on contract renewal?

Duckman, should I call someone specific to try to get my upgrade day reduced by one month? The Evo3d is free until the 31st of this month. I'd REALLY like to get on top of that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tijag posted:

Duckman, should I call someone specific to try to get my upgrade day reduced by one month? The Evo3d is free until the 31st of this month. I'd REALLY like to get on top of that.

I can bump it if its April 1st eligibility, so if its that PM me the last name and cell phone number. If its May call retentions.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I can bump it if its April 1st eligibility, so if its that PM me the last name and cell phone number. If its May call retentions.

It's April 30. I should call retentions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tijag posted:

It's April 30. I should call retentions?

Yep.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I thought upgrades were always on the first of the month.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

tijag posted:

Where is this free Evo 3D offer? It shows up as $99 on Sprint.com after $300 in savings + $150 upgrade discount.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

MrCodeDude posted:

Where is this free Evo 3D offer? It shows up as $99 on Sprint.com after $300 in savings + $150 upgrade discount.

It's only free for new lines of service.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I just found out I'm getting my upgrade april 1st, instead of in june like I thought. I live in orlando, which appears to be in the second wave of LTE rollouts, probably a good idea to wait for the galaxy nexus I'm guessing, or is there anything in a few months that will blow that out of the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ryen Deckard posted:

I just found out I'm getting my upgrade april 1st, instead of in june like I thought. I live in orlando, which appears to be in the second wave of LTE rollouts, probably a good idea to wait for the galaxy nexus I'm guessing, or is there anything in a few months that will blow that out of the water?

Wait.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought upgrades were always on the first of the month.

They are, so heck if I know on that one.