Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niven
Apr 16, 2003

echomadman posted:

Check out all the cool poo poo I have waiting to go on my DRZ.

Rim Tape, case protectors, manual CCT. cap on coil upgrade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIFwXtiYbhc)
FCR39
I need to get some bits for the FCR, throttle cables and poo poo. if anyone's done the swap already I'd appreciate any advice you care to give.

I installed my FCR last summer with essentially no mechanical experience so any mope with a few tools should be able to pull it off. A few of the lessons I took out of it:

If you don't already have it, get the extended fuel screw. And if you do get it, take note that the thread/tip isn't the same length as on the stock screw so you can't necessarily follow the "X turns" suggestion.

When putting the carb in push the boot from the airbox back and then use the frame to hold in in place while you wrestle the FCR in (pain in the rear end)

Don't be a loving dumbass like me and forget to run the vac line (I actually hooked up one of the vent lines to the nipple then wondered why it kept dying on me).

If you've got any sort of cheap throttle lock that can make it a lot easier to get the throttle cables out, zip ties can help stop the wheel from springing back when cramming your fingers in there trying to hook the cables back up.

That one looks different from mine so maybe it doesn't have the accelerator pump (MX?) but if it does, look in to the o-ring mod.

Enjoy the whistle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Niven posted:

I installed my FCR last summer with essentially no mechanical experience so any mope with a few tools should be able to pull it off. A few of the lessons I took out of it:

If you don't already have it, get the extended fuel screw. And if you do get it, take note that the thread/tip isn't the same length as on the stock screw so you can't necessarily follow the "X turns" suggestion.

When putting the carb in push the boot from the airbox back and then use the frame to hold in in place while you wrestle the FCR in (pain in the rear end)

Don't be a loving dumbass like me and forget to run the vac line (I actually hooked up one of the vent lines to the nipple then wondered why it kept dying on me).

If you've got any sort of cheap throttle lock that can make it a lot easier to get the throttle cables out, zip ties can help stop the wheel from springing back when cramming your fingers in there trying to hook the cables back up.

That one looks different from mine so maybe it doesn't have the accelerator pump (MX?) but if it does, look in to the o-ring mod.

Enjoy the whistle
yeah its an older FCR, but I was talking to the seller again and he said it was pulled from a DRZ so hopefully i wont have to do too much to it.
It has an accelerator pump but the recommended mod is slightly different from the oring mod, it involves taking a dremel to part of the pump assembly.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

mattfl posted:

I envy you. I've checked everyday on craigslist for like the past few months and I have NEVER seen a 690SMC come up anywhere in Florida. :(

Try reading the more specialized forums. They wont be as close but you'll likely see something... Supermotojunkies, ktm specific forums, maybe adv rider (probably only enduros at adv rider).

Good luck :unsmith:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, when he layer dan'd, he should have just picked it up and kept riding, right?

He was going to have to stop for gas in five minutes anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gullous posted:

Try reading the more specialized forums. They wont be as close but you'll likely see something... Supermotojunkies, ktm specific forums, maybe adv rider (probably only enduros at adv rider).

Good luck :unsmith:

Laymil grabbed his off of eBay in florida and had it shipped north to him.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Would I be foolish to look at a supermoto for my first bike?

I've seen plenty of recommendations for 250 Rebels, TU250X's, Ninjas, etc. What about a WR250X or a DRZ400SM?

I'll be riding 100% street. 90% non-freeway/about 50 mph+. I have no prior bike experience.

Opinions? I'll be honest, I don't have much experience with different kinds of bikes, etc. But as I've been doing my research I've seen a lot of positive feedback on supermotos. I like the lightweight, throw-able, hi-rev combination.

Thanks!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

28_days posted:

Would I be foolish to look at a supermoto for my first bike?

I've seen plenty of recommendations for 250 Rebels, TU250X's, Ninjas, etc. What about a WR250X or a DRZ400SM?

I'll be riding 100% street. 90% non-freeway/about 50 mph+. I have no prior bike experience.

Opinions? I'll be honest, I don't have much experience with different kinds of bikes, etc. But as I've been doing my research I've seen a lot of positive feedback on supermotos. I like the lightweight, throw-able, hi-rev combination.

Thanks!

A DRZ would be pretty good as a first bike, light, agile, likes to lay down on its side, not overpowered. Then theres a whole bunch of aftermarket when you get a couple of years experience under your belt.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
poo poo yes. I actually think sumos like the DRZ are possibly the best learner bikes.

Upright riding position, easy steering with nice wide bars, plenty of suspension travel to soak up the bumps and keep the bike composed, good brakes and they'll get right back up again when (not if) you go down.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

ReelBigLizard posted:

poo poo yes. I actually think sumos like the DRZ are possibly the best learner bikes.

Upright riding position, easy steering with nice wide bars, plenty of suspension travel to soak up the bumps and keep the bike composed, good brakes and they'll get right back up again when (not if) you go down.

This man speaks the truth. I picked the DRZ up after it went down this weekend with 1 hand. It took some major muscle to get the R1 back up. I never dropped the Honda but If I had I probably could have blown on it hard until it righted itself.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

The biggest problem will simply be finding one in my area/budget. I'd like to stay around $3000, and it appears the DRZ keeps its value.

I'm still debating on what to get for my first bike. Originally I was going to go with a Honda Rebel due to it's manageable size/price ($1500-2000). If I can't find a DRZ below $4000 it's going to be a tough call.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

28_days posted:

The biggest problem will simply be finding one in my area/budget. I'd like to stay around $3000, and it appears the DRZ keeps its value.

I'm still debating on what to get for my first bike. Originally I was going to go with a Honda Rebel due to it's manageable size/price ($1500-2000). If I can't find a DRZ below $4000 it's going to be a tough call.

You can definitely get a DRZ for under $4k, just keep an eye out. One of the goons here turned me on to this: http://www.searchtempest.com/ it is pretty drat nice. Also make sure you place a looking for ad, I got mine when somebody answered my ad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

28_days posted:

Another option if you aren't set on supermoto but like the DRZ is a dual sport. It's pretty common to see those around here for under 2k. drat things haven't changed much over their life span so one from early 2000 or so wouldn't be bad.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

You can definitely get a DRZ for under $4k, just keep an eye out. One of the goons here turned me on to this: http://www.searchtempest.com/ it is pretty drat nice. Also make sure you place a looking for ad, I got mine when somebody answered my ad.

Nice, thanks for the link!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Another option if you aren't set on supermoto but like the DRZ is a dual sport. It's pretty common to see those around here for under 2k. drat things haven't changed much over their life span so one from early 2000 or so wouldn't be bad.

I'll keep this in mind as well. There's so many potential bikes to choose from--it's a bit overwhelming. Thank you both!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

28_days posted:

Nice, thanks for the link!

I'll keep this in mind as well. There's so many potential bikes to choose from--it's a bit overwhelming. Thank you both!

Take your time if you can. Go sit on several bikes, hit up a dealer or two and try out some stuff. Don't be afraid to sit on one for 5-10 minutes.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Take your time if you can. Go sit on several bikes, hit up a dealer or two and try out some stuff. Don't be afraid to sit on one for 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the advice!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Oh poo poo yall, time to go to Tennessee

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2921909326.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Korwen posted:

Oh poo poo yall, time to go to Tennessee

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2921909326.html

I was looking at this one at work today...tempting but not in the cards for me right now. Buy it so I'm less tempted.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So just how bad good bad ridiculous an idea would this be: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Husqvarn...=item2a1b77b365

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Street or track?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Street hoonage

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not sure about there in AUS but there are definitely better and more reliable bikes to mess around on. That's gonna require pre-mix gas (unless it has some kind of oil injection - which I really don't think it would as it's identical to the dirt bike afaik). That's gonna limit you a good bit.

Looks like a stock tank - usually those are ~2gallons on motocross type bikes meaning you're probably not gonna get very far on a tank before needing to pull over and mix out a new batch of fuel.

If you had a good sumo track around it'd be really fun but it's drawbacks probably hinder it too much to really be of use for the street unless you're pretty lucky. Even as a track bike its power is more peaky and it won't have as much low down torque as an equivalent 450R.

If you have the money to really blow on it there's no doubt it'd be loving FUN to mess around on but expect a fair bit of upkeep to keep it going and a lot of fuss when just riding around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You know what you're in for, buy buy buy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres a great deal on a KTM for someone http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-...=item35baa35a18

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Heres a great deal on a KTM for someone http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-...=item35baa35a18

I wonder if Mudkips are an acceptable form of payment.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Hah, this guy lives an hour from me and I've seen the nice new SMR they have at the local KTM place he mentions.

I love it when idiots try to recoup their "investment."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love it when people think that time and money invested will come right back out, and not depreciate at all.

He'll either find a rich sucker who will believe his story, or he'll quickly find that he's gonna get 5K tops for that thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I love it when people think that time and money invested will come right back out, and not depreciate at all.

He'll either find a rich sucker who will believe his story, or he'll quickly find that he's gonna get 5K tops for that thing.

I have a hard time believing that even a rich sucker wouldn't put 2 and 2 together and realize that he's selling this bike because the new, 9k one is better. And then offer 4k, because you can buy last year's ex AMA bikes for 5-7k.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Ugh. Thought I had the DRZ all sorted out last year. This spring it won't start. New battery, turns over quickly but never starts. I'm going to try spraying starter fluid right into the air box but short of that I'm out of ideas.

As soon as I get a new job I'm going to just pay someone to get it running consistently. Maybe I need to put the stock carb back in.

In the meantime, anyone in Seattle want to teach me how to work on my DRZ for the price of beer?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My brother is a dumb 21year old who thinks he needs a 600ss as a first bike, to keep up with a few of his friends who have been motorcycling since they were adolescents.

Have any youtube videos, magazine articles, or forum discussion I can show him that'll convince him a DRZ400sm will be plenty capable on country backroads with his SS friends? A video of a DRZ passing out supersports in corners would be helpful. Somehow, videos of one jumping curbs and loading docks, and climbing stairs isn't enough.

I've told him about pipe, 3x3 (cone filter?), 39 FCR, etc really wake the bike up, too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Not that you should be encouraging him to try to demoralize SS's in the twisties right out of the gate but it shouldn't be hard to find video of a sumo embarrassing sport bikes in the tight twisties. There's no need to brake anywhere really you can just go full throttle through every turn where SS bikes tend to back off the gas early.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

cmorrow001 posted:

Ugh. Thought I had the DRZ all sorted out last year. This spring it won't start. New battery, turns over quickly but never starts. I'm going to try spraying starter fluid right into the air box but short of that I'm out of ideas.

As soon as I get a new job I'm going to just pay someone to get it running consistently. Maybe I need to put the stock carb back in.

In the meantime, anyone in Seattle want to teach me how to work on my DRZ for the price of beer?

Clean the carb and drain/refill the gas with some fresh stuff. 99% sure it will start.

velocross fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 28, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

goku chewbacca posted:

My brother is a dumb 21year old who thinks he needs a 600ss as a first bike, to keep up with a few of his friends who have been motorcycling since they were adolescents.

Have any youtube videos, magazine articles, or forum discussion I can show him that'll convince him a DRZ400sm will be plenty capable on country backroads with his SS friends? A video of a DRZ passing out supersports in corners would be helpful. Somehow, videos of one jumping curbs and loading docks, and climbing stairs isn't enough.
How about a 175 horsepower ZX-10R that can't do the deed on a 50 HP KTM until the straightaway?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCHcVX9W4c

Perhaps something like this, where the GIXXXXER dude is clearly working hard, and the DRZ just seems to be lazily following along behind, passing up PLENTY of passing opportunities for the sake of continuing to be behind the GIXXXXER?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIHnQngYWUM

How about going the other way?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EI1DAAm9go

Or perhaps DRZ vs. M3 (who's clearly out to kill someone today...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixdEvdyz6RI

Not that he's going to ride like that... Hell, after coming up on three years under my belt, *I* still can't ride like that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Sportbikes will always have that appeal because of the top speed and the sexy fairings. On the street it makes about as much sense as a lambo but it's just as desirable none the less.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

goku chewbacca posted:

I've told him about pipe, 3x3 (cone filter?), 39 FCR, etc really wake the bike up, too.

Show him some backing it in videos. I've got a bone stock (engine wise) DRZ and I walk all over sport bikes in the twisties. They can take ya in the straights but they don't have a clue in the corner. Sit him down and tell him that if he picks up a 600ss as a first bike it's going to make him much slower in the long run. He'll baby it and won't be capable of using the power. If he starts of on a DRZ or an '08+ Ninja 250 and learns his technique. When he moves to a 600ss in a year or two he'll have some actual skill not that made up Xbox poo poo he think he has now.

At 21 he thinks he's invincible, you may not be able to tell him differently. Do your best not to let him become a moot moot. Threaten him with internet ridicule if you have to, we'll be glad to pitch in.

If all else fails please post pics for comedic value, but I hope he listens to you.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

velocross posted:

Clean the carb and drain/refill the gas with some fresh stuff. 99% sure it will start.

I'll give that a shot next. I added Stabil in the fall. Shouldn't that cut it?

EvilCoolAidMan
Jun 26, 2008
So I've been looking around at a few supermotos for my first bike after I take the msf, and I found this G650 xmoto
What is the general opinion on one of these as a first/streetbike, and how are they to maintain?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

EvilCoolAidMan posted:

So I've been looking around at a few supermotos for my first bike after I take the msf, and I found this G650 xmoto
What is the general opinion on one of these as a first/streetbike, and how are they to maintain?

Everything I've read on the G650 is it's an ok bike with reasonable maintenance (if you do it yourself) but for the money you can get a better bike. Also that's more of a high end dual sport with street tires than a motard.

Personally I wouldn't want to spend that much on a first bike that is going to get dropped and/or scratched up. For 1-2k less you can pick up a DRZ400SM, for 2-3k less you can get a DR650 if you're set on the 650 engine.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 29, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
New love for motards:

Had a car (PRIUS BASTARDS) doing 35 in a 55 single lane each way and I had a chick in an SUV on a cell phone behind me making me nervous. I went to legally pass on the left and he loving blocked me. I moved back into my lane and he slowed down to 30. Waited a minute tried to pass again and was blocked without even signalling this time.

By this point I was really pissed as this guy could have been 2 seconds late and sideswiped me. I've got my dirt wheels on and on the other side it was fairly rough, but not really bad at all. I moved left and he blocked as expected so when I pushed hard right and off road he had no chance to block me. I passed him, opened up the throttle and left Prius guy in my mirrors.

I love motards/dualsports....

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

New love for motards:

Had a car (PRIUS BASTARDS) doing 35 in a 55 single lane each way and I had a chick in an SUV on a cell phone behind me making me nervous. I went to legally pass on the left and he loving blocked me. I moved back into my lane and he slowed down to 30. Waited a minute tried to pass again and was blocked without even signalling this time.

By this point I was really pissed as this guy could have been 2 seconds late and sideswiped me. I've got my dirt wheels on and on the other side it was fairly rough, but not really bad at all. I moved left and he blocked as expected so when I pushed hard right and off road he had no chance to block me. I passed him, opened up the throttle and left Prius guy in my mirrors.

I love motards/dualsports....

You realise that the rules of the road explicitly state that if someone blocks a legitimate overtake more than twice you're allowed to drag them from their car and beat them senseless in front of their loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm too lazy to get off the bike for that. The dirt tread way is to hop the curb onto the grass, point the rear towards said douchebag and spin, spin, spin!

• Locked thread