Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

The 2 disc edition of Ben-Hur dropped down to $10.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0074JOW5Y

This dropped another dollar down to $9.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sporadic posted:

This dropped another dollar down to $9.99

God drat, bought. Thanks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

After some serious consideration I decided to go with the american Kubrick set. I just couldn't resist that price for so many movies. I received the set and sent it back for a replacement due to a huge dent in the side. No biggie, it happens. My new one arrived and looks better (has a small dent that I've decided to live with).

However, the packaging for this set is absolute garbage. The discs are in a hardcover book. It's very sturdy and heavy, and quite aesthetically pleasing. But here's the problem: the discs are each housed inside a slot at the edge of the page, and are mind-blowingly difficult to remove. They're jammed in there so tightly that it takes WAY more strength to yank them out than they ought to. There's very little of the disc exposed to hold onto, so there's no way to grip the disc without pressing firmly on the underside, leaving a horrible fingerprint every single time. But even worse is that the discs are so tightly fitted into their sleeve that they receive tiny scratches almost every time I pull them out.

Just wondering if others here have experienced this atrocity of disc packaging.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

caiman posted:

After some serious consideration I decided to go with the american Kubrick set. I just couldn't resist that price for so many movies. I received the set and sent it back for a replacement due to a huge dent in the side. No biggie, it happens. My new one arrived and looks better (has a small dent that I've decided to live with).

However, the packaging for this set is absolute garbage. The discs are in a hardcover book. It's very sturdy and heavy, and quite aesthetically pleasing. But here's the problem: the discs are each housed inside a slot at the edge of the page, and are mind-blowingly difficult to remove. They're jammed in there so tightly that it takes WAY more strength to yank them out than they ought to. There's very little of the disc exposed to hold onto, so there's no way to grip the disc without pressing firmly on the underside, leaving a horrible fingerprint every single time. But even worse is that the discs are so tightly fitted into their sleeve that they receive tiny scratches almost every time I pull them out.

Between this and the Alien Anthology I really wish companies would stop trying to be so drat clever with their packaging and just use slim cases or something. There's no reason sets as expensive as these two should be so drat cheap. I've seen bootlegs that feel better thought out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fag Boy Jim posted:

They are widely available on Amazon.

Thanks, I might have to do that when A Bug's Life comes in from the Disney Reward site, as it suppose to be the DVD/Blu-Ray package.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

sethsez posted:

Between this and the Alien Anthology I really wish companies would stop trying to be so drat clever with their packaging and just use slim cases or something. There's no reason sets as expensive as these two should be so drat cheap. I've seen bootlegs that feel better thought out.

This is another reason why the LOTR Extended trilogy box is excellent: the hard outer packaging feels solid and simply houses three separate plastic 5-disc BD-cases. It's difficult to cause damage to any of it, but it still looks beautiful and special.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toebone posted:

Anyone know where I can find free/cheap empty blu-ray cases? I grabbed A Serious Man from a Blockbuster that was going out of business, but they only had the big DVD cases to put it in.

Head back to that Blockbuster. Blockbuster's been buying all of their movies from Wal-Mart as of late (not all of them, but a great majority), so if your store is anything like mine, they'll have a bunch just laying around.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Blockbuster's been buying all of their movies from Wal-Mart as of late (not all of them, but a great majority)

So Blockbuster is pretty much dead, huh?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

foodfight posted:

They've been dead for years. Now they're just absolutely pathetic.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS

Rirse posted:

Thanks, I might have to do that when A Bug's Life comes in from the Disney Reward site, as it suppose to be the DVD/Blu-Ray package.

Yeah, I got my copy the other day and it's the DVD/Blu Ray set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What do the Disney points do? I rarely buy anything from Disney, but I got the Muppets yesterday and I noticed it had a flyer with that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CPL593H posted:

What do the Disney points do? I rarely buy anything from Disney, but I got the Muppets yesterday and I noticed it had a flyer with that.

You can use them to enter contests on the Disney site, or buy things for ridiculous amounts of them like art prints, posters, statues, etc.

They also do other promotions sometimes, like when The Muppets was out in theaters, if you bought a Muppet DVD and registered it you got a free ticket to see The Muppets.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

foodfight posted:

I could go on a mile long rant on how loving terrible Dish Network (and by extension, Blockbuster) is. Needless to say, if there are more than about 100 stores open by the end of this year, I will be incredibly shocked. They'll either be Dish suppliers/shillers, or empty spaces in mall/strip malls/abandoned buildings.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yoshifan823 posted:

I could go on a mile long rant on how loving terrible Dish Network (and by extension, Blockbuster) is. Needless to say, if there are more than about 100 stores open by the end of this year, I will be incredibly shocked. They'll either be Dish suppliers/shillers, or empty spaces in mall/strip malls/abandoned buildings.

Not that you're wrong, but Blockbuster was as good as dead long before Dish stepped in.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GonSmithe posted:

You can use them to enter contests on the Disney site, or buy things for ridiculous amounts of them like art prints, posters, statues, etc.

They also do other promotions sometimes, like when The Muppets was out in theaters, if you bought a Muppet DVD and registered it you got a free ticket to see The Muppets.

So they're like Marlboro Miles for cat ladies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I joined the movie club thing and after the 7 I got for joining and a couple bonus codes I got Remember the Titans for free.

Their club owns. I joined, got every Pixar movie that's out on Blu with my 7 for joining and my two to fulfill the commitment and it cost me like $90.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More classics and older films coming to Blu (all from Blu-Ray.com and its forums):

The Sting - June 5
Altered States - July 10
Outland - July 10
Mean Streets - July 17

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Head back to that Blockbuster. Blockbuster's been buying all of their movies from Wal-Mart as of late (not all of them, but a great majority), so if your store is anything like mine, they'll have a bunch just laying around.

That Blockbuster was all out, but if I happen to find one that's still open I'll stop in an check.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

caiman posted:

This was in all the Amazon reviews too. I have this set, and yes they are tough. All you have to do is pull on the top and the bottom and press the middle and they come out without too much trouble at all. Not the end of the world.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Blockbuster near where I live has an entire section dedicated to Blurays and DVDs you can pull from the shelf and buy for literally $1, so I hope they don't go out of business for a long time.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Most of the stuff is usually not that great, but I just ordered this sweet thing using my rewards points.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I received my copy of Battle Royale today.

I wish the other studios would take a note from Lionsgate Anchor Bay. It's the same height as other Blu-Ray cases, has a plastic sleeve to help protect the book packaging (it also has the info printed on the sleeve so they didn't have to glue a paper to the back) and, most importantly, it actually feels like a high-quality hardback book.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 23, 2012

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sporadic posted:

I received my copy of Battle Royale today.

I wish the other studios would take a note from Lionsgate. It's the same size as other Blu-Ray cases, has a plastic sleeve to help protect the book packaging (it also has the info printed on the sleeve so they didn't have to glue a paper to the back) and, most importantly, it actually feels like a high-quality hardback book.

Isn't Battle Royale an Anchor Bay release?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Origami Dali posted:

Isn't Battle Royale an Anchor Bay release?

That it is. I could have sworn I saw Lionsgate name on it somewhere but nope.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Is there anyway to find out if a movie will come out on bluray other than press releases?

Basically I would love a restored copy of Lost Horizon. They did some work on it and released a DVD in 99 but a blu ray would be amazing. I've searched and have come up empty.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Is there anyway to find out if a movie will come out on bluray other than press releases?

Basically I would love a restored copy of Lost Horizon. They did some work on it and released a DVD in 99 but a blu ray would be amazing. I've searched and have come up empty.

I mean, there are a bunch of ways. For general releases, sure the studio will officially announce it with a press release and Blu-ray / home video sites will pick it up and write a news article about the announcement. But before that stage, there can be unofficial chatter - interviews with film makers (directors / important players in films will sometimes be asked about Blu-ray releases of their older films while they are promoting their latest film), info from studio panels / online chats, listings showing up on Amazon or other retailers before announcements are made, etc. And sometimes store exclusive titles (like how Best Buy has an exclusive Blu-ray release of The Ring) will just show up in their online database or on store shelves with little to no advance warning, and certainly no formal announcement.

In the specific case of Lost Horizon, I haven't heard anything as of yet. I assume you mean the original '37 Capra film, not the remake. Capra is obviously a big enough name that someone may have interest in putting out a Blu-ray at some point, but it's tough to say. Sony has the rights and they haven't even released his big stuff like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington yet - they seem really gunshy on Blu-ray catalogue lately, which is a shame. However Sony has been making deals with Criterion, Image, and Twilight Time lately, so maybe one of them would put it out. I don't think Lost Horizon is high enough profile that Criterion would take it on (they do release a lot of small stuff, but usually from foreign / indie studios - when they license from the major studios, it's normally something pretty big / mainstream). Image or Twilight Time are definitely possible avenues for it.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks for the info. Atleast I know where to check now.

Edit:
Haha oh god. They took this beautiful movie about utopia and the quest for peace and made a nazi fighting game about it. :wtc:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1123567p1.html

rockamiclikeavandal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If anyone wants a Disney movie magic code, send me a PM.

edit: gone forever!

fenix down fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 23, 2012

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Attention anyone who owns The Muppets on bluray:

Pause the movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There is a very high chance this will turn out like poo poo but Mill Creek is releasing a spaghetti western 2-pack on May 15th.

Grand Duel/Keoma - $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007NYZ9YI

They are also releasing Gone Fishin' which I will rent it and imagine back to the simple time of 1997 where I would watch godawful movies at the local dollar theater.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Keoma is so very very terrible.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Sporadic posted:

There is a very high chance this will turn out like poo poo but Mill Creek is releasing a spaghetti western 2-pack on May 15th.

Their Gamera blu-rays were very cheap and they were fine, if I recall. Their blu-ray releases seem to be fine, not amazing or anything. Not bad at all for the price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Their Gamera blu-rays were very cheap and they were fine, if I recall. Their blu-ray releases seem to be fine, not amazing or anything. Not bad at all for the price.

Really? I could have sworn I saw bad reviews for their last spaghetti western 2-pack Last Gun/Four Dollars of Revenge.

- edit Nevermind. Looks like they release straight transfers of what they have with minimal cleanup.

some dude on blu-ray.com posted:

like watching actual prints of the films that are in terrible shape
got mine today. It's a bit difficult to review because I adjust standards based on quality of movies and source material. Let's face it these are cheese titles. Also I have not seen other SD versions to compare. But my capsule review is: it looks as if someone pointed an HD camera at a screen showing a well worn film print of the films. I mean well worn. There is significant print damage, numerous splotches, splice marks, hairs and missing frames. The Last Gun fares better. In outside scenes the picture is washed out colors are mostly drab but indoor scenes are much better blacks fare well and colors are deep. Grain is definitely visible but not overpowering and the picture is sharp. Absolutely (obviously) no DNR or edge enhancement I could detect. Audio is 2 channel LPCM and 2 channel DTS. Audio is clean and clear. Zero special features.
4 Dollars fares worse. Bad audio dub job, but I don't know if it's the original dub source or not. And worse print source as far as shape and color. If you want to feel as if your watching the film at a drive in or 2nd run 70's era theater then you will be rewarded. If you want to feel like you're watching a top notch remastered BD, you're SOL. I was not disappointed because, like I said, I adjust based on quality of film and source material and it was cheap: I paid 8.00 for mine. If the Gamera double feature from Mill Creek is an 8 in terms of PQ I'd rate this twofer a 3 or 4. However if the BD case had a sticker on the front that said "Recreate the feel of a 70's grindhouse theater visit!" then I'd rate it a 10. But I don't regret the purchase.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 25, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Keoma is so very very terrible.

I kinda like Keoma. The music is dick-in-brain awful, but it's got a pretty cool sorta tragic heart. Here's a good, if overstated, look at it:

"This knowledge of its own fate is ultimately what makes Keoma such a sad experience: Every tiniest detail here understands that it symbolizes a finished era in European cinema. The film’s characters are certainly lost in their personal sadness; its themes deal with impending death; its camera work, which often rests thoughtfully on a character’s conflicted face as its gloomy music plays, is slow and despairing; even the film’s infamously maligned soundtrack, which features a wailing woman who comments unnecessarily on Keoma’s actions, eventually comes across less as annoying screeching and more as a frantic desperation to justify Keoma’s actions as pending apocalypse surrounds him. (Though it is a justified criticism—this music is so piercing that it could make glass shatter; it has its defenders, but it certainly does not make us forget the ethereal opuses of Ennio Morricone.) The action sequences, which are composed as operatically as anything shot by Leone, are not exhilarating, but instead seep with tragedy as they reveal that as every character is killed, so too the Spaghetti Western approaches the precipice of its final moment, when there will finally be no one left to die."

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~dfgriffin/website/keoma.htm

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

Grand Duel/Keoma - $9.99

I've got their previous spaghetti western set (The Last Gun and 4 Dollars of Revenge) and it's not terrible. The movies themselves are a mixed bag (bad and decent, respectively), but the transfers are good - at least, they are sharp and they don't gently caress around with DNR or anything. I'll pick this one up if it drops to $5-6 like the last one did.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Grand Duel/Keoma - $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007NYZ9YI

They are also releasing Gone Fishin' which I will rent it and imagine back to the simple time of 1997 where I would watch godawful movies at the local dollar theater.

The Grand Duel has an amazing soundtrack, used in Kill Bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSIET_P9Ckk

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Hibernator posted:

Attention anyone who owns The Muppets on bluray:

Pause the movie.

Care to elaborate for the rest of us who don't have it?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

maniacripper posted:

Care to elaborate for the rest of us who don't have it?
An intermission curtain comes down, and various muppets mug for the camera while Statler and Waldorf rip on the movie. I don't know how many intermissions there are, but in one of them, Gonzo does a trick.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of spaghetti westerns, I got around to watching the blu-ray of Once Upon A Time In The West and really enjoyed it. The super tight closeups on faces are just awesome in high def--you can really see the beautiful film grain and gritty faces. DVD beaver has some good pics: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/onceuponatimeinthewest.htm

Here's one of my favorite scenes. The music, suspense, lighting, and shots are just perfect. I love when you see Bronson's character with shadows dancing over his eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSfO9vkpKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

penismightier posted:

I kinda like Keoma. The music is dick-in-brain awful

I like the music. I own some De Angelis stuff on vinyl.

• Locked thread