Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I've got one. I just remembered it.

When I was a kid (in the early 80s) my mom had an assortment of cheap, silly paperbacks. She had quite a few All Jaffe Mad Collections, and a few other comics and things.

One that sticks on in my mind were these paperback collections of comics, possibly a comic strip, most likely from the 60s or 70s (learning more towards 70s). It featured a small group of children, each with different ethnic/racial backgrounds. I don't remember much about the content, but I suppose it made some references to stereotypes and attempted to play on them. (Or, it could have been really offensive, I don't recall).

One of the things I recmember, is that many of the strips ended with a kid standing in the corner after having been whupped by their parents, making one last stray comment.

I think the word "Rainbow" fit into the title, but thats about it. I'd be curious to learn a bit more about it and see how it fits to the snippets I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.
So there is a thread for this sort of thing!

I was hoping someone could help me remember the name of a sci-fi trilogy (I think) that I read 10 to 15 years ago. The only relevant details I remember include the loss of the main character's eyelids through torture and the fact that it was set in our solar system. Any ideas? I remember it being entertaining and the eyelid scene stuck with me.

Phillip K. Dork
May 25, 2011

Doctor Rope

Roydrowsy posted:

I've got one. I just remembered it.

When I was a kid (in the early 80s) my mom had an assortment of cheap, silly paperbacks. She had quite a few All Jaffe Mad Collections, and a few other comics and things.

One that sticks on in my mind were these paperback collections of comics, possibly a comic strip, most likely from the 60s or 70s (learning more towards 70s). It featured a small group of children, each with different ethnic/racial backgrounds. I don't remember much about the content, but I suppose it made some references to stereotypes and attempted to play on them. (Or, it could have been really offensive, I don't recall).

One of the things I recmember, is that many of the strips ended with a kid standing in the corner after having been whupped by their parents, making one last stray comment.

I think the word "Rainbow" fit into the title, but thats about it. I'd be curious to learn a bit more about it and see how it fits to the snippets I remember.

I'm about your age so this should ring a bell, but it doesn't. I tried looking around and all I could find that fit the description was Wee Pals which was started in 1965. This has a bunch of kids with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, but doesn't seem to feature the element of the kid getting in a last word after getting whupped like you described. I was picturing something with a little more of a dry wit, but a casual googling only brings up examples cutesy platitudes with the occasional depressing zinger. If this is'nt it, these links might help:

A list of comic strips started in the 60's
A list of comic strips started in the 70's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Phillip K. Dork posted:

I'm about your age so this should ring a bell, but it doesn't. I tried looking around and all I could find that fit the description was Wee Pals which was started in 1965. This has a bunch of kids with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, but doesn't seem to feature the element of the kid getting in a last word after getting whupped like you described. I was picturing something with a little more of a dry wit, but a casual googling only brings up examples cutesy platitudes with the occasional depressing zinger. If this is'nt it, these links might help:

A list of comic strips started in the 60's
A list of comic strips started in the 70's

Hot drat! I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is actually it. That cover actually looks familar to me. I'll have to try and track down a copy and see if it is what I remember, but from the things I saw on line, it is ringing some bells.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

I read a sample of a book on my kindle a couple months ago, which was about this wealthy-ish guy living in New York at a time when a drug that gave immortality had been created, but was illegal in the US. So in the sample, he finds a doctor through some connection that's giving people the treatment, which is a set of injections over the course of a couple months, in his apartment. He gets the first injection, then goes to visit his widowed father who lives somewhere in the suburbs. The sample ends with the guy having a conversation about the treatment with his dad and how he doesn't want to get it because he wants to be reunited with his dead wife. Anyone know what book that is? I liked the sample, but I must have deleted it without adding the book to my wishlist.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

zacpol posted:

I read a sample of a book on my kindle a couple months ago, which was about this wealthy-ish guy living in New York at a time when a drug that gave immortality had been created, but was illegal in the US. So in the sample, he finds a doctor through some connection that's giving people the treatment, which is a set of injections over the course of a couple months, in his apartment. He gets the first injection, then goes to visit his widowed father who lives somewhere in the suburbs. The sample ends with the guy having a conversation about the treatment with his dad and how he doesn't want to get it because he wants to be reunited with his dead wife. Anyone know what book that is? I liked the sample, but I must have deleted it without adding the book to my wishlist.

That sounds kind of like The Postmortal by Drew Magary, but I haven't read it.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

That's it, thanks!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read several years ago at my mothers house. The story followed a young man who had just returned from fighting in WWII. I'm pretty sure it was set in Pittsburgh. He goes to work at a steel mill that was run by a guy who had provided faulty steel that resulted in some naval disaster, I think the disaster was experienced by the main character, the book had several weird coincidences in it like that. He has a girlfriend or fiancee that runs into trouble after buying a fur coat on credit, and she goes to the local alderman for help and he rapes her. The book really emphasized how deep and widespread corruption was at all levels of society. I'm pretty sure the book was written in the 1940s. Can anyone tell me the name of this book?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Short story about some dudes in a ye olde Adventurers Club who go to extinguish an eternal flame in a desert.

When they get there they're ambushed by some people who worship the flame; and the adventurers are sacrificed to keep it burning.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
There's also a short story I'd like to identify. It was published in Omni magazine in the 1980s. I can't remember any SF elements to it, and I'd like to look at it with adult eyes and see what I missed because it seemed pretty pointless. The main character was a man who I think was a reporter or writer. He's having an affair with a married woman who has a dog named "Bisquit". I remember the spelling because the narrator thought it was a pretentious name and thought less of the woman for naming it that. He takes the woman and her dog to a demonstration of napalm bombs, and for some reason Bisquit runs into the model village right before the bombs go off and get's burned alive.

Even at the time the tone seemed really misogynistic to me, almost like something Ellison would write. Can anyone help me ID this story?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

There's also a short story I'd like to identify. It was published in Omni magazine in the 1980s. I can't remember any SF elements to it, and I'd like to look at it with adult eyes and see what I missed because it seemed pretty pointless. The main character was a man who I think was a reporter or writer. He's having an affair with a married woman who has a dog named "Bisquit". I remember the spelling because the narrator thought it was a pretentious name and thought less of the woman for naming it that. He takes the woman and her dog to a demonstration of napalm bombs, and for some reason Bisquit runs into the model village right before the bombs go off and get's burned alive.

Even at the time the tone seemed really misogynistic to me, almost like something Ellison would write. Can anyone help me ID this story?

Funny you should mention Ellison, because there's a short story "The Bisquit Position" by Bernard Wolfe in Again, Dangerous Visions. Been a long time since I read ADV and I don't remember the story, but Library Thing has a "review" of it that's solely the words "napalm death dog" so it's probably the story you remember. Doesn't ever appear to have been published in Omni from what I can see, though.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Hobnob posted:

Funny you should mention Ellison, because there's a short story "The Bisquit Position" by Bernard Wolfe in Again, Dangerous Visions. Been a long time since I read ADV and I don't remember the story, but Library Thing has a "review" of it that's solely the words "napalm death dog" so it's probably the story you remember. Doesn't ever appear to have been published in Omni from what I can see, though.

That's it, and I have a copy of Again, Dangerous Visions around somewhere, but I could have sworn I read it in Omni. I bought and read ADV in my twenties, but I could have sworn I read "The Bisquit Position" as a teenager in Omni. Oh well, at least I know the name.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

In the 90s I bought a book while on Holiday with my parents, that was a Horror Novel which more or less ripped off several movies/books, most notably The Omen and The Exorcist but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is.

I vaguely recall that it turns out it was due to a cursed bloodline and it was some sort of demon after the main character, but thats about all I remember. This is a real longshot as there are probably hundreds of books that fit this description, but all I remember is that it had a brown cover, featured someone who was cursed to be killed by a demon due to their bloodline, and that it wholesale ripped entire parts of The Omen, oh and that it was published sometime in the mid 90s.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I work at a library, and one of my colleagues has a patron trying to find a specific short story (or possibly book). Here's the information she's given me about it:
"He feels as if the author is a well known writer. He thinks the story has just three characters: a boy, his father or maybe uncle, and a person of authority, perhaps an agent for a railroad, or a representative for a coal company. In the story, which is set in winter near an area with a forest, the boy and father go looking for coal which fell off of a train. They are approached by the other person who tells them they can't take the coal. The boy and the father murder the other person."

Any ideas? We already know that it is not Chekov's The Murder.

nerdpony fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 8, 2012

Icehawk_OS
Aug 3, 2009
My mom was emailing me today and this came up:

"Several hundred pages long, my kind of book! The youth were sent off somewhere (like to be "tested, initiated into adulthood kind of thing). One of the youth went off, prematurely as far as his parents were concerned, and got hooked to a "flower" that sent him to Nirvana, or some altered state, which I think also included a lot of sex, but now in the way we think of it. He didn't want to come back, but eventually did. Does this ring a bell at all with you?"

Anyone have an idea what she was thinking of?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Icehawk_OS posted:

"Several hundred pages long, my kind of book! The youth were sent off somewhere (like to be "tested, initiated into adulthood kind of thing). One of the youth went off, prematurely as far as his parents were concerned, and got hooked to a "flower" that sent him to Nirvana, or some altered state, which I think also included a lot of sex, but now in the way we think of it. He didn't want to come back, but eventually did. Does this ring a bell at all with you?"

Possibly something about Taliesin?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Icehawk_OS posted:

Norman Spinrad wrote a book Child of Fortune where the young people are expected to go on a wanderjahr prior to being considered a full adult. Had the sex, and had the flowers with psychoactive substances, anyway....

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Read a children's book twenty years or so ago (I think it was a book. The longer I ponder, the more I think it may have been a cartoon) about capturing a star. The star cannot stay happy in captivity and its' points begin to wilt. I believe the book ends with the star being put back into the sky. I remember virtually nothing about the book other than the picture of the star with the top point wilting over.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Which Asimov book/story has a super computer that, if I remember right, is a large glass sphere filled with some sort of gaseous substance.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Which Asimov book/story has a super computer that, if I remember right, is a large glass sphere filled with some sort of gaseous substance.
"Escape!"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember this young adult book I read in grade 5 back in the mid-90s. It involved a couple of kids, maybe a brother and sister, falling into some sort of alternate universe where people's memories are kept as beads on a string. The people of this world were immortal, but they had to go off to a mountaintop or temple of some kind every once in a while and get rid of all their beads (losing all their memories). The point was that this was basically the same as dying since who you are disappears when you lose all your memories.

It was pretty messed up.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Action Jacktion posted:

"Escape!"

Thanks!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
This one is driving me crazy because I remember so many details (possibly entirely incorrectly of course) but can't find the name of the book. The story opens with a girl surviving some kind of bomb exploding and killing members of the cult her mother had made her join. She claims her name is something like Virginia Whatshername and is sent off to a farm to regain her memories (which she lost in the blast). She goes by the name Shelly for the time she is on the farm and a detective periodically visits her to keep her up to date with the investigation and to check if her memories are coming back. I seem to recall there was some leading member of the cult called Sister Cherubim or something like that.

I read this when I was about 10 I think (early 90s), and it was definitely a children's book.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

snickles posted:

Read a children's book twenty years or so ago (I think it was a book. The longer I ponder, the more I think it may have been a cartoon) about capturing a star. The star cannot stay happy in captivity and its' points begin to wilt. I believe the book ends with the star being put back into the sky. I remember virtually nothing about the book other than the picture of the star with the top point wilting over.

Sound familiar to anyone?

That sounds familiar, but the more that I think about it, the more I think I'm remembering a commercial, though I can't seem to find the exact thing. I want to say it could have been for Lucky Charms, but I can't seem to find anything to back up my idea.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I read a book, or series of books, 20 to 25 years ago. It was called [Somethings] and [Somethings]. the first something's looked like a cross between pineapples and lizards, and were mean and grumpy. The second something's looked like koalas, and were happy and friendly. I think it was set in Australia, but that might just be the koala thing. That's really all I remember. Maybe something about a typewriter, and something about a crown? Anyone?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sanford posted:

I read a book, or series of books, 20 to 25 years ago. It was called [Somethings] and [Somethings]. the first something's looked like a cross between pineapples and lizards, and were mean and grumpy. The second something's looked like koalas, and were happy and friendly. I think it was set in Australia, but that might just be the koala thing. That's really all I remember. Maybe something about a typewriter, and something about a crown? Anyone?

Bottersnikes and Gumbles?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

eating only apples posted:

Bottersnikes and Gumbles?

Brilliant, thank you. Now to buy them all!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This is a bit different. I'm pretty sure I remember the title, but it's such a vague one that I haven't been able to find the right book.

Run

The book would have been published in 1995 or before, as we read it in AP English that year. I remember the main character was female and that she gets drunk at some point.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Another one, based on some memories stirred up by earlier discussion in the thread. It was a short story, post apocalypse world. A guy comes out of the wilderness to a deserted city, and exerts a huge amount of effort to get a battery into a power node that turns on all the lights, sets the walkways moving and so on. It's the closest he can get to what it was like when he wasn't alone. After a very short amount of time, the power runs out and everything shuts down again, and he leaves. He was sad because he realised he wouldn't be able to do it many more times, because the batteries were running out or he was getting too old to move them or something. That's it. I just told my fiancée about it she says it sounds like the saddest thing, so now I need to find it and read it to her.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This book was assigned reading in I think 5th grade (1995-96 for me).

Main characters were a boy and his brother (maybe multiple brothers) who were always trying one-up each other. There was a part where the main character deliberately exposed himself to mumps so he'd be the first kid in his family to get it (I forget why). His brother found out and got his revenge by eating the crusts off the loaf of bread their mom just baked (they were the main character's favorite).

Also they were the first family in their neighborhood to get an indoor toilet, and the brother would bring neighborhood kids around to show them the amazing indoor toilet, maybe charging for admission—this scene might have been what was depicted on the cover. They either ordered the toilet from the Sears catalog, or the Sears catalog had some other prominent role in the story. There was also something about pineapple ice cream, like the boys thought their mom made the best pineapple ice cream in the world.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2012

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rollersnake posted:

This book was assigned reading in I think 5th grade (1995-96 for me).

Main characters were a boy and his brother (maybe multiple brothers) who were always trying one-up each other. There was a part where the main character deliberately exposed himself to mumps so he'd be the first kid in his family to get it (I forget why). His brother found out and got his revenge by eating the crusts off the loaf of bread their mom just baked (they were the main character's favorite).

Also they were the first family in their neighborhood to get an indoor toilet, and the brother would bring neighborhood kids around to show them the amazing indoor toilet, maybe charging for admission—this scene might have been what was depicted on the cover. They either ordered the toilet from the Sears catalog, or the Sears catalog had some other prominent role in the story. There was also something about pineapple ice cream, like the boys thought their mom made the best pineapple ice cream in the world.

That's the Great Brain series by JD Fitzgerald.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Sanford posted:

Another one, based on some memories stirred up by earlier discussion in the thread. It was a short story, post apocalypse world. A guy comes out of the wilderness to a deserted city, and exerts a huge amount of effort to get a battery into a power node that turns on all the lights, sets the walkways moving and so on. It's the closest he can get to what it was like when he wasn't alone. After a very short amount of time, the power runs out and everything shuts down again, and he leaves. He was sad because he realised he wouldn't be able to do it many more times, because the batteries were running out or he was getting too old to move them or something. That's it. I just told my fiancée about it she says it sounds like the saddest thing, so now I need to find it and read it to her.

It's by Roger Zelazny, called Lucifer. In the collection The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth and other stories. Has to be the worst book title ever.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Captain Equinox posted:

It's by Roger Zelazny, called Lucifer. In the collection The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth and other stories. Has to be the worst book title ever.

Google found this online version: http://www.kulichki.com/moshkow/ZELQZNY/Lucifer.txt

Goddammit, edit and quote are two different buttons!

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I'm not sure if this thread will help with this, but I had a book when I was a kid that I am trying to locate again.

The book was probably published some time around 1990's and was relatively thin. It had gorgeous large colorful illustrations. I do not remember the story specifically but it was about a race of tiny fuzzy people with pear-shaped heads who were amber/orange and lived at a medieval technology level. I remember one of the illustrations showed a cross-section of their lair in a forest that included a large underground cavern system, another showed one of them riding on a bird, and another showed a lot of them marching through the snow.

I wish I had more information to go on, but I think I looked at the art much more than I read the story.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Sarx posted:

I'm not sure if this thread will help with this, but I had a book when I was a kid that I am trying to locate again.

The book was probably published some time around 1990's and was relatively thin. It had gorgeous large colorful illustrations. I do not remember the story specifically but it was about a race of tiny fuzzy people with pear-shaped heads who were amber/orange and lived at a medieval technology level. I remember one of the illustrations showed a cross-section of their lair in a forest that included a large underground cavern system, another showed one of them riding on a bird, and another showed a lot of them marching through the snow.

I wish I had more information to go on, but I think I looked at the art much more than I read the story.
All I can think of is Fraggle Rock. They had a series of picture books and comic books to go along with the show.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Thank you but it was much more detailed illustration than that. We're talking beautiful full-page paintings that blew my mind as a child.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This might be "Trouble for trumpets" by Peter Dallas-Smith

http://www.amazon.com/TROUBLE-FOR-TRUMPETS-Dragonfly-Books/dp/0679803432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332871490&sr=8-1

Good luck finding a copy. (without paying through the nose)

The Albino Otter
Sep 2, 2007
I'll blind you with my albino powers!
I read a book when I was 12 or 13, and i'd like to find it again. All I can rememberis the protagonist is a girl that you follow into young womanhood, as she becomes a wizard. She lives with her adopted wizard father on a mountain and as she grouted up she collects famous animals, one of which is a boar that talks. And I can remember that in the end she is captured by an evil magician and calls a demon or something by saying his name backwards? Not too helpful of a description, but if anyone can help, it's goons!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Albino Otter posted:

I read a book when I was 12 or 13, and i'd like to find it again. All I can rememberis the protagonist is a girl that you follow into young womanhood, as she becomes a wizard. She lives with her adopted wizard father on a mountain and as she grouted up she collects famous animals, one of which is a boar that talks. And I can remember that in the end she is captured by an evil magician and calls a demon or something by saying his name backwards? Not too helpful of a description, but if anyone can help, it's goons!
This?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

yaffle posted:

This might be "Trouble for trumpets" by Peter Dallas-Smith

http://www.amazon.com/TROUBLE-FOR-TRUMPETS-Dragonfly-Books/dp/0679803432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332871490&sr=8-1

Good luck finding a copy. (without paying through the nose)

YES! Thank you so much. I will probably buy a copy eventually.