Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Homestuck started that way too. It's evident in the relatively meandering pace of Act 1. During the updates when WV was giving John orders, the instruction box was in fact locked, heightening the mystery of his identity.

poo poo, it's slow now, you're making it sound like if the suggestion box was still open we'd be rear end-deep in hivebent still.

v True, and especially with how big the fandom is now I can't imagine how difficult it would be to go through the thousands of suggestions he'd get a day, not to mention how disjointed the comic would be with each person trying to pull more time for their favorite character.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There was also a certain point in Homestuck when reader suggestions stopped being even potentially useful. Homestuck's more structured than Problem Sleuth and has a more fleshed-out backstory and a lot of future plot elements already pinned down and foreshadowed. It's not feasible to have a reader suggestion just carry things in a different direction on a whim, which leaves only tiny micro-actions as reasonable suggestions (and even then, there's so many characters at various points along different axes and branches of time to potentially suggest things to, that it's kind of overwhelming).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Jailbreak and Problem Sleuth were entirely reader driven, Jailbreak to the point where Hussie would exclusively take the first command submitted.

IIRC, the later parts of Problem Sleuth were mostly done by Hussie. Only the gag ones that didn't affect the plot much were reader submitted. I'm guessing this was to get through the puzzles he had instead of going through a near-endless flood of silly commands.

KoB
May 1, 2009

YggiDee posted:

If Meenah believes that she is dead because her plan worked, do you think maybe that plan was the A1 Scratch?

I would assume they initiated the scratch and instead of being reset/deleted decided to kill themselves or get killed in some way, since deadselves reside in the outer ring outside the universe. Which would protect them from getting scratched.

Not quite as finessed as the Kid's idea, but whatever.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hes going to do it, isnt he. We are going to see all the prescratch trolls. Character bloat. Hussie and Tite Kubo get together for a massive ancillary character party.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazu posted:

Is it me, or is it some kind of thing that main characters sometimes forget that they have telekinetic powers? It's that weird kind of stupid that I don't think anyone actually is.

You are clearly a person who has never forgotten that you have hands which can be used to pick up and move things. (Always remember to eat breakfast kids! It is the most important meal of the day. :downs:)

But yeah fictionally speaking it does seem to be A Thing for super powered heroic types to forget that they don't have to save people by putting themselves in harms way. I can forgive it in John though because he is a) just that dopey and b) Jake's ecto-son, so it's completely understandable, if no less idiotic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Plazmataz released a recut version of Flare that is more in-line with the cut that was part of Cascade. You can download it for free.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Hes going to do it, isnt he. We are going to see all the prescratch trolls. Character bloat. Hussie and Tite Kubo get together for a massive ancillary character party.

I'm hoping at best he'll just give them a small scene in the dreambubbles where they're seen, we see their names and how they talk and no more than that except for the important ones.

Snowboat
Mar 24, 2012

by angerbutt
What did Dirk eat on his lonely platform?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Snowboat posted:

What did Dirk eat on his lonely platform?

Fresh-caught fish filets and a stockpile of Broritos left for him by Dave, who I presume is the apartment's original owner.

Sometimes he breads the filets with Brorito crumbs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Plazmataz released a recut version of Flare that is more in-line with the cut that was part of Cascade. You can download it for free.

Oh heck, I was just thinking about how great this exact thing would be! :haw:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're having serious scale issues here!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Huh, and we just spent several days talking about Vriska. This is going to be interesting.

Also, judging by the tears...probably pretty sad.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Huh, and we just spent several days talking about Vriska. This is going to be interesting.

Less of the sad kind and more of the "4UGH MY 3Y3S W3R3 JUST BURN3D OUT >:[" kind of tears, if one recalls this moment being just after the Make Her Pay exchange.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Not necessarily. It looks like Terezi is flashing back to right after she was blinded. Which means this is after both troll girls have been maimed by each other.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

King of Solomon posted:

I think this is right after Vriska made Terezi burn her eyes out, so this exchange will be interesting (also that's probably blood).

e:fb

VV The walls are covered in the H34DS code she wrote as part of the First Guardian code.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Midnight Raider posted:

Less of the sad kind and more of the "4UGH MY 3Y3S W3R3 JUST BURN3D OUT >:[" kind of tears, if one recalls this moment being just after the Make Her Pay exchange.

That's definitely possible, but look at the walls. This Terezi is probably not the same Terezi we know.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

VV The walls are covered in the H34DS code she wrote as part of the First Guardian code.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, that was from an alternate universe. In that same timeline, Gamzee sobered up early, remember?

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 25, 2012

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I guess this will answer a mystery of mine, what kind of vitriol they spewed at each other after mangling themselves over.

EDIT: The writing on the walls was always there, it's a part of Doc Scratch's genetic code.

EDIT2: And by always there, I mean scrawled onto the walls by Terezi as she slept.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

That's definitely possible, but look at the walls. This Terezi is probably not the same Terezi we know.

Isn't that the H34DS part of the T1CK T0CK BR8K H34DS code?

But yeah, this definitely could be a doomed Terezi. Wasn't there a Terezi wandering around in the Roxy: Sleepwalk flash? Granted, that may have been Alpha Terezi since Rose and Dave were nearby.

Edit:

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, and if I remember correctly, that was from an alternate universe. In that same timeline, Gamzee sobered up early, remember?

That was just Gamzee's code from that timeline. Everything else was from the Alpha as far as I remember.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Boneless Jogger posted:

Edit:

That was just Gamzee's code from that timeline. Everything else was from the Alpha as far as I remember.

Yeah, this is correct. I just looked back to those pages to verify it, and I was wrong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
You know, as fun as the fight over the book, the Ghostbusters MMO, and the introduction of The Best Troll have been, I've gotta ask...

Can we go back to B2? I'm kinda wanting to see more of those adventures.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Cleretic posted:

You know, as fun as the fight over the book, the Ghostbusters MMO, and the introduction of The Best Troll have been, I've gotta ask...

Can we go back to B2? I'm kinda wanting to see more of those adventures.

I'm guessing we'll be back to that soon. Terezi is pretty much the only major character that hasn't been given much screentime in this intermission, so it might end shortly after this.

Edit: Although, I gotta say that I can't wait to see Jane's land. Someone mentioned it earlier, but it would be cool if we got a land introduction flash again. I'm totally cool with more intermission, though.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 25, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Bluh, I just realised something obvious. Tick tock br8k h34ds is the code for a First Guardian, and it was mentioned that h0nk H0NK was a mysterious extra bit. That was the bit that makes a First Guardian a vessel for Lord English, wasn't it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Slime posted:

Bluh, I just realised something obvious. Tick tock br8k h34ds is the code for a First Guardian, and it was mentioned that h0nk H0NK was a mysterious extra bit. That was the bit that makes a First Guardian a vessel for Lord English, wasn't it?

Not quite. It's just that troll genetics is a lot more complicated than human genetics, so they needed five or six codes instead of one. The magic cue ball was what turned Scratch into a vessel for Lord English.

But he did emerge alongside a Tick Tock, appeared with the 8r8king of a h34d, and followed that up with a honk HONK.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

rear end-Haggis posted:

I guess this will answer a mystery of mine, what kind of vitriol they spewed at each other after mangling themselves over.

Yeah, I've always wondered about this and the origins of their "truce". But also, since it's a dreambubble, chances are the conversation won't end how it did originally

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Not quite. It's just that troll genetics is a lot more complicated than human genetics, so they needed five or six codes instead of one. The magic cue ball was what turned Scratch into a vessel for Lord English.

But he did emerge alongside a Tick Tock, appeared with the 8r8king of a h34d, and followed that up with a honk HONK.

Troll genetics has nothing to do with it, it's not like Doc Scratch/Lord English is a troll. Cue ball and puppet genetics maybe.

Maybe it's that he's made using bad JuJu that makes him a Lord English vessel. It's Lil' Cal again. It's always that fucker.

Slime fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 25, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Looks like Terezi's getting ready to have a little VR1SK4CH4T herself!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You preemptively burst into tears for the forthcoming conversation.
Sad Terezi :(

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
We've seen this Terezi briefly, haven't we? When Aradia was journeying through dream bubbles and we saw the creation of Lil Cal?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Meme Emulator posted:

Except that unlike Kubo, Hussie actually kills some of his characters off. We haven't seen dad, Rose's mom, Tavros, or Nepeta since they died. Or Equius, Eridan, and Feferi either really.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A Spider posted:

You preemptively burst into tears for the forthcoming conversation.
Sad Terezi :(
I think that's blood. On account of dreambubbling up her memories of right after she was blinded.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Pastrymancy posted:

We've seen this Terezi briefly, haven't we? When Aradia was journeying through dream bubbles and we saw the creation of Lil Cal?

Well, there's no reason to assume that "this Terezi" is anything but the main Terezi who is still alive on the meteor, given that the meteor is where she seems to be. But yeah, we've seen part of this memory before (during the infodump bit you mentioned) - it's from just after she lost her eyesight. We didn't actually learn much about it at the time, though, since Aradia talked all over it; but it seems now that this is when Terezi and Vriska worked out their truce, and we might get to see part of that, depending on which Vriska this is and how soon she realizes/remembers she's dead. (Also on whether Terezi actually reads/responds.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is probably Alpha Terezi by virtue of the fact that we saw a transition from her on the meteor to her in her room. Dream bubbles always start as a memory, after all. This is a memory shared between her and Vriska when they talked to each other after having just tried to kill each other and came up with their little truce.

The reason we're seeing this moment is almost surely because Terezi did in fact kill Vriska, and now she's going to have to talk to her about it. Considering the framing, I'd say it's quite possible (and would be quite interesting) if Vriska forgave Terezi for it, bit of a reversal of their earlier conversations when Terezi (and Aradia and Tavros, really) infuriated Vriska by not holding her acts of brutality against her. Vriska letting go here would probably be indicative of John's influence, especially if Beta John is somewhere around Vriska at the moment.

I'm hoping with start with the two of them going through the motions of their original conversation, as per the memory, only to both admit at some point that they do know they're in a dream bubble it's just nice to remember a time of reconcilliation between them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The thing is, Terezi shouldn't have been able to answer Vriska back then because it took some time for her to learn how to see via smelling. So I don't think Terezi originally answered Vriska's (presumed) taunts, meaning this could be pretty...dramatic this time around.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Nate RFB posted:

The thing is, Terezi shouldn't have been able to answer Vriska back then because it took some time for her to learn how to see via smelling. So I don't think Terezi originally answered Vriska's (presumed) taunts, meaning this could be pretty...dramatic this time around.

That's possible, I hadn't thought of that. This could go some interesting places if that's what was going on here originally.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We can't have flashed back to immediately after she was blinded - Terezi was walking in the forest at that time.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yes, but this is pretty likely to be very shortly after, since her eyes seem to be bleeding (tears are blood-tinted but more translucent; Hussie could have just not bothered or forgotten to do that this time, but I don't think so) and she hasn't acquired her signature glasses.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm really looking forward to this conversation and hoping its used to unpack some of Terezi's issues. We really got beat over the head with Vriska's failings and growth away from them; it'd be nice to see the other scourge sister get a little of the same.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Seoinin posted:

I'm really looking forward to this conversation and hoping its used to unpack some of Terezi's issues. We really got beat over the head with Vriska's failings and growth away from them; it'd be nice to see the other scourge sister get a little of the same.

Yes, her :turianass:failings:turianass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I don't remember Terezi having a smell-o-scope before, but I'm probably wrong. Still a nice touch, though.