Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have been looking for a tablet and due to life suddenly happening, an iPad is suddenly outside my price range. I am looking to buy a $200 tablet mostly for Netflix, web browsing and maybe an emulator or two. Problem is, I don't know an Android from a cyborg. The Android guy at my work recommended the Lenovo A-1. Is there a better $200 tablet out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you can bear to wait a bit longer, hang on for the rumored Google Nexus tablet with a $199 (or less?) price tag, probably coming out around the middle of the year (?).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
If you can scrape a few more bucks together, $276 for a Refurb Gtab 10.1 16GB is a pretty good deal..

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71120/newegg-10-samsung-16gb-wifi-galaxy-tablet-refurbished?token=AAIBBQAAAAAEPD5d2A

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If an iPad is "suddenly out of your price range" I'd wonder about the advisability of buying any non-crucial consumer electronics.

So yeah, wait for the rumoured nexus tablet, by the time thats out your situation may have changed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks everyone, will wait a while and see about the Nexus.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

If you can scrape a few more bucks together, $276 for a Refurb Gtab 10.1 16GB is a pretty good deal..

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71120/newegg-10-samsung-16gb-wifi-galaxy-tablet-refurbished?token=AAIBBQAAAAAEPD5d2A

I would be hesitant even for that price simply because it looks like Samsung is releasing an almost identical Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with ICS. I haven't used a 10.1 for any length of time and so can't speak to how it does with Honeycomb. But it's a little foolhardy to count on Samsung making good with updates, especially when they're releasing a second version whose only distinguishing feature may be the up-to-date OS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Thanks everyone, will wait a while and see about the Nexus.
It probably won't be announced before Google IO at the earliest (June 27).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cakefool posted:

If an iPad is "suddenly out of your price range" I'd wonder about the advisability of buying any non-crucial consumer electronics.
Excuse me, this thread is not for telling people not to make bad financial decisions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

Will it get ICS though?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Will it get ICS though?
No, if you want Ice Cream Sandwich, you have to buy the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which is basically the same but with a worse camera and different styling.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Endless Mike posted:

No, if you want Ice Cream Sandwich, you have to buy the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which is basically the same but with a worse camera and different styling.

Do we actually have that confirmed?

I thought that model was in line for 4.0, it was the fat 10.1v that was abandoned.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

It's suppose to "soon"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/samsung-mobile/android-40-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-for-galaxy-s-ii/390405030989148

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So it appears that I have just been given a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus. It was my mother's so it is basically just vanilla with whatever updates would have been pushed to it thru whatever official updater there may be on it (I actually don't have it just yet as she's in Florida for the week). Is there anything I should do to it immediately?

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 20, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In before "wrap it in a towel & beat yourself to death with it"

A full factory reset would be a good start.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dissss posted:

Do we actually have that confirmed?

I thought that model was in line for 4.0, it was the fat 10.1v that was abandoned.
Wait, so the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 is actually the third Samsung Tab 10.1? loving hell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, so the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 is actually the third Samsung Tab 10.1? loving hell.

What came first, the note or the tab. Could be the 4th.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Endless Mike posted:

Fourth if you count the Galaxy Note 10.1.

And then there's the 3G and LTE variants.

edit: :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

Fourth if you count the Galaxy Note 10.1.

And then there's the 3G and LTE variants.

edit: :argh:
I'm not counting the Note since it's a Galaxy Note, not a Galaxy Tab.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't forget the 10.1N.

Though that's a replacement SKU for specific markets.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The 10.1 "2" is just like the "10.1n" changed physically enough to hopefully put an end to the Apple lawsuits, and likely production cost reduced.

I have no doubt the original 10.1 will get ICS as well.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So do more expensive tablets just not have an xda presence or something? It's silly to think a community can come together to get ics working pretty awesome on a 160 dollar e-reader but not port a ROM available on basically the same hardware configurations. Or is this some sort of I shouldn't have to I paid money thing?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

revolther posted:

So do more expensive tablets just not have an xda presence or something? It's silly to think a community can come together to get ics working pretty awesome on a 160 dollar e-reader but not port a ROM available on basically the same hardware configurations. Or is this some sort of I shouldn't have to I paid money thing?

It's probably more that cheaper devices are going to be more popular and easier for developers to get their hands on if they suddenly decide they want to do something with it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

revolther posted:

Which tablet do you have?
Mobile device hackers are odd and fickle. Devices may have a better presence one a certain board and then go somewhere else for the next iteration. Check Rootzwiki, Google around for the device name and "forum", etc.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Arcsech posted:

It's probably more that cheaper devices are going to be more popular and easier for developers to get their hands on if they suddenly decide they want to do something with it.
Plus, putting Android on a toaster is probably more fun than just tweaking something that already comes with HC or whatever.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I have an original Xoom which I like in general. I've generally been using it less since I got an Air. Not really because of MacOS, more because of its portability.

However, I think one reason I have not been using the Xoom is that much is it is so drat clunky in term of its weight. Especially when combined with the awful Motorola case.

At this time, is it worth swapping it out for, say, the Galaxy 10.1 which is like a feather in comparison? Are there decent cases for that tablet?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I went from a Xoom to a Transformer Prime, which was a nice step up.

Going to a Samsung Galaxy Tab, you wouldn't be getting any better performance, and you'd be stuck with Samsung's software. Personally I wouldn't find that worth the effort.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'd say pick up a 7.7 if you have the money or the 8.9 LTE off of craigslist (they seem to be going for about $350 used). The 8.9 LTE has a 1.5Ghz Snapdragon instead of the outdated Tegra 2.

Or you can wait for the 10.1 2 or the 10.1 note :v:

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
What is so bad about tge Samsung software?

I agree it would make sense to upgrade to a faster processor plus ICS. Prime support seems a bit conflicted in this thread though!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mewcenary posted:

What is so bad about tge Samsung software?

Samsung seems to be rejecting new UI standards in Android and sticking with the old hobbyist looking poo poo that existed before, presumably because non-technical people would be confused if their launcher re-skinned after an update.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also they are delaying (sometimes severely) software update releases while they take time to shovel in their poo poo.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If I wanted an android tablet, I'd be looking at the galaxy tab 10.1 or the prime.

What about this Toshiba Thrive? actual USB port makes it appealing to me, but it's not a necessity I guess.

Price isn't really a problem and I don't want an iPad. I like the android environment and I want to play the apps I've purchased for my phone on a larger screen. I've found that I like the games...but playing them on a 5" screen with my fingers monopolizing various amounts of real estate during gameplay is annoying. Doing this on a larger screen would easily be more enjoyable.

I actually want the Note tab when it comes out...but I have no idea when that will be. If it's in the next couple of months, I can wait.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nickhimself posted:

If I wanted an android tablet, I'd be looking at the galaxy tab 10.1 or the prime.

What about this Toshiba Thrive? actual USB port makes it appealing to me, but it's not a necessity I guess.

Price isn't really a problem and I don't want an iPad. I like the android environment and I want to play the apps I've purchased for my phone on a larger screen. I've found that I like the games...but playing them on a 5" screen with my fingers monopolizing various amounts of real estate during gameplay is annoying. Doing this on a larger screen would easily be more enjoyable.

I actually want the Note tab when it comes out...but I have no idea when that will be. If it's in the next couple of months, I can wait.
I've got a thrive, and its great. It IS thick and heavy, but the usb port and full size sd card slot make up for it. I use it to review pictures right off my camera, plus I put movies on the sd cards when I travel. I got a cheap case of Amazon, and it works fine. The camera isn't great, but it's acceptable. I got mine from woot, and immediately rooted it. I like it way more than my boss's iPad, plus its more useful (photo viewer, movie watching off interchangeable cards , etc).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

People should seriously take a look at the thinkpad tablet, I like it a lot and it seems to get overlooked.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
^^^^^ Is there a 10.1" option for that?

Well for me, the thing with tablets is I DO NOT care about the camera. My phone does that for me just fine and it isn't like holding up a text book to take a mediocre picture. So with any tablet, cameras will go 100% unused. I don't Skype and I'm not an amateur photographer.

I had a W500 tablet which was cool but I ultimately found that the purpose I intended it for wasn't possible in the capacity I wanted it. Most games I tried to run forced mouse position in the center of the screen so any movement with my finger would result in crazy camera spinning. Then I started to notice that I didn't play most of my phone's games because the tiny screen made them largely un-fun.

The thrive has that rubberized back and side which makes it more appealing because it won't slip around everywhere and the weight isn't a problem to me because I don't have the grip strength of a kindergartener.

Still though, I want the note tablet. Is there information on an actual release date or do we just know that it's coming?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The other 'thick with USB port' option is the Acer A200/A500. Both should be available incredibly cheaply second hand.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

dissss posted:

The other 'thick with USB port' option is the Acer A200/A500. Both should be available incredibly cheaply second hand.

We recently got the A200 at my job. It isn't too thick at all and its on sale at staples for 329 this week.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What are the odds of dual booting win8 and android on the asus prime? Is this gonna be an option for any newer android tablets? Would it even be officially supported?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

r0ck0 posted:

What are the odds of dual booting win8 and android on the asus prime? Is this gonna be an option for any newer android tablets? Would it even be officially supported?

Zero. ARM windows will be machine specific.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Anyone have input on the Acer A100 - eBay has a refurb as a "Daily Deal" for $190.

I was thinking of it is a bit faster upgrade to my Nook Color, running "real", supported ICS and would also like BlueTooth for headphones at the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.

-Random reboots.

-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.

What the hell is going on?