Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I'm going to go outside and drop my bikes a couple times so I can be in the CA cool guys club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

there's an argument that while they will most likely protect your bike from a standing or low speed drop, catching the end of those bars on any kind of edge, crack or dip in the pavement could possibly send the bike into a flip, making the bike that was sliding on it's fairing (which is kinda one of the reasons they're there) flip around and damage a lot more than it would have.

Sometimes it just puts force on the frame the wrong way. With my bike, at least, I'd rather have a rashed but replaceable clutch/crank cover than something like this, from a wreck the bike should have survived:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/42646-repairable.html

quote:

Thanks for the quick response.

The story is:
15-20 mph in a big roundabout
Highway on top of the roundabout, thus, shadow and ice on a part of the roundabout
Bike slipped until the pavement
Crush mushroom hit the pavement and ripped the frame and the engine

Should I take apart some pieces and sell them in ebay?
Scrap it entirely?
Try to sell it like that in autotrader?

Thanks
It should look a bit more like this:

I'm sure there are times when they help too, but I'm not sure if those times are worth it. Also, my sister got a FZ6 with the mushroom style sliders on it, then proceeded to have a slide and a few low speed drops. The sliders never touched the pavement, they were too short. The covers and bar ends still took the brunt of the hit.

Are any sliders crash tested or do people just make them?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

nsaP posted:

This is why I don't run sliders.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've dropped my bike twice and it hasn't even run under its own power yet. :hf:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I have a crash frame because those buns never do poo poo above 5mph.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

Sometimes it just puts force on the frame the wrong way. With my bike, at least, I'd rather have a rashed but replaceable clutch/crank cover than something like this, from a wreck the bike should have survived:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/42646-repairable.html

It should look a bit more like this:

I'm sure there are times when they help too, but I'm not sure if those times are worth it. Also, my sister got a FZ6 with the mushroom style sliders on it, then proceeded to have a slide and a few low speed drops. The sliders never touched the pavement, they were too short. The covers and bar ends still took the brunt of the hit.

Are any sliders crash tested or do people just make them?

That bike wouldn't have survived that impact, it obviously hit a curb with how the sidecover came off. You hit a curb with 400 pounds of bike at 20mph and you're breaking poo poo. All of the bolt holes in the engine cases are hosed and I wouldn't be surprised if the ignition rotor and potentially the crank was toast there too.

I want the bike to be able to slide for as long as possible on it's side so I generally choose case savers and sliders. Low speed tipovers and crashes where the sliders save you are far more common in my experience than the ones where sliders screw you. Plus if you're going to hit something that's going to catch a piece of your bike, you're going to gently caress up that part hard regardless of what it is. I've seen sliders catch, I've also seen hard mounted footpegs catch, bars, swingarm spools, etc. At high speed it's a total crapshoot, same with low speed crashes in an urban environment, I'd rather protect against as much as I can. Frame sliders have saved me far more than they've cost me.

Oh and my first bike never hit the ground. But who stops at the first bike?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2012

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

nsaP posted:

Roll call for anyone who's first bike never touched the ground. Give a holler.

Holler.

Now as for the third...

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I bought a new ninja 2010 250 two years ago because I wanted to finance a portion of it. I dropped it during the first week while in my driveway practicing up hill starts. Technically, I laid it down gently after I had a sudden lurch and a quick front brake caught me off balance. Nothing but small scratches and my hurt pride but at least I didnt have to worry about my "first drop" in the back of my mind anymore since then. Quite liberating to "drop it" actually.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

You tell em man.

To everyone else in the forum: Roll call for anyone who's first bike never touched the ground. Give a holler.

Non-holler, charter member of CA cool guys club.

#1 - Down, all good after a standing eight count.

#2 - Down, full knockout - think Tyson vs. Spinks.

#3 & 4 - Undefeated, knock on chrome.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

CheeseSpawn posted:

I bought a new ninja 2010 250 two years ago because I wanted to finance a portion of it. I dropped it during the first week while in my driveway practicing up hill starts. Technically, I laid it down gently after I had a sudden lurch and a quick front brake caught me off balance. Nothing but small scratches and my hurt pride but at least I didnt have to worry about my "first drop" in the back of my mind anymore since then. Quite liberating to "drop it" actually.

Advice to proto CA-ans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRDsRruMgw

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Was on my way home from cruising the backroads (got to ride through a few creeks, that was fun.) Stopped at a red light on the highway, took off and suddenly had a flat. Pulled in at a Atwoods (Tractor Supply type place.)

Wasn't worried as I had a radial repair kit and an air compressor, except the side case they were in was gone. gently caress. So I go in the store and get a repair kit. Spent 20 minutes trying to find a puncture. Nothing, except for noticing that my tag is also gone. gently caress again.

Wobble across the street to a gas station, fill up the tire and find out that valve stem is broken. Had to call for a rescue. That's what I get for finding the most bumpy roads.

And the OEM BMW side cases suck. It's laying somewhere in the country with my insurance/registration / air compressor in it (it'll be dark soon or I'd go look for it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're lucky you didn't crack the subframe or blow a shock.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I dropped my first bike by crashing it at 120km/hr. And I still ride the very same bike! :colbert:

What actually happened: I went into a corner too fast & doing something to make the back wheel lock up and I instinctively braked .. scrubbed some speed off, before being catapulted off the bike. I basically just span around on the road watching my bike spin around too, for maybe 50-60 metres on the road.

My bike still has a really hosed up exhaust pipe and scratches all over it, but it still runs fine.

The only thing I needed to replace was my rain pants.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

You tell em man.

To everyone else in the forum: Roll call for anyone who's first bike never touched the ground. Give a holler.

I dont think any of my bikes have never touched the ground, they're heavy as hell and carrying them instead of riding them sort of defeats the purpose.

For real though, I dropped my brand new GSXR the week I got it. Thankfully it happened on the same day I installed the frame sliders. Not my first street bike, but my most expensive one for sure.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've never dropped my bike, but it did get blown over by the wind once.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I never dropped my first bike but a friend and experienced rider low sided it after locking up the front brake somehow coming to a stop.

Sigh.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The only sin of dropping a bike, is being under it. You will drop "a" bike in your career. I own bikes I have not dropped. But I have dropped bikes.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I've dropped every bike I've ever had except for my DRZ SM. How does that work?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

When I hopped on my bike for the first time I locked it up practising u-turns on a road that I turned and went a tad downhill to do the u-turn. Saw the gutter and I was going to hit it so I grabbed the front brake and hit the gutter and tipped over. Was quite a relief actually (aside from nadding myself on the tank). I'm glad it happened because I lost that anxiety of when I was going to drop it then and there in a safe environment.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MrZig posted:

I've dropped every bike I've ever had except for my DRZ SM. How does that work?

Murphy's Law. When you're zooming around like a gleeful idiot, nothing happens. And when you're sensible, you die a horrible death! :haw:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My bike has signs of being put to sleep on each side. I'm not worried about doing that. I am worried about being able to pick the drat thing back up again.

Speaking of crashbars/sliders, I have bars on mine. No idea where they came from, but the same mounting tab is broken on each side. And I'm wondering if it's worth keeping them on. Or finding something better, which I have not been able too, since aftermarket for MK2 Bandit 600 specific parts aren't the greatest as they weren't the popular model.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

That bike wouldn't have survived that impact, it obviously hit a curb with how the sidecover came off. You hit a curb with 400 pounds of bike at 20mph and you're breaking poo poo. All of the bolt holes in the engine cases are hosed and I wouldn't be surprised if the ignition rotor and potentially the crank was toast there too.

I want the bike to be able to slide for as long as possible on it's side so I generally choose case savers and sliders. Low speed tipovers and crashes where the sliders save you are far more common in my experience than the ones where sliders screw you. Plus if you're going to hit something that's going to catch a piece of your bike, you're going to gently caress up that part hard regardless of what it is. I've seen sliders catch, I've also seen hard mounted footpegs catch, bars, swingarm spools, etc. At high speed it's a total crapshoot, same with low speed crashes in an urban environment, I'd rather protect against as much as I can. Frame sliders have saved me far more than they've cost me.

Oh and my first bike never hit the ground. But who stops at the first bike?

Yeah, you're right.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Nerobro posted:

The only sin of dropping a bike, is being under it. You will drop "a" bike in your career. I own bikes I have not dropped. But I have dropped bikes.

Or thrown over it. I've seen plenty of that on race tracks. I always get a little bit of :smug: when it's that first time MotoGP wannabe that has been talking trash about the pro testers and semi-pro racers.

But yeah, never dropped my first bike. Never dropped my second bike, came mighty close though.

Third bike, well, it's been over both sides, both while totally stationary. First time I stupidly forgot to put the kick stand down and walked away. Second time, was evading a courier who'd cut across my path as I was exiting a steep driveway with a high gutter. Feet didn't touch the ground, couldn't stop the bike going over.

As for my track bike, it's been down plenty of times.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
My first bike was a Honda Shadow and I had it all the way back in 1999. I always dropped it in low speed turns, crashed it good three times and generally just sucked at riding. I got rid of it and didn't ride for ten years. I don't know why I was such a lovely rider, but I have a feeling it would have been a lot different if I had a Ninja 250 or something instead.

As for "falling over in the driveway", I'm convinced 90% of it is made up so people don't have to say "I screwed up turning".

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Nerobro posted:

Yeah so how common is it to drop a bike? It seems like most people *have dropped at some point*, but is it something I should expect when I first ride? I (hopefully) should be getting my bike endorsement soon and am just figuring out what I should expect.

I mean I've rode a road bicycle fairly seriously on and off the past 10 years or so (:v:)and I've dropped THAT bike a total of maybe 10 times in my career. The worst was when I was zipping down a hill (maybe 25-30 mph?) and, well, low-sided I guess when I cut the wheel to avoid a cat that darted out RIGHT into my tire. :3:

That kind of sucked, but I could at least ride the 10 miles home with some significant rash. A week or so of down time and my rash was healed, and all that happened to my bike was some messed-up grip tape and a few dings on the frame (I was clipped in, and so propped the frame in the air as I slide so I wouldn't have to pay to fix the drat thing). I guess the thought of dropping an object dozens times the weight at twice the speed has me a bit :saddowns:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I've dropped my bike on my leg at a gas station...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps

I've also dropped it inside of a trailer by removing all tie downs on the left side of the bike first trying to get it unloaded quickly. :hurr:

You WILL have a brain fart sometime in your riding career.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Boru posted:

Yeah so how common is it to drop a bike? It seems like most people *have dropped at some point*, but is it something I should expect when I first ride? I (hopefully) should be getting my bike endorsement soon and am just figuring out what I should expect.

I mean I've rode a road bicycle fairly seriously on and off the past 10 years or so (:v:)and I've dropped THAT bike a total of maybe 10 times in my career. The worst was when I was zipping down a hill (maybe 25-30 mph?) and, well, low-sided I guess when I cut the wheel to avoid a cat that darted out RIGHT into my tire. :3:

That kind of sucked, but I could at least ride the 10 miles home with some significant rash. A week or so of down time and my rash was healed, and all that happened to my bike was some messed-up grip tape and a few dings on the frame (I was clipped in, and so propped the frame in the air as I slide so I wouldn't have to pay to fix the drat thing). I guess the thought of dropping an object dozens times the weight at twice the speed has me a bit :saddowns:

Well, I was talking about "driveway idiocy". I've dropped two motorcycles in the driveway. Once because I was holding it up trying to check the oil. Once because I was reaching down to grab a dropped glove.

"Walking away" from a bike with the kickstand up, is a common story too.

I've done some slow speed things too. Usually in front of big audiences. Coming home from a motorcycle trip, while in a parking lot, I was trying to get into a parking space. Turns out I was in 5th gear, not first, and I couldn't get the bike moving. So over I went.

You don't necessarily need to crash. But if you're enjoying your motorcycle, the chances of you going down is essentially 100%. It's going to happen. There are things that you can't necessarily accommodate for.

For example, that slightly damp bit of pavement isn't actually slightly damp, but instead is a little bit of diesel from a truck that had just topped up.

Or while driving to work on a Wednesday, the truck that picked up the grease from the local chicken shack spilled some due to a new frost heave. Sending you and your motorcycle sliding across the pavement and fracturing your femur.

Stuff can happen. If you're going slow enough, you can probably avoid most of it. But even at posted limits, you're not going to be able to avoid everything. Wear your gear, be ready for the fall.

schreibs posted:

I've dropped my bike on my leg at a gas station...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps

I've also dropped it inside of a trailer by removing all tie downs on the left side of the bike first trying to get it unloaded quickly. :hurr:
Never be under the bike. NEVER. :-)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Roll call for anyone who's first bike never touched the ground. Give a holler.

First three never touched the ground except for the pegs, pipes, and floorboards. Ironically I let somebody else's bike fall over.

Third bike was in the shop and I was on a loaner Katana which didn't have a working neutral light or sidestand kill switch. Standing next to it, started it, thought it was in Neutral and let the clutch out. Bike proceeds to wobble forward about 5 feet and flop on its side.

Also... I took the Ulysses for my first good ride on it yesterday. That bike is such a dream. Took some technical roads that on the vstar would be pretty much be pushing 100% of the bike's capability while boring me, deep into floorboard every turn, all of the throttle on exits. On the Ulysses, I'd say I'm working 40% of the bike's capability and 70% of mine, carrying momentum, picking lines, riding pace with minimal brakes, and actually making the chassis work.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 26, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

and actually making the chassis work.

What do you mean?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Throttling through turns and settling the suspension. This is a very fine and kind of un-fun balancing act on a low-slung bike like the vstar. It will touch down very soon so you have to compromise line, throttle, and speed an appreciable amount to avoid bouncing out of the lane when the pipe or peg mount hits.

I am not talking about knee-dragging poo poo either. To make the vstar work you need a nice windy interstate with 55mph sweepers, which is like 10% of the riding I see.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

nsaP posted:

You tell em man.

Mine did not. Rode it for a year, and didn't see dirt until 2 owners later. My buddy's brother ran it into a guard rail going ~5-10mph.

My second bike went down the day I bought it, as I tried to push it by myself on inclined gravel under a bridge. Laid it down very gently, but there is a tiny spot on the fairing to remind me.

I have come close to dropping the Versys while on it because it's fairly tall, but I haven't put a bike down while I was on it yet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Scooter: <5mph lowside in gravel

Twinstar: never down

Nighthawk: started in gear x1, walked away with sidestand up x1

Intruder: stopped in driveway without putting feet down x2, blew over x2 (that fucker's heavy!)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SV650 - multiple 0mph drops, one 40-50mph lowside

DRZ400SM - mostly <5mph drops messing around off road

KDX200 - lost count first day I rode it, plenty of trees and off a 100+ foot drop

CRF450R-SM - no drops or crashes, also hasn't blown up yet

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bandit 600 - Not dropped. Yet.

I'm still considering buying a set of engine bars for it, considering how wide the engine is.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Bandit 600 - Not dropped. Yet.

I'm still considering buying a set of engine bars for it, considering how wide the engine is.

The only crash bar I've seen for the Bandit 600 that might actually work is this: http://www.justbandits.com/shop/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=85&P_ID=170

It's risky and involves bad Karma installing anything with crash in its name on a motorcycle though.

Ohhh, they call them engine bars now. I guess they're safe then.

Honest opinion: You're just installing more things that'll break and need replacement when you crash.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

The only crash bar I've seen for the Bandit 600 that might actually work is this: http://www.justbandits.com/shop/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=85&P_ID=170

It's risky and involves bad Karma installing anything with crash in its name on a motorcycle though.

Ohhh, they call them engine bars now. I guess they're safe then.

Honest opinion: You're just installing more things that'll break and need replacement when you crash.

Yeah, but rather them than the clutch cover etc.

I was considering something like these:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsf_600_s_t_v_bandit_-_gn77a/95-97/picture/engine_bars_renntec_-_black/

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So, after selling my 125 just before winter set in (and then didn't set in :argh:) I now have less than 2 weeks to go until I start a glorious few days working on getting my full bike licence (UK goon). You may colour me excited!

And to help with the getting of a bike, a mate of mine says he will fix up any mildly damaged, non written off, bike for me as he needs something to do at nights. The cheap bike possibilities have now grown :dance:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, but rather them than the clutch cover etc.

I was considering something like these:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsf_600_s_t_v_bandit_-_gn77a/95-97/picture/engine_bars_renntec_-_black/

Looks sturdy enough to twist your frame before it cracks your clutch cover.

Whatever, I'm a whore and will probably install it for a couple of beers if you ask me.

Get it in chrome to match your super-porno-chrome-re-re-double-inforced brake-lines ;)

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Almost dropped the monster in the driveway yesterday. I was rolling backwards and it started to get away from me. I got control of it just in time.

Plus no one was looking...so no sweat off my sack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Open Layer posted:

So, after selling my 125 just before winter set in (and then didn't set in :argh:) I now have less than 2 weeks to go until I start a glorious few days working on getting my full bike licence (UK goon). You may colour me excited!

And to help with the getting of a bike, a mate of mine says he will fix up any mildly damaged, non written off, bike for me as he needs something to do at nights. The cheap bike possibilities have now grown :dance:

What part of the country are you in?