Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I'm a sister :v:

And I still have to get him to consider the rest of the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

An observer posted:

Yell "ATGATT or GTFO!" Then brandish a bat and ask him if he'd rather have the gear on or off when you hit him. That would still hurt less then the road or cage he'd come in contact with though.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

An observer posted:

Whoops! Rather male normative of me, sorry! You are a good older sibling. Until he gets a full-faced helmet, each punch to his jaw makes you even better.

SpannerX posted:

Yell "ATGATT or GTFO!" Then brandish a bat and ask him if he'd rather have the gear on or off when you hit him. That would still hurt less then the road or cage he'd come in contact with though.

I do this in public to strangers.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
I resurrected my Honda Elite 110 from its hibernation today! Riding it felt like the first time all over again. Also the Elite handled its first winter with gusto and fired up without trouble, as if it had been anxiously waiting for me to return the entire season. Also changing the oil was more difficult than I previously imagined.

I rode to my Honda dealer and placed an order for a top box for even more cargo capacity. That makes 35 liters of underseat storage and soon to be 27 liters of top box storage. 62 liters of storage capacity PLUS a glovebox for my insurance crap, wallet contents, and even a cupholder!

Feelsgoodman

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Cup holder on a scooter? :911:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have a straw built into your helmet to go with that cupholder?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The cats and I are curious about this as I have no cup holder. It's still difficult with a straw when you're wearing a full-face helmet.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Joining the scooter riding grey cat closeup crew.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Now I feel left out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So there's plenty of guides and videos on how to do basic carb cleaning maintenance, but everybody seems to skip the part where you actually take it out of the scoot. Maybe it's just easy as pie but as soon as I took the seat cover off and took a look at that mess of hose and metal I got scared of loving everything up. Anybody have a good source for this? I'm talking about your standard Chinese knock-off scoots.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Cup holder on a scooter? :911:

My current scooter doesn't have one (my old one did), and it's bloody annoying having to ride home from the drive through with one hand.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Cupholders are boss. The one I have on my Stella is inside my glovebox, so it's not super convenient compared to the one I had on my Vino 125 which was in the open, but I don't have it to drink while I ride anyway.

I just to transport my soy lattes from place to place.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Looked at a couple Honda Elites this weekend, but they were both trashed. :(

The weather is finally turning nice and I need a scoot!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I realize I've basically been talking to myself for the last five or so posts in this thread but... I DID IT! I decided to bite the bullet and take apart the carb, I cleaned it out and managed to put everything together and now it runs and rides just like before! Feels good man.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat, I just got rid of my Honda Passport, but I'm already itching to get either another Passport and do a 140cc conversion and/or a Ruckus and see if I can hack it with with the 125-150cc engine.

e: shop in town has a Symba... so tempting...

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FYI: I'm selling a River Road Hoodlum vintage motorcycle jacket in SA-Mart if anyone is interested

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474468

Perfect fashion for those Vespa and Genuine scoot owners!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm interested in getting into riding as commuting by bus sucks, and I don't really want to get a car when I just need to transport myself a short distance to work.

What's the word on the street about PULSE and Lexmoto scooters? It looks like they fall under the umbrella of Chinese manufacture, so I have no idea if they're good or bad. My budget is pretty limited (<£1000) and selection is pretty slim from what I've seen on the likes of Autotrader.co.uk and various searches.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Super Slash posted:

I'm interested in getting into riding as commuting by bus sucks, and I don't really want to get a car when I just need to transport myself a short distance to work.

What's the word on the street about PULSE and Lexmoto scooters? It looks like they fall under the umbrella of Chinese manufacture, so I have no idea if they're good or bad. My budget is pretty limited (<£1000) and selection is pretty slim from what I've seen on the likes of Autotrader.co.uk and various searches.

I've heard of neither brand, which is a bad sign. You are much better off buying a used 'big name' scooter like Honda, Yamaha, etc than a brand new no-name Chinese brand. They will break, and you will not be able to get parts for them generally.

Sucks if you can't find a used one though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

UK craigslist not working out either?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Nah I've always found craigslist to be pretty empty. I totally had my eyes on the Yamaha Cygnus X, but damned if I know of where to get a reasonable one around Manchester. Shame that Chinese bikes are so appealing with their price, as the bikes climb higher and higher with the named stuff, cars are looking cheaper and cheaper. :argh:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
nobody cares.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 23, 2017

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
This video is the scooter community in 7 minutes
https://vimeo.com/39177812

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Well, I'm more exhilarated now.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

where did you find this video documentary of my life???

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So here's a thing. :smug:

I have to wait until my next paycheck to be able to afford riding gear, and it's killing me >_<

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That's my scooter club :3

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any good advice for someone who really knows next-to-nothing about scooters, except that after living in Chicago for about 8 years and envying everyone who scoots past, I know that I would really like to have one.... someday...

What brand is the best bang for your buck, for someone who is automotively illiterate (I would need to have a shop service any issues). Good gas mileage a major plus, gas is like $4.75 a gallon here these days. Easy to ride for a beginner, definitely. And yes, I would totally get a helmet even though there's no helmet law here in Chicago. I like my head and face intact! How much should I reasonably expect to spend for the cost and maintenance of one of these beasts? I love the vintage look of Vespas, but of course budget is a concern.

I don't have a car, and while I've been ok the last few years with public transportation and occasional zipCars, it would be really refreshing to be able to hop on a scooter to run to the store, or a friend's house, or work.

I was also wondering if any of y'all had ever encountered scooter pet carriers/trailers for larger dogs. I\'ve seen the ones that can accomodate small dogs on the front or back of the scooter, but would be looking for one more similar to that kind you see people pulling on their bikes. I've seen info about modding sidecars for pets, but hear that is hell on your ride and mileage. Just a fun idea.

If there are any good 'scooters for beginners' sites I should read to keep my stupid questions out of your thread, I'd be glad to look there.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
A deep breath, and...

EVG posted:

Any good advice for someone who really knows next-to-nothing about scooters, except that after living in Chicago for about 8 years and envying everyone who scoots past, I know that I would really like to have one.... someday...

Great! Scootering is the best thing. And I know Chicago has at least one good scooter shop: ScooterWorks, probably the biggest online retailer of Vespa parts in the country. They're also sister business to Genuine Scooter Company, which is headquartered in Chicago.

EVG posted:

What brand is the best bang for your buck, for someone who is automotively illiterate (I would need to have a shop service any issues). Good gas mileage a major plus, gas is like $4.75 a gallon here these days. Easy to ride for a beginner, definitely. And yes, I would totally get a helmet even though there's no helmet law here in Chicago. I like my head and face intact! How much should I reasonably expect to spend for the cost and maintenance of one of these beasts? I love the vintage look of Vespas, but of course budget is a concern.

The OP (well, 2nd post) has a list of good brands. You're basically alright with any model from any of those makes. And they pretty much all make vintage-Vespa-looking scooters. You do pay a premium for the Vespa brand name. I'd suggest buying used, but if new, SYM and Kymco are probably the best value.

As for being beginner-friendly: all of the modern-type CVT scooters are easy as pie to operate, and even the peppiest 150ccs (~60mph) are sedate enough for even someone brand new to powered two wheelers. Look into motorcycle training courses in your area, as many schools offer scooter-specific classes, and worst case you take the full MSF BRC and learn how to ride a motorcycle (shifting, ooh!) too. Guaranteed it will make you a better, safer rider.

Gas mileage: with few exceptions, you're probably looking at 90mpg or better with a modern 50cc and 75mpg with a modern 125-150, depending on how aggressively you ride.

Maintenance costs shouldn't be too bad and the vast majority of it would be in shop labor, so I'd suggest learning the basics on your own. Rough numbers on just parts:
-Engine oil change: $7 (one bottle of oil) every 1,000-2,000mi
-Final drive oil: $1.50 (part of one bottle of gear oil) every 2-3 oil changes
-Tires: $35 every 3,000-4000mi (rear) and maybe 8,000mi (front)
-Roller weights: $15 every 5,000-15,000mi (varies a lot)
-Drive belt: $25 every 10,000mi or more
-Valve check/adjust: probably $0 in parts
-Brake pads: $20 every 5,000-10,000mi (also varies a lot)

I don't know how what shop prices are like around Chicago, but budget $75 per hour of labor. Most of the above will be a 1/2 hour of shop time (they generally bill a minimum of 1/2 hour), with a couple things (weights, belt, valves) maybe being 1-3 hours.

The oils are usually EXTREMELY easy to do yourself and once you buy the parts you need for it (funnel, drain pan, maybe wrenches?) it'll pay for itself within one or two changes. Brake pads are usually very easy and require few tools. Weights, belt, and valves require a bit more know-how and may require special tools.

EVG posted:

I don't have a car, and while I've been ok the last few years with public transportation and occasional zipCars, it would be really refreshing to be able to hop on a scooter to run to the store, or a friend's house, or work.

I do have a car and live in a city with an okay bus system, and holy poo poo I would never give up my scooter. Cars and buses are awful once you get used to riding instead.

EVG posted:

I was also wondering if any of y'all had ever encountered scooter pet carriers/trailers for larger dogs. I\'ve seen the ones that can accomodate small dogs on the front or back of the scooter, but would be looking for one more similar to that kind you see people pulling on their bikes. I've seen info about modding sidecars for pets, but hear that is hell on your ride and mileage. Just a fun idea.

You don't want to do this. Trailers and sidecars add a several new levels of poo poo to this.

EVG posted:

If there are any good 'scooters for beginners' sites I should read to keep my stupid questions out of your thread, I'd be glad to look there.

Y'know, I'm not sure, off the top of my head. Read the OP, read through this thread, and do some Googling.

Find out what local laws are about licensing: usually, bikes under 50cc (almost all 50cc bikes are technically 49cc) don't require a motorcycle endorsement, but may require a driver's license, and there may be speed and horsepower restrictions as well.

On a riding note, a great site is Scoot Safely. It's no replacement for training, but his posts are thoughtful and informative and I'd suggest reading them in your idle time. It will give you a perspective on riding you may not yet have.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget to bugdet for gear. If you plan on riding in the winter you'll need a second set for that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I don't know how what shop prices are like around Chicago, but budget $75 per hour of labor. Most of the above will be a 1/2 hour of shop time (they generally bill a minimum of 1/2 hour), with a couple things (weights, belt, valves) maybe being 1-3 hours.

I wouldn't go back to a mechanic that took 1-3 hours to change a belt or weights. I've done it myself in about 20 minutes, if I had proper tools and was more organised I could probably do it in 10.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

notZaar posted:

Don't forget to bugdet for gear. If you plan on riding in the winter you'll need a second set for that.

Yes, I did miss this. If you bargain hunt, you can spend about $100 per thing for a full-face helmet, jacket, pants, boots, and <$50 for gloves.

How much gear you want to wear is up to you. Obviously the best thing is to wear all of them all the time, but I do understand that it might kill some of the appeal of scootering to suit up every time. My comfort level is a full-face helmet, jacket, gloves, regular jeans, and sturdy work boots. I know the jeans will shred just about instantly above 25mph, and the boots are low-speed abrasion protection at best.

open24hours posted:

I wouldn't go back to a mechanic that took 1-3 hours to change a belt or weights. I've done it myself in about 20 minutes, if I had proper tools and was more organised I could probably do it in 10.

Fair enough, I did pull those numbers out of my rear end. I sold my CVT scooters before they got to the point of needing either.

I'd still guess an hour of shop time for either task, but it does indicate the importance of shopping for shops. For someone without mechanical inclination, a garage, and a decent tool kit (probably including an impact wrench), these are more difficult and intimidating to DIY.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

notZaar posted:

Not necessarily. I bought an armored mesh jacket with a removable liner for 3-season riding and just wear a hooded sweatshirt under it when it gets really cold. A $5 neck gaiter does wonders at speed when the temperature is less than toasty. However, something to wear over your pants would be necessary if you don't want to wear thermals all the time.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
hurrr

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you just, like, enjoy giving Lowtax money?

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009
Greetings goons! I just recently (as of yesterday) made the decision to purchase a scooter. I ended up buying a Velocity 150-05 and I fell in love. Now I totally get it .....

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Do you just, like, enjoy giving Lowtax money?

I've just put him on ignore, he's a arse.

I got the air bellows for the vespa from scooter west. Yeah, I'm thinking it is also from India, and won't last more then a year. I know it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get on there.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

I got the air bellows for the vespa from scooter west. Yeah, I'm thinking it is also from India, and won't last more then a year. I know it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get on there.

poo poo :( I need one soon

And I don't think mootmoot realizes that making fun of scooter people doesn't work even though we were just posting about a video made by scooter people making fun of scooter people?

But anyway here's a bunch of famous testosterone men on scooters

Steve McQueen:

John Wayne:

Paul Newman:

Gregory Peck:

Charlton Heston riding pillion/bitch/"cupcake" with Stephen Boyd:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Hello scooter goons!

A friend sent this to me the other day while I was marveling at your Honda Elites on my facebook wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6lSvgsdvyI
Honda scooter ad circa '83 with Devo

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Boomerjinks posted:

Hello scooter goons!

A friend sent this to me the other day while I was marveling at your Honda Elites on my facebook wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6lSvgsdvyI
Honda scooter ad circa '83 with Devo

Christ, I wish companies were putting money into mainstream scooter advertising again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Christ, I wish companies were putting money into mainstream scooter advertising again.

Honestly I'm kind of having fun feeling like I know one of the best kept secrets in America: these things are fun as hell. Hopping on my Honda and performing a twist-n-go is just an amazing feeling. No gears, easy maintenance on the thumper, just the feel of the road. I couldn't feel nearly as smug if everyone else was doing it. :smaug: