Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I want to try hosting casual sessions in the near future. Does anyone have advice on hosting, just things to make sure I have or whatever? I have two tvs, but only an 360 and two games, in a mid size apartment. I'm not expecting a ton of people and am probably way overthinking this from crippling social anxiety but I want to make sure I'm not missing any etiquette or equipment or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Van Ishikawa posted:

I want to try hosting casual sessions in the near future. Does anyone have advice on hosting, just things to make sure I have or whatever? I have two tvs, but only an 360 and two games, in a mid size apartment. I'm not expecting a ton of people and am probably way overthinking this from crippling social anxiety but I want to make sure I'm not missing any etiquette or equipment or whatever.
As someone that has hosted sessions before, I would first suggest finding out if there are people even interested in your area who would want to go before you start worrying about other stuff. If you find some people you could even then work out if you actually need your apartment or if there is someone else who has a area they can provide instead. Otherwise, let people know what you do have and what they might else need to bring for equipment.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Are there other alternatives to the Madcatz Fightpad? More precisely something that has a less "squishy" D-Pad but has a similar overall form/feel to the Fightpad ?

Picked up Soul Calibur V and Ultimate MvC3 for PS3 yesterday and while the Fightpad is fine for Mortal Kombat its lacking in these two games for some reason..

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A7L-ZngJ9nQ#t=137s

Jiyuna pretty much hits the nail on the head w/r/t what's wrong with Western FG scene (most of what he's saying applies to europe too)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mfny posted:

Are there other alternatives to the Madcatz Fightpad? More precisely something that has a less "squishy" D-Pad but has a similar overall form/feel to the Fightpad ?

Picked up Soul Calibur V and Ultimate MvC3 for PS3 yesterday and while the Fightpad is fine for Mortal Kombat its lacking in these two games for some reason..

Try the Hori Fighting Commander 3 PRO, it has adjustable diagonals - so you can make it super-tight for MK and KoF -, a similar layout to a Fightpad but, IMHO, a lot more ergonomic, and some other gimmicks. It's scrubby Rose/Taskmaster/King/H-VSion tested and approved.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Dias posted:

Try the Hori Fighting Commander 3 PRO, it has adjustable diagonals - so you can make it super-tight for MK and KoF -, a similar layout to a Fightpad but, IMHO, a lot more ergonomic, and some other gimmicks. It's scrubby Rose/Taskmaster/King/H-VSion tested and approved.

MadCatz fightpad is way more ergonomic than the Hori FC3 Pro. There is absolutely no way you'll effectively be able to go claw on the Hori (yeah I do this), so the only finger you'll be able to use is your thumb for the 6, and index for the 2 right triggers. The DPad is incredibly stiff, but directionals are muddy unless you adjust the diagonal calibration to "small," because you need to hold both seperate left & down directions for a downback; it's not round (ie nowhere to push to activate both at once). Your left DPad thumb will also get uncomfortable within an hour due to this. The entire pad/mold is a lot smaller/cramped as well, so there's a good chance on accidentally hitting the left triggers with your left index finger until you actively focus yourself not to do it.

6-button pads I own and my rating:
MadCatz Fightpad - Excellent but squishy DPad
Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro - Responsive when calibrated but really uncomfortable
PDP Versus Fightpad - loving terrible

The MadCatz is easily the best/closest to the old Sega pads, and it never gets uncomfortable. You can actually fix the DPad problem (I did) by doing this: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/tutorial-how-to-mod-a-madcatz-fightpad-internal-external-mods.109309/

It's ridiculously difficult for some reason to get a perfect shape on the cross, but it's worth it and responds great afterwards. I'm basically only keeping the Hori FC3P for 2-player.

Dias posted:

Wait, how is it impossible to go claw on the Hori, that's how I play it and I have absolutely no issues at all. Three fingers for six buttons. I suppose me having tiny hands helps, but I never had any of the issues you mentioned - although I'll give you the cramped shoulder buttons, and the d-pad is a matter of preference.
You know how with the MadCatz, it's symmetrical on both sides and you have that "batarang" space underneath the buttons to lay your hand on? The Hori doesn't have that for some reason and resembles someone without a chin. It might be possible if you have it in your lap I guess, but your palm will still hang out in the air. Also zero chance of hitting those right triggers like that. If the Hori had fatter "wings," it'd be a lot more comfortable. Smaller hands would help, but I don't have meatpaws or anything near that. It's just not comfortable for me on either side of the controller :sigh:

rivals posted:

Isn't the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro the one that's got like a stub on the right side so it's more or less designed to be played claw style?
It's a stub but it's not for claw. It fits into the hand nicely when using only thumb/index (triggers), but there's zero room for the palm if you're playing claw (because it's a friggin stub).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 23, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wait, how is it impossible to go claw on the Hori, that's how I play it and I have absolutely no issues at all. Three fingers for six buttons. I suppose me having tiny hands helps, but I never had any of the issues you mentioned - although I'll give you the cramped shoulder buttons, and the d-pad is a matter of preference.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Isn't the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro the one that's got like a stub on the right side so it's more or less designed to be played claw style?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It works for me, I just rest the stub on my palm - actually, on the "arch" of the palm, close to the thumb/index - and grip it with my thumb, like a literal claw, and it feels comfortable if a bit weird at first. But when I say I have tiny hands, I mean it, I have itty bitty tiny little girl hands, so my experience might not be representative of most. Also, I just like the Dual Shock grip on the d-pad side better than the Sega grip Madcatz has.

I suppose it's more of a Fighting Game Dual Shock 3 than anything, so if you like the Dualshock but would like six-button configs and a "better" - or at least more adjustable - d-pad, the Hori pad might suit you better.

This might be the first time there has been an actual pad discussion in the thread, as opposed to stick. Pad is awesome. :cool:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Van Ishikawa posted:

don't let anyone steal your poo poo

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
The Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro sounds like its worth a try and is fairly easy to get a hold of (Amazon UK has them)and not to expensive ether..

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Brett824 posted:

If these dudes don't make top 8 I'll be sad.
Quickscopesephiroth got called for KOF 10 minutes ago but he hasnt shown up, looks like he'll be DQ'd D:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pai and Sarah from VF have been confirmed for DOA5... y'know, in case you care.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Along with two new characters, Rig and Mila. I've gotten to play DOA5 myself and I kind of like it, so I'll be looking forward to its eventual release.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're gonna pad, do it right and get a saturn pad and run that poo poo through a converter. I guess you could use a 6 button Genesis pad as well, but that requires two converters, while the Saturn PS2 pad is only one.

Its basically PS2 Saturn Pad > Madcatz/Nubytech > Everything else

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pai and Sarah from VF have been confirmed for DOA5... y'know, in case you care.

Pai is my #2 after Wolf so I am pretty stoked.

I am just happy Leon made it cause by the popularity(by usage) charts they put in for DoA4, he was the least played in character in Japan and second least played in North America, despite being boss as hell.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you're gonna pad, do it right and get a saturn pad and run that poo poo through a converter. I guess you could use a 6 button Genesis pad as well, but that requires two converters, while the Saturn PS2 pad is only one.

Its basically PS2 Saturn Pad > Madcatz/Nubytech > Everything else

Saturn pads are a limited resource, we've long gone reached peak saturn pad.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of surprised Madcatz hasn't made an MLG controller with 6 face buttons, or at least a new fightpad that uses the same modular d-pad/stick design. It seems like that controller would be great for fighting games if it weren't for the 4 face buttons thing.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So today I got dragged to the most boring place ever but I managed to find one thing that made the trip worth it:

:allears:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just want one with the saturn style six buttons, where the top lane is smaller than the bottom because it increases accessibility. But Sega aint gonna put out one because they love making a great product and then ditching it forever (see: Virtua Stick High Grade).

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm considering going to Xbox. Tekken was so much better on it online. :qq:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Popehoist posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A7L-ZngJ9nQ#t=137s

Jiyuna pretty much hits the nail on the head w/r/t what's wrong with Western FG scene (most of what he's saying applies to europe too)

Jiyuna is so loving salty there it's amazing. He is pretty much saying "why don't people just play games for fun don't play this game :qq:" though. It's standard anime fighting game player saltiness; since MvC3 and SFxT are very "anime" in mechanical style but actual anime games don't get the time of day it pisses him off.

The thing is, Mayonnaise Arena is arcade only, Melty doesn't have a console release, playing AH3 makes you a registered child molester list and BB is terrible. If you're not :filez:, the only way to get a non-fraudulent anime game in the Western world nowadays is to shell out over $100 for loving Carnival Phantasm or scrounge up a copy of GGXXAC from somewhere.

Hopefully, Skullgirls and the XBLA/PSN rerelease of GGXXAC will rectify things, but KOFXIII is pretty "anime" in style and feel, and is the most legit fighting game of this current generation.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
BB is way, way less terrible than Marvel and SFxT and I consider BB a really mediocre game.

Also he's mostly making fun of the people on SRK who complain about random things in anime fighting games and then play Capcom stuff where the same problems occur and that people don't abandon games they like in Japan because everyone plays Capcom games.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 25, 2012

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Is there a particular reason why most players at MLG are playing MK/SC5 with controllers instead of sticks? Aside from personal preferences, are inputs somehow easier on controllers for those games?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rekkit posted:

Is there a particular reason why most players at MLG are playing MK/SC5 with controllers instead of sticks? Aside from personal preferences, are inputs somehow easier on controllers for those games?

Both MK and SC5 are very controller friendly, in those scenes there was never any benefit from learning stick so most just never did.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
It's not a fighting game question but I don't know where else to ask.

What are some super fun 3 - 4 player games you could play on emulators of any kind? Already got d&d covered.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

washow posted:

What are some super fun 3 - 4 player games you could play on emulators of any kind? Already got d&d covered.

Power Stone 2 for dreamcast.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

washow posted:

Vendetta, motherfucking Vendetta. You can play as Hulk Hogan and Mr. T, there are a ton of guns and objects with which to break faces. Nuff said.

Also: X-Men Arcade, TMNT, The Simpsons, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, Warlords, Gauntlet: Legends, Cannon Spike, Spawn: In the Demons Hand, Saturn Bomberman, Champions of Norrath, Saturday Night Slam Masters, any N64/DC/PS1 Wrestling game with a create a player.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Chu Chu Rocket, Guardian Heroes (but way easier on 360 than emulated), Chu Chu Rocket, NBA Jam tournament edition, Bomberman 64, Chu Chu Rocket.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jmcrofts posted:

Power Stone 2 for dreamcast.

This, a thousand times this. I may not have gotten rid of my xbox had they re-released PowerStone.

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.
I originally wrote Goof Troop but that's only 2 player, so I'm changing my answer to Smash TV, any version.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Rekkit posted:

I play most games on stick but MK9 I can only play on pad. That game just feels weird to me on stick, mostly because of EX moves. You enhance a move by pressing block at the same time you hit the attack button (like back, forward + 2 + block), and I never found a layout for stick where it felt natural to push an attack button and block at the same time while also being able to use block to, like, block. Also the only way to dash is to double tap forward which also feels better on pad than on stick.

On the other hand CD Jr only plays MK9 on stick and he just won MLG so there's probably something to that.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Does anyone recall if they mentioned the legality of the Hit Box stick at MLG? I was a little surprised REO didn't play on it, but didn't know if it was illegal or not.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

kaujot posted:

Does anyone recall if they mentioned the legality of the Hit Box stick at MLG? I was a little surprised REO didn't play on it, but didn't know if it was illegal or not.

As long as it has that chip so you can't hold back and forward at the same time it's should be good, right?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

washow posted:

DnD: Shadows over Mystara always bugs out for me on GGPOFBA. When the second player is playing, the buttons are always bugged and when P1 hits "cast spell" the other player casts too. :(

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Waterbed posted:

BB is way, way less terrible than Marvel and SFxT and I consider BB a really mediocre game.

Also he's mostly making fun of the people on SRK who complain about random things in anime fighting games and then play Capcom stuff where the same problems occur and that people don't abandon games they like in Japan because everyone plays Capcom games.

Yeah dude (Yeah bed?), because hating modern Capcom fighters is really controversial.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

kaujot posted:

REO prefers pad to hitbox, actually. Although part of the reason he dropped the hitbox is because his kept breaking.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

may contain peanuts posted:

REO prefers pad to hitbox, actually. Although part of the reason he dropped the hitbox is because his kept breaking.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thought he might have kept with it due to easier IAGB.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
What's a good place to find high level Tekken match videos? I've decided to dust off T6 to start practicing for tag, and I need some inspiration.

edit: I mean outside of Tekken Zaibatsu threads - like is there anywhere with a lot of matches consolidated into one place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

MadRhetoric posted:

Jiyuna is so loving salty there it's amazing. He is pretty much saying "why don't people just play games for fun don't play this game :qq:" though. It's standard anime fighting game player saltiness; since MvC3 and SFxT are very "anime" in mechanical style but actual anime games don't get the time of day it pisses him off.

The thing is, Mayonnaise Arena is arcade only, Melty doesn't have a console release, playing AH3 makes you a registered child molester list and BB is terrible. If you're not :filez:, the only way to get a non-fraudulent anime game in the Western world nowadays is to shell out over $100 for loving Carnival Phantasm or scrounge up a copy of GGXXAC from somewhere.

Hopefully, Skullgirls and the XBLA/PSN rerelease of GGXXAC will rectify things, but KOFXIII is pretty "anime" in style and feel, and is the most legit fighting game of this current generation.

I agree with you that the current major anime games aren't really accessible in a western context but you can't deny that it's loving laughable that SFxT is actually going to be an EVO main game.

• Locked thread