Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Because I like fried rice every day. That was my question, whether I could indefinitely grow them in a cup of water or eventually have to plant. I obviously need to do some reading on growing plants... Thanks!

You'll likely be able to get one or two re-growings tops (get the pun haha) from it, before it's spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dino. posted:

That, my friend, is bitter gourd. And holy gently caress is it bitter as all get-out. It's called Karela in Hindi. Split it in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. They're pretty bitter as hell too. Slice it into 2 cm pieces. Salt them well, and let it sit for half an hour. Then, wash off the salt, and rinse the karela in plenty of cold running water. This will reduce the bitterness.

In a skillet, heat some fat (peanut, canola, corn, whatever). Add in about 2 tsp of cumin seeds. They will pop and crackle, and smell amazing. Add in a medium onion (diced), and as much green chilie as you can take. Add some salt, and turmeric (if you have it). Sautee until the onions are just softened. Add the sliced karela, and stir-fry until it's tender. Turn off the heat, and stir through some tamarind paste, and a pinch or two of sugar. Just a tiny bit, no more.

Then, eat it in small doses with whatever other stuff you're eating. For bonus points, add in lots of freshly grated coconut towards the end of cooking, and stir through.
Thanks for the info (Gravity as well). Found a recipe in a cookbook for stir-frying bitter melon as well. I will try it with dinner tonight!

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

thank you, am on my way out to buy bread, olive oil, and coldcuts, and am looking into that white chicken chili slow cooker recipe on the wiki.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Street tacos.

or Balut.

How are baluts good for hot weather? They scare me like no other food product can.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Cowcatcher posted:

Whatever you do with it, make sure you cook the hell out of it, not just because of parasites but also wild game tends to be tough

I made slow roasted boar shoulder recently, if you get a nice fatty or marbled part tie it up with string and cook at 225 for 4-5 hours

Don't worry, I cook almost exclusively with wild game because I don't like to support factory farming. I've just never had a wild hog before so didn't know what to get!

Shoulder, you say? I've already convinced my friend to hack off some cheek meet for me. He looked at me a little weird but whatever.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

How are baluts good for hot weather? They scare me like no other food product can.

You consume them while drinking large quantities of cheap beer. More points if that cheap beer is San Mig.

No reason to be scared if you eat eggs and you eat chicken, it's just he midpoint. Gordon Ramsay ate some on Gordon's Great Escape and liked it, once he got over how it looked.

razz posted:

Don't worry, I cook almost exclusively with wild game because I don't like to support factory farming. I've just never had a wild hog before so didn't know what to get!

Shoulder, you say? I've already convinced my friend to hack off some cheek meet for me. He looked at me a little weird but whatever.

Shoulder is probably the most versatile cut on the whole beast. If you can get some, for sure, get some.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

What is that, and how do I cook it?

EDIT: what should I do with enoki mushrooms?

Enoki mushrooms? Saute them in some oil and then finish with a touch of oyster sauce. You can thank me later.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 23, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Because I like fried rice every day. That was my question, whether I could indefinitely grow them in a cup of water or eventually have to plant. I obviously need to do some reading on growing plants... Thanks!

I've got a lot of green onions growing outside in Utah weather (shaded but desert-y, lovely sandy/clay soil.) I water them occasionally and they get huge and drop seeds. They grow perfectly fine in this weather. If they can handle this, they should do good in most any well drained soil.

They'll grow to about 3-4 feet and then grow a bulb at the top, which will sprout a 2 inch pom pom of flowers and then seed pods. At that point, the flavor suffers and the shoots start drying out and getting a bit woody. Use them while the shoots are about 1 foot for the best flavor, but if you want to grow some more, let some longer shoots grow and get pollinated. Save the seeds. You will never be short of green onion again in your life.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I found a raw milk farm and bought 2 gallons. God this stuff is good. Any cheese style recommendations for using this? I plan on making farmers cheese at least.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make a triple cream.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah, camembert types are the best raw milk cheeses. They're not too hard. Bring milk to temp, inoculate with culture, add rennett, stir, allow to set, cut curds, scoop curds into molds, flip every few hours for 12 hrs or so, transfer to box of ample humidity with adequate ventilation and place box in the fridge, flip once a week until cheese is covered with white. Eat.

if it gets spots of black, wipe off with a sterile towel dipped in a heavy saline solution.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 23, 2012

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
I don't think that this fits in the smoker thread, so I wanted to drop this here for advice:

I recently bought a 4 burner infrared grill, which I love, but I'm still getting used to the cooking process. As such, I tend to over/under estimate cooking times (I'll get there, just need some more trial runs). I'm making BBQ ribs for a party this weekend and, since I'm not confident in my ability to adjust the grill just yet, I want to start the ribs in the oven and finish on the grill.

However, I'm not finding any consistent cooking times/temps for the oven bit - does anyone have any general suggestions? Should I be looking at 275 or 300 F? For how long? Does it make a difference? Should I put yellow mustard on the ribs before applying the dry rub, or is that only useful for true smoking?

I'm making 4 racks of babyback ribs (dry rubbed and rested in the fridge overnight) if that helps. I'm thinking probably 15-20 minutes on the grill to finish (and to let the sauce caramelize) with a smoker box.

I'm open to any and all advice - I'm still very much a rib (and BBQ) newbie.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Cthulhumatic posted:

I don't think that this fits in the smoker thread, so I wanted to drop this here for advice:

I recently bought a 4 burner infrared grill, which I love, but I'm still getting used to the cooking process. As such, I tend to over/under estimate cooking times (I'll get there, just need some more trial runs). I'm making BBQ ribs for a party this weekend and, since I'm not confident in my ability to adjust the grill just yet, I want to start the ribs in the oven and finish on the grill.

However, I'm not finding any consistent cooking times/temps for the oven bit - does anyone have any general suggestions? Should I be looking at 275 or 300 F? For how long? Does it make a difference? Should I put yellow mustard on the ribs before applying the dry rub, or is that only useful for true smoking?

I'm making 4 racks of babyback ribs (dry rubbed and rested in the fridge overnight) if that helps. I'm thinking probably 15-20 minutes on the grill to finish (and to let the sauce caramelize) with a smoker box.

I'm open to any and all advice - I'm still very much a rib (and BBQ) newbie.

I've done this. The last, best, results I had doing this was to
- do a dry rub with flour and let it harden on them in the fridge.
- braise the ribs in a foil packet at 275 for about 2 hours,
- finish on a really hot grill while painting on sauce that was made from the braising liquid.

I really just adapted this Alton Brown's oven/broiler method. A broiler is an upside-down grill for all intensive porpoises. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html (his says 250 for 2.5 hours)

I put mustard in my sauce, but not my rub. That's just a taste thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I'm getting into the habit of cooking up some couscous and taking it in to work for lunch, but I'm growing tired of simple garlic, butter/olive oil, salt & pepper seasonings I've been doing.

What are some more traditional middle eastern spices I can use to bolster this? What about if I want to throw in some chicken or beef? I know it's a little vague, but I'm slowly learning to try new flavors.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

So I'm getting into the habit of cooking up some couscous and taking it in to work for lunch, but I'm growing tired of simple garlic, butter/olive oil, salt & pepper seasonings I've been doing.

What are some more traditional middle eastern spices I can use to bolster this? What about if I want to throw in some chicken or beef? I know it's a little vague, but I'm slowly learning to try new flavors.

If you put salt and pepper on your (not to large) pieces of meat, and cook them and set them aside for a little.
You could add a little extra olive oil to the pan, heat it up again, and sweat your onions or shallots, add some garlic, whatever you want to add to your couscous (BIG HIT: orange zest!!!! yum).
Then dump in the meat, add the couscous and liquid, prepare as usual...

(I seriously love orange zest in my couscous, it's such a nice surprise :-) )

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You can also add dried apricots sliced up, roasted almonds, parsley, cumin, clove, coriander, allsipce, cinnamon, cardomom, green and red chiles (SPICY!!) coconut...

Just google Moroccan Couscous, learn the spice combinations of northern Africa. They will blow your mind with their goodness.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Well, the (liquid) mustard doesn't really add any mustard taste. It's more for helping the rub stick than anything else.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mach420 posted:

Well, the (liquid) mustard doesn't really add any mustard taste. It's more for helping the rub stick than anything else.

I eventually started making my rubs into a thick paste rather than a straight dry rub because I'm too lazy for this step.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'm going to cook scallops for the first time tonight. Here's the twist, I'd like to make some sort of beer sauce. I have some nice Domaine Dupage French country ale, any tips on turning that into something I could use on the scallops?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Drink the ale while you prepare a lemon/butter/white wine sauce for the scallops. I've never been happy with cooking nicer beers because much of their character gets lost in the other ingredients. Make the scallops the star.

If you insist on the beer sauce, I'd personally try something like:

2-3 shallots small dice
1/2 apple medium dice
1/4 c ale
Heavy cream to taste

Cook shallot a bit, add apple for maybe 3 minutes (don't let it get too mushy), deglaze with ale, whisk in some cream to make it saucy.

If the apples are firm enough they'll give some textural contrast to the scallop, and would mellow out the ale enough (I'm guessing, I have never had that specific one).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone familiar with hemp seeds? I saw them at Costco and the founder write some copy on the bag about how he used to be fat but now he has energy, but it says a serving (3 Tbs) is 170 calories and 20% daily fat, mostly saturated

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They taste really good in granola.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I got a metric ton of various chili peppers from my csa today, too many to use before they start to turn. I think I've heard that freezing them whole doesn't hurt the taste and texture too much but I wanted to check first with someone who's done it before.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Safety Engineer posted:

I got a metric ton of various chili peppers from my csa today, too many to use before they start to turn. I think I've heard that freezing them whole doesn't hurt the taste and texture too much but I wanted to check first with someone who's done it before.

I like to roast, stem, and seed em. Then just toss em in freezer bags, freeze compact, and just pull em as I need em.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The texture will suffer but the taste will be fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do you guys use for vacuum sealing for sous vide? I am going to do the ziplock thing tomorrow but apparently this isn't good for long-term puddling.
Costco has a few food saver i believe and I looked at a few on amazon. How do you handle fluids that wouldn't freeze? In Under Pressure the author talks about some sweet sounding professional kitchen units but I'm sure those are 10 grand, I haven't really looked at them. I just want to be able to seal and perhaps integrate some neat things, not keeping track of 10 bag sizes would be nice.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

What is that, and how do I cook it?

EDIT: what should I do with enoki mushrooms?

I mince some garlic, a little ginger & small red chilis, maybe a shallot & mix with minced pork. Stuff the melon with it then cook for an hour or so in water* with a splash of soy sauce & fish sauce in it. Serve over rice.

* or even better some chicken stock.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

For years, I've known that I have a weaker sense of smell than average, and I also am worse at remembering specific smells and being able to recognize them later. I never really minded. However, I am now realizing (obviously) that works for taste as well.

What tips or exercises can you think of to help me improve my sense of taste both in absolute terms and also in being able to recognize tastes?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

branedotorg posted:

I mince some garlic, a little ginger & small red chilis, maybe a shallot & mix with minced pork. Stuff the melon with it then cook for an hour or so in water* with a splash of soy sauce & fish sauce in it. Serve over rice.

* or even better some chicken stock.

That sounds a lot like Rellenong Ampalaya, a Filipino stuffed bittermelon dish. Good stuff.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hed posted:

What do you guys use for vacuum sealing for sous vide? I am going to do the ziplock thing tomorrow but apparently this isn't good for long-term puddling.
Costco has a few food saver i believe and I looked at a few on amazon. How do you handle fluids that wouldn't freeze? In Under Pressure the author talks about some sweet sounding professional kitchen units but I'm sure those are 10 grand, I haven't really looked at them. I just want to be able to seal and perhaps integrate some neat things, not keeping track of 10 bag sizes would be nice.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/product.aspx?productid=54&deptid=4& is an $800 chamber sealer if you're serious about it, otherwise I cut off a fair bit of extra room on your foodsaver bags and seal them 2-3 times on each end. You can't reliably use liquids that won't freeze with that style of vacuum sealer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nifty posted:

For years, I've known that I have a weaker sense of smell than average, and I also am worse at remembering specific smells and being able to recognize them later. I never really minded. However, I am now realizing (obviously) that works for taste as well.

What tips or exercises can you think of to help me improve my sense of taste both in absolute terms and also in being able to recognize tastes?

I have the same problem, and the only thing I found that really helps me is tasting things side by side for immediate comparison. I'll buy two different kinds of olive oil and taste them side by side, for example, in order to identify the nuances and differences between the two.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a tin of chipotle chili's in adobo sauce and was wondering if I use them for something whats a good way of storing them. Getting them requires me going out of my way a bit. I'm guessing there is a decent mark up compared to getting them in the US, they were around £3.50 here.

Any recommendations what I can use them in other than chilli?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I find myself with a fresh rainbow trout for dinner. What's a good way to cook this? I've never had one before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a big veggie platter left over from a party this weekend (stuff like carrots, celery, grape tomatoes etc) and I'm trying to figure out how to eat them. I haven't used my crockpot in a while so I was thinking of making a stew or something like it using all those veggies. Seems like the obvious call is something like a chicken noodle soup, but those usually have too much broth for my taste (I like my soup a little more thick). Does anyone here have a favorite chicken noodle / veggie-[Meat] stew they could share with me?

E: Would I be crazy for chopping up all the veggies, throwing them with a few chicken breasts into my cooker, and covering them with beer? Because I suddenly had a flash of inspiration.

VV Just like chicken broth or something?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2012

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I would probably add a little broth of some sort too, so it's not just beer. But that sounds pretty tasty.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jose posted:

I've got a tin of chipotle chili's in adobo sauce and was wondering if I use them for something whats a good way of storing them. Getting them requires me going out of my way a bit. I'm guessing there is a decent mark up compared to getting them in the US, they were around £3.50 here.

I make a pasta thing with chipotles in adobo that I like. Brown some butter in a saucier or whatever. Hit it with some cream, let it warm up, then when it's warm but not simmering add some smoked gouda or p. reggiano. Figure like two Tbsp of butter to half a cup of cream and a couple Tbsp of finely grated cheese. When that's come together, throw in your chipotles sliced really thin, like you're chiffonading them, along with a Tbsp or so of the adobo sauce. Let that set up while you boil some pasta, I tend to use penne or mostaccioli, and sear off really rare a piece of beef like a NY strip or something. When the beef is seared, cut it really thin across the grain. When the pasta's done, toss it with the sauce, plate it, lay the strips of beef on top, and then drizzle with a little bit of the remaining sauce and top with some crumbles of a salty young goat cheese like būcheron. You can throw in some crushed red pepper if the chipotles aren't giving the sauce enough warmth.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
In regards making popcorn, is there any reason why one couldn't just pour a suitable amount of kernels (and butter) in a regular bowl with a fitting plate on top and then cook it in the microwave?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Toss a handful of kernels into a small brown paper lunch bag and microwave it.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Toss a handful of kernels into a small brown paper lunch bag and microwave it.

Oh I know and thank you for taking the time to reply, I guess I'm just wondering in general, but also, what would be the benefit of a paper bag over a bowl and a plate? :)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hed posted:

By "the ziplock thing" do you mean a regular recloseable bag, or the Ziplock brand vacuum seal bags? The latter are a good compromise for ocassional puddling. They're regular bags with a one-way valve. They're sold with a little hand pump that you can use to suck the air out of the bag. No worrying about freezing your liquids. I puddle maybe six times a year and I would have little other use for a vacuum sealer, so it's a good system for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jose posted:

I like to put any leftovers in a little ziploc freezer bag and store it in the freezer. Any time I want to add some delicious smokiness and heat to something, I take it out and use it on my box grater like a block of cheese. The little shreds basically melt into whatever I'm cooking and I find it helps to liven up a lot of different recipes.