Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

VerySolidSnake posted:

You had me at "long lasting battery". Is there a good spot with step by step directions on getting this all setup from a stock Verizon Gnex?

My experience with android modding forums usually goes something like this:

Them: You just need to GTSASD v1.0111.143 the RAADD
Me: What is a GTSAD?
Them: GTSAD v1.0111.143 is just an extension off AJDNKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1
Me: Where can I find AJDKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1?
Them: Do a search in the forums.

So I search and all the threads I find are:

First Post: Where can I find AJDKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1?

Are you rooted already? If so, it's simple. If not, it's still pretty simple also. Just let me know and one of the many of us can explain. This one doesnt require much knowledge of anything, thankfully.
That rom is great btw, I just flashed it last night. Very snappy along with that kernel. No comment on the battery life though. Unlike other roms, it has options menu's for everything on the stock rom-- lockscreen, boot, performance. I came from stock 4.0.4 and then Gummy Nex and this is an improvement on both.

Also, when are we going to get official CM9's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VerySolidSnake posted:

My experience with android modding forums usually goes something like this:

Them: You just need to GTSASD v1.0111.143 the RAADD
Me: What is a GTSAD?
Them: GTSAD v1.0111.143 is just an extension off AJDNKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1
Me: Where can I find AJDKDLSNF v9.2.5.32342.1?
I am lazy and didn't get you the exact link but AndroidForums generally have pretty easily to follow idiot guides to rooting and flashing. For the GNex it's about as easy as it can be. There are also some one-click tools on XDA that will do it all for you as long as you can get the USB drivers installed correctly.

If you get stuck, try posting on AndroidForums (or here, obviously). While the AF userbase is also somewhat immature, people are generally friendlier and will actually answer your questions without the snarky "do a search" replies of XDA.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

Also, when are we going to get official CM9's?

The long and short answer of this question is "Whenever manufacturers release official updates/source code and it can either be adapted to current SoC's or backported to older ones"

Any guesses as to timeframes will purely be conjecture at this point.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

yamdankee posted:

8) Turn off the phone, boot into bootloader menu by holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN and POWER at the same time. Then press VOL DOWN, then POWER to enter CWM Recovery.

Followed all the instructions successfully up until this point. CWM Recovery is not an option, all there is is "Recovery". When I go into that it shows a small android guy with a red exclamation mark over his stomach. How do I get into that to install the custom roms?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

Followed all the instructions successfully up until this point. CWM Recovery is not an option, all there is is "Recovery". When I go into that it shows a small android guy with a red exclamation mark over his stomach. How do I get into that to install the custom roms?
Clockwork Recovery hasn't been flashed. No idea how to do that with whatever toolkit you're using.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Alright got it flashed and following the instructions did a update from zip for Liquid ICS v1.1. Everything seemed to go fine, I rebooted the phone and it was stuck in the new boot animation for about 10 minutes. I pulled the battery and started it back up, and now I'm still stuck on the boot animation. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

Alright got it flashed and following the instructions did a update from zip for Liquid ICS v1.1. Everything seemed to go fine, I rebooted the phone and it was stuck in the new boot animation for about 10 minutes. I pulled the battery and started it back up, and now I'm still stuck on the boot animation. Any ideas?
Did you wipe?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

VerySolidSnake posted:

When I put ICS on my Sensation, I had to update the firmware to an ICS-compatible version or it would bootloop. Did you do the same?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

LastInLine posted:

Did you wipe?

Nope. Thanks

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
So I'm looking for a ROM for my wife's Evo 4G. She's running Fresh 4.3.3.

I'd prefer a Sense based ROM that's sort of still maintained, and is stable. If there's not really anything I may try putting Cyanogen on that I've seen mentioned the last few pages.

For some reason it's practically out of space on the Fresh 4.3.3 with all but a very few apps (maybe 7 or 8 that are pretty small) that need to be in the internal memory such as widgets/launcher. That, the sort of bad battery life, and it dropping calls frequently are why I'm wanting to try a new one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uapyro posted:

I'd prefer a Sense based ROM that's sort of still maintained, and is stable. If there's not really anything I may try putting Cyanogen on that I've seen mentioned the last few pages.

For some reason it's practically out of space on the Fresh 4.3.3 with all but a very few apps (maybe 7 or 8 that are pretty small) that need to be in the internal memory such as widgets/launcher. That, the sort of bad battery life, and it dropping calls frequently are why I'm wanting to try a new one.
With CM you can use s2e to implement a2sd. If you have a sufficiently fast SD card, you could even move the app data.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

With CM you can use s2e to implement a2sd. If you have a sufficiently fast SD card, you could even move the app data.

I've got everything that Titanium Backup lists was being internal moved over, minus the few things that I know wouldn't be a good idea. As for speeds, it's a basic 4 or 8 GB Sandisk card that doesn't list speeds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uapyro posted:

I've got everything that Titanium Backup lists was being internal moved over, minus the few things that I know wouldn't be a good idea. As for speeds, it's a basic 4 or 8 GB Sandisk card that doesn't list speeds.
No, that's using standard Froyo a2sd. s2e symlinks the stuff that resides internally to an EXT partition on your SD of whatever size you set so that it looks internal to the OS but it's actually on the SD card. It will still use some internal space but in my experience it's about 1/5 the space of not doing it. I'd just move applications and Dalvik to the SD using s2e and see how much that helps although again it only works in CM.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Has anyone tried the Modaco rom for the Kindle Fire? It's been a while since I was on stock but there was an issue with the interface blocking the player controls in Spotify. Curious if this is an issue in the Modaco rom as well. I've been using various ICS roms but I'm getting tired of the quirkiness.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why is there no Liquid for the Thunderbolt? :smith:

Looks awesome.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

uapyro posted:

I'm interested in this as well, for my girlfriend's EVO. I was thinking of the ICS Deck rom, but I don't know if they've gotten most of the kinks worked out. I like ICS enough that I'd apply it to her phone if its mostly bug-free.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Why is there no Liquid for the Thunderbolt? :smith:

Looks awesome.

You mean this? - http://liquidsmoothroms.com/node/74

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ProjektorBoy posted:

You mean this? - http://liquidsmoothroms.com/node/74

That site hasn't been updated since January, and the ROM is from November... that's really as recent as it gets? :smith:

Edit:
And another question for Nook people... flashed that preferred version of CM7 onto my NC, didn't have any issues with that, but the drat thing is now freezing constantly and requiring hard resets, no idea why. Usually happens within 5 minutes of reboot. It was fine when I first flashed it, but it was refusing to charge, so I rebooted it and suddenly the screen wasn't registering long presses. I reflashed the whole thing fresh, and now this is the problem... anyone have any solutions/alternatives?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 24, 2012

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

I'm interested in this as well, for my girlfriend's EVO. I was thinking of the ICS Deck rom, but I don't know if they've gotten most of the kinks worked out. I like ICS enough that I'd apply it to her phone if its mostly bug-free.

I was at the same point, Fresh 4.3.3 with no update to the 4.67 release in sight. I loaded CM 7.2 RC1 on it a few days ago and HOLY poo poo it's so much better. Seriously, I'm okay with Sense and I don't miss it in the slightest. It's about as responsive, but I forgot how much I missed all the tweaks available (I had CM7.1 on my CDMA Hero) plus the battery life is incredible. I got 16 hours yesterday using 4G, two hours of GPS (Strava), Pandora, games, texting, calls, etc.

Seriously, don't wait for stable ICS on the Evo. Just load up the official CM7.2 and enjoy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

I'm using ICS Deck Pre-Beta 8 and its not bad at all. From what I can see it has full HWA and the camera works fine. Its probably the best you can get when it comes to ICS on the EVO.

However I'd probably go with CM7.2 if you want something that truly works.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've mentioned the CM9 for AT&T SGS2 ROM a number of times here, but I'm just mentioning it again because it has reached "ready for use without annoying flaws" in it's March 23 build.

Among the features:
* the CPU can enter deep sleep and preserve battery life properly now
* USB mounting works
* A few random apps that crashed all over the place (i.e. Chrome) now work as they should

Bugs that affect all versions of CM9 (such as no Facebook contact syncing) still exist as it's up to the CM devs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Getting my SGN in the mail probably on Monday. What's the best rom to use? CM?

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I had to go back to a deodexed stock rom on my Droid X because every ICS build I've tried has not been consistently able to make audio work in calls. They're great otherwise, especially MIUI ICS, but not being able to make calls is a pretty big deal breaker.

This phone is dumb. Motorola :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Skeezy posted:

I'm using ICS Deck Pre-Beta 8 and its not bad at all. From what I can see it has full HWA and the camera works fine. Its probably the best you can get when it comes to ICS on the EVO.

However I'd probably go with CM7.2 if you want something that truly works.

Does the screen show the camera view as you're taking a picture?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Does the screen show the camera view as you're taking a picture?

Yep. It works pretty good now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hrm... thought I had fixed m Nook issues by upping the voltages on the throttle settings in Nook Tweaks, but then it just froze up again after about 15-20 min this time while doing something mundane as hell (opening Beautiful Widgets' settings to tweak my clock skin) after having been using Netflix, Opera, and Draw Something without issue prior to that. What the hell... really at a loss as to why it's happening.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Skeezy posted:

Yep. It works pretty good now.

Thanks. I'll take a nandroid of my gf's phone and flash tonight. Any firmware issues to be aware of? I know that I had to a flash an ICS-compatible firmware to my Sensation before it would boot with an ICS rom.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Flashed CM 7.2 RC1 onto my G2 last night. All of the performance problems I've been having for the last couple of months are gone. This'll do fine until there's a good ICS rom out there.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
It looks like the Virtuous Rom team has dropped an ICS Sense 4 rom based off of the HTC One V called "Primadonna". Hopefully there will be continued development to move it out of "experimental" status. Looking at the bug tracker there are quite a few issues so keep this in mind. Support is for: Desire Z/G2, Desire HD, Inspire 4G, My Touch 4G, Desire S, Incredible S.

It also looks like they're not supporting XDA forums anymore and have moved completely over to RootzWiki.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Thanks. I'll take a nandroid of my gf's phone and flash tonight. Any firmware issues to be aware of? I know that I had to a flash an ICS-compatible firmware to my Sensation before it would boot with an ICS rom.

Nope, just flash the newest one (found here: http://d-h.st/2cc) and have a blast. It already has GApps built into it so don't worry about it.

Some things of note are that the browser is extremely slow for me, and MMS (on the stock SMS app) doesn't work. You can send photos and stuff but you cannot receive. However downloading an alternate SMS app (GO SMS Pro, Handcent, etc) fixes it.

ICS Deck is still good yeah, but it's still a little finicky at times to be considered perfect. Depending on what you need to do it works fine though, and as of now is definitely the best ICS rom the EVO has. I'll probably be going back to the RC of CM7.2.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
What steps should I follow going from Fresh 4.3.3 to the CM 7.2 build on my EVO?

Any advice?

I've never switched from Fresh, but I want to try out CM.

I'm nervous about switching ROMs :ohdear:

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 25, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Krime posted:

What steps should I follow going from Fresh 4.3.3 to the CM 7.2 build on my EVO?

Any advice?

I've never switched from Fresh, but I want to try out CM.

I'm nervous about switching ROMs :ohdear:

TI backup app settings if you want, then start up CWM and do a Nandroid, factory reset (clear system/data/dalvik), flash CM, flash gapps, restart phone, done!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to install Cyanogen 9 Alpha 2 on my Touchpad. Touchpad has never been tinkered with previously. I've been following this guide:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HP_Touchpad:_Full_Update_Guide

and I come to a complete dead-end when trying to complete steps 9-10 of the ClockworkMod install. My computer simply refuses to recognize my Touchpad when USB booting. The Touchpad is recognized by my Vista 64-bit system when connected normally, but not with the 'Power+Volume Up' boot. When I try to install ACMEInstaller via command line, I get an error message of 'unable to find device'.

Sidenote: every time I connect via USB in the normal way, I can add/drop files to the Touchpad but Windows will still attempt to find the correct driver and eventually give me an error message.

I have tried installing the generic universal novacom driver, as some rootzwiki threads have suggested, but no luck. I simply cannot get my computer to see the Touchpad in USB mode so I can install Clockwork and all the other goodies. Extensive Googling has failed me. This is my last hope before resigning myself to WebOS Island. Thanks bros.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 25, 2012

Roswell
Mar 18, 2006

jiggaman0204 posted:

I'm trying to install Cyanogen 9 Alpha 2 on my Touchpad. Touchpad has never been tinkered with previously. I've been following this guide:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HP_Touchpad:_Full_Update_Guide

and I come to a complete dead-end when trying to complete steps 9-10 of the ClockworkMod install. My computer simply refuses to recognize my Touchpad when USB booting. The Touchpad is recognized by my Vista 64-bit system when connected normally, but not with the 'Power+Volume Up' boot. When I try to install ACMEInstaller via command line, I get an error message of 'unable to find device'.

Sidenote: every time I connect via USB in the normal way, I can add/drop files to the Touchpad but Windows will still attempt to find the correct driver and eventually give me an error message.

I have tried installing the generic universal novacom driver, as some rootzwiki threads have suggested, but no luck. I simply cannot get my computer to see the Touchpad in USB mode so I can install Clockwork and all the other goodies. Extensive Googling has failed me. This is my last hope before resigning myself to WebOS Island. Thanks bros.

When I reboot and hold power plus vol. up, then plug in, my computer does not recognize the touchpad as a disk drive. I think it enters a debug mode, but does not mount anything.

I found this:
"Got it to go. Working on a mac and when I extract ACMEInstaller, it puts a folder in the same folder as novacom, so the actual ACMEInstaller file is one directory level down still. Had to bring it up to the same level as novacom and it worked just fine."
Do you have ACMEInstaller in the correct directory?

Also, for CM9 I thought you needed to use ACMEInstaller2?

Edit: More stuff to try: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17737-helpunable-to-find-device-really-frustrated-tried-everything/

Roswell fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 25, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

TI backup app settings if you want, then start up CWM and do a Nandroid, factory reset (clear system/data/dalvik), flash CM, flash gapps, restart phone, done!

I followed these directions and get a boot loop.

I get the logo screen anroid on the skateboard

Then

It looks to start and says welcome to pc36100 touch the android to begin and then force reboots

Wash, rinse, repeat :(

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Krime posted:

I followed these directions and get a boot loop.

I get the logo screen anroid on the skateboard

Then

It looks to start and says welcome to pc36100 touch the android to begin and then force reboots

Wash, rinse, repeat :(

Usually that happens when you don't clear everything. Try clearing system, and cache and those again (I can't remember exactly what all you clear, but if you're using clockwork mod, they're all right next to each other).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Usually that happens when you don't clear everything. Try clearing system, and cache and those again (I can't remember exactly what all you clear, but if you're using clockwork mod, they're all right next to each other).
You want to clear data/cache/Dalvik.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Figured out what was wrong with my Nook... apparently Beautiful Widgets hates CM7 and is unusable. :qq:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Figured out what was wrong with my Nook... apparently Beautiful Widgets hates CM7 and is unusable. :qq:

I'm running Beautiful Widgets as well and trying to do CM7... reason for my boot loops?

Haven't tried the above recommendations yet, though. Just trying to head something off at the pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Krime posted:

I'm running Beautiful Widgets as well and trying to do CM7... reason for my boot loops?

Haven't tried the above recommendations yet, though. Just trying to head something off at the pass.

It's a Nook specific problem, if you're on a phone I have no idea what the problem is. It's also only on CM7.1 or 7.2, not 7.0.