Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Fuzz posted:

It's a Nook specific problem, if you're on a phone I have no idea what the problem is. It's also only on CM7.1 or 7.2, not 7.0.

Ok, thanks... Figured it was worth a mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Skeezy posted:

Nope, just flash the newest one (found here: http://d-h.st/2cc) and have a blast. It already has GApps built into it so don't worry about it.

Well that experiment lasted all of 24 hours. The rom is nice, but the performance was severely lacking. We're back to MikG for now. She's used to it and likes it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Getting my SGN in the mail probably on Monday. What's the best rom to use? CM?

AOKP (Milestone 4) is as stable and battery-friendly as any I've tried and has tons of great features:

- notification toggles
- search button (long press for voice actions)
- T9 dialer
- faster autorotate
- 180 degrees autorotate
- lockscreen shortcuts
- real full screen (you can turn navbar on and off in power control)
- other customization options like statusbar clock position / color

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CM9 on the Sensation now has working video recording.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Roswell posted:

When I reboot and hold power plus vol. up, then plug in, my computer does not recognize the touchpad as a disk drive. I think it enters a debug mode, but does not mount anything.

I found this:
"Got it to go. Working on a mac and when I extract ACMEInstaller, it puts a folder in the same folder as novacom, so the actual ACMEInstaller file is one directory level down still. Had to bring it up to the same level as novacom and it worked just fine."
Do you have ACMEInstaller in the correct directory?

Also, for CM9 I thought you needed to use ACMEInstaller2?

Edit: More stuff to try: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17737-helpunable-to-find-device-really-frustrated-tried-everything/

Thanks a lot for your help. You really saved the day. My Novacom drivers were all messed up. Reinstalling allowed my computer to see my Touchpad in recovery mode. Everything went great, and CM9 is a go.

Thanks again!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

It looks like they're still tweaking things on the firmware side, but this is awesome news. I'll probably give it a run this coming weekend. Funny that a near stable CM9 was delivered while kmobs stayed silent and didn't release poo poo on his own.

e: After reading the XDA thread, it looks like it has some wakelock and bluetooth issues other than those stated in the OP, but this is super promising news. Still hoping to try it next weekend.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Funny that a near stable CM9 was delivered while kmobs stayed silent and didn't release poo poo on his own.

The best thing I ever did for myself was unfollowing that rear end in a top hat on all my social media stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Uhng, the Skyrocket ICS rom leaked and I get to drool over it while XDA bricks all of their T-989's trying to get it to run on those.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Alright, I have a question, for other people using a gnex with the liquid smooth rom, can you send mms? I have been trying to figure out why they won't send and I'm just realizing it coincides with me flashing the rom from stock :v: probably related somehow.

edit : I got go sms pro and its letting me mms from that :iiam:

blackflare fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 27, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Anyone with a Nook Color - is CM9 a "daily driver" yet, or should I stick with CM7.2 for now? Stability and functionality is a priority.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Civil posted:

Anyone with a Nook Color - is CM9 a "daily driver" yet, or should I stick with CM7.2 for now? Stability and functionality is a priority.

I ran cm9 for a few hours (from sd) and it seemed ok (from what I could tell in a short time) except I couldn't get flash to work.

If you want to try it out from sd and not have to do backups or anything you have to find verygreen's "size agnostic SD cm7 installer" thread and, it's not in the op but sometime between jan and now someone posted a modified version of verygreens sd image that had a bigger /boot that can fit cm9 size zips.

edit: here's the thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 27, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Don't do any of that; the OS can work incredibly bad or not at all depending on the SD's speed class and brand, and is not a good way to judge performance. Instead make a bootable Clockwork Mod Recovery SD Card, back everything up, and install CM9 to the Nook directly. Yes, CM9 is very daily driveable on a Nook, I use it. It's not like a phone where you need MMS and 3G and all that crap. Just Wifi and the basic hardware, which they nailed pretty well on the nightlies.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zero VGS posted:

Don't do any of that; the OS can work incredibly bad or not at all depending on the SD's speed class and brand, and is not a good way to judge performance. Instead make a bootable Clockwork Mod Recovery SD Card, back everything up, and install CM9 to the Nook directly. Yes, CM9 is very daily driveable on a Nook, I use it. It's not like a phone where you need MMS and 3G and all that crap. Just Wifi and the basic hardware, which they nailed pretty well on the nightlies.

I've been running CM7 on mine and digging it, really been thinking about upping to 9, depending on performance. How does Beautiful Www run on it? Because our crashes on CM7.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Uh I have no idea what that is. The stock browser and Nova launcher work great for me though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Uh I have no idea what that is. The stock browser and Nova launcher work great for me though.

Beautiful Widgets. Swype has a loving retarded dictionary.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fuzz posted:

Beautiful Widgets. Swype has a loving retarded dictionary.

It helps to actually drag your finger on the correct letters in order for Swype to recognize the word you want to spell. Plus, proofreading. Same concept as using an actual keyboard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nimper posted:

It helps to actually drag your finger on the correct letters in order for Swype to recognize the word you want to spell. Plus, proofreading. Same concept as using an actual keyboard.

Thanks, mom!

It was more a commentary to Swype having widget in its dictionary in previous versions, but this latest build has it (and many other words I used often, meanwhile they added a bunch of useless proper names, many of which have traces that coincide with much more commonly used words, but those have lower priority :iiam: ) omitted. Its almost enough to make me stop using the drat thing, but I've gotten so used to the motions I can't go back to lovely old thumb typing. Who knows why they thought the change was a good idea, but the last major update is markedly different from older builds.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fuzz posted:

Thanks, mom!

It was more a commentary to Swype having widget in its dictionary in previous versions, but this latest build has it (and many other words I used often, meanwhile they added a bunch of useless proper names, many of which have traces that coincide with much more commonly used words, but those have lower priority :iiam: ) omitted. Its almost enough to make me stop using the drat thing, but I've gotten so used to the motions I can't go back to lovely old thumb typing. Who knows why they thought the change was a good idea, but the last major update is markedly different from older builds.

I use the Swype beta as well but I haven't noticed the new proper names conflicting with actual words, at least not to any great extent. It works pretty well unless I'm just not paying any sort of attention to the letters.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
The most fun part of swype is using it on a Nexus One like I have. Sometimes the multitouch just goes INSANE and it swypes some crazy things... its like a game I can never stop playing until I but a new phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Civil posted:

The latest nightlies with OpenGL finally feel like they can be used as a DD. I haven't spent a ton of time with it though because I'm selling my NC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

datajosh posted:

The latest nightlies with OpenGL finally feel like they can be used as a DD. I haven't spent a ton of time with it though because I'm selling my NC.

Any particular reason why?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Fuzz posted:

Any particular reason why?
Need the money, plus since I have a SGS2 as my primary phone, the NC feels kinda slow in comparison.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fuzz posted:

Thanks, mom!

Every time I try to type "K." and then hit space to start typing a new sentence it replaces it with "K.D. Lang". What the gently caress is she doing in my cell phone dictionary? When would that ever be useful Swype, when?

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Every time I try to type "K." and then hit space to start typing a new sentence it replaces it with "K.D. Lang". What the gently caress is she doing in my cell phone dictionary? When would that ever be useful Swype, when?

Swype goes through your GMail history to build its dictionary, and maybe your other Google accounts too. You probably wrote or received an email about K.D. Lang at some point.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

k.d. lang shouldn't be capitalized. Swype!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
4.0.4 is being pushed to AOSP as we speak. We should start seeing it in CM9 builds in the next couple of days.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups!topic/android-building/YoBlTfntDvo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Arob1000 posted:

Swype goes through your GMail history to build its dictionary, and maybe your other Google accounts too. You probably wrote or received an email about K.D. Lang at some point.

I have never in my life had a reason to discuss K.D. Lang, and have never received an email about her either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never in my life had a reason to discuss K.D. Lang, and have never received an email about her either.

Have you ever had any constant cravings?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys the port of skyrocket ics to T-989 works amazingly well (far as I can tell) and you should all install it. Posting from it now. Everything works except auto rotate and Tmobile specific poo poo like wifi calling. Obviously nandroid first and you need to reflash superuser but yeah I got everything reinstalled. Nova launcher negates most of the touchwiz shittiness.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I have no idea who k.d. lang is. Is that some creepily obscure artist like Bjork?

My friends that own SGS2 & HTC Sensations have all been raving about ICS while I'm still patiently waiting for CM9. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Odette posted:

I have no idea who k.d. lang is. Is that some creepily obscure artist like Bjork?
Canadian singer that sort of straddles pop and folk-country at the same time. Also a lesbian, but not a hugely controversial one or anything. At least not since the late 80s when she would cover "Johnny Get Angry", a song about an abusive spouse, by pantomiming getting knocked down cold on-stage.

She performed at the opening ceremonies of the last Olympics, where she looked like an pleasantly overweight man.

quote:

My friends that own SGS2 & HTC Sensations have all been raving about ICS while I'm still patiently waiting for CM9. :(

You'll get there soon, perhaps? I realized that for as long as we waited, it's been, what, four months for a lot of major devices to get ICS? Froyo was almost six in some cases.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've got CM9 on my TouchPad (the first official nightly from a couple of days ago) which was running perfectly aside from the known limitations. I've just installed Task Changer Pro and it seemed to lock up the device.

I can reboot by long pressing the power and home buttons, but Task Changer Pro runs at startup within 5 seconds of entering my password and locks the UI again. The power button still works to turn off/on the screen (including the new screen-off animation), and after turning the screen on again I can enter my password to 'unlock' the device, but the UI immediately locks up again as the lock screen fades away.

Being relatively new to Android and not having done any troubleshooting before I don't really know what to do here. I can get to ClockworkMod from the boot screen so could wipe/reinstall, but obviously I'd rather avoid that. I can also boot into WebOS if there's anything I could do from there, but can't access the Android partition as far as I know. Any suggestions?

Fixed it by uninstalling the app over ADB.

Froist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I haven't quite bricked my Nook Color, but something is all hosed up.

Was running CM7 (the last Mirage build, not the RC11) and I decided to try out the LCD density app off the marketplace (the Nook specific one) and it ran just fine, but then I got sidetracked and before I could reboot the Nook (I thought I already had) I used the Nook Screen recalibration app (which I have used before and worked fine). Now when I boot the thing up, it gets the initial Cyanogen loading screen, but then it flashes white for a millisecond and sits on a black screen. I can hard shutdown the thing and then reboot and get back into CWM Recovery just fine, and decided to try a full system wipe and flashing both the last CM9 nightly and the CM7 RC1, as well as the Mirage build... does the same thing with all of them. The Cyanoboot loader shows for the CM9 Nightly, but yeah... same flash of white, then it just sits. All of these are installed on the internal memory, and I do the full factory wipe/cache wipe with every install, but yeah... it just refuses to do anything. Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's not totally bricked, because I can still get into Recovery, but yeah... pretty worthless otherwise.

Unfortunately I don't have adb setup over USB to try to pull a log... it refused to work on my laptop. Gonna try and see if my desktop will play nice later tonight or over the weekend, because that's what a guy in the xda channel said would be most helpful, but anyone on here maybe have something similar happen and know a quick fix?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Does anyone know what the status is regarding ICS on Samsung Galaxy S phones? I know there are working ICS roms for it but is there any benefit to switching to 4.0? Or are there still some kinks that need to be worked out?

Do older phones like the Galaxy S get any performance benefit from ICS?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Couple of questions, I read a couple of pages back and didn't see anything, so I hope these are ok:

1) Is there still a free tethering app that lets you use your dedicated data plan for your phone rather than the bullshit wifi hotspot nonsense that costs an arm and a leg?

2) I have a Droid X, and opinions apparently vary wildly on whether or not I can install CM7 on it. Anyone with experience able to comment on its usability?

Thanks!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

StickFigs posted:

Does anyone know what the status is regarding ICS on Samsung Galaxy S phones? I know there are working ICS roms for it but is there any benefit to switching to 4.0? Or are there still some kinks that need to be worked out?

Do older phones like the Galaxy S get any performance benefit from ICS?

Since the Galaxy S is basically a hardware clone of the Nexus S, ICS roms for the entire Galaxy S lineup are quite mature and relatively bug-free since they are based on the Nexus kernel sources. You get all the cool features and there is probably some performance boost. There's no reason not to try it out!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

InstantInfidel posted:

Couple of questions, I read a couple of pages back and didn't see anything, so I hope these are ok:

1) Is there still a free tethering app that lets you use your dedicated data plan for your phone rather than the bullshit wifi hotspot nonsense that costs an arm and a leg?

2) I have a Droid X, and opinions apparently vary wildly on whether or not I can install CM7 on it. Anyone with experience able to comment on its usability?

Thanks!

1) Android-Wifi-Tether

2) This should get you started. There's even CM9 apparently if you're feeling adventurous.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Thanks, I think I even saw that article on Rootzwiki :cripesduck:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So, since 4.0.4 is rolling out to GSM Galaxy Nexi, I should probably wait until there is a pre-rooted update before updating since I am rooted? I am still running stock 4.0.2 rooted with CWM installed, so I assume I can't do an OTA update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

So, since 4.0.4 is rolling out to GSM Galaxy Nexi, I should probably wait until there is a pre-rooted update before updating since I am rooted? I am still running stock 4.0.2 rooted with CWM installed, so I assume I can't do an OTA update.
As long as your bootloader is unlocked you should just be able to install Superuser onto the stock ROM, as far as I know. Either way you can easily flash back if it's not what you want. Take a Nandroid as always.