Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
I have a pork sirloin roast, about 1.5lbs worth. How long do I cook it for? Any recipe suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Crossposting from the A/T Stupid/Small Questions Megathread:

This is probably something I should have figured out a long time ago, but... what food goes in the refrigerator? I recently noticed that if I put onions in the refrigerator, they'll get soggy and moldy pretty dang quick, but if I leave them out, they'll stay good for a long time. Same deal with garlic and ginger. I'm not terribly sure on whether it's better to leave out fruit, such as apples and oranges, or refrigerate them. Is there some sort of easy rule-of-thumb for what should go in the fridge and what shouldn't, or is this something that I'm going to have to trial-and-error my way through?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Jose posted:

I've got a tin of chipotle chili's in adobo sauce and was wondering if I use them for something whats a good way of storing them. Getting them requires me going out of my way a bit. I'm guessing there is a decent mark up compared to getting them in the US, they were around £3.50 here.

Any recommendations what I can use them in other than chilli?

I get the same thing for about $1 for a small tin, I transfer them to a glass jar and they keep for months in the fridge.

Make black bean burritos, chop chipotles and add to the beans together with a few spoons of adobo, it'll give it a divine smokey flavour and you won't even need to add meat to your burrito anymore

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

This is probably something I should have figured out a long time ago, but... what food goes in the refrigerator?
The best clue lies in how the grocery store was storing the produce. If the produce is just out in the air in regular bins, don't refrigerate when you get it home. If the produce is in a temperature-controlled area (often just a shelf which has AC and a mister), then generally you'll want to refrigerate it when you get home. If you're not sure, you can ask the grocer for help on a specific item.

Of course, if you're getting your vegetables from open-air markets that don't store anything differently from anything else... generally, fruits with unbroken skin don't require refrigeration. Once you cut them, put them in a container or put plastic over them and refrigerate. Greens should generally be kept in the crisper, which is the drawer in your fridge which is meant to keep the air a bit more humid than the rest of your fridge.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anybody know how to successfully cook a chicken breast in a George Foreman grill? Whenever I put them in there, the skin crusts really quickly while the inside stays below 140F (and I'm supposed to be aiming for like 160 right?). I usually just rub a thin coat of olive oil over the breast before putting it in--should I be using something different?

Also, would shallots that I've had in the fridge for a little more than 2 weeks still be good?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Captain Payne posted:

Does anybody know how to successfully cook a chicken breast in a George Foreman grill? Whenever I put them in there, the skin crusts really quickly while the inside stays below 140F (and I'm supposed to be aiming for like 160 right?). I usually just rub a thin coat of olive oil over the breast before putting it in--should I be using something different?

Also, would shallots that I've had in the fridge for a little more than 2 weeks still be good?

Does it have a temp control? If not, you're doing it right with olive oil and salt, but you should butterfly the breast if it's too thick and it comes out too charred on the outside. Butterflying or pounding it with one of those tenderizer hammers will thin it out and help it cook faster and more evenly.

If the shallots aren't moldy, slimy, or reminiscent of a really dry raisin, they're fine.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mach420 posted:

Does it have a temp control? If not, you're doing it right with olive oil and salt, but you should butterfly the breast if it's too thick and it comes out too charred on the outside. Butterflying or pounding it with one of those tenderizer hammers will thin it out and help it cook faster and more evenly.

If the shallots aren't moldy, slimy, or reminiscent of a really dry raisin, they're fine.

No it doesn't have a temp control. I'll try flattening it out next time, thanks!

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

That sounds a lot like Rellenong Ampalaya, a Filipino stuffed bittermelon dish. Good stuff.

The Thai chefs at work & my Viet almost-mother-in-law both make it with just the garlic, I assume it's a comfort food for them but I'd rather ramp up the flavour a bit.
Is the Filipino one hot-ish?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Didion posted:

Oh I know and thank you for taking the time to reply, I guess I'm just wondering in general, but also, what would be the benefit of a paper bag over a bowl and a plate? :)
Popcorn is cheap enough that you could give it a shot and see if it works.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Why do onions do better unrefrigerated, but shallots are always in the cooler at the grocery store?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Why do onions do better unrefrigerated, but shallots are always in the cooler at the grocery store?

Are they? I never see alliums in the chiller.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I kept shallots in the fridge and nothing bad happened to them. It's hard to keep a 20lbs bag of onions in the fridge though

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You wouldn't want to anyway, as we were saying they get mealy faster in refrigeration, like apples. Moldy faster too.

Casu Marzu posted:

Are they? I never see alliums in the chiller.

Yeah, by the mushrooms and hot peppers etc.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

News to me. I always find shallots by the garlic

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's always possible the produce guy at my local grocery is an idiot poorly-informed. :v:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Splizwarf posted:

It's always possible the produce guy at my local grocery is an idiot poorly-informed. :v:

Yes, your produce guy is definitely challenged :~)

I did see hot peppers in the fridge of my supermarket as well, and that´s not necessary either, but at least that´s not a harmful thing to do.

The most important thing to keep in your fridge though, is beer

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's why I have a second fridge. :colbert:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I am currently attempting to make a sour dough starter using Reinhart's recipe from his book. I am in between day 3 and 4, where the starter is supposed to come close to doubling before doing the final refresh before making the mother starter/barm. I did the day 3 refresh on Saturday around 5pm. The book says to wait 24 hours and refresh if it is already doubled, if not, wait up to another 24 hours and then refresh if it is doubled.

So in about 4 hours I will be reaching 48 hours since my day 3 refresh, didnt know if I should refresh it anyways once I hit 48 hours, or continue to wait until it grows more? I am lucky if it went up 1/8th of a cup for the around 1 and 1/3 cup of starter I have. It is around 70* in my kitchen, if that matters.

I also came across one of Reinhart's blog posts today saying to stir the starter every few hours to help aerate the starter, which I did this morning. When I did this, it went back down to the original 1 and 1/3 cup that I started with.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 26, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think either way you will end up with a starter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Feel like having a go at Katsu Curry. As I understand it, I can make panko breadcrumb with normal bread (sans crust) in a blender or with a cheese grater followed by drying in the oven on a low heat. Confirm?

But I also want to get the rice right. The rice I have in restaurants is nothing like what I get boiling long grain at home. Am I using the wrong kind, or would steaming it make the difference?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Feel like having a go at Katsu Curry. As I understand it, I can make panko breadcrumb with normal bread (sans crust) in a blender or with a cheese grater followed by drying in the oven on a low heat. Confirm?

But I also want to get the rice right. The rice I have in restaurants is nothing like what I get boiling long grain at home. Am I using the wrong kind, or would steaming it make the difference?

Yes, you can do panko like that. Freeze the bread beforehand to help with grating. In terms of rice, it's mostly the type of rice you use. Most any short-grain rice will do, but it might be labeled as "sushi" rice as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

pnumoman posted:

Yes, you can do panko like that. Freeze the bread beforehand to help with grating. In terms of rice, it's mostly the type of rice you use. Most any short-grain rice will do, but it might be labeled as "sushi" rice as well.

Ah ok, I've been buying the long grain that dominates UK supermarket shelves.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think either way you will end up with a starter.

I ended up throwing half away and feeding it again with 1c flour and 1/2c water, will see what it looks like tomorrow. It was thin enough to just pour out of the container, now it is pretty dense again, maybe that will help it rise. It did have a good sour smell and taste to it, so doesnt seem like it went bad or anything.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

dino. posted:

Popcorn is cheap enough that you could give it a shot and see if it works.

Yeah, I'm sorry for the silly question, turns out the only thing I really should have considered was steam and how it affects the popcorn. Still, save a lot of time on making plural portions with different spices.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Can I get an authentic Thai sweet potato curry recipe?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Quick! I have two nice looking porkchops (not boneless). How should I make them? Lightly flour and pan fry? Grill it on my cast iron grill skillet? What sort of sauce goes well with it?

I'll make some garlic mashedpotatoes and broccoli/cauliflower as sides.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Quick! I have two nice looking porkchops (not boneless). How should I make them? Lightly flour and pan fry? Grill it on my cast iron grill skillet? What sort of sauce goes well with it?

I'll make some garlic mashedpotatoes and broccoli/cauliflower as sides.

I did pork chops last night on the grill. Started them out with s+p, then slathered them the BBQ sauce halfway through to get a caramelized crust without burning the sauce. You could do the same idea under the broiler.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
All I ever put on pork chops is salt and pepper. Cook em on the grill like steaks. I mean, overcooked steaks I guess since everyone knows undercooked pork will kill you forever twice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I went out to dinner tonight to a place that does American Southern cooking. Tried collard greens for the first time...

Are they supposed to taste like someone tortured cabage and tossed with bad vinegar? I only ask because the rest of this restaurant's offerings were pretty bad and I wanted to know if I was broken or they were.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CzarChasm posted:

So I went out to dinner tonight to a place that does American Southern cooking. Tried collard greens for the first time...

Are they supposed to taste like someone tortured cabage and tossed with bad vinegar? I only ask because the rest of this restaurant's offerings were pretty bad and I wanted to know if I was broken or they were.
No, they shouldn't taste like that. I mean it's possible you just don't like them, but they're not what I'd call a bitter or unpleasant or aggressive flavour unlike, I dunno, the wild chicories or something like that, which I could easily see someone finding off-putting.

They tend to run tough, so they're usually wilted in some way before serving. The classic Southern presentation (or at least the one I think of first) is wilting them with some kind of pork---salt pork or bacon---and maybe some onions. I guess they could have just been underprepared (and so too tough to be palatable) or overprepared (and so just gross).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why are the only re-usable canned food lids I can find all marketed towards pet food? Is it bad to store an opened can of something (like corn, beans, etc) in the fridge for a day or two?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

fletcher posted:

Why are the only re-usable canned food lids I can find all marketed towards pet food? Is it bad to store an opened can of something (like corn, beans, etc) in the fridge for a day or two?

Yes, take it out of the can and store it in a glass dish or something. Some foods stored in the fridge in an open can will taste like metal after a few hours.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

FishBulb posted:

All I ever put on pork chops is salt and pepper. Cook em on the grill like steaks. I mean, overcooked steaks I guess since everyone knows undercooked pork will kill you forever twice.

I don't know if you're aware, but for the most part trichinosis is pretty much dead in major pork factories. You should try cooking pork to 145 at least once. I've had medium pork before and been happy with it (though this was from a frou frou local food restaurant), but try cooking pork to 145 instead of 245, you'll probably be much happier.

\/\/\/\/\/ yeah I said 145 so as not to scare him/her :)

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 27, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I pull my pork chops at 140F or so.

heh, pull my pork.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I was going to come in here and post that panko is technically made more like rice krispies than it is bread, but instead I found this chowhound thread of chowhound people being typical chowhound faggots, so here's more than you ever wanted to know about panko.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/364017

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Hi and welcome to Can Talk! I'm your host, Noni and this is my special guest, Fletcher. Brought to you by NPR WBUR Boston, Can Talk is a syndicated radio show where we answer your questions about cans and canned goods.

Now, filling in for my brother today is my good friend Fletcher, who comes here with a question about open food cans. Go ahead, now, Fletcher:

fletcher posted:

Is it bad to store an opened can of something (like corn, beans, etc) in the fridge for a day or two?

Well, Fletch, on the one hand, opened cans are going to get you dinged on health inspections if they're sitting in fridge. Even if they're covered, this can get you marked down. But, as we discussed in last week's show, food prep regulations aren't always sane.

On the other hand, Fletch, this reeks of a myth. REEKS! If I had to guess as to the myth's origins, I'd say it has to do with back when cans were, at best, lined with food-safe metals, where the bulk of the can was made of something not quite food-grade. Heck, Fletch, they used to use lead solder to seal the cans. Even after the health issues of lead exposure became publicly known, usage of lead solder in cans continued, especially in imported cans. Lead wasn't banned from cans completely until the 1990s!

Hold on, we've got a caller. It's Appl from our favorite country, CANada. Hi Appl!

Appl posted:

Yes, take it out of the can and store it in a glass dish or something. Some foods stored in the fridge in an open can will taste like metal after a few hours.

Alright Appl, I think the key here is the word, "Some." It's true, you CAN still have metal leeching into food. However, many cans nowadays are lined with a sealant. Look in your can, Fletch. Does it look metallic on the inside or does it appear light in color and vaguely plastic? If you can't tell, scratch it and you'll be able to tell immediately if there's a sealant.

It's plastic, right? Okay good. Now, if your worry was that toxic metals would leech into the food from the can after the can has been opened, then let me say that that's not a problem any more, liner or no liner. That is unless you've got 20-year-old army surplus cans. If your worry is about food-safe metals leeching in and ruining the flavor, well, if your can has a sealant, it takes care of that issue too.

If you're worried about botulism, in my opinion spooky ghosts emerging from the can and chasing you around your house would be more of a concern than botulism. As far as I know, there's only been one case of botulism poisoning from a manufactured can in the past few decades. Home-canned goods are another story, though.

Now let's talk about the sealant. This liner has become a little ironic, see, because while it saves the food from metal leeching and oxidizing, in some cases these liners were found themselves be leaking BPA. You might recognize BPA because it's been in the news for it being in things like baby bottles and tupperware, and it was found linked to some health issues.

But if your can is lined, and let's just assume it's an older can with BPA in the lining, then I think BPA leeching is already a done deal. Unlike metal, plastic exposed to the air isn't going to get into your food much faster. So a few days, covered, in the fridge isn't going to hurt anyone.

Don't believe me on any of this? Well, Fletch, let me ask you this: Why does chocolate syrup come in cans with lids? Why is it safe to store food in jars with metal lids? After all, the lids are lined with plastic, the same as many tin cans.

In summary, if your can is lined, feel free to store the food covered in the fridge. By the way, I bet your dog food cans are lined if you look in them. My dog's food is.

Alright everyone, that's our show. I'd like to thank our producer, I.C. Weiner, and our sound manager, Amanda Hugginkiss. Can Talk is a production of Dewey, Cheetham, and Howe. Oh, and before we go, the answer to last week's puzzler was, "creamed corn."

Up next is Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:stare: What the gently caress happened in here?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Noni posted:

idiot

retard

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Casu Marzu posted:

:stare: What the gently caress happened in here?
Thats a Noni post. He does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought it was a delightful play on Car Talk, my brain automatically read it with that thick Boston accent. Why all the haters :(