Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My local grocery store just got Sculpin in and they're selling it for $15/6 pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

I wouldn't buy a 4 pack of Hopzilla, at least not with the intentions of drinking it now. It's incredibly sweet and incredibly citrus heavy. I got through it, but it was definitely borderline cloying and the citrus was overwhelming at times. I don't know if it will age well but I don't think many people, outside of the Shock Top group, could drink a 4 pack of it and be happy.

I've generally found that aging beers causes them to get sweeter over time since hops fade and that loses some of the balance to the beer. With that said you're the first person I've found to say Hopzilla is sweet. There's no crystal malt in it since it's 100% Maris otter, and it ferments down pretty low as well. It is pretty citrusy but only from the hops, which is a lot different than a Shock Top kind of flavor.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

My local grocery store just got Sculpin in and they're selling it for $15/6 pack.

Yeah, I just came to post that I'm pretty sure Hypnolobster got a mispriced 6 pack. I just got back from the place where he got his Sculpin and it was $14.99/6 pack, not $10.99.

I'm pretty glad to have stopped by that store anyway, great selection, including a bunch of beers which I haven't seen anywhere else (Victory and Stones versions of Saison du Buff, and Stone's collab with The Bruery/someone else).

Unless this Sculpin is absolutely mind-blowing, I am probably going to agree with you and stick to the White Rajah for $10-11/6er... it's such a phenomenal beer for the price, it deserves the world class rating it currently has on BA.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Dark Lord Day attendees might be pleased to know that Argonauts, featuring Municipal Waste drummer Dave Witte, will be playing (along with Eyehategod!). say what's up to Dave, he's a really nice, approachable guy (and then give him some awesome beer to bring back to VA).

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Is that White Rajah stuff available in New England? I"m going to NH next week, though I may not have cash for more than Deviant Dale's.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

Dark Lord Day attendees might be pleased to know that Argonauts, featuring Municipal Waste drummer Dave Witte, will be playing (along with Eyehategod!). say what's up to Dave, he's a really nice, approachable guy (and then give him some awesome beer to bring back to VA).

Eyehategod playing Dark Lord Day is amazing.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

2008 Cantillon Kriek last night.

Opened the bottle and the entire room filled up with a cherry aroma. It was fantastic. Cantillon from this vintage are known to be particularly acidic, but the cherry was so forward that the entire thing was wonderful tart-cherry. The brett and lacto were obviously present as well, my only regret is that I'm not still drinking it this second.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Manky posted:

Sure makes me miss Philly.

As a New Jerseyan I am laughing. Philly prices are terribly gouged due to the archaic laws.

Josh Wow posted:

I've generally found that aging beers causes them to get sweeter over time since hops fade and that loses some of the balance to the beer. With that said you're the first person I've found to say Hopzilla is sweet. There's no crystal malt in it since it's 100% Maris otter, and it ferments down pretty low as well. It is pretty citrusy but only from the hops, which is a lot different than a Shock Top kind of flavor.

Up front it was far too sweet and thick for me, even being very chilled, and the citrus was way heavy starting sweeter citrus of tangerines and ending slightly grapefruit, but it was just something I didn't enjoy very much.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Is that White Rajah stuff available in New England? I"m going to NH next week, though I may not have cash for more than Deviant Dale's.

I think White Rajah is only distributed around OH, although it might make its way to PA, and MI, not sure.

Sculpin is really, really good, but just as I predicted I'm not 100% sure it's worth its price tag compared to other local beers I can get. I will probably pick it up again because it's really good, but White Rajah is definitely what I'll be looking for until Fat Head's starts to distribute Head Hunter in May/June.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

Sculpin is really, really good, but just as I predicted I'm not 100% sure it's worth its price tag compared to other local beers I can get. I will probably pick it up again because it's really good, but White Rajah is definitely what I'll be looking for until Fat Head's starts to distribute Head Hunter in May/June.

Sculpin is great I don't think I'd pay more than $12 a 6 pack though, maybe $13...Then again we're splitting hairs at that point.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Suburban PA store that just opened up had sixers of sculpin for $20.99, along with $18.99 4 packs of DFH Palo Santo, $13.99 Victory 6 packs (the standard stuff, mind you), months old Xmas ales for 17.99, and loose bottles of Founders Harvest ale. Needless to say, I don't see this spot lasting very long.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

wattershed posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think I'm the only person who actually likes (loves) that beer. They had it available for growler fills about a month ago and I filled a pair of em. NO REGRETS

I like it too, even if it feels like I'm in a minority.

Again, I work at Stone in the Company Store so if anyone ever comes for a tour or a growler fill feel free to say hi. We still have Sterling Dry Hopped Arrogant Bastard that's really great, kind of weird to see Sterling filling that role but it actually does it pretty well.

Also, if any North County SD homebrewers get the chance to come out take some time to visit Smokin' Beaver around the corner in Escondido. Small shop but those guys are really cool with a good selection.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Chill_Bebop posted:

Smokin' Beaver

I haven't been able to bring myself to go there based on the name alone. Makes me picture burnouts from high school gathering up some inheritance money and opening up a head shop in a strip mall, and getting super high before picking a name.

They seem to be pushing a bunch of Blichmann stuff on Craigslist though, so I'm sure they have decent quality stuff. I'm fortunate in that I have a good spot a few miles away, but I'll keep them in mind.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I linked this joint in the last thread, and their website is actually WAY less embarrassing now, but check out Big Beaver Brewing. Just the logo is...yeah. And most of the beer names are dick/vagina jokes. I didn't realize 7th graders were allowed to open breweries. I'm far from a prude, the marketing is just so loving amateurish I have no interest in trying their beer. Maybe I'm missing out, I think Super Hassler has been there before?

Edit: also

that site posted:

We are committed to brewing the best beer possible, following the German purity law, which states only water, malted barley, hops, and yeast can be used to make beer.

This Bourbon infused stout was a crazy experiment. ... We’ve combined the pleasant sweetness of cranberry and the tartness of a sour beer

ok

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 26, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

Edit: also

ok
Technically speaking, given the contents of bourbon, I think that would qualify under the german purity law. Really. I've always been told they do a lot of technical end-arounds to say beer still qualifies under the old purity law.

I've never understood the appeal of the purity law in modern times, really. Good beer is good beer, and people are willing to pay for it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Big Beaver Brewing

...is run by a dude with a PhD and that was the theme he came up with for his brewery :psyduck:

I have been there a couple of times and I found it to be pretty OK, a pretty typical new brewery with a few good things and a few bad things. My impression is that their clientele is mostly middle-aged and up locals who used to hang out at whatever cheap PBR joint in Loveland and sort of adopted this place instead. This leads to neat conversations, at least. (I also sort of doubt they're following any sort of purity law in there; maybe it was his intention at first but I don't think they've updated that website much since pre-launch.)

In Loveland I'd muuuuuuuuch rather goto Grimm Brothers though, they are innovative in really fascinating ways and I've never had anything bad from them and what's more their facility is way better.

There's a third meant to open in Loveland soon, too.

(By the way I can't be the only person who goes to brewpubs and just says "I'll have the stout" or "Give me the wheat beer" instead of giving the name of the beer. So many brewpubs give names to beers that are either non-catchy or just embarrassing to say out loud.)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 26, 2012

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Angry Grimace posted:

Technically speaking, given the contents of bourbon, I think that would qualify under the german purity law. Really. I've always been told they do a lot of technical end-arounds to say beer still qualifies under the old purity law.

I've never understood the appeal of the purity law in modern times, really. Good beer is good beer, and people are willing to pay for it.

I think he's pointing out they used cranberries

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Went back to Spring House to get 2 growlers for an all day drinking affair.

They had their Pineapple Pale Ale on tap, which I got a growler of. It was shockingly good. Had a realy pineapple overtone, in the nose and the taste. Was shocked how pineapple-y it was.

Also got another growler of their Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout, Big Gruesome. So good. I never get sick of the aroma or the taste. Just a delicious take on a chocolate stout , with peanut butter thrown in for good measure.

On the menu they had their PB/J stout as well, and I tried a small sampler of it . Definitely interesting, but the J was too overstated. Hid the PB taste to a "back end" only taste and you could only smell a little bit on the nose. I'd order a whole glass when I go back next time, in order to see how it gets when it warms up... but yeah.

I love that brewery. I wish they bottled.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I also popped open my first KBS last night. From the rep, I was expecting fireworks and hosannahs and everything else. What I got was a great BA coffee stout that was a little lacking in mouthfeel and which left my palate too quickly. For comparison sake, I opened a CW Peruvian Morning (nearly an identical style of beer) right afterwards. KBS was better, but not nearly so much as to justify the hunt and the price-gouging that comes with it.

I also had Bell's Black Note for the first time. That one should get more hype... Absolutely fantastic BA stout, maybe a half-step under GI's BCS.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Big Beaver Brewing's "beaver stubble stout" and "whiskey dick" stout both sound really, really unappealing.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
and they make all ales but then throw in a Dopplebock? At best I'd be wary of that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

In Loveland I'd muuuuuuuuch rather goto Grimm Brothers though, they are innovative in really fascinating ways and I've never had anything bad from them and what's more their facility is way better.

Agreed, Grimm is pretty great and I should go there more often. Really love the Master Thief porter. They've already expanded once and are looking to again soon, so hopefully people outside of northern Colorado will be able to check them out eventually.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angry Grimace posted:

Technically speaking, given the contents of bourbon, I think that would qualify under the german purity law.

The grain used to make bourbon has to be at least 51% corn.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anybody seen The Happy Hour Guys? It's a web series where "Mark Aldrich and Jimmy Ludwig travel to historic, unique, and remarkable bars." Anyway I know I pimp this place all the time but they featured my favorite price-gouging craft beer and artisanal pizza place, The Fridge! It's a cool tv spot, since it features the owners talking about how they lost their jobs and started the place up. I was tempted to show up when they were filming but decided I'd rather be left out of it.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Tried the DFH Saison de Buff this weekend, and while the beer solidly hits the DFH "interesting, wouldn't buy it again" range for me, the loving aftertaste lingered for 30 minutes. Felt like I'd eaten some potpourri. Drink it by itself or as your last beer of the night, because I think that aftertaste would gently caress with whatever you tried to drink next.

Also had a Weihenstephaner Korbinian which was great and pretty cheap. How do they make a 7.4% beer in Germany, ship it to the States, and still sell it for >$4 for nearly a liter?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yay, it's Oberon day here in Michigan. I didn't go to any of the midnight releases but as soon as I get out of work I'm probably buying a case. Meijer has it on sale for $7/6-pack this week. :stare:

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Retemnav posted:

Also had a Weihenstephaner Korbinian which was great and pretty cheap. How do they make a 7.4% beer in Germany, ship it to the States, and still sell it for >$4 for nearly a liter?

No hop hype. The bigass markups tend to apply to American IPAs more than anything else. European and Euro-style beers just aren't sought after to the same extent.

I'd also think the longer distribution chain has something to do with noramlizing prices.

You want a really good deal on quality, abv, and price - Oskar Blues Old Chub, LongTrail Double Bag, Victory Helios

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Docjowles posted:

I linked this joint in the last thread, and their website is actually WAY less embarrassing now, but check out Big Beaver Brewing. Just the logo is...yeah. And most of the beer names are dick/vagina jokes. I didn't realize 7th graders were allowed to open breweries. I'm far from a prude, the marketing is just so loving amateurish I have no interest in trying their beer. Maybe I'm missing out, I think Super Hassler has been there before?

This isn't so much a brewery as it is a cry for attention. Jesus Christ, Clown Shoes look understated and classy by comparison.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

I also had Bell's Black Note for the first time. That one should get more hype... Absolutely fantastic BA stout, maybe a half-step under GI's BCS.

Have you seen it's selling price on eBay? It has enough hype I think. ;)

Also I absolutely love CW Peruvian Morning. I don't think it's THAT close to KBS, but a drat good beer all the same. And cheap too.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

CalvinDooglas posted:

You want a really good deal on quality, abv, and price - Oskar Blues Old Chub, LongTrail Double Bag, Victory Helios

I can second the Helios. It's truly dirt cheap for what it is, and is my go-to when I want something nice but don't feel like paying for it. Golden Monkey used to be a lot cheaper, at least where I am. $6-ish for a 750 was a deal I found hard to pass up.

Also pretty much anything by Lagunitas in a 750 is a steal.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I Dont Like You posted:

Have you seen it's selling price on eBay? It has enough hype I think. ;)

I don't see any on there right now... What prices are we talking about? Dark Lord level?

My point about KBS is that, while excellent, I certainly don't understand why people would camp out for it or trade ridiculous things for it or ask for $20 a bottle. Especially when I really don't get too much more out of it than Peruvian Morning, which is relatively easy to find when it comes out.

By the way, I traded a Firestone XV and a Flossmoor Barrel-Aged Hi-Fi for my 4-pack of KBS. XV I can still find at one shop by me and I've got a couple Hi-Fi's left. So in retrospect, I think I did over-trade but it wasn't anything that I'm kicking myself for.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is a steal imo. $7.99 for a 4 pack of 10% goodness. A few stores I know that aren't huge into craft beer have it and have marked it 20% off since they want to clear their winter stock.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Retemnav posted:

CalvinDooglas covered most of the reasons - no hype, no real "fame" markup, etc. I just want to chime in to say everything from Weihenstephaner is of excellent quality, and their bottles run 1/2 to 1/3 the price of most micros available around me. They suffer from the same problem (if you can call it that) as most old world brewers in that they're not innovating a whole lot, but if you just want a solid, well-crafted beer Weihenstephaner is a very good place to go.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Weihenstephaner chat: their hefeweissbier is nothing short of amazing and shame on you if you've never had it, especially considering how cheap and widely available it is.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Weihenstephaner Hefe is hands down the best wheat I've had. Not only worth buying, itself, but worth getting the appropriate 500ml glass so you can get the yeast in without waiting for the 2nd pour. Although, I do like to drink down the first half glass before adding the sediment, just to experience the "whole" beer.

Another great great German brand that isn't too pricey is Pinkus. Their Pils is one of my favorites, and it uses an unusual kinda funky hop and sweet body that really distinguishes it from the skunky Czech style pilsners.

Schneider und Sohn make some awesome beers, too. Namely, Aventinus doppelbock.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Weistephaner Vitus is also a thing of beauty. Easy drinking, super-clovey weizenbock. MMMM!!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
The local bottle shop has a shelf of 5-6 (or maybe more, I forget) different Weihenstephaner beers, guess I'm just gonna go buy one of each now.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, my local bottle shop is getting 1 case of each of the Cigar City/Bruery Dos Costas beers(3 varieties I think), ... are these worth tracking down?

Edit : This is the message she sent me.

quote:

-Maine Lunch (1 case per account)
-Maine Peeper
-Cigar City/The Bruery "Dos Costas" (Base beer is a saison and there are 3 variants... one aged on cedar spirals, one on grapefruit and one on lemon. Limit 1 case of each per account and must take all 3)

Vertigo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Vertigo posted:

So, my local bottle shop is getting 1 case of each of the Cigar City/Bruery Dos Costas beers(3 varieties I think), ... are these worth tracking down?

Edit : This is the message she sent me.

don't sleep on the Lunch, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I love Flying Fish's Exit 4, it's hard to beat a 10% Triple for $11 a 6 pack. Nice balance of semi-sweet citrus, clove spices, and a perfume-like floralness to it. It's way too easy to drink at this ABV, I've caught myself drinking 4-5 a night a few times and regretted it.