Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

I have so many balls of lace weight cotton it's not even funny and I hate it so much. Hate it and yet never can bring myself to give away 10k yards of laceweight. :smith:

I've never even SEEN laceweight cotton. What's it for? Doilies?

Maybe you could trade it or sell it instead of just giving it away? Because YIKES.

harmless_fun posted:

I've only been knitting (continental) for about a month now and have just started a hat on circular needles. Problem is I'm freaking out a bit thinking I'm holding the work/needles wrong. Right now, I have the work hanging down from the needles (like looking from the top of the hat into the inside), but I've seen pics where the work is more on top of the needles. Am I doing something wrong?

Mine always hangs down from the needles. I knit English, but I can't imagine that'd make any difference.

As long as it's not twisted it's fine I'm sure. Posting a picture couldn't hurt though. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Here's how the hat looks so far. I stuck the right needle through the stitch as if to knit. Is this right?

This is part of a lace scarf I just finished (about a third of it). I'm blocking it this weekend, so better pics then.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It looks perfect to me!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I think I see what has you worried. If that's how you hold it, you might run into an instance of it basically knitting inside out--where your 'right side' is facing into the tube instead of out towards you. It's not really a problem, and I usually knit socks that way if it involves lots of purling as I find it more comfortable.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

FelicityGS posted:

I knit on dpns until it was pretty close to falling off (most of the center leaves were done), then switched to magic looping with a very large circular. Once the blanket is big enough, you don't need to magic loop and can just knit in the round. Forever.

I was using interchangeables, too, I just started with a huge needle cause I hate switching needles a lot and magic loop pretty much solves that.

I have a 60 inch circular I was planning to use, did that much cord do OK when travelling? If I'm to finish this bad boy before September it needs to go with me EVERYWHERE. Seems like no matter what it's a pain... Stupid blankets. Stupid people getting married. At least the bride is a knitter/crocheter, so it will be well appreciated!

FelicityGS, what sort of colors is the laceweight cotton? I know a crocheter who loves doing doilies and has a pretty tight budget. Depending on the colors she might be interested and you can offload it to a good home. :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, that's how big my cord was too (I linked two together with a joiner thing). Towards then end it's a little bunched up, so you can't spread it out to look at it, but I really don't know anything that would let you do that.

It's all white mercerized cotton--I've got about 4k here at my place (the rest is at my mom's a few states away). Pretty shiny looking. It's specifically billed as crochet cotton too; I don't think it's super fancy, but if she wants white, I'm more than happy to send off some.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
Durrr :downs: I didn't notice you were the one I was replying to for both things! Anyway, could you give me a brand name/size? Maybe post a pic of the label? My friend has been doing this for like 30 years so she's come to know what she likes!

IHeartManChowdah
Dec 8, 2009
Here's some of the stuff I've knitted

Knotty but Nice hat from Knitty

Big Bad Baby Blanket from the first Stitch 'n Bitch book

Silk Garden Lite Cowl (used Crystal Palace yarn)

Leaf purse, my own pattern

Cabled dog sweater, modeled by my cat

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Two questions!

1. My favorite yarn I've worked with so far is the Chroma stuff from Knitpicks (both the worsted and the fingering). This yarn is so lovely! I love everything about it. It's soft as a cloud and lovely to knit with, and I really really really love how it has long transitioning and smooth color changes. But, I can't always justify spending the $50 to get free shipping and paying for shipping makes me sad. Does anyone know of any other long transitioning self striping yarns that I might actually be able to find locally? While I like natural fibers, I'm less concerned with fiber content and more with softness and the long transitions.

2. I have a gift exchange coming up soon and I want to participate, but I'm out of funds. However, I do have a shitton of yarn-- any ideas on quick to knit projects for a 2 year old girl and for her mother? They don't have to "go" together, per se.

Thanks!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Crystal Palace Mini Mochi and Mochi Plus are the closest to Chroma I've seen. Noro also self striped but the yarn texture is pretty different (and sometimes has plant matter) - I also find the colors more "earthy" and mottled than Chroma or Mochi.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Phishi posted:

Durrr :downs: I didn't notice you were the one I was replying to for both things! Anyway, could you give me a brand name/size? Maybe post a pic of the label? My friend has been doing this for like 30 years so she's come to know what she likes!

It says Aunt Lydia's mercerized cotton, gossamer weight.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

IHeartManChowdah posted:

Here's some of the stuff I've knitted

Great job! Though that cat looks like it's ready to kill someone.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Drei posted:

Crystal Palace Mini Mochi and Mochi Plus are the closest to Chroma I've seen. Noro also self striped but the yarn texture is pretty different (and sometimes has plant matter) - I also find the colors more "earthy" and mottled than Chroma or Mochi.

Mochi is absolutely wonderful stuff, but god help you if you have to tink or frog. It can be done but you'll find yourself slightly balder afterwards.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Hey youse guuuuuyz....

Don't ever knit Katherine Howard. It is UGLY. Not even a Jolie-Laide. Straight up beaten with an ugly stick.

It's got big, puffy leg o'mutton sleeves a la 80s and oh, God, it's hideous.

I'm gonna wear is everywhere and embarass the gently caress out of myself in a country full of beautiful ladies!

Cheers again, Felicity.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Molly Bloom posted:

Hey youse guuuuuyz....

Don't ever knit Katherine Howard. It is UGLY. Not even a Jolie-Laide. Straight up beaten with an ugly stick.

I'm gonna wear is everywhere and embarass the gently caress out of myself in a country full of beautiful ladies!

Cheers again, Felicity.

Wait, you mean this pattern?

Because I can't see that ever being non-ugly outside of a Ren Faire. :staredog:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

...Oh dear, that is quite something.

Very unusual for a Virtual Yarns pattern, usually they're pretty good but that's plain hideous.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Yeah. I mean, I knew it was ugly....but seeing it on me just elevated it from renfaire ugly to the certain knowledge that if I wear it while pregnant my children will be born ugly. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Speaking of horrible, horrible decisions...does anyone know a way to remove rust stains from white bamboo/silk yarn? :v:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Molly Bloom posted:

Hey youse guuuuuyz....

Cheers again, Felicity.

It looks cool in the same way entrelac looks cool. You really want to make it because the construction looks fascinating, but copy and paste that all over your torso and you look like you've lost your drat mind.

That said, I still really want to make this, if only to play with the techniques.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

Hey youse guuuuuyz....

Cheers again, Felicity.

I'm so glad I could be of service. :) (I totally copied a ton of patterns out of it too >.>)

Fake edit:

Speaking of horrible, horrible decisions...does anyone know a way to remove rust stains from white bamboo/silk yarn? :v:

I want to know the answer to this too, only with wool. My favourite pair of colour work socks. :(

Edit the 3rd:

I finished a shawl I've been designing:

Traditional style Estonian shawl, including crazy sewn on edge (I bet you can't tell, it's so elastic, I love sewing on that edge).

I'm still writing the pattern, but since it's kind of an easy one, it shouldn't be too long if work doesn't go crazy. Any goons that would like a free copy, let me know. I'll drop a line in the thread when it's ready so I can get everyone's email at once (I don't have PMs).

felgs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 20, 2012

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

FelicityGS posted:

I'm so glad I could be of service. :) (I totally copied a ton of patterns out of it too >.>)

Fake edit:

I want to know the answer to this too, only with wool. My favourite pair of colour work socks. :(

Edit the 3rd:

Traditional style Estonian shawl, including crazy sewn on edge (I bet you can't tell, it's so elastic, I love sewing on that edge).

I'm still writing the pattern, but since it's kind of an easy one, it shouldn't be too long if work doesn't go crazy. Any goons that would like a free copy, let me know. I'll drop a line in the thread when it's ready so I can get everyone's email at once (I don't have PMs).

I'd totally be interested when you are done, I lovvvvve how overtly floral it is :) Plus I should probably learn to sew on borders at some point...

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

Fake edit:

Edit the 3rd:

That shawl is gorgeous! I've been trying to find a good shawl pattern and yours looks lovely. Even without the nupp flowers (that's what it is, right? I haven't tried nupps yet) the wavy stem and flower bud pattern is so pretty. I'm going to have to try it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Avalinka posted:

That shawl is gorgeous! I've been trying to find a good shawl pattern and yours looks lovely. Even without the nupp flowers (that's what it is, right? I haven't tried nupps yet) the wavy stem and flower bud pattern is so pretty. I'm going to have to try it.

They are called nupps. :) They are easy in theory, though sometimes getting them loose enough can be hard.

HeatherChandler You don't have to learn how to sew on borders, and after I did it once, I didn't think I'd do it again. It's just really cool to get something sewn that's as elastic as the actual knitting. I'm used to sewing not having nearly so much give.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

FelicityGS posted:

That is absolutely beautiful. I would be interested in giving the pattern a shot when you're giving it out. What is the yardage on something of that size?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

That is absolutely beautiful. I would be interested in giving the pattern a shot when you're giving it out. What is the yardage on something of that size?

It was about 1400 yards of lace weight; the pattern will take a little less cause I felt it was a bit too wide for how long it is. I'll have instructions for the pictured one too though.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
So the only real knitting blog I tend to read is http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ and aren't these mittens spectacular, http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/muppethands%202012-03-21.jpg. Please tell me i'm not the only one seeing these as some kind of horrible infectious disease of the hands.
Also, please recommend me other knitting blogs!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Spiteful posted:

So the only real knitting blog I tend to read is http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ and aren't these mittens spectacular, http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/muppethands%202012-03-21.jpg. Please tell me i'm not the only one seeing these as some kind of horrible infectious disease of the hands.
Also, please recommend me other knitting blogs!

They're thrummed mittens, inside out. Thrummed mittens are super great and cozy!

I need to finish and by finish I mean start my second one... I have half a pair of mittens and the warmest March of my life...

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks for the help on the hat I was working in the round. Turns out I was holding it all wrong, but the right side was always facing me, so no harm done. The hat is done, but still working on the flower embellishment for the side.

I blocked my first scarf. It is three separate lace patterns. This picture only shows about half of it.

This is a closer view of the middle vine pattern that makes up most of the scarf.

I'm about to start on my second scarf ever with lovely lavender blue Silky Alpaca Lace from Classic Elite and I'm using one of their patterns.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That scarf looks great! I always like 'sampler' sort of things where you have a few different lace patterns. :)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
While I'm waiting for a pattern update on Ravelry, I'm doing my first pair of socks toe up with magic loop which I've never done before. So far it's a great technique, especially if I could've gotten more of that curliness out of the cord. I tried the hot water method from the tap, probably wasn't warm enough? I'm using KP's Stroll Sport on 3s to help ease me into it and see if it's for me. (And it better be, since I have some of that TOFUtsies coming finally! eee crab yarn!)

So for any of you experienced sock knitters, toe up especially, is there a usual mistake most new to sock knitters make on their first, or first few, pairs? I understand basic construction since doing most of one sock w/ Silver's Sock class last year but that was worsted weight and cuff down.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I find using two circular needles easier than using magic loop, and the cable doesn't go all crinkly.

FelicityGS, that is a very pretty shawl and I would be interested in having the pattern :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm making a striped blanket for my son, who is due this summer. For the first time, I'm carrying the yarn up the side of the blanket instead of cutting and having to weave in a million ends. My question is, what do I do with these balls of yarn? Anyone have a clever idea of how to keep them together but not tangled so I can take the project with me places and not be juggling four yarn balls? Should I just look for a drawstring bag or something?

edit: v v v That is a COOL idea! I wonder if it would mess with the center pull yarn though? I guess probably not, because I won't be actually pulling yarn while the ball is on the straight needle (or in my case I'd probably use a chopstick since I don't own straight needles...)

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 26, 2012

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm making a striped blanket for my son, who is due this summer. For the first time, I'm carrying the yarn up the side of the blanket instead of cutting and having to weave in a million ends. My question is, what do I do with these balls of yarn? Anyone have a clever idea of how to keep them together but not tangled so I can take the project with me places and not be juggling four yarn balls?
My idea is not clever; I just kept the intarsia blanket I made in a large grocery tote bag and obsessively moved all the balls when I need to do ws.

I've heard and seen people use a straight needle through center pulls, with a stopper on the point, to keep them orderly. No idea is that's feasible for you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

zamiel posted:

While I'm waiting for a pattern update on Ravelry, I'm doing my first pair of socks toe up with magic loop which I've never done before. So far it's a great technique, especially if I could've gotten more of that curliness out of the cord. I tried the hot water method from the tap, probably wasn't warm enough? I'm using KP's Stroll Sport on 3s to help ease me into it and see if it's for me. (And it better be, since I have some of that TOFUtsies coming finally! eee crab yarn!)

So for any of you experienced sock knitters, toe up especially, is there a usual mistake most new to sock knitters make on their first, or first few, pairs? I understand basic construction since doing most of one sock w/ Silver's Sock class last year but that was worsted weight and cuff down.
I think you're supposed to use really hot water, like almost-boiling hot, like you'd use for tea. Tap water probably won't do anything.

I haven't used magic loop (I love dpns, there may be something wrong with me). But in general you probably just want to be sure to keep your stitches snug so there are no gaps.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't used magic loop (I love dpns, there may be something wrong with me).

I too prefer DPNs! You're not alone. :j::respek::j:

Although I have realized there are times when magic loop is good... like 2 socks on one needle which is kind of a pain in the rear end but I love the advantages of (basically if I made a gently caress up it'll be the same across the board).

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I am trying to start a crafting/drinking group in my area. Our first meeting was last night and I am super pleased with the turnout. I hope we get more people out next Monday. One of my friends made me a logo for our facebook group. I love showing it off.

My question is, what do I do with these balls of yarn?

I am a big fan of weaving in as you go.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Charmmi posted:

I am a big fan of weaving in as you go.

Wow, those seem awesome but also complicated. Maybe I should re-read them when I don't have a disgusting head and chest cold.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

I'm making a striped blanket for my son, who is due this summer. For the first time, I'm carrying the yarn up the side of the blanket instead of cutting and having to weave in a million ends. My question is, what do I do with these balls of yarn? Anyone have a clever idea of how to keep them together but not tangled so I can take the project with me places and not be juggling four yarn balls? Should I just look for a drawstring bag or something?

edit: v v v That is a COOL idea! I wonder if it would mess with the center pull yarn though? I guess probably not, because I won't be actually pulling yarn while the ball is on the straight needle (or in my case I'd probably use a chopstick since I don't own straight needles...)

I may have mentioned this before and it's not totally portable, but my friend was able to turn one of those long, narrow soda boxes into a nice yarn holder with some scissors. Just put yarn inside the box, then cut little holes in the side and thread the yarn through them. Keeps all the bits nice and separate. I use a similar principle for an incredibly low-rent lazy kate.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Goons! Everyone who expressed interest, the pattern is ready. I need your emails. I don't have PMs. It's about 9 pages long, and I have charts also written out for those who can't read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

Goons! Everyone who expressed interest, the pattern is ready. I need your emails. I don't have PMs. It's about 9 pages long, and I have charts also written out for those who can't read them.

[redacted]

I'll edit that out whan I get your email. Once again - awesome pattern! I'm looking forward to making it.

Edit - Thanks FelicityGS. The pattern looks easy to follow and comprehensive. Just one quick question - how heavy (50g, 100g) are the balls of malabrigo lace? And how long are they? That may be a dumb question, but I've never seen malabrigo before or knit lace before except in 4-ply baby clothes.

Avalinka fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 2, 2012