Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Worse In my opinion. Kja books were dumb and predictable but didn't really alter the overall continuity. Denning has hosed the current EU up to a point where nothing really makes sense. This whole Abeloth thing makes no sense and the characterization has been turned to poo poo. I can overlook the stupider kja crap because in the overall scheme of things, it doesn't matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I would also say worse. A lot of that also has to do with the general state of the EU now vs when KJA was writing, but like ValutAggie said, Denning is responsible for a lot of the shittiness of the modern EU.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I'd say Denning is worse than Travis and Vonda McIntyre (Crystal Star) just because of bug orgies and he's somehow still writing after bug orgies. He's probably gonna write most of whatever the next terrible series is called too.

It it was still Bantam/KJA we'd just be complaining about Dark Jedi/Warlord/Superweapon of the week. The Worst KJA has really done is inflict Kip Durron on the EU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Should Denning be considered the Kevin J. Anderson of the 21st-century, then, or is he arguably worse?
The Jedi Academy Trilogy is a little dumb, but readable and kind of enjoyable. The same goes for all the Young Jedi Knights books. Darksaber is loving retarded.

Denning on the other hand wrote The Dark Nest Trilogy, then went and helmed Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi. The entire concept behind LOTF was "What if Jacen turned to the dark side", it's as shallow as that. To get to the point where this could happen he wrote The Bug Orgy Trilogy. At this point we had just come off the New Jedi Order which was incredibly grim, one would think it would be a good idea to go with something lighter after almost 5 years of a particularly dark series. Not according to Denning, who can't seem to create any sort of peril unless it involves killing millions of people or a main character. He's also done some incredible damage to the continuity, and is unfortunately still in the drivers seat as far as the EU is concerned.

EDIT: Oh, and he says he spent one and a half years writing Apocalypse, and is very proud of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jigoku San posted:

I'd say Denning is worse than Travis and Vonda McIntyre (Crystal Star) just because of bug orgies and he's somehow still writing after bug orgies. He's probably gonna write most of whatever the next terrible series is called too.

Whoah, whoah.

I'll agree Denning is a hack who at this point has probably done more egregious harm than Vonda McIntyre, Barbara Hambly, or KJA. KJA for his part at least did some good Tales of the Jedi comics and was a decent editor/overall storyline coordinator in his tenure as head honcho of the Bantam EU.

But I honestly don't think anyone is or could be worse than Traviss, just on a personal level. Denning and KJA did bad stories inadvertently, because they're bad writers; Traviss' books are poo poo because she wrote them with a very specific ideological bent. This is someone who outright admitted she hates Star Wars and actively worked to 'sabotage' it from within, and when people called her on it, raised one of the most toxic and divisive call to arms within the fan base ever. This is someone who publicly fantasized about murdering her fan detractors, claimed that people who like Jedi are literal Nazis, and said she cheered at the scene in ROTS when Anakin kills the little kids. And throughout all this, she somehow remained on the Lucasfilm payroll and they kept giving her bigger and bigger platforms to spread her poison. If it wasn't for the fact she's a loving child and had a temper-tantrum and stomped off, she would still be doing so.

That's why no one will ever top Traviss for shittiest person ever to piss in the EU pool.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Asthma
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bad_Kitty

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Whoah, whoah.

Well true. I guess its willful evil verse incompetence.

I remember Denning saying something like "The YJK are my favorite characters." then he writes Dark Nest. That's like Traviss saying she hates Jedi then goes and writes the best Jedi focused novel you've ever read.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Note that Kevin Anderson, when interviewed, said something to the effect of "they did WHAT?"

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
"They made Daala Chief of State? They made Kyp get a girlfriend?"

I still can't fathom how Daala ever became chief of state. :negative:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

It's like poetry.

They rhyme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

The Jedi Academy Trilogy is a little dumb, but readable and kind of enjoyable. The same goes for all the Young Jedi Knights books. Darksaber is loving retarded.

Denning on the other hand wrote The Dark Nest Trilogy, then went and helmed Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi. The entire concept behind LOTF was "What if Jacen turned to the dark side", it's as shallow as that. To get to the point where this could happen he wrote The Bug Orgy Trilogy. At this point we had just come off the New Jedi Order which was incredibly grim, one would think it would be a good idea to go with something lighter after almost 5 years of a particularly dark series. Not according to Denning, who can't seem to create any sort of peril unless it involves killing millions of people or a main character. He's also done some incredible damage to the continuity, and is unfortunately still in the drivers seat as far as the EU is concerned.

My issue with Denning's work on Star Wars is that he comes across as one of those fans who thinks, "How can I make sure everybody knows how adult this is? I know! Bug orgies and violence!" You know, like he conflates "dark" with "mature", if that makes sense.

On the other hand, Anderson, for all his faults, wrote Tales Of the Jedi: Redemption, which I think was quite good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

My issue with Denning's work on Star Wars is that he comes across as one of those fans who thinks, "How can I make sure everybody knows how adult this is? I know! Bug orgies and violence!" You know, like he conflates "dark" with "mature", if that makes sense.

On the other hand, Anderson, for all his faults, wrote Tales Of the Jedi: Redemption, which I think was quite good.

That actually does raise a point I had been wondering. Denning makes a lot of references to people being literally sliced in half by lightsabers (which makes sense, considering). But way back in...whichever Heir to the Empire book involving Karrde escaping the Chimera, there's a scene that goes something like

Imperial: We've got some dead people here, but we don't know how they died.
Thrawn: Look for cauterized micro-contusions, and then keep your eyes open for a guy with a lightsaber.

I could never tell if it was a "Luke stabs people artfully through the head or heart when he kills them" or some base lore incompatibility.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Imperial: We've got some dead people here, but we don't know how they died.
Thrawn: Look for cauterized micro-contusions, and then keep your eyes open for a guy with a lightsaber.

Given that Thrawn is having them look for burned bruises, I've always assumed that they're finding cut in half bodies and not knowing what did the cutting.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I figured Luke wasn't into dismemberment, for obvious reasons, so he was all samurai style slash across the chest / back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

vkeios posted:

Given that Thrawn is having them look for burned bruises, I've always assumed that they're finding cut in half bodies and not knowing what did the cutting.

The exact phrasing in the book, to the best of my recollection, is "We're not sure what they died from". Now, Imperial School of Marksmanship aside, I always took that as "the wounds aren't visible", since "they're cut in half, but what was the cause of death?" seemed a little silly to me. I guess I could see "How were they cut in half?" being what they meant, though. I'd have to go re-read that section.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jigoku San posted:

I figured Luke wasn't into dismemberment, for obvious reasons, so he was all samurai style slash across the chest / back.

Makes sense. If I recall correctly, in the sail barge scene in RotJ, Luke kills a few guards with his lightsaber without slicing them into pieces.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jigoku San posted:

This is what I figured, and I figured that Zahn was extrapolating lightsaber to mean that the cuts it made were super super super fine. So you'd get really miniscule cuts that don't bleed because they're cauterized immediately.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Gands don't breathe. How can they get asthma?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Geddy Krueger posted:

Gands don't breathe. How can they get asthma?

Gands breathe, they just breathe Methane I think.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Gands breathe, they just breathe Methane I think.

Ammonia, and oxygen is like acid to their lungs (mentioned in 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters', oh gently caress I've wasted my life).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

All I know is that I had a ton of fun in that one mission in KOTOR II where you have to kill an entire bar full of Gands.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I just looked through that article and there's a link to a page for a lungless Gand subspecies, which is apparently what Ooryl was talking about when he said Gands don't breathe.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

All I know is that I had a ton of fun in that one mission in KOTOR II where you have to kill an entire bar full of Gands.

With a lightsaber and those bad rear end KOTOR II Jedi robes in my opinion if you head to Nar Shadda first this where the game goes into gently caress YEAH WE AIN'T STOPPING fun mode with good RPGs that only ends when you see the credits.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

With a lightsaber and those bad rear end KOTOR II Jedi robes in my opinion if you head to Nar Shadda first this where the game goes into gently caress YEAH WE AIN'T STOPPING fun mode with good RPGs that only ends when you see the credits.

Has anyone played through that game completely sans-lightsaber? I've played through it maybe 3 times, but I never attempted to go "badass mercenary". 1st time I acted as myself, which was about midway between gray and completely light, second time I went completely light, and the third time completely dark.

I also didn't realize you could convert Atton to a Jedi till the second time through. Not even Bao-dur was spared from Force prowess.

Malachoooooor....

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

I always used force wave in that bar and set about a dozed dues flying into every corner of the level. That part owned so hard.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Man, I loved KoTOR II. Remember the point early on when you get your Force Powers back and Kreia talks to you about it? There's a line you can pick, something like "No, not that kind of power. Never again." At that point, I knew that there was only one way I could ever play the Exile: a broken and remorseful Light-Sider, a woman who always somehow knew that she hurt everything and everyone she touched - even before she found out she was a literal Force wound - but still felt the need to do good because nobody else was stepping up to the plate. Also, my Exile tries to be nice to everyone because I am the kind of person who wants all my NPC companions to be my BFFs. How do you guys tend to play your KoTOR dudes/ladies?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I loved that I was able to be a huge sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everyone on the ship in KOTORII. Then I found out what influenced did :(

Oh well, if you couldn't solo the whole thing as some crazy force lightning spamming wizard you were doing something wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A bearded but benevelant Obi-Wan General type, but without the obnoxious Padawan future space Himmler at my side.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The best way to play KOTOR2 is to spec into Strength and Unarmed. Suckas talk Sith, I'mma punch 'em in the dick :c00lbert:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WhyteRyce posted:

I loved that I was able to be a huge sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everyone on the ship in KOTORII. Then I found out what influenced did :(
Actually, making your party members hate you unlocks the same bonuses as making them like you, IIRC. The point is that they feel strongly about you, one way or the other.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I never liked Nar Shaddar during my KotORII playthroughs. Maybe because it's always the third planet I go to so it's like a 6-9 hour stretch of dull grey boxes or maybe it's because I'm not the exile for like half of it and I never bothered to level up Atton correctly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chairman Capone posted:

Whoah, whoah.

I'll agree Denning is a hack who at this point has probably done more egregious harm than Vonda McIntyre, Barbara Hambly, or KJA. KJA for his part at least did some good Tales of the Jedi comics and was a decent editor/overall storyline coordinator in his tenure as head honcho of the Bantam EU.

But I honestly don't think anyone is or could be worse than Traviss, just on a personal level. Denning and KJA did bad stories inadvertently, because they're bad writers; Traviss' books are poo poo because she wrote them with a very specific ideological bent. This is someone who outright admitted she hates Star Wars and actively worked to 'sabotage' it from within, and when people called her on it, raised one of the most toxic and divisive call to arms within the fan base ever. This is someone who publicly fantasized about murdering her fan detractors, claimed that people who like Jedi are literal Nazis, and said she cheered at the scene in ROTS when Anakin kills the little kids. And throughout all this, she somehow remained on the Lucasfilm payroll and they kept giving her bigger and bigger platforms to spread her poison. If it wasn't for the fact she's a loving child and had a temper-tantrum and stomped off, she would still be doing so.

That's why no one will ever top Traviss for shittiest person ever to piss in the EU pool.

I was rather disappointed that no one in the Let's Read thread covered the Traviss books (besides Hard Contact, which apparently isn't terrible so it doesn't count). After reading about Moffrences, Bossk, Emperor Bowie, Viceroy Baraka, and Daala (as well as personally covering Bug Orgies and nu-metal Sith Zombies) I feel like part of my education on the horrors of EU is incomplete.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is still a few stinkers of the EU to be taken on and the thread won't be gold mined for a while due to activity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SirPhoebos posted:

I was rather disappointed that no one in the Let's Read thread covered the Traviss books (besides Hard Contact, which apparently isn't terrible so it doesn't count). After reading about Moffrences, Bossk, Emperor Bowie, Viceroy Baraka, and Daala (as well as personally covering Bug Orgies and nu-metal Sith Zombies) I feel like part of my education on the horrors of EU is incomplete.

There's only so much we could take, man. I only made it through writing up the six books before I had to stop for my own sanity. I couldn't possibly ask anyone to go down the hole any further.

SeanBeansShako posted:

There is still a few stinkers of the EU to be taken on and the thread won't be gold mined for a while due to activity.

On a completely unrelated note...how does a thread get gold mined?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

A mod does it, ask one of them.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A long time ago, in a galaxy thread far, far away, somebody once posted a colossal rundown on why Karen Traviss is one of the biggest hacks in all of Star Wars. Does anyone happen to have it on hand? I want to show it to a few friends who've only seen the tip of the iceberg and are jonesing for more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

A long time ago, in a galaxy thread far, far away, somebody once posted a colossal rundown on why Karen Traviss is one of the biggest hacks in all of Star Wars. Does anyone happen to have it on hand? I want to show it to a few friends who've only seen the tip of the iceberg and are jonesing for more.
I'd like to see this, and turn it into an infographic.

Then post it on TFN :devil:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody recall the message board on starwars.com? It's since been removed from the site, but as I recall, Karen Traviss used to post there on a semi-regular basis.

It was an okay forum as long as you didn't go into the real-world discussion section. There was this one guy I remember who was a blatant, unapologetic Nazi but was never banned.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Right here, just scroll down a bit (google's cached version though, as the TFN boards are down right now):
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
http://star-wars.suvudu.com/2012/04/post-star-wars-fate-of-the-jedi-news-and-exclusive-epilogue-by-timothy-zahn.html

I completely forgot it was April 1st and was stunned that they were going to pull this now. :downs: Then again, it is Star Wars EU so who loving ever knows.