Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I don't think anyone has ever been randomly shot in a bar fight or whatever in New Zealand ever

Stabbed, kicked in the head, hit with a barstool, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

PelirrojoLoco posted:

Also, my gym didn't make up those fight rules. That was the Tiger Balm Internationals, as I've said. And actually, my sensei thought it was crap that they were using counters to keep track of the number of hits and told them so. After our division was finished they stopped using them.

The big flashing warning sign that's going off in my head is not the fact that your gym made up those rules, but the fact that your gym would let you fight under those conditions. Your gym is supposed to have your back at all times and make sure you don't get hosed by bullshit like that. They're the ones who are supposed to clean up all the drat messes and all you should do is think about your fight. The fact that they let you fight in a poo poo style tournament like that is a sign that they're not doing a great job looking out for you.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've never heard someone say "teep" in training either and we do the Karate sensei bow thing after training because our trainer started out in Seidokaikan with Andy Hug. Unless you're hell-bent on learning traditional MT, those quirks aren't going to make you any more or less legit at K-1/Dutch style kickboxing. Lightcontact MT tournaments and belts are way bigger red flags.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Do those MT ankle wrap/sock things help when you accidentally kick someone's elbow with your foot?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nope

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Crap.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm interested in starting to train, most likely at a BJJ or MMA dojo, and I was wondering if there were any good websites that rated dojos by area? Also anyone know a good spot on Oahu?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

What was the scoop on that? The only thing I'd heard was that the wound was under the armpit into the lung. That's not show violence -- that's someone who knows how to effectively use a knife to kill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blagoi_Ivanov#Bar_fight_incident:

In the early morning of February 26, 2012 a group of eight men entered the capitol bar "Ice" on Graf Ignatiev Street and attacked Blagoi and his two friends, both with criminal past. Blagoi was stabbed below the armpit, with the blade of the knife penetrating his heart. He was in the intensive care unit after lifesaving 6 hours of medical intervention at Sofia's Pirogov Hospital. His condition stabilized, but he was on an artificial respirator. The police are currently investigating the crime, a 23-year old suspect, nicknamed "The Dumbbell," with a long criminal record, has been detained hours after the attack. Bulgaria's Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, used the speed of the arrest as an argument for success in the country's battle against organized crime, in the speech he gave two days after the stabbing.

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012/2/27/2828781/bellator-heavyweight-blagoi-ivanov-stabbed-heart-bulgaria-life:

According to Bulgaria's Sofia News Agency, the fighter remains in critical condition on artificial life support.

Ivanov and two friends were allegedly attacked by eight individuals armed with bats and knives immediately after arriving to a bar on Graf Ignatiev Street. Police arrived at 5:10 a.m. to discover the assailants missing and a deep stab wound under Ivanov's armpit that was later found to have pierced his heart.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

gimpsuitjones posted:

Do those MT ankle wrap/sock things help when you accidentally kick someone's elbow with your foot?

Depending on how tight they are, and how hard you kick, they can. Keeps the tiny bones in your foot a bit more compressed, so it can reduce the risk of injury. Still going to hurt like a mother fucker though

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

This might be interesting to some people here: A 17th century wrestling manual in English. With pictures!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm interested in starting to train, most likely at a BJJ or MMA dojo, and I was wondering if there were any good websites that rated dojos by area? Also anyone know a good spot on Oahu?

Chris Leben has a gym in Honolulu. I have no idea about it's quality though.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Anyone have a good lowdown on MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo places to train at out of Winnipeg? Im going to be working there on a contract for 2 months in May/June. Im coming off my injury, and I think to get into the mindset I want to mainly train in Muay Thai/Kickboxing since its something i havent delved into enough, and because come July/August I'll be in a town that doesn't seem to have that good of a MMA gym (its one of those "Sanshou/Kung Fu MMA" bullshit places that Im not interested in) so instead Im looking at doing BJJ and crosstraining in Judo while Im in that town. Plus my physiotherapist seems to be only keen on letting me do a little bit of kickboxing come May, and only getting back into BJJ/Judo in June.

TL:DR: places to train out of in Winnipeg

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

nemoulette posted:

I had my first tournament after training for two years semi-regularly. Very happy with it, won three matches where I didn't look very good at all in retrospect (it's embarrassing watching videos of yourself) and then a powerful dude took me down and armbarred me really quickly ("sadly", believe it or not, the video of that got corrupted in my camera somehow). I especially should've been able to finish the second match. Overall the guys felt a lot less experienced but a great today so anyway, I've had a big hang up on actually competing in the past so it was really euphoric afterwards.

Videos were kind of out of focus somehow. I'm the blonde in the faded black gi.

First match

Second match

Third match

Nice pass at :32 of the first match
Did you almost get caught in a reverse triangle there? OR were both your arms out?
Good job on the knee on belly, what I noticed is that mid transition at 1:38 you probably could have gotten an armbar. But then again you got one a couple seconds later on the other arm :D

Slick european double in the second match.
I like how you hold his left ankle with your left hand to pass at 2:02
Were you trying to go for a north south choke at 2:35?
Good sweep at 5:12

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Rhaka posted:

This might be interesting to some people here: A 17th century wrestling manual in English. With pictures!

This was really interesting and the third part was very recognisable. The second part reads like RBSD and is hilariously unpleasant.

mewse
May 2, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Anyone have a good lowdown on MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo places to train at out of Winnipeg? Im going to be working there on a contract for 2 months in May/June. Im coming off my injury, and I think to get into the mindset I want to mainly train in Muay Thai/Kickboxing since its something i havent delved into enough, and because come July/August I'll be in a town that doesn't seem to have that good of a MMA gym (its one of those "Sanshou/Kung Fu MMA" bullshit places that Im not interested in) so instead Im looking at doing BJJ and crosstraining in Judo while Im in that town. Plus my physiotherapist seems to be only keen on letting me do a little bit of kickboxing come May, and only getting back into BJJ/Judo in June.

WAMMA is the best MMA gym in Winnipeg, run by Curtis Brigham.

Canadian Fighting Center is decent.

I train boxing at Elite boxing and MMA, the MMA stuff ("MMA", grappling, kickboxing) is run on the weekends by the WAMMA guys.

I don't really know about Muay Thai/kickboxing or Judo places but I can talk about all the local boxing clubs.

There's a weekly kickboxing thing run through the leisure guide that is pretty cheap but it starts April 14 so it doesn't really fit your timeline.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Echoing Mewse, go train at WAMMA. Best MMA/BJJ in the city (produced Roland Delorme, Featherweight in the UFC).

Has a few other tiny punch men who will be absolute killers as well.

http://www.facebook.com/winnipegmma is their facebook page. Drop Curtis a line and see if you like the club!

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Had my first beginner's competition yesterday, i did ok, but oh boy, that STRESS !

How do you manage the anxiety ? I had to wait like 2 hours before performing my first set of moves in front of the jury, then i had to wait the whole afternoon before the tournament's beginning, and the waiting in both case was a TORTURE.

Any tips ?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Smoke weed

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Very cool, thanks!

attackmole posted:

Chris Leben has a gym in Honolulu. I have no idea about it's quality though.

Despite the poo poo that goes on in his personal life, Chris is a really good coach with a very well rounded game, or at least he was in 2006.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Any goons besides me competing at the Pan Jiu Jitsu championship this weekend?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
A guy from my gym is competing at medium heavy blue belt

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

Nice pass at :32 of the first match
Did you almost get caught in a reverse triangle there? OR were both your arms out?
Good job on the knee on belly, what I noticed is that mid transition at 1:38 you probably could have gotten an armbar. But then again you got one a couple seconds later on the other arm :D

Slick european double in the second match.
I like how you hold his left ankle with your left hand to pass at 2:02
Were you trying to go for a north south choke at 2:35?
Good sweep at 5:12
Thanks for you thoughts!

No, he just had my head squeezed in which led me to believe that he was very inexperienced probably (the audible sound as I put pressure from knee on belly kind of confirmed that, too).

It really wasn't a double at all, it was more a lovely non-committing attempt at a single (just like the ones I did in the third match, but there I was really just hoping that he'd start stepping back with the legs that I kept grabbing so I could go for an o soto gari on the other one) where he overreacted by doing a lovely guard pull that I could capitalize on.

Yeah I really gassed out my arms badly when I went for the NS choke. Stupid idea anyway since I've never managed to finish one in sparring, and barely the ezekiel either for that matter (but I got advantages for both I think so that's good), those two attempts are pretty much the reason I can't straighten my arms today :)

E: Had to double check on the 2:02 thing since I had no idea what it was in reference to, don't remember doing it either after watching, guess it's one of those things that came instinctually. I love it when things come instinctually. In the future, maybe I'll instinctually remember to sprawl...

For reference, I found the match I lost horribly and looked terrible in:

http://youtu.be/U0wEsyZ6Vw8

It's great and awkward to watch videos of yourself, once you get over the embarrassment you really pick up on your bad habits.

widunder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ugrok posted:

Had my first beginner's competition yesterday, i did ok, but oh boy, that STRESS !

How do you manage the anxiety ? I had to wait like 2 hours before performing my first set of moves in front of the jury, then i had to wait the whole afternoon before the tournament's beginning, and the waiting in both case was a TORTURE.

Any tips ?

Xanax. It stopped my adrenaline dump too from what I can tell.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

mewse posted:

WAMMA is the best MMA gym in Winnipeg, run by Curtis Brigham.

Canadian Fighting Center is decent.

I train boxing at Elite boxing and MMA, the MMA stuff ("MMA", grappling, kickboxing) is run on the weekends by the WAMMA guys.

I don't really know about Muay Thai/kickboxing or Judo places but I can talk about all the local boxing clubs.

There's a weekly kickboxing thing run through the leisure guide that is pretty cheap but it starts April 14 so it doesn't really fit your timeline.

I'll definitely try both and see which one I like (plus whichever is closer to where Ill be staying is a plus too)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Rhaka posted:

Instructionals have really gotten better in the last few hundred years.
I wonder what clothes these guys trained in.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 26, 2012

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

Guilty posted:

The big flashing warning sign that's going off in my head is not the fact that your gym made up those rules, but the fact that your gym would let you fight under those conditions. Your gym is supposed to have your back at all times and make sure you don't get hosed by bullshit like that. They're the ones who are supposed to clean up all the drat messes and all you should do is think about your fight. The fact that they let you fight in a poo poo style tournament like that is a sign that they're not doing a great job looking out for you.

To be honest this is about the one thing that's really been bugging me; I definitely felt as though I didn't have any back up this tournament. I really like the gym other than that.

I'm feeling torn because I know the gym has a good reputation; I feel like I'm learning a lot and there are lots of classes and different programs being offered every day of the week, and I quite like a few of the instructors. Ultimately I want to end up fighting MMA so I don't mind too much if the Muay Thai isn't super awesome as long as the overall ground game/ standup skills are there.

But I really felt like I was on my own for this tournament, and like you say, that's not a good thing. *shrugs*

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I got a chance to stop in at this place http://www.boxinggyms.com/jurupa.htm today and it doesn't appear to be a sketchy pedo honeypot lol. I didn't get a chance to check out the facilities too in depth, but its a pretty large complex with a bunch of bags and a full size ring. The dude I briefly talked to showed me their list of trainers and theres like 20+ of them and he told me I'd get one on one training when I went, so thats cool. The price seems right for me ($25 a month). I don't have gloves or wraps but I can buy wraps there and borrow everything else until I want to get my own. I'm looking forward to starting real soon!

One question though about applying for my US Boxing license. Can I use an expired passport as my proof of US residence? I can't seem to find my birth certificate and I'd like to start soon, not 3 months from now when the county finally sends me a copy of it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Got to roll for the first time tonight for 30 minutes. Good lord I had no clue what I was doing other than trying to stay on top or get to the back. At least I didn't get submitted, but I am sure that is probably going to happen soon (tomorrow).

edit: Also got a bit of mat burn on the top of my toes, but I guess that is probably pretty normal.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 27, 2012

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I was getting subbed every 30 seconds the first week or so of rolling. Remember, elbows in, hands protecting your neck.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
How did you roll for 30 minutes and not get tapped?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Illumination posted:

I got a chance to stop in at this place http://www.boxinggyms.com/jurupa.htm today and it doesn't appear to be a sketchy pedo honeypot lol.

Is that what the general public thinks of boxing gyms?

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Is that what the general public thinks of boxing gyms?

No, this was from a few pages back where I was posting links to places I was interested in training at and that link had one single page of information. I forget who it was I was corresponding with, but they said jokingly said it could be a good gym or a pedophile honeypot. No weird misconceptions here.

Illumination fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 27, 2012

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I went to my second BJJ class ever, rolled with another white belt and tapped him out a few times (had some newaza experience from judo) and then gassed really really hard and got owned for the remainder of the session. Call me the master :smug:

Guilty
May 3, 2003

PelirrojoLoco posted:

But I really felt like I was on my own for this tournament, and like you say, that's not a good thing. *shrugs*

Ultimately you're going to do better when people are supporting you.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

ice ice ice oh god i love ice

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Well, I've just come back from trying out this BJJ place. It was... ok. I was expecting much more technique drills and less discussion of theory. I'd rather practise an escape twenty times with a partner than practise it about five times and then go on to the next thing.

Also, the second half of the class was straight aerobic exercise (jogging, burpies etc) followed by the instructor picking two guys to fight while the rest of the class watched. That's great and all, but I'm not learning much watching two guys fight, I'd rather be drilling the techniques...

Also, one of the guys got choked out. The gurgling noise he made scared the poo poo out of me, but it didn't phase anyone else (or him, when he came to).

I'm not sure. It seemed okay, but I think it'll take forever to build up technical muscle memory the way they're teaching.

Is that how BJJ is usually taught? More emphasis on theory than drills? A lot of the time was spent discussing tactics. Seems more useful for a higher-level class (this was a beginners' class)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Go to a few more classes, it might just be a laid-back gym.

Although not rolling kinda blows.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 27, 2012

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
We did a bit. After the drills, such as they were, he set an objective for the guy on top and for the guy on the bottom and told us to go at it. That's great and all, but I could barely remember the techniques we'd just done. Also, the problem was I was up against white belts. So it sort of devolved a bit. I'd like to go to one of the other classes and train with folks who actually know what they're doing, it'd probably be a lot better.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Hydrolith posted:

Well, I've just come back from trying out this BJJ place. It was... ok. I was expecting much more technique drills and less discussion of theory. I'd rather practise an escape twenty times with a partner than practise it about five times and then go on to the next thing.

Also, the second half of the class was straight aerobic exercise (jogging, burpies etc) followed by the instructor picking two guys to fight while the rest of the class watched. That's great and all, but I'm not learning much watching two guys fight, I'd rather be drilling the techniques...

Also, one of the guys got choked out. The gurgling noise he made scared the poo poo out of me, but it didn't phase anyone else (or him, when he came to).

I'm not sure. It seemed okay, but I think it'll take forever to build up technical muscle memory the way they're teaching.

Is that how BJJ is usually taught? More emphasis on theory than drills? A lot of the time was spent discussing tactics. Seems more useful for a higher-level class (this was a beginners' class)
The best way is to just ask what classes usually are like.

In my experience, a regular class at your bog standard BJJ gym would be warm-ups, technique drills and then sparring. Throw more acrobatics, hardcore workouts, (cf stuff, tabatas, body weight exercises with a partner) or stretching in the mix at your convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Hydrolith posted:

Not really, but this varies a lot from place to place. I'd give it another few classes before you dismiss the club entirely! A lot of places don't have special periods of of year when they start recruiting beginners, so as a complete beginner you might end up jumping into more advanced techniques and concepts even in a beginner's class~
That said, if they drilled a ton of different techniques without stopping to focus on at least one of them, that's not how I'd instruct- but maybe they have a plan!

nemoulette posted:

The best way is to just ask what classes usually are like.

In my experience, a regular class at your bog standard BJJ gym would be warm-ups, technique drills and then sparring. Throw more acrobatics, hardcore workouts, (cf stuff, tabatas, body weight exercises with a partner) or stretching in the mix at your convenience.

Also this. ^

• Locked thread