Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The Walker posted:

I think the funniest part to me is that he decided to open his own door very close to, but not on top of the real door.

My guess was that he reached for the door handle in case anyone nearby saw him, so as to not attract suspicion, then quickly switched to his own teledoor when the coast was clear. It just looks funny either way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waffnuffly posted:

My guess was that he reached for the door handle in case anyone nearby saw him, so as to not attract suspicion, then quickly switched to his own teledoor when the coast was clear. It just looks funny either way, though.

Nope, the door handle is on the side he didn't punch through. You can see it in panel 3.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh wow, you're right. Totally missed that. Guess he just doesn't give a poo poo and will walk through any door that gets in his way.

Donald is great; I'm glad he's gotten some more screen time.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

He probably had to use his pocket door in order to avoid any locks and alarms on the real door.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

He might just not care where he slaps the door on the wall so long as it opens to where he needs to go which in this case would be more or less near where the physical door opens.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Whitenoise Poster posted:

He probably had to use his pocket door in order to avoid any locks and alarms on the real door.

This. A medical supply room will of course have alarms and security measures. And sure, Donny probably could have used other means to get past them, but Donny doesn't break into rooms like a common thief; Donny has STYLE.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So Annie doesn't consider her father a real person.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Kassad posted:

So Annie doesn't consider her father a real person.

I don't think that she doesn't consider him a person, and more that she hasn't thought of him as anything other than her father.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Realizing that your parents are people is something that happens in the process of growing up.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah Tony and Donny are totally the Annie and Kat of their generation.

Now that they're nabbing medical supplies, I'm all into the current plot again. Perhaps it will give us a clue as to what Anthony has been up to? I'm sure we won't get all the answers in this chapter, but we may get one of those fun hints that raises even more questions.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Olivia42 posted:

Now that they're nabbing medical supplies, I'm all into the current plot again. Perhaps it will give us a clue as to what Anthony has been up to? I'm sure we won't get all the answers in this chapter, but we may get one of those fun hints that raises even more questions.

Maybe Annie IS Microsat 5?!?!

:goonsay:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I, personally, still have hopes for Anthony. Perhaps he saw how Surma ended up, and is working on a way to prevent Annie from the same.

Nah, too obvious, also being a stern parent with a "no boys until 30" stance could've fixed that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Olivia42 posted:

Man, I guess Annie will be a bad parent. Oh wait she'll be dead

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Zorak posted:

:iceburn:

....Wait :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zorak posted:

At the very least we know she'll be colder than Tony is.

...I'm a terrible person. :smith:

Man, Donald was probably a terrible roommate if he had that portable door during his school years. You'd be in the bathroom and the dude would just bust through the door to grab his deodorant or something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

I, personally, still have hopes for Anthony. Perhaps he saw how Surma ended up, and is working on a way to prevent Annie from the same.

Nah, too obvious, also being a stern parent with a "no boys until 30" stance could've fixed that.

No boys ever. :colbert:

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Elysiume posted:

I thought that sword looked familiar, and then I noticed the sheath on her back. Awesome!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Zorak posted:

She could always adopt!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

idonotlikepeas posted:

She could always adopt!

This really seems like the obvious solution.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

She could always adopt!

Well, she and Kat can't have kids naturally after they get married, so...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

This really seems like the obvious solution.
So obvious, it makes me wonder why Annie's mother/grandmother/etc never thought of it...

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

DaveWoo posted:

So obvious, it makes me wonder why Annie's mother/grandmother/etc never thought of it...

The fire in their soul probably compels them to reproduce naturally.

Didn't we have a big old discussion about this just a few pages back?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

DaveWoo posted:

Adoption in the modern sense -- adopting a young child or an infant -- is a fairly new concept. Prior to something ridiculous like the 1950s, adoption was a thing done if you had no heirs and then it was almost always of an adult.

If I recall correctly.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I just binged the whole archive.
In one day.
One thing I never expected to read was a Harry Potter/X-Files/Princess Mononoke mash-up, but I'll be damned if it isn't the most charming experience, painted with the most subtle strokes.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

DaveWoo posted:

I supposed that the fire in Annie's soul is unique, and to not have (presumably) a daughter would be to snuff it out.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Male Man posted:

I supposed that the fire in Annie's soul is unique, and to not have (presumably) a daughter would be to snuff it out.

How's that any different from dying?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Brannock posted:

How's that any different from dying?

We know people's souls survive their death in this universe and are Shepherded somewhere beyond. Annie has taken part in dozens of these crossings personally.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Rasamune posted:

The fire in their soul probably compels them to reproduce naturally.

Didn't we have a big old discussion about this just a few pages back?

I don't recall if we went over this point specifically (although I wouldn't be surprised), but I expect you're right. It's in the nature of fire to want to propagate itself.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
So the surgical equipment wont be used to get what Tony wanted. It is what Tony wanted.

It just occurred to me that those supplies could very well shoot up into the sky only to be shot right back down into another part of the Court we haven't seen before. Unless I'm grossly overestimating the size of the Court, Tony could very well be using his private satellite as a way of getting the supplies he needs without risking being spotted in the inhabited areas of the Court or having his runner get caught. It would also explain why he can't just go get new supplies himself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anthony's used to live(?) in a hospital. And now he needs medical supplies.

There's a connection here.

He wants these scalpels so badly that he's willing to break the silence he has so carefully maintained over the years in order to get them, though apparently he was still careful not to be discovered. He wants these medical supplies more than he wanted to speak with his own daughter - and not because he didn't want to speak with her.

Moreover, for some reason, he can't acquire them by conventional means. In the hospital he'd have had ample access to this sort of equipment, so whatever he's doing with all of this stuff, he could've been doing for years and years. Somehow I get the feeling he's not just running a clinic somewhere; this is giving off some seriously sinister vibes. There aren't many other ethical things a person can do with that many sterile disposable blades.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Donny and Anthony sent satellites into orbit as a hobby. Said satellites are still there in a stable orbit.

As a hobby.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

1stGear posted:

Donny and Anthony sent satellites into orbit as a hobby. Said satellites are still there in a stable orbit.

As a hobby.

Well, they do teach science.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, it is really weird that Tony would ask for medical supplies to be delivered like that. It gives me the feeling that he's on the run from something.

Reminding everyone of the ComicMix webcomic tournament: Gunnerkrigg's made it to the final 16 and is currently beating Penny Arcade!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

1stGear posted:

As a hobby.

Makes sense really, Kat made an anti-grav unit in order to experiment the effect of protein crystal growth in zero gravity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Orbital scalpel drop. Oh god oh god oh god

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
So Donald can just fzzap all his rocket supplies into existence whenever he needs them? He's the coolest nerd ever.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Didn't Kat build an anti-gravity displacement vehicle when Annie fell down the ravine. Building satellites as a hobby seems pretty easy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Especially with court technology to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

1stGear posted:

As a hobby.

S'matter? You didn't have an Estes Satellite Kit as a kid, or somethin'?