Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
Vinyl pre-orders are up http://hellomerch.com/sh/index.php?...uemart&Itemid=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

travislopes posted:

Vinyl pre-orders are up http://hellomerch.com/sh/index.php?...uemart&Itemid=2

Must resist urge to buy the vinyl..

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Got my pre-order in last night when the servers were getting hammered. Kinda sucks that we won't see it until June though. I might just have to buy a CD for the first time in a while.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

llibja posted:

Got my pre-order in last night when the servers were getting hammered. Kinda sucks that we won't see it until June though. I might just have to buy a CD for the first time in a while.

Can't you just buy the digital version?

I can understand buying the vinyl edition due to the size of the art and all the extra poo poo, but there's not much point to CD's anymore.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Webbeh posted:

Must resist urge to buy the vinyl..

I resisted for about as long as it took for the page to load. Looks like an awesome package.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Can't you just buy the digital version?

I can understand buying the vinyl edition due to the size of the art and all the extra poo poo, but there's not much point to CD's anymore.

This is so very right. If I can't wait/procure the vinyl version (that usually has a digital download on it) then I'm probably heading to Zune/iTunes. I have boxes full of CD's that we're still trying to figure out how to store in the new house. If I had the patience and cash to provide a proper back up system, I'd rip the whole shebang and sell them all for mac and cheese money.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Man I kind love The Malkin Jewel, it's just so delightfully weird.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I find this album so, so boring. I think I only like the first album all the way through and then 1-3 songs off each subsequent album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got an e-mail from TMV a little while ago saying that the album is coming out one day early now. It's on their Facebook too.

Noctourniquet's new release date is on Monday the 26th.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got an e-mail from TMV a little while ago saying that the album is coming out one day early now. It's on their Facebook too.

Noctourniquet's new release date is on Monday the 26th.

I wonder what the logic behind this was. Perhaps to attempt to offset the leak (although, how does a one day reduction do that)? Or to simply keep the hype alive?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

I find this album so, so boring. I think I only like the first album all the way through and then 1-3 songs off each subsequent album.

Now that it's sunk in some I think I pretty much agree sadly. :( About this and the other albums. Although, I also like all of Tremulant which was pre-Deloused.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I haven't really been able to get into this album too much after listening quite a few times. Except for Molochwalker, that song is awesome. I want the second half to last forever. Cedric sounds awesome when he's loud and not sounding all whiney.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
gently caress every single closed minded hater in this thread. I am so tired of people wishing TMV would just go back and be exactly like whatever album you liked most. It will never happen, so stop whining and either embrace whatever their new flavor of the year is or stop listening. Christ.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Instantoxen posted:

gently caress every single closed minded hater in this thread. I am so tired of people wishing TMV would just go back and be exactly like whatever album you liked most. It will never happen, so stop whining and either embrace whatever their new flavor of the year is or stop listening. Christ.

I think most people in this thread actually seem to enjoy the album. Not many people have come in to say it's disappointing.

Personally, I'm to the point where this album might be tied with De-Loused, and I can easily see it becoming my all-time favorite TMV record. It's loving amazing, and I find new things to love about it every time I hear it. Cannot wait for the vinyl.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 21, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ummm, having lovely opinions and wanting Cedric and Omar to go back to something that came before what they're doing now is a sacred tradition among their most ardent followers. I contend that you are the one who should shut up, stop immediately enjoying their most current albums, and start toeing the drat line.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Instantoxen posted:

Tosser.

Hoof
May 17, 2009

Parks' hi-hat in The Malkin Jewel and Lapochka sounds like mosquitoes in my ear, which is what Cedric said would not be on the album. He lied.

Cedric posted:

Sorry no spanish on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”

Liar. You are a liar.

The album sounds great though. It's definitely Cedric's album. I'm in love with the lyrics, which I could go on and on about but should probably keep that poo poo in the comatorium. I can't wait to hear what the band will sound like as a collaboration. I'm personally hoping for some more guitar driven progressive rock, but I'd probably enjoy whatever they do.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Instantoxen posted:

The only album I hear people say "is their only good one" is Deloused.

But yeah, it's annoying as hell. It's also a amateurish prog record (a ten minute water dripping sequence is deep, man) and their song writing has only improved since.

This album is pretty drat good, I'm actually surprised that they did such a good job at making a conventional album. Reminds me of Omar's Tychozorente.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 22, 2012

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Instantoxen posted:

I really like this album, but the biggest hurdle for me in loving this is the production (specifically, Cedric's voice). Omar, hand over your production duties please.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I thought this had the most interesting production that TMV has turned out yet. I like it a lot :(

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'm really digging the album, but one thing so far that's really sticking with me is that The Malkin Jewel really reminds me of old Marilyn Manson (Portrait/Smells like Children) haha. Maybe that's just me though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WASDF posted:

I thought this had the most interesting production that TMV has turned out yet. I like it a lot :(

I like it a lot too, I agree Cedric's voice sounds a bit whack, but it always has. My only complaint is it could have a little more bass, especially the synth parts. Otherwise yeah I think it's a very well made album.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Speaking of production...

quote:

Mars Volta and At the Drive-In's Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Is a Real Bastard
By Erica E. Phillips Thursday, Mar 22 2012

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez wears the same thing every day: teal-colored jeans and a fitted canvas jacket. His eyes are intent behind his glasses; his focus is acute. For the bulk of his 35 years he's been consumed with expressing his creative vision. Relentless in the pursuit of his own voice, he has alienated friends and collaborators. By his own admission, he's behaved like a dictator.

"I've been a real bastard over the years," he admits, perched on a couch in the top-floor sun room of his Echo Park production offices, looking out over L.A.'s sun-soaked Eastside hills. "All in the name of following my vision."

Wiry thin, he has an Einstein-style wild mess of dark hair and big, round, smudgy spectacles. He's the kind of guy who forgets to eat, shower or brush his teeth when he gets on a roll writing music.

He certainly has his admirers; devoted Mars Volta fans liken the band's members to gods. They obsess over their innovative, genre-shattering, long-winded compositions, full of changing time signatures, singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala's high-pitched howling vocals and Rodriguez-Lopez's experimental guitar riffs.

But he senses that something's coming to an end. The Mars Volta's sixth album, Noctourniquet, goes on sale this week, and Rodriguez-Lopez is calling it his swan song with them. The band isn't necessarily calling it quits, he clarifies. "But something has to change drastically in it. I have to step down as a dictator."

He has decided to actually start collaborating with the folks he makes music with. What a concept.

First up on Rodriguez-Lopez's new agenda is getting back together with seminal post-hardcore outfit At the Drive-In for Coachella this year.

At the Drive-In formed in 1993 in El Paso, where Rodriguez-Lopez spent much of his youth. He was hitchhiking around the country when longtime friend Bixler-Zavala urged him to come home and join the group as its bassist. He later switched over to guitar.

At the Drive-In amassed a large underground audience during the mid- to late '90s, but Rodriguez-Lopez says he eventually got tired of "having a meeting about every single detail, every single note."

One day he blew up, he says, and he and Bixler-Zavala set out on their own.

But about four years ago, while living in Guadalajara, Mexico, Rodriguez-Lopez called up his old bandmates and invited them for a visit. They hung out and talked about old times, and he says he apologized for how he had behaved. "I knew that was my duty — to me as a person, first and foremost, not even to them," he says. "To admit it to myself and to say it out loud."

Born in Puerto Rico, he says his upbringing has a lot to do with why he's been focused on personal expression for so long.

The second of five boys, Rodriguez-Lopez was raised by hippie parents who ate vegetarian, fasted every Sunday and read ancient religious texts as a family. At a very young age, he says, he was taught to "examine the deeper meaning in things."

But the family's home was also one where salsa and bolero music played constantly. Having never been classically trained as a musician — or trained at all, really — he calls this part of his life his true musical education. Though largely it was just plain noisy. "The loudest person in the room was the one who got to speak, because everyone was speaking at the same time."

He now realizes that this affected how he's wired, and he believes that coming to terms with it helped him make amends with At the Drive-In. Since January, when the band members announced their Coachella reunion, they've also added summer shows in Spain, the United Kingdom and Japan.

In fact, it was the last time Rodriguez-Lopez played in Japan (with the Mars Volta last summer) that push came to shove with that group. It was there that Bixler-Zavala said he was tired of Rodriguez-Lopez running everything. "He was, like, 'Listen, you've had your way for 10 years. It's been your band, your project, we do everything you want ... that isn't a collaboration,' " Rodriguez-Lopez recalls. "And he's right, it hasn't been."

How it usually worked was this: Rodriguez-Lopez would record each musician's parts separately, and only when he was finished with the mix would Bixler-Zavala hear the music. Then Bixler-Zavala would write and record his vocals in isolation before handing it back to Rodriguez-Lopez, who'd finish it.

But for the recording of Noctourniquet — which actually was started more than three years ago — Rodriguez-Lopez took things even further, playing most of the individual parts himself. After he turned the record over to Bixler-Zavala, momentum stalled. It wasn't until late last year that the vocalist tackled his part, and only after the assurance from Rodriguez-Lopez that this would be the last record they made together with Rodriguez-Lopez driving the creative process.

As for the album, he says, "Whatever people think about the record is irrelevant. The only important thing is the process. Making this record got me and Cedric to that point in our relationship and that point in the band, and that's what's important."

Listening to it now, he says, the music on Noctourniquet "sounds like an old friend, but it sounds dated to me."

For the last nine months, Rodriguez-Lopez has taken up temporary residence in Highland Park. Before that, he'd been living in Guadalajara with his then-girlfriend, singer-actress Ximena Sariñana. They broke up a year ago and he decided to move back to El Paso to be closer to his parents and brothers.

He says there's no ill will between him and Sariñana, "but life takes you on different paths, you know?" He doesn't disclose if he's currently romantically involved with anyone.

His stint in L.A. has him playing bass and producing an album for garage punkers Le Butcherettes. At the same time, he and his longtime editor Adam Thomson have finished up his fifth feature-length film, Los Chidos. The movie premiered at South by Southwest earlier this month.

Rodriguez-Lopez plans to head back to El Paso to open a new recording studio. The offices of Rodriguez-Lopez Productions — which manages his labels, licensing and mail-order operations — will remain in Echo Park.

That's where he's camped out this morning, his mind meandering from great existential questions to the topic of Mexican drug cartels. Suddenly he's questioning his decision to eat a waffle for breakfast; the sugar, he complains, is making it hard to concentrate.

But maybe that's OK; perhaps he could use a little less focus. After all, his bandmates and his film collaborators have finally gotten through to him, it appears, and they're more than happy to bear a bit of the artistic load.

"I'm entering a new era, thank God," he says. "At 35 years of age I feel like I've just entered my body, like the way one feels maybe just when you're born or something. I can now, just barely, get started."

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's a great article. I knew Omar was always the guy in charge, but I didn't realize he was that controlling. It'll be interesting to see how TMV as a collaboration will work. That seems like the kind of thing that would lead to a person like Omar getting bored and deciding to quit.

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
I think Omar is already at that bored phase. Instead of creating now he seems content to be going along with others ideas. Between Le Butcherettes, ATDI & Noctourniquet he is taking a backseat compared to past input. It really seems to me his current creative outlet is film. In one of his recent interviews for "Los Chidos" he flat out said he loves making films and making music just pays his bills. Of course some of that is hype to promote his movie but I have no doubt there is truth in it.
If this is a good thing for us only time will tell.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Has anyone seen any of his films? I had no idea he had made five of them. Dude is prolific as poo poo.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
If Omar needs to make money, he should release some more solo albums. We've been waiting for new jams, Bromar. :argh:

I have a feeling we'll get a deluge a la the 2010 release bonanza, hopefully later this year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I would be very interested to see what Omar could do with an entirely different group of musicians. I love the TMV crew and the people who usually show up on his solo albums, but it'd also be great to see him try something really different like a more metal album or a straight up techno album. One of the most different albums is the ORL Trio album which is a more acoustic and traditional sound than his others, and that one is brilliant, so I'd love to see him take more steps away from the very electric guitar driven prog/psych sound, as much as I love it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2012

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
I think only 2 films made it to public screenings. Sentimental Engine Slayer shown at TriBeCa & the new one at SXSW.

Hoof
May 17, 2009

Omar's definitely in that bored phase for Noctourniquet. Those fan question videos are great, he talks in the first few, then says nothing as Cedric talks, then by the last one he's not even there.

And that interview says he was hitchhiking in his youth but didn't he get addicted to opiates or something? I'd be interested in more information from this point in Omar's life. Sounds like a William S Burroughs adventure.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
For some reason, this just released in Australia on iTunes. Will let you know how it sounds.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listened to this all the way through again today, and I wasn't feeling it as much as I did a few weeks ago. Several of the songs can be great on their own, but overall, it doesn't feel like a cohesive effort.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I like the new album, but two recent thoughts about Bedlam:

1. I'd never listened to it in a car before, and well, Bedlam does not pass the car test. There's barely any bass to speak of except for in a small handful of songs.

2. The "never heard a man speak like this man before / all the days of my life ever since I've been born" part of Goliath - isn't that part directly lifted from something? A hymn maybe? I googled the lyrics and I found nothing but lyrics to the album itself. I remember when the album came out, someone found an old recording of some people singing it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Final Fart Buttball posted:

2. The "never heard a man speak like this man before / all the days of my life ever since I've been born" part of Goliath - isn't that part directly lifted from something? A hymn maybe? I googled the lyrics and I found nothing but lyrics to the album itself. I remember when the album came out, someone found an old recording of some people singing it.
It's a reference to the cult suicide at Jonestown.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/transcript/jonestown-transcript/

I also remember someone dug up a recording of someone singing the song/hymn in question, but I can't find it at the moment.
Maybe it was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVk3ne4GRc#t=4m30s

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 27, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Final Fart Buttball posted:

1. I'd never listened to it in a car before, and well, Bedlam does not pass the car test. There's barely any bass to speak of except for in a small handful of songs.

Yeah, this is really my biggest complaint about TMV in general, very little bass. I feel like it's especially an issue on the new album because the sound is more synth driven and lacks the fullness that the use of organs on previous albums at least kind of provided.

I rarely listen to Bedlam in it's entirely but Ilyena is a great track and I listen to that one on it's own all the time.

imonfireahhhh
Dec 28, 2006
AC/DC sucks.
I love the new album, it is so much better then Octehedron and Bedlam, I honestly had low expectations after hearing The Malkin Jewel. But man, this is a great album, finally! The end of Molochwalker and Dyslexicon really sold me on it.

Also, I saw Omar singing backup in a live version of Dyslexicon, when did he start doing that? I know he sang an entire solo album but I thought he just didn't do it in Mars Volta. Anyway, it's awesome.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
He started doing backup vocals during the octahedron tour, though I'm sure there are some really early videos with him doing back up on drunkship.

travel by foot
Jul 31, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Wow, thanks that's a cool find. I knew that was the inspiration for those lyrics but actually hearing that guy singing it was kind of chilling.

Monroe
May 7, 2010

Incoherence posted:

It's a reference to the cult suicide at Jonestown.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/transcript/jonestown-transcript/

I also remember someone dug up a recording of someone singing the song/hymn in question, but I can't find it at the moment.

I found the song. I'm sorry, it's on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/peoplestemplechoir/music/songs/i-ain-t-never-heard-a-man-20769445

As for Noctouriquet, I still haven't formed an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I would like to see some more Noctourniquet discussion going on here.

Listening to this in the car while driving to SFO, I went from excitement to cautious optimism to detachment to dissapointment. I would liken myself to a ballon losing its air. Upon arriving at my destination, I put the album on for my father (a fellow volta enthusiast) to explain why I was disheartened with it. Yet, the strangest thing happened. I kept saying things like,

"This song is really terrible, listen to this.... actually, yeah, wait that part is alright, but wait until this... hmm, well I guess there is more than to that than thought"

I repeatedly did this until I felt like an idiot for initially trash talking the album to my father. This happen to anyone else?

Random Thoughts:

- Part of the reason I kept coming back to this album, even after my intial disappointment, was that parts of songs kept filtering into my head driving me insane until I would listen to them again. Even songs that I didn't especially like at first. This happen to anyone else? If so, which songs?

- Does anyone like "Trinkets of Pale Moon"? Seriously? I find myself tolerating this song, nothing more. If so, please explain its attraction.

- Does it bother anyone else that every friggin song(with the exception of The Malkin Jewel) says the title in the lyrics?

- Along with that, holy gently caress do I love the lyrics of "The Malkin Jewel" not so much that fan video though.

- "In Absentia" poo poo yes. Probably my second favorite song on the album right now. I missed how good this song was the first few times I listened. There is something in the arrangement and vocals that give it such an intensity that they completely overwhelm the slow pace.

Edit: IM A LAAAAANDMINE, IM A LAAAAAANDMINE

Moatillata fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread