Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's some latest shots of how the viper is coming along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

How did you get that effect on the stripes? Tape?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

big_g posted:

Here's some latest shots of how the viper is coming along.

I can see a bright future of you and ebay separating wealthy manchildren from their money.

Excellent work.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Nebakenezzer posted:

How did you get that effect on the stripes? Tape?

No. I was going to use some form of mask at first thinking along the lines of Vallejo liquid mask.

But all I did in the end was lay down the basecoats and put on a couple of coats of varnish. I left this for a good two days to toughen up and then masked up and did the red stripes using thinned Tamiya paints in several light layers.

Once this had fully dried and cured I just scraped into the red with the blunt edge of a pair of small modelling scissors. Gives a nice realistic finish I think.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Hello all just a few updated pics of the Viper.

I just want to do the pilot/canopy now and perhaps do something more around the movement thrusters. Then one last coat of varnish and dull coat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trumpeter 1/72 AS-90. An artillery piece to hang out with my tiny tanks.

Made a few mistakes on this one...I've been extremely busy these last few weeks, and wanted something small to work on that I wouldn't kill myself over if something got messed up (IE that FW 200 I'm working on.) Mistake the first: used an oil wash ontop of enamel, not acrylic paint. When I removed the wash, I took some paint with it. 2) painted the treads before assembly, which produced headaches a plenty when it came time to assemble. I used spare tracks I had left over from my Challenger 2 project, as they looked exactly the same, and fit well with a tiny bit of trimming. Also, I used pastel dust for the first time, but I'm not sure how much it shows as I shot a clear coat of future over it before the final dull coat. Still, I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. Suggestions?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you asked me (which you kind of have) I'd tell you to ask someone else. That's a few levels above me at least. Bloody nice piece.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Given how much we like tiny tanks around here, this seems like the best place to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PN60CTFc5w&list=UU16hCs7XeniFuoJq0hm_-EA&index=1&feature=plcp

e: vv Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 8, 2012

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
The Viper is looking awesome, big_g. Beautiful weathering job. I am going to start mine soon and have been debating whether or not to use decals for the stripes. After seeing yours I think I will paint them.

Nebakenezzer, I have only used pastel dust once so I am by no means an expert, but I used them last in my weathering process after dull coating the entire model and sealed them with a fine mist of matte varnish. I had to do several rounds of dust/varnish to get some colors to show up well. From what I've read and experienced myself, anything more than a mist coat (and sometimes even that) will make the pastel dust disappear. Maybe next time you could cut down on the amount of clear coat and see if that helps.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Recently went to Japan and while I was there I decided to treat myself to a couple of Ma.k kits

Tonight I actually started to put together my Großer Hund, I only had a short gap so I all I managed to assemble was a foot.

I do actually have a question regarding the use of white putty for those in the know:

1. Is it always going to be a messy job no matter how careful I am? As you can see by the photo that there are streaks of residue all over the foot, am I being to fussy as painting will cover a multitude of sins

2. What is the best product to thin it with (that won't damage the surface of the kit)

3. Is Tamiya the best product on the market or should I go get myself some squadron putty?
(Tamiya is the easiest to get locally)

Sorry about the IPhone pics.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 10, 2012

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

No Pun Intended posted:

2. What is the best product to thin it with (that won't damage the surface of the kit)
I have only used it myself a couple of times but I remember reading that it can be thinned with acetone: http://www.briansmodelcars.com/forums/thread/256348
Acetone will also melt the plastic so don't use too much.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

No Pun Intended posted:

3. Is Tamiya the best product on the market or should I go get myself some squadron putty?
(Tamiya is the easiest to get locally)

I haven't used the Tamiya putty, so I can't make any comparisons. I got a tube of Squadron Green because that's what I had when I was a kid and the smell brings back nostalgic memories. It works okay for larger seams or holes. Dries hard and sands out pretty well. It may not be the best, but worth a try if you can find a tube for $3-4. I also tried Squadron Gray, but I think the tube had been sitting on the store shelf for several years and got funky. The tube I have is poo poo, but a fresh tube might be great stuff.

Last fall, I ordered 40ml jars of Mr. Surfacer 500, 1000, and 1200. The 1200 is fantastic for an airbrush primer (when thinned with lacquer thinner) and the 500 is excellent as a brush on seam filler. I have just been applying 500 as a seam filler with a brush and sanding it down and haven't tried using any solvents, but this page gives a writeup on his results with various methods and solvents.

He does say, "Methylated Spirits might be a little out of the range of practicality for most modelers", which isn't true at all. Methylated Spirits is another name for Denatured Alcohol and you can pick up a quart of it for under $10 at the hardware store.

Mr. Surfacer 500 seems kind of expensive ($13 for a 40ml bottle on Amazon), but one bottle is going to last a long time unless you are doing something really wrong.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Still workin' away on my AL Bluenose II - hampered of course by the bone retarded (sorry) instructions and the fact that I glued the bulkheads in the wrong place with Hot Stuff... what the ding dang!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Paul Coffey posted:

Still workin' away on my AL Bluenose II - hampered of course by the bone retarded (sorry) instructions and the fact that I glued the bulkheads in the wrong place with Hot Stuff... what the ding dang!

Is that a Hobbycraft kit? I've heard the instructions are the low point on those kits.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FW 200 updat:

I finished painting the splinter camo, and the blue-white undercolor. This all went well, except now some touching up needs to be done: one or two overspray accidents, plus touchup where tape took away a little paint. Also, I noticed that one or two areas of the splinter are not as distinct as the others, which will mean another go. I'm hoping to do all this second round painting stuff when I get the engine cowals figured out, as the upper parts need that new green too. This also gives me a chance to correct one or two little details that I realize I have photoetch replacements for.

The bigger problem is the forward turret. It's a circle where the turret fits inside a squarish-panel, but the panel doesn't seem to fit right for mysterious reasons, angling up at the front. I wanted to leave that panel unglued so you could see the interior better, but if it needs to be corrected with putty/glue I guess that idea's kibbosh'ed.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Hi guys! I'm pretty new to model making, haven't done it since I was a kid (32 years old now), and I wanted to get back in to it.

However I'm a bit scared. :ohdear: It's expensive! And I don't want to waste money and gently caress everything up and have my wife be mad at me. :(

Here's my current shopping list:

Dragon 1/35 Sherman Mk.III

REVELL CONTACTA PROFESSIONAL ADHESIVE

Milliput Standard Yellow-Grey 113.4g Pack

75mm L/40 M4 Sherman - Aluminium barrel - Scale 1:35

This adds up to a grand total of about $83 dollars. :ohdear:

This doesn't include paint, because I was thinking of holding off on that until I'm actually sure I enjoy building/am decent enough at it. Should I add a crappier/cheaper kit as well; as a practice before tackling the Dragon Sherman? Or just go for it?

edit: Or does anyone have a better Sherman model in mind?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 17, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Models don't look very good unpainted anyway. If you're really afraid of screwing it up, you can order some cheapo 1:72 tanks (there are some kits where you can get 2 for <$20, or <$10 if you can find an old Airfix kit) and practice on those.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I do pretty much all of my modeling in 20mil, and there's something hugely satisfying in making a tiny kit look good.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'd go for the Sherman if that's what you really want to do, unless there's a bunch of techniques you need to build it that you'd like to practice first. I actually built a kit for practice like that. If cost is a big deal, delete the aluminum barrel.

Remember, just concentrate on the basics first, then work your way up.

1. Construction
2. Paint
3. Fancy stuff

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
KiddieGrinder, I think you should get paint before you start. I personally like to build and paint in subassemblies if it looks like an area will be too hard to paint after gluing everything together. It might be frustrating to get your model built up only to realize that you should have painted something along the way.

Also, if that kit interests you then go for it. You're more likely to have fun an stick with it if you don't have to slog through a crappy kit.

And yes, modeling is an expensive hobby. Along with the costs of the kits themselves, there are always more paint colors to buy, consumables to replace, and specialized tools to try.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Thanks guys! I know what you mean about painting bits at a time, like in that amazing Huey build someone linked earlier. I think this is different though, as the Sherman doesn't have an interior and shouldn't pose much of an issue painting as a completed model. At least I hope. :ohdear:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Shermans are nice and round tanks, I don't think that you'll have any places where you will have trouble.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

who cares posted:

KiddieGrinder, I think you should get paint before you start. I personally like to build and paint in subassemblies if it looks like an area will be too hard to paint after gluing everything together. It might be frustrating to get your model built up only to realize that you should have painted something along the way.

Also, if that kit interests you then go for it. You're more likely to have fun an stick with it if you don't have to slog through a crappy kit.

And yes, modeling is an expensive hobby. Along with the costs of the kits themselves, there are always more paint colors to buy, consumables to replace, and specialized tools to try.

Seconding this and chiming in to add on getting a good kit to build as well. Slogging on a crappy kit on your first try can turn you off pretty quick.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hopefully someone can help me with my airbrush question. I bought a cheapo airbrush off ebay because I needed a non-fancy brush with a large gravity feed chamber to compliment my primary airbrush. The airbrush arrived yesterday and I have no idea how I'm supposed to hook an airbrush hose up to this thing.

New airbrush is the bottom one.

Does anyone know what I can get so I can attach my hose to this new airbrush, and if so, where can I get it? Home depot did not have any adapters that even come close to fitting an airbrush.

[edit]Better pic of the existing airbrush/hose (green) and new airbrush and connector that came with it (red)

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 19, 2012

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I recognize that type of fitting from working in a lab. It goes directly into a hose like this: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-50-1011-compressor/dp/B00396Z4XU There is no adapter; you just stick it on. You will, however, need some sort of fitting to attach your compressor to the hose.

http://www.paintandpowderstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=PPS-0168 This one, for example, has fittings on both ends. You could look for one that will fit your compressor and then just remove the one on the other end.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

InternetJunky posted:

[edit]Better pic of the existing airbrush/hose (green) and new airbrush and connector that came with it (red)

there is a 1/4" to airbrush adapter at harbor freight. I think it's how I fixed that problem. I'm not 100% sure.

Their cheapo $10 airbrushes have the same connector on the bottom.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-airbrush-adapter-68209.html

Also, you can grab one of these airbrush hoses to avoid the problem in a different manner.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-braided-nylon-airbrush-hose-95813.html

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Great Models webstore shuts down April 26th, and has sent out its last email. Fun fact from it: "1. Our top customer spent $143,626.65 from February 2005 to now." From the acquisition sale I got a 1/72 Jadgtiger from Italeri, another Challenger 2 for a particular project I have in mind, a set of Tamiya drill bits plus a pin vice, and some sable brushes.

This has not helped my kit backlog much. What's your kit backlog, thread?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 22, 2012

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

This has not helped my kit backlog much. What's your kit backlog, thread?
I just want to make you feel better about your backlog - I have ~20 kits. I think I may have a problem but at least it keeps me busy.
Buying stuff for this hobby is just too much fun.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Nebakenezzer posted:

What's your kit backlog, thread?

I'm currently working on an AMT Romulan Bird of Prey and a Moebius Viper Mk. II. In my backlog I have a Tamiya A6M5 Zero, an AMT Man in Space kit (set of 1/200 Mercury-Redstone, Mercury-Atlas, Gemini-Titan, Apollo-Saturn 1B and Apollo-Saturn V), and an Atomic City 1/12 Mercury capsule. The Mercury kit was the reason I wanted to get into modeling in the first place so I am saving it for some point in the future when I feel like I am good enough to build it how I want it.

Like any hobby modeling can become more about buying than actually doing so I try to limit the amount of kit shopping I do. However I do think it is a good thing to have a couple kits on hand in case I get hung up and need to change gears.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm working on that Fw 200, and am trying to get that done before moving on to my other half-completed kit, a 1/144 An-72. Other kits in the backlog:

- A Dragon 1/72 Challenger 2 like the one I built before, going to be a gift to a friend.

- Aforementioned 1/72 Jadgtiger.

- 1/72 Revell Germany T-72m.

- 1/144 " Eurofighter.

- 1/144 " Rafale M.

- 1/144 Beriev Be-12.

- 1/25 '96 Impala SS.

The shopping part is extremely fun in this internet age.

e: Feel free to post your Star Trek stuff in the Star Trek thread, whocares.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Due to work and travel and a bunch of other stuff my models have been neglected for quite a while and the backlog has gotten bigger.

About 10 years ago I was at a convention and one of the dealers was hlj.com. On Sunday shortly before the convention ended the guy running the booth offered me a dramatic discount on his inventory so he wouldn't have to pay to ship it home. So I ended with just over a dozen 1/100 Master Grade Gundam kits, ten 1/48 Dougram kits, Two Yamato/Starblazers ship collections(30 ships form the series, each about 4" long) and probably another forty kits of various scales from Gundam, Macross, Space Battleship Yamato, Gasaraki, Nausicaa, Captain Harlock and probably a few others. And it has all been sitting on basement shelves since then.

Add to that:

- AMT Millennium Falcon
- AMT Star Destroyer
- AMT Tie Fighters
- AMT USS Reliant
- AMT USS Enterprise (refit)
- AMT Klingon Battle Cruiser (x2)
- AMT Star Trek Adversary Set
- 1/6 Billiken Predator
- Maybe a dozen various resin figure kits
- 1/32 Trumpeter F4U-1D Corsair
- 1/32 Trumpeter P-38 Lightning
- 1/48 Revell P-61 Black Widow
- 1/48 Academy CH-53E Super Stallion
- 1/48 Hasagawa F4U Corsair
- 1/35 DML M1A2 tank
- 1/72 Italeri AC-119k Gunship
- And I have an HK Models 1/32 B-25J pre-ordered.

Really feeling the urge to start building again and I've got the time at the moment ...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FiendishThingy posted:

- And I have an HK Models 1/32 B-25J pre-ordered.

Holy cow, you're getting that thing? That's the kit with the real glass nose, right?

When it comes, you'll have to take pics for the thread. It must be huge!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FiendishThingy posted:

- AMT USS Reliant
- AMT USS Enterprise (refit)

Do these two first, then recreate the climatic battle from Wrath of Khan for our amusement.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Paint on battle damage during the re-enactment.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Holy cow, you're getting that thing? That's the kit with the real glass nose, right?

When it comes, you'll have to take pics for the thread. It must be huge!
The "Glass Nose" is still just plastic but it is a huge kit. Osprey has a review. Some additional photos here. I've wanted this kit since I first heard about it back when it was originally being made by Wingscale before they ran out of money.

The B-25 has always been my favorite WWII bomber, I've flown in the "Pacific Princess" and very briefly considered selling everything I own to buy the "Martha Jean" when it came up for sale last year. It'll be nice to have a large scale model of my favorite plane. I probably give it six moths or so before I start building it, see what kind of aftermarket detail sets get released for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ensign Expendable posted:

Paint on battle damage during the re-enactment.

1/2 way through the re-enactment he has to inexplicably bring a severely injured crewman to the bridge instead of sick bay. Then at the end of the battle he has to light an M-80 and stuff it into the Reliant. Right before the firecracker goes off he should run away with the enterprise model while going, "Woooooooooooosh!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blistex posted:

1/2 way through the re-enactment he has to inexplicably bring a severely injured crewman to the bridge instead of sick bay.

If I remember right one of the deleted scenes explained that crewman was Scotty's favorite nephew. Oh god don't derail the thread. :ohdear:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

If I remember right one of the deleted scenes explained that crewman was Scotty's favorite nephew. Oh god don't derail the thread. :ohdear:

Quickly, man! Your kit backlog!

Sedagive
Nov 14, 2007
I'm about to finish up my first model kit- Ma.K Melusine 1/20. I've alreayd gone overboard and ordered three more kits for the future. This could be a problem.

(edit- Here's a booty shot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Can model train folk play in this thread, too?