Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Craptacular! posted:

BeWeather is working great for me.

BeWeather is hands down my favorite weather app on the Android. My ONLY complaint is that it's forced into portrait view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just posted on the woofi blog about some upcoming features. Most of the things have been mentioned in this thread, but this one hasn't:

quote:

Right now, I'm also doing some experimentation into using Bluetooth to determine if you're at a saved location. If it turns out that it uses less battery to turn BT radio on every so many seconds to check and see if you're near a BT device at your saved location, rather than turning on your WiFi radio to check, we'll add the ability to do this.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Craptacular! posted:

So, Google Reader interface: Do you guys prefer gReader or GoodNews?
I still use NewsRob primarily. I'm starting to try some new ones though because it could use some UI updates but it's still going to be a while according to the dev.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ante posted:

Pulse

See, I hate the way the BBC News app displays news stories with thumbnail images and abbreviated headlines under it, and Pulse seems to apply that to my constantly updating Reader homepage. I subscribe to some 100+ feeds and only read maybe 10% of the stories.

Seems like I'm fine keeping gReader, then.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Does anyone ever use Swiftkey X? I love the keyboard, but drat sometimes the keyboard is so laggy in some applications. I did a factory data reset recently and it still lags. Anything I should do? Anyone have this problem? Should I switch to a different keyboard? I'm running CM 7 on an Inspire 4G

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

datajosh posted:

I still use NewsRob primarily. I'm starting to try some new ones though because it could use some UI updates but it's still going to be a while according to the dev.

Newsrob is what I'm still using, mostly because I've already paid for the pro version. Only thing that bugs me is that the unread counter widget is misaligned on ICS. Not a huge deal, though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Does anyone ever use Swiftkey X? I love the keyboard, but drat sometimes the keyboard is so laggy in some applications. I did a factory data reset recently and it still lags. Anything I should do? Anyone have this problem? Should I switch to a different keyboard? I'm running CM 7 on an Inspire 4G

I use it, and recently, the drat thing won't show what I'm typing. Just appears blank, I have to exit out of whatever I'm doing to fix it. Other than that, no lag thankfully.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I was browsing wowinsider, and I switched from the mobile version to the regular site because a list of articles in a category wasn't showing up. Now it won't let me go back to the mobile version even when I type it straight into the address bar- it redirects me to the normal site. Is there any way to go back to the mobile version short of clearing all my cookies?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I was browsing wowinsider, and I switched from the mobile version to the regular site because a list of articles in a category wasn't showing up. Now it won't let me go back to the mobile version even when I type it straight into the address bar- it redirects me to the normal site. Is there any way to go back to the mobile version short of clearing all my cookies?

If you clicked on a link that said "use desktop version" or something of the sort it would have set a cookie (which will need to be removed or changed. Assuming it's likely a cookie, perhaps you might have an option in an account page or the like.

If you used an option in your browser then just undo that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You didn't say what phone or browser you are using, but the provided/default webkit browser in ICS has a menu item checkbox that says Request Desktop Version.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

ante posted:

Pulse

Pulse doesn't import your google reader feed. I don't feel like rebuilding it all. Unless I'm missing something?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

You didn't say what phone or browser you are using, but the provided/default webkit browser in ICS has a menu item checkbox that says Request Desktop Version.

Sorry, I wan't very detailed. I'm using the stock browser on CM7.2, and I clicked the "use desktop site" link because I assumed that there would be a "use mobile site" link like every other site in existence, or that I would be able to type the mobile site into the browser or something. I only see an option to clear all cookies; is there a way to only delete certain ones? Are they stored like on Windows where I can browse to a folder full of them and delete just the one I want?

Edit: I answered my own question. There's no support for fine- grained control of cookies on Android, so you have to go into a terminal (rooted of course) and use SQL commands to delete the cookie you want. It worked though!

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 25, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fudsak posted:

Pulse doesn't import your google reader feed. I don't feel like rebuilding it all. Unless I'm missing something?

Go to the Social category when you add sources. Reader should be the top of the list.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Craptacular! posted:

Related to this, I use ICS Browser+, and I always have to request the desktop version of a particular site because it's evidently not being stored somewhere. Is this a problem with ICS Browser+ or the particular website (gocomics.com)?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Is it really necessary to have an antivirus app on your phone (avg)?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

Is it really necessary to have an antivirus app on your phone (avg)?

Only if you're regularly in the habit of downloading apps from very shady sources outside of Google Play. So pretty much no.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

yamdankee posted:

Only if you're regularly in the habit of downloading apps from very shady sources outside of Google Play. So pretty much no.

Don't trust any app provider to ensure that an app is safe. Especially with Android.

Better advice is look closely at the permissions an app is asking for, and only install stuff that you absolutely need. At the very least you should think long and hard about any app that can interact with the dialer or text messages as the most common flavor of malware out there tries to make connections with those to pay services.

Edit: This is a good example of a really obvious piece of malware.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's finally here! Goons will never need to plug in to power again! (see if you can spot my review :flashfap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shake.charge

A lot aren't this obvious.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 26, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I could have worded that better. I didn't mean to suggest there are no shady sources inside of Google Play, there definitely are. But yes, your advice is better. Closely looking at app permissions is a good idea.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Anti virus programs on Android only protect you against old viruses. They are literally useless unless you download pirate apps off the Internet as Google remove them from the store (and remotely from your device) much quicker than the anti virus companies add them to their programs.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 26, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've never found an app as good as Readers mobile website for my usage. On a typical day I have about 1500 new items to at least skim through, and I need to mark previous as read very easily.

The official client almost works but it does some sort of load-as-you-scroll that causes the list to jump around unpredictably.

I've tried the others in the past but they all sucked at this usage in some manner.

I'll need to give them a try again now that I'm on a Gnex.

Ugh yes this jump scroll behavior is terrible. They introduced it in a patch. It didn't use to do this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Anti virus programs on Android only protect you against old viruses.
True, and frankly I wouldn't really recommend running an Android AV program or claim that they're necessary.

However, given that OEMs are embarassingly bad about pushing security updates, the 2-3 root exploits that come out every year have a surprising amount of longevity, much to the benefit of Motorola owners. Anyways, the point being that AV programs are (presumably, I have no actual data on this) effective here since signature updates are much easier to push out.

Of course, the Market shouldn't be serving root-exploiting malware these days, but there was a time that they weren't on top of that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does anyone happen to have an apk for the previous version of the Audible app? Maybe in their Titanium Backup history or something? The current version is a total clusterfuck and they have been unresponsive to my requests via twitter and email to get an old version to roll back to.

The version I need is 1.3.6 (current is 1.3.8). Feel free to PM or post if you can help out, thanks!

edit: I found it; if anyone else needs to roll back pm me for a link

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 27, 2012

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

For some reason my galaxy s2 isn't remembering my preference for opening links in dolphin instead of the default browser. It asks me what to open with every time I follow a link in awful or any other app. In the app settings page it shows dolphin as my default app for some actions.I've tried clearing this and selecting it again, but no dice.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If you're rooted, you can freeze the browser or just outright uninstall it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Something weird happened to me, I kinda lost the play store :confused: I had the app on one of my screens, but I deleted it, and now I can't seem to find it back. Wtf?

Also, is there an app or something that turns up the volume? For some bizarre reason, my media sounds etc. are all super quiet lately, even on max volume.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Also, is there an app or something that turns up the volume? For some bizarre reason, my media sounds etc. are all super quiet lately, even on max volume.
Volume+

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

beedeebee posted:

Something weird happened to me, I kinda lost the play store :confused: I had the app on one of my screens, but I deleted it, and now I can't seem to find it back. Wtf?

It's not in the App Drawer? Deleting it from a homescreen shouldn't actually delete it, that's just a shortcut.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Tunga posted:

Volume+

Thanks.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not in the App Drawer? Deleting it from a homescreen shouldn't actually delete it, that's just a shortcut.

I know, it wasn't there. But:
Weiredest thing ever, I just turned my phone off and on again and my market was back in the list with apps. I had to agree to the terms of service again though.
My volume issues seem to be solved as well. Weird.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

beedeebee posted:

Weiredest thing ever, I just turned my phone off and on again and my market was back in the list with apps. I had to agree to the terms of service again though.
My volume issues seem to be solved as well. Weird.

I can't add the Google.com GPlay Android App/Book/Film/Game Play Store Market Shop to a folder with SiMi Folder. It just won't show up.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Is there a reason my HTC Panache (myTouch 4G) won't update to the play store? Everyone I know has Play already, but I'm still stuck with the market. I'm on Mobilicity in Canada, if that matters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately (since switching to the GN maybe?), I occasionally have trouble using the swipe-to-delete in SwiftKey. Instead of deleting the previous word, it'll just type some letter on the left-hand side of the keyboard. This persists until I send whatever I'm typing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EKDS5k posted:

Is there a reason my HTC Panache (myTouch 4G) won't update to the play store? Everyone I know has Play already, but I'm still stuck with the market. I'm on Mobilicity in Canada, if that matters.
Here you go.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Lately (since switching to the GN maybe?), I occasionally have trouble using the swipe-to-delete in SwiftKey. Instead of deleting the previous word, it'll just type some letter on the left-hand side of the keyboard. This persists until I send whatever I'm typing.
Probably a result of the increased DPI on the GNex, depending on how the swipe speed is calculated. I also had difficulty getting it to delete. Anyway, you can adjust the required speed in SwiftKey's options.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Is there an app that changes my pattern lock screen to be my home screen with a pattern lock thing laid over it? I spent a while getting my home screen just right only to have it hidden behind the ugly locked screen most of the time.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
All the things I've seen about changing the pattern lock screen are like this page which involve decompiling APK files and editing XML. I think to make any changes at all you will need to be rooted. I'm sure there are custom roms out there that have modified it some already.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

Here you go.

This fails every time for me, got another link?

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Hey guys, I have a Motorola Atrix 4G and I still haven't got a Google Play update to my market, do you guys know whats up with that?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

ZombieIsland posted:

Hey guys, I have a Motorola Atrix 4G and I still haven't got a Google Play update to my market, do you guys know whats up with that?

Have you tried a force close, clear data? That usually fixes most odd app problems like that. Especially with the market.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street

godzirraRAWR posted:

Have you tried a force close, clear data? That usually fixes most odd app problems like that. Especially with the market.

Thanks! That worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Any recommended ICS style themes for GO SMS? I'm trying to migrate to either Handcent or GO SMS, but they're just so ugly compared to the stock ICS message app.

The best I've found thus far is this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosmspro.theme.icecream

• Locked thread