Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

How do I access them? I've literally never opened up this thing.

I believe iFixIt.com has the best guides for disassembling Apple products. Pretty sure they'll go back to the 2007 Macbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Look up your model on iFixit. Some Mac laptops are a lot easier to access than others, so good luck. In general you'll just need a small philips screwdrivers. I bought a set at Home Depot and the #00 size fit perfectly.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have an old 2007 Macbook regular. Now normally 5 years would be upgrade time but honestly this thing is still perfect for me and I see no reason to upgrade anything right now (though is new redesigned Macbook Pros come out I may reconsider). The only problem it has these cracks on the casing. Apparently this is common and they are called Crackbooks (according to google just now). The first crack developed like 2 years ago but I thought it was my fault and never bothered to do anything. In the last month 2 more appeared and that was when I found out it is due to the casing, not me. Is there anything I can do? My friend said I could possibly get a new case but I don't know what to look for and am not even sure if they exist as I failed at googling up one. I think I will run to the store tomorrow but I am sure they will tell me its 5 years old and tough luck (which I understand).

Has anyone had this problem and rigged up a good solution? Honestly they are only cosmetic right now but I don't want to get so many cracks the drat thing crumbles. A good 40% of the side you put your wrist one is now covered by two of these cracks.

Below is pretty much exactly what happened to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Take it to an Apple store they will fix it for free.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

My '07 Macbook that somehow still exists has been having heating problems due to an unusually warm spring. Usually it's streaming video- sometimes it just stutters but if it gets bad enough and really plotzes then I have to restart, and that can't be healthy. Given the age it's probably on its way out, but in the meantime, are there any good easy cooling solutions? Do the "cooling stands" that get sold do any good or what?

Like they said, but you may as well go through the CPU heatsink guide. Gently spudge / scrape off that dried out, cracked foam cake that used to be for thermal transfer and apply some silver heatsink compound like Arctic Silver. That, in combination with cleaned out fans, should lower the temps by at least 10%. It may not be the easy way but it may squeeze more life out of your machine.

It should cool it way more than an auxiliary cooling pad.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Bob Morales posted:

Take it to an Apple store they will fix it for free.
I assume you are talking to me. Even though it is a 2007 with no Applecare they will fix it for free? I am going tomorrow and I hope you are right! Is there a place on the web which shows this as policy in case they give me a hard time? I only ask because I googled some and it looks like a lot of people can't get it fixed.

edit

although it also looks like a lot can. Oh well, no big deal, I'll go to the store tomorrow and if they fix it that would be awesome and if they don't I will deal with it or maybe figure out a different solution.

VVV Sweet, thanks guys

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 26, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yes, the cracks are still being covered under an Apple program. If you have any on the bezel panel they can fix that for free as well. You get a brand new keyboard and trackpad as it's all one part on the MacBook.

Definitely call a Fruit Stand and get an appointment; ask if they have the replacement parts in stock, no sense in leaving it there for days just for this.

Bit of a caveat emptor / ancedotal observation; I've seen replacement top case / keyboards develop cracks as well, but only really old ones from when the replacement program began.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
All 2010 iMacs have left the Apple refurb store. This is a very good sign that we could be looking at a refresh relatively* soon. The most tell tale sign is when the new current-gen products go > 24h shipping on the apple store.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
That Macbook has to be less than 5 years from purchase date or else it will be vintage and unrepairable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

He'll probably find out once he calls the Fruitte Stand and gives them his MacBook's serial number.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

After a weekend of 'lugging around' my 13" Air, I miss my 11" :(

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
Just spent $2500 on a macbook 15" yesterday (I put in an order). If they announce the new redesign soon, can I exchange mine for the new model?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

how!! posted:

Just spent $2500 on a macbook 15" yesterday (I put in an order). If they announce the new redesign soon, can I exchange mine for the new model?

If it is in the next 14 days then yes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is Apple pretty good about repairing/replacing MacBook Airs with loose hinges? I bought my MacBook Air last July and I've started to notice that the hinge on mine is starting to loosen up - if I move the laptop toward me on my desk, for example, the screen will shift.

Maybe I should just wait until it gets worse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

My '07 Macbook that somehow still exists has been having heating problems due to an unusually warm spring. Usually it's streaming video- sometimes it just stutters but if it gets bad enough and really plotzes then I have to restart, and that can't be healthy. Given the age it's probably on its way out, but in the meantime, are there any good easy cooling solutions? Do the "cooling stands" that get sold do any good or what?
Before you open it up and do whatever inside, are you completely sure it's heat related?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Corbet posted:

Is Apple pretty good about repairing/replacing MacBook Airs with loose hinges? I bought my MacBook Air last July and I've started to notice that the hinge on mine is starting to loosen up - if I move the laptop toward me on my desk, for example, the screen will shift.

Maybe I should just wait until it gets worse.

I got mine late July also and my hinge has not shown signs of loosening up. Take it in to Apple.

edit: Mines the 13" version though

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Just want to update, I went to the Apple store and they are replacing the bezel. Thanks again fellas

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not the top case/keyboard, which is what's cracked? They usually do both.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have an iMac from 2007, and I'm looking to upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I'm not really that tech savvy when it comes to hardware.

The most intensive stuff I run on my computer is Photoshop. I'm a graphic designer, so I do a lot of high-rez work. CS5 is obviously running pretty slow on my old iMac, so I think anything would be a nice boost.

I was looking at this, it looked like an inexpensive upgrade: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC510LL/A

But I'm not sure. Does anyone have any advice? Let me know if you need any more info.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

I have an iMac from 2007, and I'm looking to upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I'm not really that tech savvy when it comes to hardware.

The most intensive stuff I run on my computer is Photoshop. I'm a graphic designer, so I do a lot of high-rez work. CS5 is obviously running pretty slow on my old iMac, so I think anything would be a nice boost.

I was looking at this, it looked like an inexpensive upgrade: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC510LL/A

But I'm not sure. Does anyone have any advice? Let me know if you need any more info.

If you can splurge another $150 you can get the more current version of that, which has the quad-core i5, and a better graphics.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC813LL/A

However, iMacs are probably going to be refreshed in the next month or two, if you can wait to see what they come out with. If anything it'd make all the refurbs a bit cheaper too.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I believe that 3.2GHz i3 has hyper-threading (4 CPU threads). I think it'd suit you just fine, especially for the price. I think everyone deserves life with an SSD, but if you get adventurous later on you can pop one in there and max out the RAM for cheap. I don't see myself replacing my 27" iMac any time in the near future for creative production work. It's perfect for just about anything.

edit: ^^^ Agree with this guy. However, I was just talking with someone who absolutely is going to build a PC rig for the same price because he doesn't want to spend any more on an equivalent Mac. I'd rather have an i3 27" iMac than a loud vanilla PC box and no OS X.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 27, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

FlashBangBob posted:

If you can splurge another $150 you can get the more current version of that, which has the quad-core i5, and a better graphics.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC813LL/A

However, iMacs are probably going to be refreshed in the next month or two, if you can wait to see what they come out with. If anything it'd make all the refurbs a bit cheaper too.

That's a good point, I'll definitely wait and see what the refresh brings. And you're right, if I'm spending this much anyway I might as well spend the extra 150 for a computer that will likely last me a year or two longer.

I just don't want to get too far down the slippery slope of "well if I'm already spending 150 extra for that, why not spend an extra 300 for this? and then an extra 100 for THIS?" haha

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Might also want to get maybe a bigger hard drive if you want to do PhotoSlop work. Give yourself a big scratch partition.

And buy more RAM from third parties after delivery, Apple's markup on RAM is a little ridiculous.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

I just don't want to get too far down the slippery slope of "well if I'm already spending 150 extra for that, why not spend an extra 300 for this? and then an extra 100 for THIS?" haha

Yeah I know the slippery slope feeling. However, you should know that RAM is easily replaceable/upgradeable and you should never buy it from apple.com. Also with Refurbs, you cannot customize them like the BTO-new options. So what you buy is what you get. The hard-drive is "relatively" easy to swap out, if you need something larger than 1 TB, or an OEM SSD.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
One other question: from a pure price-to-power standpoint, you're going to get a better computer out of an iMac than a comparably priced Apple laptop right?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

One other question: from a pure price-to-power standpoint, you're going to get a better computer out of an iMac than a comparably priced Apple laptop right?

Yes. There are two versions of the Sandy Bridge Quad-Cores. The laptops use the low-power consumption "Mobile" versions, and the iMacs use the "Desktop" versions.

However, the difference is only about 10% in some cases. Here's a nice link to the benchmarks of the hardware:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

triplexpac posted:

2.5 quad i5 iMac starts out at $1199

2.2 quad i7 MBP starts out at $1799

Not sure what they benchmark relative to each other, but you have to start with the $1499 iMac and add $200 to get the 2.8GHz i7. The $2199 iMac gives you the 2.4GHz and for $250 more you can get the 2.5GHz i7.

It's also $100 more to get a 1680x1050 screen on the MBP compared to the 1920x1080 screen of the iMac.

Basically, being portable is going to cost you $600-$700 (50% more) depending on if you can live with a 1440x900 15" screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Some of the early 2011 models have higher turbo speeds than the late 2011 models and are actually faster:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/apple-15inch-macbook-pro-late-2011-review/1

So clock-for-clock it's possible to get a faster but older system:

They also shifted the configurations around so the base is no longer a 2.0GHz, it's a 2.2GHz, so just something to keep in mind when looking at used or refurb units.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Hmm yeah, not really worth the extra money to me, considering how often I'd actually use a laptop away from my desk. Thanks!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Selling my iMac with Lion on it, what's the trick to wiping this thing clean? I don't care if Lion stays on, just don't want any of my data to be on it.

From my reading it seems like I have to go back to whatever I got with the machine (Snow Leopard) because the Lion recovery is installed from the App Store?

Apple really doesn't want me to get rid of this thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spidoman posted:

Selling my iMac with Lion on it, what's the trick to wiping this thing clean? I don't care if Lion stays on, just don't want any of my data to be on it.

From my reading it seems like I have to go back to whatever I got with the machine (Snow Leopard) because the Lion recovery is installed from the App Store?

Apple really doesn't want me to get rid of this thing.

Run the installer and access disk utility from the menu - do a one pass wipe then re-install Lion

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kuskus posted:

I believe that 3.2GHz i3 has hyper-threading (4 CPU threads).
I thought hyperthreading on the desktop CPUs was only for i7s...or did Intel apply it as loosely as they did with the mobile parts?

Bob Morales posted:

Some of the early 2011 models have higher turbo speeds than the late 2011 models and are actually faster:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/apple-15inch-macbook-pro-late-2011-review/1

So clock-for-clock it's possible to get a faster but older system:
As long as you get a 2011 at least, cause Sandy Bridge provided a nice bump over the previous CPUs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

I thought hyperthreading on the desktop CPUs was only for i7s...or did Intel apply it as loosely as they did with the mobile parts?

The Mac Mini dual-core i5 and the iMac dual-core i3 have hyperthreading, for a total of 4 cores

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

The Mac Mini dual-core i5 and the iMac dual-core i3 have hyperthreading, for a total of 4 cores
Right but those are mobile CPUs, so that doesn't really refute japtor's point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Right but those are mobile CPUs, so that doesn't really refute japtor's point.

They were talking about iMacs though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

They were talking about iMacs though.
Right. So why are you bringing up Mac Mini CPUs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Right. So why are you bringing up Mac Mini CPUs?

Because someone is going to ask at some point if it's dual core or not.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I want to try out Mountain Lion on my MBA. It came with Snow Leopard and I'd like to make a full backup/snapshot of the OS and apps onto an external drive so that I can try out Mountain Lion and restore back if I don't like it.

What's the best way to do this?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Mark Larson posted:

I want to try out Mountain Lion on my MBA. It came with Snow Leopard and I'd like to make a full backup/snapshot of the OS and apps onto an external drive so that I can try out Mountain Lion and restore back if I don't like it.

What's the best way to do this?

CarbonCopyCloner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Heres a trick I just worked out to induce Lion to rescan for firewire audio devices if it doesnt detect them when you turn em on.

sudo killall coreaudiod

Granted its a "take a baseball bat to a sleeping lion" approach, but it works! Totally resets the whole audio subsystem. :toot: for microkernel architectures.

Note: Could make certain applications poo poo themselves when the life support gets switched off temporarily.