Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Thoughts = great looking cover, can I get a name. Please excuses my ignorance.

That's *shels, duh. :rolleyes:

(Never heard of 'em. Did a GIS on the cover.)

e: Hahaha, they had me up until 3:20

I dig the cover though.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Ah, okay. I did a Tineye search and got nothing, should have gone right to Google.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Here's some more info on that big Flaming Lips collaboration compilation album.

Apparently it's gonna take about $36.99 to sound like complete poo poo on your player.

(I'm only mostly kidding. Those random coloured vinyl they've been putting out over the last year often sound bad. I'd rather have a black vinyl version of this compilation, but que sera, sera.)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Blendy posted:

Ah, okay. I did a Tineye search and got nothing, should have gone right to Google.

Tineye is worthless. I don't even get why it exists anymore.

I've been wanting to pad out my collection of mostly rock with some jazz, so the other day I picked up Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and Weather Report's Heavy Weather. Heavy Weather sounds loving amazing. On the hunt for some Brubeck and Coltrane next. :)

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's some more info on that big Flaming Lips collaboration compilation album.

Apparently it's gonna take about $36.99 to sound like complete poo poo on your player.

(I'm only mostly kidding. Those random coloured vinyl they've been putting out over the last year often sound bad. I'd rather have a black vinyl version of this compilation, but que sera, sera.)

A friend of mine got to help press a few hundred of the records earlier this week and he was told that the band is having the plant really step up their quality control for this.

They'll still probably be really noisy, but I hope not.

Here's the official, final Record Store Day list: http://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/2868

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Well call it a cash in but I'm seeing several records I'm planning to pick up.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

hi phiz

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 25, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

traveling midget posted:

I am admittedly ignorant, but this is the first RSD I'll actually be participating in. These pressing counts are super low.. am I supposed to hit up my favorite store and hope they have one copy of Cursive's Burst and Bloom reissue, for example? And hope I'm the first person who wants it?

Yep and if not expect ridiculous prices on eBay.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yep and if not expect ridiculous prices on eBay.

That's loving stupid. (Also that Afrikaa Bambata/MC5 thing is going to explode on eBay)

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

traveling midget posted:

That's loving stupid. (Also that Afrikaa Bambata/MC5 thing is going to explode on eBay)

Welcome to record store day!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

traveling midget posted:

I am admittedly ignorant, but this is the first RSD I'll actually be participating in. These pressing counts are super low.. am I supposed to hit up my favorite store and hope they have one copy of Cursive's Burst and Bloom reissue, for example? And hope I'm the first person who wants it?

Your best bet is to go to your local record store now and ask if they're going to be getting it.

I think the deadline for ordering has already passed, so you can't really ask them to order one for you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Or just wait a couple of months and ta-daa, all that rare poo poo is all over the place. For cheap.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Unless you live in San Francisco. I still can't find a drat copy of Hormoaning for less than $50...if anyone has a spare copy and feels like being charitable, let me know. I did get a copy of that Jenny and Johnny single 8 months after release though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Well I'll be grabbing whatever seems interesting and if any of you guys pick up the Cursive album, I'll trade/buy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, I've never done RSD before, so I'm going to hit up a few places around town, fully expecting to be disappointed. Really all I want to grab is the Tomahawk box, maybe Mastodon/Feist, maybe Cursive. But like I said, I fully expect to walk away empty handed.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

In non RSD related topics:

I'm cleaning up my apartment and found a Future Island's download code.

So if anyone wants mp3s of In Evening Air go to thrilljockey.com/dlcode and enter:

h54pq3bp7tkk

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I've never really had any trouble getting the stuff I want. Last year I asked one of my local stores that doesn't do much for RSD if they could order and hold some stuff for me, which they did, and I just went to another store the morning of to get the stuff the store wasn't able to get. They're doing the same thing for me this year.

I didn't have any problems the first three years without having stuff held for me, either.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

e

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 25, 2013

Lestargis
Oct 25, 2005

Blendy posted:

In non RSD related topics:

I'm cleaning up my apartment and found a Future Island's download code.

So if anyone wants mp3s of In Evening Air go to thrilljockey.com/dlcode and enter:

h54pq3bp7tkk

Awesome! I just grabbed this, thanks.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah, I've never done RSD before, so I'm going to hit up a few places around town, fully expecting to be disappointed. Really all I want to grab is the Tomahawk box, maybe Mastodon/Feist, maybe Cursive. But like I said, I fully expect to walk away empty handed.

You will with that attitude <:mad:>

Just get there early!

RSD discussion has gotten, it seems, exponentially more negative with each year it exists. As a big enthusiast of it in the earlier years, I do see how it's become less of a special, promote-your-local event and more of re-issues/cash grab bit. I do enjoy when some bands go out of their way to introduce something unique but it's indeed gotten a bit saturated with some pretty lame offerings. Know what's coming out though and it's a joke how people try flip so quickly, especially when they're just simple re-issues

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I was all set to not bother this year, but I really want that Devo live album. New Traditionalists is my favorite Devo album, so a live set from the period is essential listening for me. The Mississippi John Hurt and Skip James albums seem interesting, but beyond that it's a pretty underwhelming list. Those last two will probably be easier to pick up later on because I'm guessing ebay flippers and the people who buy from them don't give a poo poo about old blues singers.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
There's honestly a good handful of things I would get on there, more so than the past few years. Unfortunately it's a week after the only Portland record fair so my bank account is gonna be too drained

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Somebody use that code now, because that album is loving incredible and you need it.
BTW, Passion for Dilbert, is that from the 4AD lime green edition?

This was ages ago, but yes!! Although I'd say it's more of a Fluro yellow? I didn't even expect a coloured record, I just saw it and said 'That's a sweet album' and bought it. I love when that happens.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Full RSD release list:

http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/RSD_2012_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
That's annoying. A copy of Com Truise's Galactic Melt popped up on Amazon market place for $16.99, and I bought it as soon as I saw it. They shipped me a CD. Was looking forward to that, a lot. Oh well.

I did read on a discogs comment that it was likely that they were going to repress it (first pressing was only 500 copies) so hopefully that happens at least.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

e

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2013

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

So my record fair was today and it was pretty excellent. Vendors did well, I made as much as I spent, which is all I really ask for.

I bought mostly surf poo poo but a few others

LPs:
The Challengers - Wipe Out!
a comp on flyright called "chicken stuff houston ghetto blues" featuring Hop Wilson, Big Walter and Juke Boy Bonner
The T-Bones - Everyone's Gone to the Moon
The Marketts - the Batman Theme
Soul Survivors - WHen the Whistle Blows, Anything Goes

45s:
Aaron Neville - Spaceman / She Took You For a Ride
Googie Rene & his Combo - Break It Up / Side-Track
Googie Rene & his Combo - Wiggle-Tail pts 1 and 2
The Rhythm Kings - Those Lonely Lonely Nihts / Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu
The Popcorns - Zero-Zero / Chinese Twist
Rocking Bros. - Behind The Sun / Rock-It (KIILLER guitar in an otherwise New Orleans R&Bish record)
Sonny Hall - Poor Planet Earth / The Battle for the Moon (weird semi-country)
Matt Lucas - I'm Moving On / My Heavenly Angel
Jimmie & the Night Trippers - Cruising / Night Hop
The Strangers - Young Maggie / Boogie Man

The thing was, the day before I dropped by a friend's place who decided he wasn't going to sell. Probably did just as well if not better

Nearly all of these 75 cents:
The Allisons - Surfer Street / Money (Surfer Street is one of the coolest girl group numbers I've heard in a WHILE)
The Exports - Seat Belts Please / Car Hop
Little Willie Littlefield - Easy Go / Ruby-Ruby
The Dixiebelles - Southtown USA / Why Don't You Set Me Free (not their best but they're great. Sorta sloppy girl-hollerin')
The Nite Riders - Six Button Benny / Apple Cider
The Surfaris - Dune Buggy / Boss Baracuda
Classie Ballou - Dream Love / Hey Pardner! (great Louisiana blues/instrumental)
Guitar Gable - Congo Mombo / Life Problem
Plus LPs - Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Alright Again
Osibisa
Roy Head - Treat me Right (compilation)
Earl King - THose Lonely, Lonely Nights (compilation on Ace)

All in all plenty to listen to

Still going through photos but this one gives an OK idea

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Fors Yard posted:

That's annoying. A copy of Com Truise's Galactic Melt popped up on Amazon market place for $16.99, and I bought it as soon as I saw it. They shipped me a CD. Was looking forward to that, a lot. Oh well.

I did read on a discogs comment that it was likely that they were going to repress it (first pressing was only 500 copies) so hopefully that happens at least.

In defense of the Amazon seller, sometimes labels and distributors don't bother with fresh barcodes and poo poo shows up on Amazon as a different product. I can't tell you how many times I had to cancel orders at my store for some Linux kernel book (we don't stock many books, and none pertaining to Linux) that was really some sort of High Times-related DVD. Also, the last Puscifer thing that came out on vinyl just used a barcode from an older CD of theirs. Then again, sometimes the employees who pull orders are just loving stupid or lazy, which I can also vouch for.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I can understand that happening, though Amazon lists a different ASIN for each. Not only that, it was listed "mint" "like new" but the bar code had a razor cut slashed through it AND marker for remainder. It was a digipack, and the sleeve was dinged pretty bad. On top of all that, the label website sells the CD for $12 -- five less than what they charged. Can't get anything right.

To make this post worthwhile, I went to the of Montreal show in Seattle last night, and picked up "Paralytic Stalks". Have a code! A my birthday present to (one of) you.

www.polyvinylrecords.com/iheartvinyl
removed

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 27, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Farts Domino posted:

So my record fair was today and it was pretty excellent. Vendors did well, I made as much as I spent, which is all I really ask for.

I bought mostly surf poo poo but a few others

LPs:
The Challengers - Wipe Out!
a comp on flyright called "chicken stuff houston ghetto blues" featuring Hop Wilson, Big Walter and Juke Boy Bonner
The T-Bones - Everyone's Gone to the Moon
The Marketts - the Batman Theme
Soul Survivors - WHen the Whistle Blows, Anything Goes

45s:
Aaron Neville - Spaceman / She Took You For a Ride
Googie Rene & his Combo - Break It Up / Side-Track
Googie Rene & his Combo - Wiggle-Tail pts 1 and 2
The Rhythm Kings - Those Lonely Lonely Nihts / Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu
The Popcorns - Zero-Zero / Chinese Twist
Rocking Bros. - Behind The Sun / Rock-It (KIILLER guitar in an otherwise New Orleans R&Bish record)
Sonny Hall - Poor Planet Earth / The Battle for the Moon (weird semi-country)
Matt Lucas - I'm Moving On / My Heavenly Angel
Jimmie & the Night Trippers - Cruising / Night Hop
The Strangers - Young Maggie / Boogie Man

The thing was, the day before I dropped by a friend's place who decided he wasn't going to sell. Probably did just as well if not better

Nearly all of these 75 cents:
The Allisons - Surfer Street / Money (Surfer Street is one of the coolest girl group numbers I've heard in a WHILE)
The Exports - Seat Belts Please / Car Hop
Little Willie Littlefield - Easy Go / Ruby-Ruby
The Dixiebelles - Southtown USA / Why Don't You Set Me Free (not their best but they're great. Sorta sloppy girl-hollerin')
The Nite Riders - Six Button Benny / Apple Cider
The Surfaris - Dune Buggy / Boss Baracuda
Classie Ballou - Dream Love / Hey Pardner! (great Louisiana blues/instrumental)
Guitar Gable - Congo Mombo / Life Problem
Plus LPs - Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Alright Again
Osibisa
Roy Head - Treat me Right (compilation)
Earl King - THose Lonely, Lonely Nights (compilation on Ace)

All in all plenty to listen to

Still going through photos but this one gives an OK idea

Somehow my chef gave me the day of our biannual record show off. And I get paid they day before, gonna blow like half that drat thing there.

In other news I got OG press of Current 93's Earth Covers Earth yesterday and it is beautiful, despite the big smudge/scrape thing on the first track (totally not NM, rear end in a top hat). And in a few days the Warsaw bootleg 12" will be here (their first 3 recordings!) and I will be a happy dude. Getting a smartphone has done wonders for my collection. And not for my bank account.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Here are some very cheap (US only) deals from Best Buy.

Nothing too special, but that's pretty cheap. Especially considering shipping is free.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here are some very cheap (US only) deals from Best Buy.

Nothing too special, but that's pretty cheap. Especially considering shipping is free.

And just dropped $60. But for like, 9 albums. So awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks for the heads up. I've been considering checking out those Shins all the kids are talking about. Seeing their first album up for five bucks made that a no brainer.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Nice, got both Fleet Foxes LPs for $16. Now, let's hope they don't package it terribly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peacebone posted:

Nice, got both Fleet Foxes LPs for $16. Now, let's hope they don't package it terribly.

I was thinking this myself, because it's Best Buy. But it was only five bucks and that's what return policies are for. I've had really good luck with LPs and shipping so far so I'm not that concerned. I've had LPs come from the UK in nothing more than a thick envelope and a thin sheet of bubble wrap and they were fine.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I ordered the Silversun Pickups album that someone posted about a while back from Best Buy and both LPs came warped. Only record I've ever bought from them, so take that with a grain of salt.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Peacebone posted:

Just did the same thing. I really hate returning things I buy online so I'm hoping they arrive ok.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm too poor to buy records anymore, but working in radio has it's perks. I was corresponding with the promoter for Young Prisms, telling him how much I was loving their new album and today opened my mail to a shiny copy of their new album In Between on vinyl!

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone who likes KMFDM should check out their web store right now.
http://www.kmfdmstore.com/index.php?cPath=65&sort=PRODUCT_SORT_ORDER&page=1

They have a few leftover 7" singles they're clearing out (from the 24/7 series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I ordered the Silversun Pickups album that someone posted about a while back from Best Buy and both LPs came warped. Only record I've ever bought from them, so take that with a grain of salt.

The two albums I ordered from them about a month ago came warped badly. Then I got the Fleet Foxes first album and it was fine - well, the bonus album for their EP is just very slightly warped but it's fine.

You can return them at your local Best Buy if you have an issue. They should just refund you.

Edit: The packaging was the same as Amazon's if I remember correctly.