Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fraidykat
May 8, 2004

Not too brave...
The goal was a little more unlucky than soft, but what really killed us was not getting fresh legs on sooner. It's going to be harder to keep possession when you're team too tired to do anything but hoof the ball up the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Starman
Nov 22, 2007
I only got to see the second half, but how in the hell does a team give up three goals to what was an absolutely dreadful El Salvador side?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Frank Starman posted:

I only got to see the second half, but how in the hell does a team give up three goals to what was an absolutely dreadful El Salvador side?

atrocious goalkeeping and poor defending.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Frank Starman posted:

By being even worse

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Frank Starman posted:

Because Hamid & Johnson != Howard & Friedel

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Yes, welcome back to FC Dallas, Brek - we sure need you.

And seriously, who watches the Olympics anyway, especially for soccer?

The only sliver of brightness is that our future midfield for the senior team will actually have a good stable of guys that can play attacking football. Will still need a defense and some forwards, though Boyd played well. Freddy Adu played out of his drat mind.

RocketLunatic fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 27, 2012

The Gardener
Nov 1, 2010
Let's be honest here--who didn't see that coming?

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Taxi for Porter. Really shameful that a USA side has such a terrible goalkeeping display, tho a lot of that is on Porter for leaving a hurt keeper in to concede twice.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Frank Starman posted:

Welcome to US Soccer, man. You can tell those of us who have been around a while because we're all on depression and heart medication

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching any USMNT play is like eating ten sticks of butter. My heart can't take this poo poo.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

The Gardener posted:

Let's be honest here--who didn't see that coming?

tbh i didn't see it coming at all after we went 3-2, el salvador pretty much gave up after that.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
I'll admit I was someone that thought Porter would be a great coach for this, I am sadly humbled.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
Just saw the replay. God that was awful. They don't deserve Olympic village sex.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Caleb Porter is a myth.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

80085 posted:

I'll admit I was someone that thought Porter would be a great coach for this, I am sadly humbled.

And I was all excited to see Johnson in goal too. :(

Frank Starman
Nov 22, 2007

Directorman posted:

Welcome to US Soccer, man. You can tell those of us who have been around a while because we're all on depression and heart medication

The truly great national teams hospitalize their own supporters

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
what the gently caress

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Anukis posted:

what the gently caress

Welcome to our nightmare, enjoy your stay. :)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
For the number of vultured wins that the US has obtained in Stoppage Time, I shouldn't be surprised that it happened to us, especially with such a poor defense.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
the beautiful game does not belong in the olympics

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

ayb posted:

the beautiful game does not belong in the olympics

boxing?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I finally understand what all the Europeans mean. Down with Olympic soccer!

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
Its ok, it doesn't really matter because its Olympic soccer... right?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I figure it's ok, since the US team with an actual shot at a medal qualified a month ago

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Lamont Cranston posted:

I figure it's ok, since the US team with an actual shot at a medal qualified a month ago

so loving true

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Leave it to the women to redeem our lovely national teams. Wambach, Morgan, Rapinoe et al. are the best. :3:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lamont Cranston posted:

:rock:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Japan won't be there, will they? :ohdear:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Remember at the last olympics when the USA just needed to not concede a goal to Holland in stoppage time or have a man sent off in the first 5 minutes vs Nigeria

think of the great moments like those that we'll miss in the summer

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Caleb Porter will be the scapegoat for the fact that the USA does not currently, has not ever and will not for eternity place a premium on nurturing defenders. The idea of "let's be more athletic than them" never works and continually fucks us.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Remember at the last olympics when the USA just needed to not concede a goal to Holland in stoppage time or have a man sent off in the first 5 minutes vs Nigeria

think of the great moments like those that we'll miss in the summer

When we tied I was actually praying that Canada didn't lose to Cuba because then we would've had to play Mexico in the semis and got our poo poo pushed in.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 123 days!
lol you guys.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Brandy Alexander posted:

lol you guys.

drat Brandy this must be a lovely time for you. You can't really troll us anymore because our teams are trolling us harder than you ever could.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

80085 posted:

drat Brandy this must be a lovely time for you. You can't really troll us anymore because our teams are trolling us harder than you ever could.

Unforgivingly this. Our women are so much better than our men...

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 123 days!

80085 posted:

So true, funny how most of the posters in this thread didn't really "care" for olympic soccer anyway.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
you know what does own, the way the mexican anouncers says break shea's name. brek SHEEE-AH

Trigger Warning
Feb 7, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

msj817 posted:

Caleb Porter will be the scapegoat for the fact that the USA does not currently, has not ever and will not for eternity place a premium on nurturing defenders. The idea of "let's be more athletic than them" never works and continually fucks us.

You'd think we would realize that teaching positioning is more effective in the short term than just hoping that all the youngsters learn how to do awesome step-overs.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I care, but the guys get these rafts of competitions where they get a lot of attention - u17, 20, 21, 23 Olympics, Concacaf poo poo, World Cup... I'm not too pissed about this, and it'll be easier to focus on the ladies, who rarely get that much attention, even when they're one of the best teams in the world. Of course, I AM a lady, so that may bias me.

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011
My friend asked me who I would pick as my three overage players if we made it....I said Dempsey, Bocanegra and Howard.....

He laughed at me and called me crazy for wanting to replace Sean John.......five minutes later I turn to him and say "Howard then?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
I would have wanted our 3 overage players to be clint dempsey, clint dempsey and clint dempsey. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a petition to withdrawal the USMNT from every competition unless Dempsey is on the squad.

• Locked thread