Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dogen posted:

It's not that they design them that way on purpose, it's that it's cheaper to build them that way really, as my understanding of key rollover goes. So it's not something that they're making it do on purpose to segment their gaming keyboards or whatever, but it does have that side effect, I suppose.

Having many blocked combinations is a limitation of the cheap design, but they still have a lot of control over which combinations are blocked.

Whether they chose w+shift+space as a blocked combination intentionally to upsell gamers, or if they chose it because it was deemed less important that other key combinations, we can't really know. But the latter seems more likely to me - introducing a flaw in your products to convince people to buy more of your products would be rather shortsighted (especially when 99% of the people who encounter the problem won't even understand that it's a limitation of the cheaper product). And on the other hand, w+shift+space wouldn't be considered a particularly important key combination outside of the gamer audience, and thus a lower priority combination for keyboards targeted at a non-gaming audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Interesting. This is the first I've ever heard of this "rollover" thing. I'd always assumed that keyboard keys were all free and independent.

So, even if Logitech weren't purposely blocking w+shift+space, it was still just a retarded decision on their part. That kind of sucks because I really don't have a need for a full-blown "gaming" keyboard. I play the occasional video game, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a gamer. (The only two games I've played in the last 6 months were Deus Ex Human Revolution and Skyrim, for example.)

So, with all the non-expensive Logitech's having that particular blocking pattern, I guess that means I'll need a different brand.

Rexxed posted:

I'd buy one of the better gaming mechanicals that offer N-Key rollover like the CM Storm Quickfire: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-40GKCL1&c=FR&pid=3fc85ce174f6c7c913b483e4b4fdbf3c35ba7a2d78687e9a4c39249d0470b83b. It's sold at newegg, the cm online store, amazon, etc, but I happened to have the superbiiz site open because they often have $5 off codes, and I'm looking to buy one the next time I see a good coupon code.

This doesn't look too bad, I'd miss the numpad though. It also looks like it's got those large, loud keys ( I generally prefer the quieter style keys). Neither of those preferences are deal-killers however. I've got this keyboard on my "maybe" list.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That 70s Shirt posted:

Interesting. This is the first I've ever heard of this "rollover" thing. I'd always assumed that keyboard keys were all free and independent.

So, even if Logitech weren't purposely blocking w+shift+space, it was still just a retarded decision on their part. That kind of sucks because I really don't have a need for a full-blown "gaming" keyboard. I play the occasional video game, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a gamer. (The only two games I've played in the last 6 months were Deus Ex Human Revolution and Skyrim, for example.)

So, with all the non-expensive Logitech's having that particular blocking pattern, I guess that means I'll need a different brand.

This doesn't look too bad, I'd miss the numpad though. It also looks like it's got those large, loud keys ( I generally prefer the quieter style keys). Neither of those preferences are deal-killers however. I've got this keyboard on my "maybe" list.
There's a Cherry MX Red version of the board that has linear (not clicky) switches, but it's only available on the CM online store at the moment.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So my Leopold just stopped working. It started acting really strange last night, acting like a key was stuck sometimes and other times it would just stop working. Now it won't work at all and when I boot Windows it says that there is no keyboard detected and both the caps and scroll lock lights are on. I have not spilled anything on it. Any ideas?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Startacus posted:

So my Leopold just stopped working. It started acting really strange last night, acting like a key was stuck sometimes and other times it would just stop working. Now it won't work at all and when I boot Windows it says that there is no keyboard detected and both the caps and scroll lock lights are on. I have not spilled anything on it. Any ideas?

Are you connected via USB or PS/2 port? I'd definitely check the cable connection, and if it looks okay, check the end on the board itself, sometimes electronics have wires that get flexed fray or break internally. If it's running on USB, try a different USB port. If you have another computer, you should try it on that one and see if it still does the same stuff. If it behaves exactly the same (still hosed up) with all combinations of plugs/cord wiggling/pcs, then it may just have randomly died and need a warranty repair (if it's still under warranty).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just got my K90 and am trying it out at work for the day before taking it home. It's pretty schmick!

Been getting a couple of double-strikes though and also a stuck spacebar once. Are these just to be expected until I get better used to it?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Rexxed posted:

Are you connected via USB or PS/2 port? I'd definitely check the cable connection, and if it looks okay, check the end on the board itself, sometimes electronics have wires that get flexed fray or break internally. If it's running on USB, try a different USB port. If you have another computer, you should try it on that one and see if it still does the same stuff. If it behaves exactly the same (still hosed up) with all combinations of plugs/cord wiggling/pcs, then it may just have randomly died and need a warranty repair (if it's still under warranty).

Something is definitely wrong with the keyboard. I tried both USB and PS/2 on my desktop and it was freaking out and so I tried it on my laptop. I got it to work after a struggle but then it freaked out again. The keyboard is only a couple of months old so I guess I'll have to RMA it. :/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Startacus posted:

Something is definitely wrong with the keyboard. I tried both USB and PS/2 on my desktop and it was freaking out and so I tried it on my laptop. I got it to work after a struggle but then it freaked out again. The keyboard is only a couple of months old so I guess I'll have to RMA it. :/

That's unfortunate, I've heard that Leopolds have good build quality. While it will suck to RMA, at least if you have a problem, having one while it's fairly new is a positive thing, since it's still warrantied.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Rexxed posted:

That's unfortunate, I've heard that Leopolds have good build quality. While it will suck to RMA, at least if you have a problem, having one while it's fairly new is a positive thing, since it's still warrantied.

Yea, I will probably shoot them an email soon. I think it might actually be a problem with the USB cord. I was playing around with it and I got the keyboard to work fine. We'll see how long it lasts. Maybe I can find another USB cable laying around and try that as well.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

I was playing Minecraft with this Honeywell Hall effect keypad the other night and it was working out pretty well. It kind of feels like a cross between Topres and MX blacks. Definitely the smoothest switches I've experienced and the rarest thing in my collection thus far. I'd like to think that it's what would've been used to nuke the Soviets back in the day.

Tonight I was messing around with keycaps on my Realforces a bit. I really like the green and grey combo on the 87UB, but I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the black keys on the 87UW, so I might go pure orange or try throwing some green in there. In general I feel like a two/three-tone setup is a nice mix between classy and flashy.

Got to stop spending so much money on keyboards. :(

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There's the 10th Anniversary Realforce 87u, get that one. New run of them coming out in Korea.

Only $380 + import costs + customs

:effort:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
This might be a looooooong shot, but I just got myself a Corsair Vengeance K90 and I'm loving it, however I have one small problem: the spacebar.

If I depress it on the right side, it makes the same noise as every other key. If I depress it on the left side, it makes a rather audible "click", as if something isn't quite sitting right. I'm not sure what would cause a problem like that, and it's bugging me quite a bit.

Anyone experienced a similar problem, and if so, how'd you fix it? My suspicion is that there's a problem with the dummy switch on the left that the keyboard uses to stabilise, but I have no real clue.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

Goodpart posted:

If I depress it on the right side, it makes the same noise as every other key. If I depress it on the left side, it makes a rather audible "click", as if something isn't quite sitting right. I'm not sure what would cause a problem like that, and it's bugging me quite a bit.

I'm assuming you've tried popping the spacebar off? Does the left stabilizer stem make any noise if you manually pull it up and push it down? If it's silent, then it's probably the plastic on plastic of it against the spacebar and you might need a little lube to smooth things up a little. If it's making a noise, try to figure out where exactly it's coming from. Some part of the stabilizer might not be seated correctly or it could just need some lube as well.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I have quite a speific problem when it comes to keyboards. I happen to have very nice and naturally strong fingernails, and I like to keep them relatively long because it looks good, and also it's drat useful, especially when dealing with modern packaging material.. The one trouble I have is that I scratch the letters off the keys, especially on backlit keyboards that are basically clear plastic with black masks over them. My current keyboard looks like this:

(crappy camera phone photo - sorry)

Although I can easily touch type, it can be a pain sometimes to hit a specific key, for example to open a menu in a video game or something. T, H and N are pretty much totally worn away. This isn't the first keyboard I have had that ended up like this, either. It is quite problematic.

So basically, can anyone direct me to a nice looking black keyboard that I won't destroy? I'm not worried about backlighting and such, but I do need a keyboard with dedicated volume controls on it, and some other things would be nice like copy, paste, play/pause, next, previous, open browser, etc. I'm a gamer too, but I have an extra add-on thingy with WSAD, numbers, etc. on it that I use for games, and that one survived better than my main keyboard. So I guess not having backlit keys increases durability?

I had a look through the OP, but obviously nothing mentions "suitable for girls with deadly fingernails". I'd really appreciate some suggestions :)

Edit: Probably should have got rid of some of that dust before taking a picture. :sweatdrop:

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Meis posted:

:sweatdrop:

Non-backlit keyboards should have, at worst, pad printed letters, which shouldn't wear down as badly as your current keyboard. This sort of thing happens with most backlit keyboards over time, I think. My roommate keeps his fingernails short, but his Razer Lycosa did this as well.

The only surefire way to not have this happen is to get something better. You will not have this problem with laser-etched, dye-sublimated, or doubleshot keycaps, since the keycaps are just plain plastic. It's hard to find those kinds of keycaps on a non-mechanical keyboard, though.

As for volume controls, browser buttons, and all of that jazz, I wouldn't make that a requirement for a keyboard. It might be nice for you, but you can do the same thing with a plain keyboard and global hotkey program like AutoHotKey. You can set play to Win+X, previous to Win+Z, browser to Ctrl+Shift+B, etc... It's up to you. AutoHotKey in particular is kind of a pain in the rear end to set up, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
My Reclusa was way worse than that before I threw it out (although a different wear pattern, Dvorak, hurr). I think it's definitely because of the crappy coating on backlit keys. It's almost certainly possible to make backlit keys properly (how about doubleshot with translucent plastic as the fill material?) but cheap ones almost certainly aren't made in anything resembling a robust manner..

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

HalloKitty posted:

My Reclusa was way worse than that before I threw it out (although a different wear pattern, Dvorak, hurr). I think it's definitely because of the crappy coating on backlit keys. It's almost certainly possible to make backlit keys properly (how about doubleshot with translucent plastic as the fill material?) but cheap ones almost certainly aren't made in anything resembling a robust manner..

There's that, or mechanical backlit usually have LED's under each keycap, which I doubt membrane backlit boards do.

I wish there was some place to get the CM storm quickfire in browns or reds for the same price as the blues on amazon ($77) I've begun thinking that a tenkeyless wouldn't drive me batshit, and my blackwidow going tits up is a good excuse to nab something else for around that price point.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Autolyze posted:

I'm assuming you've tried popping the spacebar off? Does the left stabilizer stem make any noise if you manually pull it up and push it down? If it's silent, then it's probably the plastic on plastic of it against the spacebar and you might need a little lube to smooth things up a little. If it's making a noise, try to figure out where exactly it's coming from. Some part of the stabilizer might not be seated correctly or it could just need some lube as well.
I've done a little more looking around and it seems a lot of my keys do this. The only one that uses stabilisers that displays no symptoms of a "wrong" feel/sound is the + key on the numpad. Every other key, at least to some extent, has an audible click when you press it in the "wrong spot". None of the non-stabilised keys do this (and therefore feel amazing).

I'm not sure what I should do. The stabilisers look to be seated correctly (I'm not even sure what "proper seating" should feel like, to be honest!) and I can't replicate the noise after popping the keys off. It's really, really frustrating. I bought this keyboard because of the great feel of the keys and I'm miffed that the most common key on the keyboard doesn't have that feel at all.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
That's the joy of Cherry style stabilizers.

Meis: As stated above, any laser, dye-sub, or doubleshot keycap will be immune to that sort of wearing off. Try something like WASDkeyboards, since they also give you the option for lasered, engraved, or blank keycaps, which you can customize.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the help, guys! I don't know much about keyboards (you probably figured that out), but I reckon I should be able to find something now. I won't go for anything cheap, and I have a birthday coming up anyway so I can persuade someone else to buy me something, heh. I'm glad the problem is not something that is just my fault. It happened to my previous keyboard as well, which was a Saitek Eclipse II. I use my keyboard a lot (gaming, work, creative writing...), so I think it's important to get something that won't wear out.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

jwoven posted:

That's the joy of Cherry style stabilizers.
Is there an alternative? I've seen a few mentions of Filco stabilisers but to be honest, nothing compelling. Rather than saying one's better than the other, people are just saying "they exist".

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Goodpart posted:

Is there an alternative? I've seen a few mentions of Filco stabilisers but to be honest, nothing compelling. Rather than saying one's better than the other, people are just saying "they exist".

Costar stabilizers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Goodpart posted:

Other thing you could do probably is use some o ring dampeners, I would imagine that would cut the noise entirely. I've got them on my K60 and they're the main reason I haven't bothered to swap mine out for fading keycaps, because I like the rings and don't want to have to redo the whole loving thing.

Also Corsair won't cross ship and I gave my old keyboard to my wife to take to work :mad:

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone know of a basic "matrix design" keyboard? ie one where the keys are aligned vertically?

Something like https://secure.trulyergonomic.com/index.php or http://typematrix.com/2030/gallery.php but preferably without spending ~$150.

I'd like to try one out as I think it'd be useful in games, as I tend to have trouble hitting the correct number key from a WASD position.

I'd try a gamepad, but it's impossible to buy wolfkings anymore.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nop posted:

Does anyone know of a basic "matrix design" keyboard? ie one where the keys are aligned vertically?

Something like https://secure.trulyergonomic.com/index.php or http://typematrix.com/2030/gallery.php but preferably without spending ~$150.

I'd like to try one out as I think it'd be useful in games, as I tend to have trouble hitting the correct number key from a WASD position.

I'd try a gamepad, but it's impossible to buy wolfkings anymore.

Switch to esdf. Problem solved.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Cream_Filling posted:

I did this, and got a nostromo. Once you adapt to using it (and having your thumb make the d-pad directions be modifiers), it's pretty awesome and comfortable. No mechanical switches, but maybe by the time it wears out, they'll have made one with them.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Switching to esdf doesn't help with the fact that the number keys aren't aligned with the letter keys. e.g. 2 isn't aligned with w nor is 3 with e.

I may try a nostromo or g13 now that I think about it. I initially thought of using the dpad in place of wasd but it makes more sense to assign it to something else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nop posted:

Switching to esdf doesn't help with the fact that the number keys aren't aligned with the letter keys. e.g. 2 isn't aligned with w nor is 3 with e.

I may try a nostromo or g13 now that I think about it. I initially thought of using the dpad in place of wasd but it makes more sense to assign it to something else.

Yeah, but why does that matter so much? None of the letter keys are aligned with each other, either. You can hit the number keys while typing, right? So long as you know how to touch-type, shouldn't the distance necessary to hit a number from the home position be ingrained in your muscle memory?

I mean there's no physical reason you can't hit 1-5 with your left hand using ESDF. Why would a company make a keyboard where the numbers are harder to type on for touch-typists and has no real advantages in the design? It's not like your fingers move in a perfectly linear fashion anyway, so there's no real advantage to perfectly lined up keys except for looking more orderly.

I say either practice typing numbers or else get a mouse with tons of buttons and bind the numbers to that. I feel like the amount of effort it would take to learn chording with a D-pad on the nostromo would be better spend practicing on a normal keyboard since then the skill can be carried over to everyday life, with any leftover inputs transferred to binds on single buttons on the right hand. After all, if you're playing an FPS, your left hand will be busy with constant inputs for movement anyway, and if you're hitting the number keys you're probably not shooting so your right hand will be doing less and hitting buttons usually doesn't interfere with aiming.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 30, 2012

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Meis posted:

Thanks for the help, guys! I don't know much about keyboards (you probably figured that out), but I reckon I should be able to find something now. I won't go for anything cheap, and I have a birthday coming up anyway so I can persuade someone else to buy me something, heh. I'm glad the problem is not something that is just my fault. It happened to my previous keyboard as well, which was a Saitek Eclipse II. I use my keyboard a lot (gaming, work, creative writing...), so I think it's important to get something that won't wear out.

Funny enough the Eclipse and Eclipse II are the keyboards I have used/owned before getting my CM Storm (typing this very post up on one as a matter of fact).

I have really enjoyed the Cherry Blues and find no real issue using them for SC2 or BF3, but some people can't stand them. I say if you can't go to a store and play with some Cherry switches do what was suggested earlier and buy 1 of each switch and a blank keycap and play around with em.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I got a Ducky Shine, but feel like it's tall enough where I'm going to need a wrist rest. Any recommendations that would fit with the size of this? It's about an inch from the desk to where the keys start and about and inch and a half up to the top of the keys.

It's an amazing keyboard though, thanks keyboard thread!

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Where did you get the orange arrow keys? Mine only came with the green WASD ones. =(

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Bought blank orange ones from wasd.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How is the glow through the WASD keys? I'm tempted to get some for my K90.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Trickyrive posted:

I got a Ducky Shine, but feel like it's tall enough where I'm going to need a wrist rest. Any recommendations that would fit with the size of this? It's about an inch from the desk to where the keys start and about and inch and a half up to the top of the keys.

It's an amazing keyboard though, thanks keyboard thread!

I'm a fan of this one. Have two, and still going strong after a year. There are more expensive options from Ducky and Filco, but I wouldn't bother with them unless sizing for a TKL. It's the right height and length with my Filco, which should be dimensionally identical to a Ducky.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WU4H5C/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1333370494&sr=8-4

glompix fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 2, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

krooj posted:

Anyone here have the Noppoo Choc Mini and care to toss out their opinion of it? I use the CM Storm with MX Blue switches at work, and I'm considering another mechanical for home as well.

loving love mine (Browns). I use it on a Mac through a chain of USB->PS2->USB adapters (no, I'm not kidding) and even with the occasional glitched keypress, I wouldn't trade it for anything (other than a fully working Mac version).

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

~Coxy posted:

How is the glow through the WASD keys? I'm tempted to get some for my K90.

The glow is good, but then again, these ducky LED's seem extremely bright, and the orange seems like it lets the light through pretty good, so your mileage may vary depending on the color of the keycaps and the output of the LED's

glompix posted:

I'm a fan of this one. Have two, and still going strong after a year. There are more expensive options from Ducky and Filco, but I wouldn't bother with them unless sizing for a TKL. It's the right height and length with my Filco, which should be dimensionally identical to a Ducky.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WU4H5C/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1333370494&sr=8-4

Awesome, thank you, I will try one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So my Black widow ultimate got a taste of the diet dew, I got out as much water as possible with shaking it and taping it on the back while flipped over. After an hour I tried it and it gave me a driver installation error.

How screwed am I on the prospect of it drying out and working 100% again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ColHannibal posted:

So my Black widow ultimate got a taste of the diet dew, I got out as much water as possible with shaking it and taping it on the back while flipped over. After an hour I tried it and it gave me a driver installation error.

You should give it a few days in a sealed bag with dry rice or another desiccant. A couple of hours won't really help much with evaporating liquids.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

Plugging the keyboard back in so soon was the fatal mistake. Time to buy a Filco!

Fact: Blackwidow owners are more likely to spill liquids on their keyboards than owners of other Cherry MX keyboards are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I did something like this (including plugging it back in too early), then I let soak in soapy water for a few hours, then rinsed it out & soaked it in clean water for a while, pulled it out, then let put it under fan in the (at the time) extremely dry air in my garage for 3 days. You'd probably want to use a desiccant unless you happen to have absurdly low humidity this time of year.

Now, I was extremely surprised that this worked, but it did. It's worth a shot, not like it'll break your keyboard any more.

• Locked thread