Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

_Dav posted:

Riding far too quickly for the conditions (and his extra lovely reaction speed). Blind spot mirrors are total bullshit too, blocks half of his usual mirror vision.

Is there more to the story with that pic?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

_Dav posted:

Riding far too quickly for the conditions (and his extra lovely reaction speed). Blind spot mirrors are total bullshit too, blocks half of his usual mirror vision.

That picture is strangely serene

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

_Dav posted:

Is that a ducati? Poor italian didn't know how to swim :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nope, Speed Triple.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

Is there more to the story with that pic?

Guy on the RAT forums hit a vulture on a corner, he's grand apart from a tear in his gloves (Dainese?!) letting his hand get ripped open a bit.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/201120-my-s3-is-dead-my-run-in-with-turkey-vulture.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Firestones - check.
Tiny tank - check.
Pipe wrap - check.

At least they kept the front brake, not that it's going to do much with that Firestone :sigh:. That tank is not only too small and the wrong shape but they couldn't even mount it level?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ReelBigLizard posted:

Firestones - check.
Tiny tank - check.
Pipe wrap - check.

At least they kept the front brake, not that it's going to do much with that Firestone :sigh:. That tank is not only too small and the wrong shape but they couldn't even mount it level?

Looks loving awesome - check

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Almost Looks loving awesome - check

Fixed.

The tank looks like an afterthought, like it was the only thing they had left on the shelf and they couldn't be bothered sourcing anything else. I can't believe they would have initially planned to use that tank, because they would have made their (already custom) seat to fit.

The old R BMWs have such potential for resto-mod awesomeness, and they almost made it but apparently fell at the last hurdle with the tank.

EDIT: quick and dirty Gimp job:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 26, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I love the ratiness of it, but I was under the assumption that it's a motorcycle fax-paux to do that sort of thing to a BMW (what the hell do I know?):confused:

Speaking of ratiness, a buddy posted a pretty cool read on a different forum I'm on: http://www.ninja250blog.com/the-sunday-best/dirtbags/

It concerns a challenge of making a running motorcycle in a month with only $1000 to spend. It seems a bit hipster, but I thought the bikes were cool as hell:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Boru posted:

I was under the assumption that it's a motorcycle fax-paux to do that sort of thing to a BMW (what the hell do I know?):confused:

Depends who you talk to, to some BMW collectors it's utter sacrilege I'm sure but personally I think unless it's something rare, unique or with special historical significance then do what you like.

I'm rebuilding and trail-ising my old BSA Bantam with extra clearance, high exhaust, etc. On the one hand it's a 'classic' 60s bike, on the other hand they made tons of the Bantam and there are plenty of them kept fully original for posterity.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ReelBigLizard posted:

Depends who you talk to,
As a vintage BMW owner I can state that I don't care what anyone does to a /5 or newer BMW, but if you start messing with a /2 or earlier, you better be very clever and tasteful.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a vintage BMW owner I can state that I don't care what anyone does to a /5 or newer BMW, but if you start messing with a /2 or earlier, you better be very clever and tasteful.

Damnit Rev, don't you tempt me! I've wanted a BMW forever, and now I almost have a reason for a matte black rattlecan paintjob. Just to be contrary...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You might not want to click this GIS-link then: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...iw=1280&bih=687

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
OUCH, drat. Hella dirtbike crash. oof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzW0IZ8L_8

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Silver posted:

OUCH, drat. Hella dirtbike crash. oof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzW0IZ8L_8

drat that was some serious air.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
From one rock to another rock. Fuuuck that's some lovely luck.

Why does the camera stop?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ziploc posted:

From one rock to another rock. Fuuuck that's some lovely luck.

Why does the camera stop?

because it got smashed on a rock?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

because it got smashed on a rock?

they said it survived in the comments.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I hurt just watching that video. I've done something similar but my wreck ended when I hit a tree. I find riding in a group makes people ride faster than they may be comfortable with. If I'm with others I prefer to play sweeper and take my time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y

people need to chill the gently caress out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's a bit long, but the funny parts are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBcidw4iTa0

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This looked fairly tidy as far as cafe-ish bikes are concerned.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Yeah if you speak their moon language.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KARMA! posted:

:3: That's a brilliant idea for teaching someone how to get their knee down.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yeah if you speak their moon language.

I don't. still found it funny.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

It was a little over a year ago when we were talking about this guy:

Well I just saw on HFL the price... $37,000. Yeah gently caress that. I know there was a lot of back and forth over whether this bike was going to be any good but whoever said, (I think Z3n...) it was going to be way over priced called it. I still hope Motus can make it and they sell some of these things but there's no way I'd ever be able to own one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

Well I just saw on HFL the price... $37,000. Yeah gently caress that. I know there was a lot of back and forth over whether this bike was going to be any good but whoever said, (I think Z3n...) it was going to be way over priced called it. I still hope Motus can make it and they sell some of these things but there's no way I'd ever be able to own one.

Yeah I don't think any of us will ever get to ride one :( Fingers crossed that I'm wrong but I doubt they'll be handing out the demo rides.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Is it just me or does that rear tire look stupid big?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KARMA! posted:

those Hondas remind me of some monster from a video game... I can't think of which one though, and it's driving me nuts. Something from Kid Icarus?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

For what it's worth, the $37,000 is the price for the R model. The base MST is around $30,000. Still, a hell of a lot of dough.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's what, 50% over the price of a BMW tourer? Or the price of a fully optioned Triumph Tiger 800XC over here. :argh:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
For $30k I could get an R1, a Vstrom, a concours and another DRZ and still have money left over for insurance/mods. I can't figure out what their market segment is...

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

For $30k I could get an R1, a Vstrom, a concours and another DRZ and still have money left over for insurance/mods. I can't figure out what their market segment is...

Doctors, lawyers, accountants, the BMW crowd, rich people, people with money, lottery winners, cash settlement people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Their market segment is Jay Leno. That said, it does take plenty of time and volume to bring the unit cost down. You either start small, risk millions and sell to millionaires or you start big, sell to everyone but risk billions.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Some people mentioned that optioned out Harleys can hit $40k....

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Coredump posted:

Some people mentioned that optioned out Harleys can hit $40k....

I'm pretty sure they get a lot more expensive than that once the owner gets a-hold of the JC Whitney catalog

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm pretty sure they get a lot more expensive than that once the owner gets a-hold of the JC Whitney catalog

GIMME DAT KURYAKYN CATALOG

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A Real Harley Owner(tm) would never buy such plebeian unbranded aftermarket junk :smug:

Screamin' Eagle(tm) or nothing :smugbert:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

clutchpuck posted:

For what it's worth, the $37,000 is the price for the R model. The base MST is around $30,000. Still, a hell of a lot of dough.

$37k for something with a ~$4k set of BSTs, ~$2.5ish k Ohlins forks, $1k Ohlins shock, and $2k Brembos isn't too shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

$37k for something with a ~$4k set of BSTs, ~$2.5ish k Ohlins forks, $1k Ohlins shock, and $2k Brembos isn't too shabby.

I've got a S1000RR with a bar kit and all of those things that I'll sell to you and you alone for a mere 30k! Pretty much the same bike plus abs, traction control, and all the sweet bits. And a decent profit for me too :buddy:

And another 7k for a set of parts that only probably cost them half to 1/3rd that isn't a bonus at all.

I desperately want to be excited about something like the Motus but I just can't when I could assemble a bike with only off the shelf, bolt on parts for half the price that'd perform just as well if not better.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 28, 2012