Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

crime fighting hog posted:

Asphyxious, Hell Bringer

Hello beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
QUEUE MORTAL COMBAT MUSIC:

IT HASSSS BEGUN.....

Paintlander 2: The Paintening

Once I break out those Vallejo Liquid Golds it is going to be on like Rae Dawn Chong.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

I'm not sure if anyone already posted it but I thought I'd make sure everyone knows that the main painting oath thread now features a Privateer-sponsored grand prize of the entire P3 Paint and Hobby line (individual items pending availability at the time of the award).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472649

As a goon who works at Privateer and found WARMACHINE through a much earlier iteration of this thread it was a real pleasure to arrange the prize support. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow, that makes me wish I was even slightly good at painting. What do you do at PP?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

KuangMkV posted:

I'm not sure if anyone already posted it but I thought I'd make sure everyone knows that the main painting oath thread now features a Privateer-sponsored grand prize of the entire P3 Paint and Hobby line (individual items pending availability at the time of the award).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472649

As a goon who works at Privateer and found WARMACHINE through a much earlier iteration of this thread it was a real pleasure to arrange the prize support. :)

Do you guys need interns or anything

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Sab669 posted:

Wow, that makes me wish I was even slightly good at painting. What do you do at PP?

You'll get a shorter answer if you ask him what he doesn't do. :v:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
What are peoples thoughts on transport and storage solutions for Warmachine? My friend has one of those BattleFoam bags, but I don't like how rough the foam is, or the price-point of the bag. I was looking at these guys: http://portablewarfare.com/products/ but wanted to check in here first.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

AttackBacon posted:

I have a battlefoam bag, but I am really interested in KR Multicase at the moment.

Their system allows you to buy Pre-Cut filled Cardboard boxes, and then put those cardboard boxes in a nice bag/box.

I think this would be useful for people like me who have more than once force. Buy X of the Cardboard boxes, and 1 Case big enough for 1 army. That way I would have a tournament carry system, as well as a nice home storage option.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I have a battlefoam bag, but I am really interested in KR Multicase at the moment.

Their system allows you to buy Pre-Cut filled Cardboard boxes, and then put those cardboard boxes in a nice bag/box.

I think this would be useful for people like me who have more than once force. Buy X of the Cardboard boxes, and 1 Case big enough for 1 army. That way I would have a tournament carry system, as well as a nice home storage option.

Get out of my head dexefiend. This is basically what I was going to say. KR is pretty great.

I think PV has/had one of those Portable Warfare bags, so maybe he can give you some details.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'm the community manager and a staff writer. Gay Polymers has the right of it. :)

crime fighting hog posted:

Do you guys need interns or anything

Sorry, dude. But if you watch our front page we occasionally post open positions.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I have and prefer BattleFoam, personally, but KR is excellent. PW and Sabol are good.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

AttackBacon posted:

What are peoples thoughts on transport and storage solutions for Warmachine? My friend has one of those BattleFoam bags, but I don't like how rough the foam is, or the price-point of the bag. I was looking at these guys: http://portablewarfare.com/products/ but wanted to check in here first.

I have Portable Warfare and I like it so far. Never owned any others so I can't make comparisons though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never seen anything but BattleFoam, so I guess my opinion is pretty worthless, but I really like it. I do actually like the "sturdyness" of the foam because then I don't need to worry about the walls breaking or whatever. The only thing I don't like is that my Cryx are really difficult to get out because of their excessive pointy bits but I think that would be any thing.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

AttackBacon posted:

My friend has one of those BattleFoam bags, but I don't like how rough the foam

Rough? If its too rough it means you're not varnishing your models. The foam is stiff for sure, but that's a good thing.

I'll agree with you on the price though.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important
So, a friend and I have finally decided to see how the other half live and are going to pick up Warmachine.

He's planning to go Cygnar, and I'm leaning towards Cryx but I was hoping for some advice. Generally, I like flexible armies that can be played multiple different ways, or have flexible lists (like, you have ABCD, you can run ABC, BCD, ABD, etc instead of having to buy all new stuff for each list). I get bored running the same thing over and over, but I like it to be as cost-effective as possible.

Would Cryx fit this profile? If not, I'm open to suggestions. Also, what should I start with other than the Battlegroup (assuming that's even recommended) to be competitive? We're looking at starting at ~15 points and then gradually going up to 35 and then seeing how we like it after that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CrotchPheasant posted:

So, a friend and I have finally decided to see how the other half live and are going to pick up Warmachine.

He's planning to go Cygnar, and I'm leaning towards Cryx but I was hoping for some advice. Generally, I like flexible armies that can be played multiple different ways, or have flexible lists (like, you have ABCD, you can run ABC, BCD, ABD, etc instead of having to buy all new stuff for each list). I get bored running the same thing over and over, but I like it to be as cost-effective as possible.

Would Cryx fit this profile? If not, I'm open to suggestions. Also, what should I start with other than the Battlegroup (assuming that's even recommended) to be competitive? We're looking at starting at ~15 points and then gradually going up to 35 and then seeing how we like it after that.

I'm still a huge amateur, but I feel like Cryx are very flexible. I don't have too many units, but I feel like their warcaster can be swapped out easily and still maintain a strong army with that 1 change, and completely change how the army runs. Most of their infantry seem fairly strong, but I'm personally a huge fan of Bane anything.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

CrotchPheasant posted:

Yeah, pretty well actually. Get full Bane Thralls with Tartarus, full Mechanithralls, a Necrosurgeon, the Deathjack, a couple of Bonejacks for nodes, a Warwitch Siren, and a Skarlock.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

That particular list I used pAsphyxious (from now on pGaspy) but you could also run that list very effectively with eGaspy, either Skarre, and either Deneghra with very little swapping. Cryx infantry is absolutely killer, especially the Bane Brick (Bane Thralls with Unit Attachment and Bane Lord Tartarus) and Mechanithralls with the Necrosurgeons backing them up and rebuilding them as they go. You can take that list, plug and play casters, and have a ton of variety.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Washout posted:

Why are they doing 3rd iterations of casters when they could have just done new models and given them those rules? I don't really want to paint yet another Gaspy. Or at least put in epic versions of all these other casters.

I just really wanted new large based casters. But I think I'm going to be eternally disappointed.

3Me is on a large base. Menoth Supremacy. :catholic:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So uh, if you're going to L&L this year and you haven't signed up for any events yet you're might be SOL. I'm on a waiting list for masters and hardcore but who knows if that means anything. :smith:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

AttackBacon posted:

I use a metal toolbox and magnetize my bases. It works very well. If you use enough magnets they don't bounce around at all. Plus I look like a renaissance man instead of a renaissance, man.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Bought a Talon from my FLGS' consignment case. "Hey, I play Mercs. And look! A $5 semi-useful jack!"

It has the worst come-at-me-bro pose, though:

Why the hell would you assemble a jack to look like that? Was this person in the habit of conceding matches, and wanted his figures to reflect that? :iiam:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

what exactly did he think shields were for?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Tadhg posted:

Bought a Talon from my FLGS' consignment case. "Hey, I play Mercs. And look! A $5 semi-useful jack!"

Why the hell would you assemble a jack to look like that? Was this person in the habit of conceding matches, and wanted his figures to reflect that? :iiam:

IT'S FUN TO STAY AT THE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tadhg posted:

I imagine it more of a 'oh what the gently caress just happened here?!' Like, he just watched a jack flamethrower his own infantry block by accident and he's just not sure if it's even fair to charge.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Mikael Kreoss posted:

3Me is on a large base. Menoth Supremacy. :catholic:

I hope You^3 is going to be awesome! I am buying Menites at the moment and I don't want buyer's remorse!

(Who am I kidding?!?! Menites kick rear end. I am really looking forward to sticking Thyra's Pursuit on a caster at some point. HILARIOUS GIMMICK AHOY!)

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

dexefiend posted:

I hope You^3 is going to be awesome! I am buying Menites at the moment and I don't want buyer's remorse!

(Who am I kidding?!?! Menites kick rear end. I am really looking forward to sticking Thyra's Pursuit on a caster at some point. HILARIOUS GIMMICK AHOY!)

Pursuit + Enliven + Thyra's Feat + Regular Charge distance = 20" non-linear threat range for Blood of Martyrs

Menites rock. :)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Gay Polymers posted:

Pursuit + Enliven + Thyra's Feat + Regular Charge distance = 20" non-linear threat range for Blood of Martyrs

Menites rock. :)

I was just joking about the hypothetical Thyra vs Caster Alone. Thyra hits them with pursuit and runs behind them.

They Turn to Face Her, and she jumps over them. Next turn, upkeep Pursuit, swings a lot. If not dead, caster turns to face her, and she jumps behind them. :repeat:

I imagine it would create the tastiest salty tears ever.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

The Aberrant posted:

So uh, if you're going to L&L this year and you haven't signed up for any events yet you're might be SOL. I'm on a waiting list for masters and hardcore but who knows if that means anything. :smith:

I went to register for stuff ten minutes after the registration opened and two of the classes I wanted to attend were full.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Arlaharen posted:

I went to register for stuff ten minutes after the registration opened and two of the classes I wanted to attend were full.

Yeah it's pretty drat ridiculous, I'm hoping they announce more seating soon. They could easily fit more tables in that conference center by moving some poo poo around.

I'll be asking for a refund and cancelling my vacation down to Seattle if not. Why the gently caress did registration open up at 12:00 anyways, it wasn't like this last year!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Edit - SOLD!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 28, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Oh, Vallejo Liquid Golds, you are so dreamy. :allears:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Hey all...due to not having time to paint, let alone play, I'm looking to give these models a good home and a player who'll use them to hammer their enemies and get absolutely smashed.

If it's frowned upon to post this stuff in the thread, let me know and I will take it to SA-Mart. I just prefer to go directly to the consumers, since not everyone checks SA-Mart.

Fennblade Box (8 models) - based and skin painted.
Officer and Drummer (2 models) - in pack

Uh, should be 10 Fennblades before the UA.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Feeple posted:

Uh, should be 10 Fennblades before the UA.

Whoops. You're right, fixed.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Didn't mean to be a dick, just wanted to make sure it was all there.

This is a hilariously good deal on Trollbloods, BTW.
:)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KuangMkV posted:

Line 72 of his resume:

"Guy who writes PP fluff who goons argue with about PP fluff"

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Feeple posted:

This is a hilariously good deal on Trollbloods, BTW.
:)

ffffffffff, I have no reason for having a 5th army but god drat am I sweating those trolls.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

ffffffffff, I have no reason for having a 5th army but god drat am I sweating those trolls.

drat good deal. I have a little voice saying "You bought all that Cygnar! And you keep outfitting Highborn! And Khador! Still haven't sold your Circle or Ret!" But waaaant.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Raiche posted:

drat good deal. I have a little voice saying "You bought all that Cygnar! And you keep outfitting Highborn! And Khador! Still haven't sold your Circle or Ret!" But waaaant.

What Ret do you have Raiche?

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I've been really getting deep into Warmachine lately, as a Menoth player. :catholic: I absolutely love the baroque look to a lot of them, especially the medium-based exemplar, and they are a very interesting "underdog" of sorts in the universe. For a while, however, I wasn't feeling it with the difficulty understanding some of the less obvious synergies or even abilities like Enliven seemed silly to me. I've since fallen deep, deep in love with Reznik and his 'jack shenanigans, and come to appreciate the absolutely astounding tricks that can come out of his and others' abilities in the faction.

My second game with him, it was a 25 point against the Old Witch. We had a very nice stalemate clash on his battle line, with me getting a few good charges, but not being able to straight-up trash his 'jacks or murder his Man-o-Wars, while he had sent some Kayazy Eliminators around my flank. I really didn't think anything of them at first, but then saw them just step past my Crusader and wail on some poor, innocent Choir, and I realized I didn't really have a backup plan (or a chance, with nothing to defend back there but more choir), so I just tried punching straight to the Old Witch with my stuff.

On his next turn, he just teleported her right over to Reznik with Avatar of Slaughter on and gave him a few good bleeders, leaving him with five boxes remaining. I was about ready to concede... Until his Eliminators failed their terror check in charging him. On my turn, I loaded him up with his full Focus, expecting to have to tear her up pretty good to match the hurt he put on me, popping Engine of Destruction on and everything. I started picking up dice to roll, and realized she still had Avatar of Slaughter on, giving me the extra dice from Purgation. One swing later, she was wrack'd, having dealt a disgusting 11 damage more than she had to begin with.

I don't even care now about a lot of my old troubles, I just want to see how many other Warnouns (or any other model) I can wrack with him. Even so, having a background in Warhammer, particularly with Dark Elves and Dark Eldar of yesteryear, I'm trying to think of a nice secondary army to do in line with that. I've got a lot of interest in Legion, but don't like how beast heavy they are. I love the Nyss, especially from my brief stints with the old Iron Kingdoms stuff for D&D3.0, but their sculpts can be pretty bad. Other than that, I have an interest in Skorne and to a lesser extent Retribution. I don't suppose anyone can tell me how these compare with the same kind of "fragile but fierce" armies I was keen on in the past, as well as how they size up against Menoth?

Not to take ten million years, but I've also been absolutely floored by the fantastic customer support that Privateer Press has given me, between missing bitz, wrong cards, online orders, and everything else. Normally, I'd be pretty furious about having to deal with customer support in the first place, but I would take these guys out to dinner for how painless it's all been. Something fancy, with fish, and wine. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Tanon posted:

What Ret do you have Raiche?

A Ret 'battle box'. So.. Kaelyssa, plastic kit, Griffon and Chimera.

• Locked thread