Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They talked about Breitbart on Overtime in the context of Matt Taibbi's eulogy.

Bob Lutz ruined about ten minutes worth of this episode but rescued himself a bit on Overtime by strongly supporting electric cars.

Regarding climate change, I've asked climate change denialists about the hole in the Ozone layer and if they believe that it was caused by man. Invariably they say yes. Then I've asked why they think that could happen but the climate getting warmer due to greenhouse gases is completely out of the question. They never have a logical response.

The difference, of course, is that when the science on Ozone depletion came out in the 70s, and then became a big issue in the 80s, there were much fewer corporations or politicians actively denying it and trumping up pseudo-science to confuse people. If the hole in the Ozone layer started forming today you can bet there would be half the population denying it even exists, or that if it does exist they'd deny that it's anthropogenic.

DivisionPost posted:

I don't pay much attention to Neil DeGrasse Tyson because he scares the poo poo out of me.

However, I also love him because he scares the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeBoy
Dec 7, 2001

Good to see Neil on again. Loved his huge roll-eyes when the global warming discussion started.

Sad to see Bill on the "What has NASA ever given us besides Tang" bandwagon. It sucks that most public discussion on NASA or Space exploration ends in "lol nerds" or isn't taken seriously.

A good excuse to post this link:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/nasacity/index2.htm

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A nicely solid ep, minus the GM guy in general. I was expecting a Breitbart clip on the starter mildly along the lines of Hitchens or some such instead of that random, sad Nader one.

Just once, I'd like to see them drag on the first interview guest to the panel just for kicks---let them drag that chair over there or some such and just wing it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You must be some kind of idiot to go on national tv and try to debate Tyson on global warming.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

magiccarpet posted:

You must be some kind of idiot to go on national tv and try to debate Tyson on global warming.

Well you have to be some kind of idiot to deny global warming in the first place so yeah.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RudeBoy posted:

Sad to see Bill on the "What has NASA ever given us besides Tang" bandwagon. It sucks that most public discussion on NASA or Space exploration ends in "lol nerds" or isn't taken seriously.

Yea, I just read that Obama's budget is nixing a planned 2016 and 2018 mission.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/02/27/researcher-obama-budget-end-of-the-mars-program/

It's disheartening when we're spending billions in Afghanistan on a weekly basis.

Good NASA link BTW.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love NDT but I wish he'd mention how absolutely goddamn miniscule the NASA budget is more. It's always the "we could spend that money here!!!" poo poo, and people think NASA gets like 25% of the federal budget. NASA's yearly budget is seriously like eight days in Afghanistan.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I dig NGT, his interview this week on NPR loving owned. He brought up all the technology advances that came about (microprocessors, etc) because of NASA and how we just loving blow it off now like "OH NERDS." I hope at least some kids were watching his Nova shows and I look forward to his take on Cosmos as well (I'm old enough to remember the first Carl Sagan version.)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 4, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I love NDT but I wish he'd mention how absolutely goddamn miniscule the NASA budget is more. It's always the "we could spend that money here!!!" poo poo, and people think NASA gets like 25% of the federal budget. NASA's yearly budget is seriously like eight days in Afghanistan.

But why spend money on high tech toys not designed for killing and maiming other people?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

etalian posted:

But why spend money on high tech toys not designed for killing and maiming other people?

Because NASA invents guidance systems that make your weapons more accurate! :science:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Because NASA invents guidance systems that make your weapons more accurate! :science:

Who needs accuracy when you can just drop more bombs.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Grand Fromage posted:

ROBOTS TAKING OUR JOBS! :rant:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tyson will testify to senate on NASA on March 7th. Link

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Former Human posted:

They talked about Breitbart on Overtime in the context of Matt Taibbi's eulogy.
Speaking of which...

Feeling too good lately? Too much trust in your fellow man? Just skip down to Matt's addendum to the story and the resulting comments.

You're welcome.

I'm also available to kick anyone in the nuts.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Stare-Out posted:

Tyson will testify to senate on NASA on March 7th. Link

You tell them, reverend Neill!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

richardfun posted:

You tell them, reverend Neill!
He's about to.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Eh, so did anyone think that last Pelosi video was kinda bullshit? With the Mississippi video, it all seemed more natural. The questions she asked were related to the questions in the recent poll. She went to different places and talked to different people. She insisted that the people in the interview weren't cherry-picked for the purpose of delivering a particular narrative.

But the most recent video seemed geared to do just that. It didn't even seem like she spent half the time working on it. Probably because she claimed that the area she filmed was across the street from her house. Maybe she was feeling lazy?

She talked to a doorman who was like "Yeah, they look LAZY to me! Why can't they work like ME?" (I wonder, has that doorman ever talked to any of the people he assumes are lazy?) She talked to maybe four people loitering outside of the building. Why not talk to the people inside? Why not talk to the people who work in the offices? Why not go to other places instead of ONE FREAKING SPOT?

It just seemed to me like she was far more concerned with making the "left scream" than actually making a good companion piece to the video she did in Mississippi.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
She sort of did this the last time she was on as a guest, that I caught, an odd sideline comment along the lines of "BOTH BOTH BOTH" prior to either video.

I was expecting her to, you know, neighborhood crawl in general comparable to rural excursion from before. I can get the "my backyard" angle, but that's not really congruent with what she'd established in the first video.

Otherwise, it was a meh episode to me---Ratigan seemed to be the only person lively aside from Holmes seemingly jumping at every chance to play mild contrarian. I want to think she used to be a more engaging panel member. Overtime was pretty worthless given they only asked like 2-3 questions then claimed to be out---really guys, I mean come on!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wow, I may be a terrible person. I can barely take this bald guy [Andrew Sullivan] seriously because of the sound of his voice.

EDIT: Loved what he had to say about the Catholic take on hatred, though. That's always been my experience.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 24, 2012

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I was a bit confused by Bill Maher's final New Rule on friday about how if you don't like something, just ignore it and go on with your life. Not for nothing, but isn't this the guy that made a whole documentary on religion because he doesn't like it?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

fart blood posted:

I was a bit confused by Bill Maher's final New Rule on friday about how if you don't like something, just ignore it and go on with your life. Not for nothing, but isn't this the guy that made a whole documentary on religion because he doesn't like it?

He comments on stuff all the time, he does it for a living, what he was complaining about is trying to make people apologize or get them off the air. He points out how dumb religion is, but he doesn't want to make them shut up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

He's about to.

I watched it. There was a ton of budget arguing before Dr. Tyson makes his appearance at ~100 minute mark.

nickmeister posted:

But the most recent video seemed geared to do just that. It didn't even seem like she spent half the time working on it. Probably because she claimed that the area she filmed was across the street from her house. Maybe she was feeling lazy?

Maybe she said it in the past two episodes she's been on (I forget if she did) but what was the point of the videos besides "Hey look here's some dumb poor Republicans with no teeth. Tune in next week for some dumb poor Democrats eating Pringles?"

Maybe it's her ode to Titicut Follies.

nickmeister posted:

Why not talk to the people inside? Why not talk to the people who work in the offices? Why not go to other places instead of ONE FREAKING SPOT?

I have a feeling they wouldn't let her and cameras inside a gov't/unemployment office.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Overtime was pretty worthless given they only asked like 2-3 questions then claimed to be out---really guys, I mean come on!

It appeared that he got flustered after the guest made a joke about him knowing the gay neighborhoods in every metropolitan area and he started reading off the old cards again and then launched the ejection seat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nickmeister posted:

Eh, so did anyone think that last Pelosi video was kinda bullshit? With the Mississippi video, it all seemed more natural. The questions she asked were related to the questions in the recent poll. She went to different places and talked to different people. She insisted that the people in the interview weren't cherry-picked for the purpose of delivering a particular narrative.

She talked to a doorman who was like "Yeah, they look LAZY to me! Why can't they work like ME?" (I wonder, has that doorman ever talked to any of the people he assumes are lazy?) She talked to maybe four people loitering outside of the building. Why not talk to the people inside? Why not talk to the people who work in the offices? Why not go to other places instead of ONE FREAKING SPOT?

It just seemed to me like she was far more concerned with making the "left scream" than actually making a good companion piece to the video she did in Mississippi.

I'd have loved it if she'd of asked these people more in-depth questions. Things like WHY a check is the only thing someone cares about when it comes to elections. I suspect the reason a lot of poor people are in it for the check and don't want to work is because of the uncomfortable reality that working in the US is kind of a scam. At least until you start to make a living wage plus benefits.

I mean, think about it. You're an inner city kid with no money and no connections. You just finished high school but college is way too expensive for you to afford right now. Do you:

A) Get 2 minimum wage jobs that don't provide benefits, take up 9/10ths of your day, treat you like absolute poo poo, and pay just enough for you to barely live (alone) in a God-forsaken rat-hole in the wrong part of a lovely neighborhood. This of course assumes they are hiring in the first place.

or

B) Bilk a system which clearly doesn't give a gently caress about you for all it's worth.

I'd do B. I'm not even ashamed to admit it.

Fake edit: I suppose I could also add "C) gently caress the whole thing and make money selling weed/stealing cars/etc.". Which probably happens a lot too.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The idea behind Alexandra Pelosi's videos was to point out that the stereotypes the left thinks about the right, and vice versa, are often true. What the two sides complain about really does exist.

There are a lot of conservatives that vote strictly on close-minded religious grounds and hate Obama because he's black. And there are a lot of liberals (or, rather, people who take advantage of liberal programs) that want free money and don't care about giving back to society.

All she needed to do was demonstrate these people exist, whether in the South or in New York across from her apartment. She wasn't out to do an in-depth documentary on cultural motivations and biases and income inequality.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Did anyone think that both these groups didn't exist? If so have you never left your hometown?

Both halves of the segment came across as pretty lazy to me, it's no secret and hardly difficult to prove that stupid, lazy people exist everywhere in the country, and pointing this out just reeks of elitist audience pandering. It's not journalism, it's just like a lazy Sociology 101 final project.

It would have been far more interesting to spend time asking average people questions about politics and issues and how their opinions were formed instead of playing "gotcha dummy!" with easy targets.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I agree. And there wasn't the flat out hatred that you heard form the right wingers. I also didn't get the whole 'creepy hip hop music' playing in the background while some guy stares at various girl's asses. That gave the impression that the southerners were at least good, hard working people who have a good reason to be racist, not just against people who take advantage of the system.

I'm glad Maher at least told her that the people in New York had a stronger arguement, and Pelosi sat there like an idiot because she couldn't argue with him.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

They should have Matthew Weiner on the show every week.

EDIT: Also did anyone else cringe when the interview guest guy was like "whelp...buy my book for that answer:smug:.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maher mentioned that they won't discuss the ruling on ACA until June was it? Is that typical to wait so long?

ApexAftermath posted:

They should have Matthew Weiner on the show every week.

EDIT: Also did anyone else cringe when the interview guest guy was like "whelp...buy my book for that answer:smug:.

I cringe anytime I see a book on TV shows these days.

I did think Weiner was pretty good.

readingatwork posted:

Get 2 minimum wage jobs that don't provide benefits, take up 9/10ths of your day, treat you like absolute poo poo, and pay just enough for you to barely live (alone) in a God-forsaken rat-hole in the wrong part of a lovely neighborhood. This of course assumes they are hiring in the first place.

This is the truth for many people. I've witnessed people who work like a slave from morning to night in multiple jobs.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The "Use it or lose it" joke at the end ruled.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 1, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked this Republican guy, they should have him on more. How is it that Reagan is when everything really went wrong yet it seems most of the people who actually worked for Reagan are the reasonable conservatives now?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked this Republican guy, they should have him on more. How is it that Reagan is when everything really went wrong yet it seems most of the people who actually worked for Reagan are the reasonable conservatives now?

From most interviews I've seen with Reagan's previous staff, most of them realize how wrong they were.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
Make sure not to miss yesterday's episode if you want to see the smuggest douche ever.

I'm not kidding - he makes PJ O'Rourke look tolerable.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

amaranthine posted:

Make sure not to miss yesterday's episode if you want to see the smuggest douche ever.

This guy was especially useless, since basically everything he said boiled down to "The gender gap/taxes/the Ryan budget is a serious issue for Romney but it's actually going to cost Obama the election because it's not a problem for Romney" :smug:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

amaranthine posted:

As soon as Bill introduced him, I thought 'huh, I didn't know a human being could be completely made up of douchy smugness.

I found his behaviour alot more tolarable than his appearance though.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

richardfun posted:

As soon as Bill introduced him, I thought 'huh, I didn't know a human being could be completely made up of douchy smugness.

I found his behaviour alot more tolarable than his appearance though.

Most of what he said was your usual Republican talking point, it was just the way that he said it. His stupid self-satisfied smile every time he said anything made me want to punch him in the kidney.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

amaranthine posted:

My wife wanted to punch the TV as soon as she saw him, didn't even know who he was. I felt the same after his second sentence.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Watching the episode now and god this guy is a smug dweeb.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, would've much rather had Tavis on the panel again, or Cornel West swoop down from the rafters after the book plug for it, than that incredibly smug guy that added nothing to it but smug. To his credit, such that it can be, he at least didn't go on a loud interrupting spree.

Besides, PJ lost his mantle to that rear end Gillespie in his smug jacket back in last season.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Haha holy poo poo that picture of Marcus Bachman during new rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, would've much rather had Tavis on the panel again, or Cornel West swoop down from the rafters after the book plug for it, than that incredibly smug guy that added nothing to it but smug. To his credit, such that it can be, he at least didn't go on a loud interrupting spree.

That would have been way better yeah. Who was the smug little prick anyway? Some guy who runs a right wing website? Is it even a big one?

Tavis Smiley is a guy I need to learn more about though. He perfectly articulated why I hate Obama/the democrats and why I hope the mandate is found unconstitutional.