Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Primetime posted:

Does anyone remember the old Sears air conditioning commercial that used to run on every single commercial break of just about every channel in the 90's? Where some guys wife keeps nagging with "did you call yet?" Then eventually the guy caves in and goes "I'll call now." Then the commercial ends with a lame pun about it being a hot day and the wife says "cool."

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on SA a few months ago looking to find this very commercial, but I don't think it was ever found. But that commercial is the one thing I think of if I think of the 90's.

That thread was from a few years ago, not months, and the ad was found and uploaded to YouTube, and posted on the very first page of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Benne posted:

I can't remember the link, but a former contestant wrote his story in webcomic form that described his experience, and it was just as horrible as you said. So I choose to blame the producers for:

a) putting them through that in the first place

b) putting it on TV for rear end in a top hat kids like me to mock them

It was still an awesome show.

Does anyone have this link? My Google-fu has been failing me, and this sounds too funny to miss.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

wildzero posted:

Greetings from the Street Boyzz!

I loving loved this show and I wish it would come back.

Haha this show was brilliant. I remember it was on before Power Rangers, which is what introduced me to it. I'm guessing that was 1993.

Now who remembers the Incredible Crash Dummies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKZQKCzqh84

I remember this was just a one-off special they'd show periodically, and I'd always watch with high hopes of there being more than one episode (there wasn't). The toys were pretty sweet though, mostly vehicles that would fall apart and fling the dummies upon a gentle impact.

Also Earthworm Jim...the cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRli1rRMoSQ

This came along when I was a bit older, so I could appreciate more of the humor. I just remember one episode centered around the secret to destroying the universe being printed in all copies of this one children's book. Thing is, no one ever got to it because the page before it was some adorable animal or something. Plus, Dan Castallanetta was the voice of Jim if I'm not mistaken.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Has anybody mentioned Gargoyles yet? I always wondered whatever happened to this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Spaced Invaders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-p00cDvN4

That's a great movie, I don't care what anybody says.

Hey, anybody remember The Tomorrow People?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Has anybody mentioned Gargoyles yet? I always wondered whatever happened to this show:

The final season got a bit bizarre, if I remember correctly.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Hi, I'm Buzzy the Knowledge Bug.

This motherfucker taught me about all the obscure animals of the Amazon Rainforest when I was a 9 year old.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

magic pantaloons posted:

Hi, I'm Buzzy the Knowledge Bug.

This motherfucker taught me about all the obscure animals of the Amazon Rainforest when I was a 9 year old.

Holy poo poo what was the name of this game I need to know

Speaking of rad kiddy games, I played so much Humongous Entertainment stuff. Spy Fox, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, though I think this was probably my favorite.

Pep was the best.

Anyway, remember these little motherfuckers?

So cute, so collectible! I had to have them all. :smith:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Wonder World aquariums. I got one as a kid and it came with plastic whales but the magic water stuff didn't set for poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSEpPmpmiyo

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Mar 27, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpazmasterX posted:

They fired the guy whose idea it was and it went off the rails, pretty much.

How about this poo poo?!

Undulated tinamou! :argh:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Looper posted:

Speaking of rad kiddy games, I played so much Humongous Entertainment stuff. Spy Fox, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, though I think this was probably my favorite.

Pep was the best.

Those games kicked copious amounts of rear end. Good adventure games that didn't constantly screw you over like the Sierra classics.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

Croisquessein posted:

Hey, anybody remember The Tomorrow People?

Was that the one with the people who could teleport? And had like a crashed space poo poo under a beach? Or am I completely wrong?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Playing this on the computer in the library and getting stuck at the same part each time.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Beyond the Mind's Eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdFfVx-LkN8

Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCoCTkC0oL0

Any early computer animation that's made for people on psychedelics.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

There's been some great 90's shows posted so far, but I didn't see anyone post this badass show.

SWAT Kats : The Radical Squadron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdqpWiBliw

The coolest loving jet ever. drat thing had a motorcycle inside that the co-pilot could drop out on, in addition to a huge list of other cool poo poo.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Those games kicked copious amounts of rear end. Good adventure games that didn't constantly screw you over like the Sierra classics.

What a beautiful shell.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Oh my god.

Freddie Fish, yesssssss

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Spy Fox was my personal favorite. Mostly because of all the COOL SPY GADGETS! :swoon:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For a while it seemed like everyone was playing Lemmings on their pc, EVERYONE.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Spy Fox was my personal favorite. Mostly because of all the COOL SPY GADGETS! :swoon:

I always wanted to play that game but didn't even though it was available through Scholastic Book club.

Speaking of which:

I love this thread :3:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

oldpainless posted:

Mighty Max spoilers:
Both Virgil and Norman die in the last episode

What?!

Motherfucker, you just blew my mind. I am speechless here. The obvious solution is to rewatch the show in its entirety.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

H.H posted:

What?!

Motherfucker, you just blew my mind. I am speechless here. The obvious solution is to rewatch the show in its entirety.

Oh, but by rewatching the show you're merely getting trapped in the cycle again. Since Max loses the final confrontation and is forced to jump back to the very beginning of the series to try again.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Was it Bad Influence your thinking of? Used to be on Citv? http://bad-influence.co.uk/
This wasn't it, exactly, but you got the presenter - Violet Berlin - right! Apparently, the show I had in mind was rather obscure, because the best I can find on short notice are a few references and this video, which only shows the competitive bit I mentioned earlier. Turns out that it was actually called "Head to Head" (I had some vague memory of this), and was indeed broadcast on TCC. Anyway, thanks for suggesting Bad Influence, I'm sure I'd never have figured it out without knowing her name.

This also puts me in mind of the ultimate in (very) early '90s computergame-related camp: Video Power! That intro is simply astonishing.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh, but by rewatching the show you're merely getting trapped in the cycle again. Since Max loses the final confrontation and is forced to jump back to the very beginning of the series to try again.

poo poo, why do I keep reading the spoilers?
Reagrdless, I still have to watch evry single episode. So thanks for reminding me about this show's existence, even if the ending is kinda spoiled for me now.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Mister Chief posted:

Playing this on the computer in the library and getting stuck at the same part each time.

Yes! My dad got obsessed with this and completed it. We had it at home long before the school got it so the teacher was really impressed with my logic abilities :cool:

Key things I remember about the 90s (I was born in 1989)- feeling grown up when I watched Daria, and thinking that The Tribe was the most awesome show in the universe. All the adults are dead! Everyone wears what they want!

I wish I could get some better images of the costumes, I thought they were so cool...

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
Crossfire was already discussed earlier but I didn't see this video posted. Completely hilarious and brilliant if you ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvDUx-RWJxw

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
--=[[ P3P5i T00lZ L04d3d ]]=-

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Looper posted:

Anyway, remember these little motherfuckers?

So cute, so collectible! I had to have them all. :smith:

Oh god that reminds me of a cultural phenomenon that really took off in the 90s and that was the Collector's Market.

See in 1992 someone discovered a copy of Action Comics #1 (The first appearance of Superman in 1938 for those who somehow don't know this) and it sold for $82,000 which was completely unexpected at the time. This came out of nowhere and started a really bad trend in comics that extended to a lot of stuff.

People started collecting toys and comic books with the intent of not opening the box, because they could be worth millions some day! But that's not how it works. Action Comics was only valuable because
A. It was 50 years old
B. Superman is one of the biggest cultural icons of all time
and the root of the problem C. No one expected this to be of any value. Most people threw out these comics when they became adults, which is why it's so rare.

If people all have the intent to save these things, they won't be rare because no one is throwing them out. The comic industry capitalized on this and did absolutely ridiculous gimmicks like multiple covers or HOLOGRAPHIC ART (Hey 90s remember this too?) for any piece of poo poo #1 they were pushing that week.

The trend became big with beanie babies after too. Price guides were loving EVERYWHERE. I remember sports cards and TCGs like Pokemon all have price guides too which is why they carried binders around with sleeves, to keep them in mint condition. Kids genuinely thought they were gonna be rich some day when these guides gave them unrealistic numbers of over $100 for a mint condition Princess Diana Beanie Baby (And that was in 90s! Think in a few decades!).

I feel like this sort of thing died down since then. You still see it, but not nearly as crazy as the Beanie Baby or comic craze.

Now a curiosity of mine about another "90s trend", did any one feel like there was a surge of interest in the supernatural in the 90s? When I was a kid I watched a TV shows like Unsolved Mysteries and Fact or Fiction and had books that talked about supposed encounters with ghosts and aliens and such. You also had shows intended to be fiction like The X-Files and Buffy.

I'm curious if there really was a surge of interest or I was just so into it at the time, and now I'm not because I don't feel like you see as much of that stuff anymore.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Mar 27, 2012

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TheDon01 posted:

There's been some great 90's shows posted so far, but I didn't see anyone post this badass show.

SWAT Kats : The Radical Squadron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdqpWiBliw

The coolest loving jet ever. drat thing had a motorcycle inside that the co-pilot could drop out on, in addition to a huge list of other cool poo poo.

Ahh yes, the show that at least helped contribute to the Furry culture that would erupt just a few short years later.

Here's something very 90's: CD ROM games with pre rendered graphics!

Available in 256 colors, or 16 bit color later on, some of these games have a certain mystique in those static 640x480 backgrounds. Oregon Trail 2 comes to mind for me. (Funnily enough Oregon Trail 2 will run under Windows 3.1 in DOSBOX)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RagnarokAngel posted:

Now a curiosity of mine about another "90s trend", did any one feel like there was a surge of interest in the supernatural in the 90s? When I was a kid I watched a TV shows like Unsolved Mysteries and Fact or Fiction and had books that talked about supposed encounters with ghosts and aliens and such. You also had shows intended to be fiction like The X-Files and Buffy.

I'm curious if there really was a surge of interest or I was just so into it at the time, and now I'm not because I don't feel like you see as much of that stuff anymore.

This really hasn't gone away, look at Harry Potter (which started in the 90s, and was set there) and Twilight.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Neoplanet. Skinned programs in general. See also: Sonique.

Dominoes has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Mar 27, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Primetime posted:

Does anyone remember the old Sears air conditioning commercial that used to run on every single commercial break of just about every channel in the 90's? Where some guys wife keeps nagging with "did you call yet?" Then eventually the guy caves in and goes "I'll call now." Then the commercial ends with a lame pun about it being a hot day and the wife says "cool."

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on SA a few months ago looking to find this very commercial, but I don't think it was ever found. But that commercial is the one thing I think of if I think of the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread, but I can't find the post.

Bonus video: Nickelodeon Magazine

Dominoes has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Mar 27, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, like someone else said, the producers booted the creator off the show during production of season 3 (which was almost like season 4 because season 2 was crazy long...wikipedia says it was in two "volumes" of 26 episodes each.)

I know all this poo poo because like eight years ago I re-watched the whole drat series, and looked into why it went so bad in the last season and whatnot, so I found all this out:

The creator (Greg Weisman) had all these grandiose ideas, not just for the main show, but for like two or three spin-offs as well. The producers didn't want to bother with any of that, and sort of cleared house and what we got was a half-assed season three where the fat gargoyle becomes a freakin' action movie star in Hollywood, or some stupid poo poo. From wikipedia:

quote:

Because of major staff and writer changes, series creator Greg Weisman considers these episodes non-canon and instead has chosen to continue the storyline with the comic books published by Slave Labor Graphics. The only exception is the season premiere "The Journey," which Weisman wrote himself.

Here's a website that has a lot of info on what Greg wanted to do.

And I was wrong...not two or three spinoffs, but five. Yeah, it's no wonder Disney and ABC thought he was getting out of hand...it's too bad, because if he had been more grounded, maybe the third season would have been decent and even one or two of the spin-offs would have been made.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dominoes posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread, but I can't find the post.

Seriously dude? Did you read the post at the very top of this page?

Lovie Unsmith posted:

That thread was from a few years ago, not months, and the ad was found and uploaded to YouTube, and posted on the very first page of this thread.

:cmon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Athenry posted:

This really hasn't gone away, look at Harry Potter (which started in the 90s, and was set there) and Twilight.

I dunno, I think at this point they've changed, become a bit more... familiar. Harry Potter and Twilight are about supernatural and fantastical things, but we know them and they're totally human entities we're dealing with. Supernatural stuff in the 90's had this enormous air of mystery about it, that there are big questions, just waiting to be answered. You can sort of see it both in what we had then and what we have now.

In 90's supernatural fiction, the supernatural elements werent' human, they were supernatural - a mystery or some nebulous foe, just there to be solved by the end of the episode. These days it's, like I said, more humanised and localised, stuff's generally focusing on one specific type of supernatural being (wizards, vampires, demons, whatever) and they're treated as characters in their own right. The exception's Supernatural, which is mostly still the 'figure out this week's enemy, beat them' style.

I'd say more about the non-fiction paranormal shows, but I only ever watched a Neil Buchanan one that aired here on the Disney Channel near midnight for some reason, It's A Mystery. I'm gonna go ahead and file it in here, because that was a great show, just talking about weird stuff people had reported that wasn't always paranormal, sometimes it was just weird mundane stuff like why you can't tickle yourself. I sort of assume the other non-fiction paranormal shows around that time had a similar style, and it's a style that I think mutated into stuff like Mythbusters we have today.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I think at this point they've changed, become a bit more... familiar. Harry Potter and Twilight are about supernatural and fantastical things, but we know them and they're totally human entities we're dealing with. Supernatural stuff in the 90's had this enormous air of mystery about it, that there are big questions, just waiting to be answered. You can sort of see it both in what we had then and what we have now.

In 90's supernatural fiction, the supernatural elements werent' human, they were supernatural - a mystery or some nebulous foe, just there to be solved by the end of the episode. These days it's, like I said, more humanised and localised, stuff's generally focusing on one specific type of supernatural being (wizards, vampires, demons, whatever) and they're treated as characters in their own right. The exception's Supernatural, which is mostly still the 'figure out this week's enemy, beat them' style.
You may be thinking about this too hard. Harry Potter and Twilight are straight-up modern fantasy - it's not about the supernatural elements being "human" or not, it's about them being treated as a given that does not require explanation. The X-Files qualifies far more as science-fiction than fantasy, in that it is focused much, much more on investigating strange phenomena and exploring the human condition. By contrast, nobody in Harry Potter is particularly concerned with how magic actually works or where all these strange creatures come from, and Twilight's investigation into vampiric society and the way it reflects on humanity in general is largely limited to showing that vampires are amazing and mysterious and way cooler than regular humans.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

The company that made them was headed by none other than adventure game king Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island fame. Some of the games had music composed by Jeremy Soule, who later worked on the Elder Scrolls games, most recently Skyrim.

Also, my av is relevant to this thread.

So is this:
http://soundcloud.com/atomd/passport
and this:
http://soundcloud.com/atomd/canyon

AtomD has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
If we're talking about 90s supernatural shows, then don't forget the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xnvdtuRRo

• Locked thread