Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Looks like we already talked about the other two MEs on the last page so let's make it a three-for! I want to know about Mass Effect, as in the first one. I don't have a 360 so I picked it up on PC. I know it has some unfun clunkiness compared to the next two games, any advice on making it as fun as possible? Also any plot-related stuff I should definitely do/not do? I partially played through 2 on PS3 if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Colon V posted:

Tips for Mass Effect 3:
-For your first time through, play Soldier, Sentinel, or Infiltrator. Biotic powers are actually quite worthwhile now, but so is shooting things.

-Complete armor sets (the ones that cost 50000) have kinda crappy stats. Don't bother, unless you like the look.

All of the classes are good so you can pick whatever, it won't change much. Also the complete armor sets tend to have better stats than you can make with the N7 armor. For instance inferno armor gives 30/30 power damage/recharge which I don't think can be achieved with N7, although I did stop looking at gear in the third act.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HondaCivet posted:

Looks like we already talked about the other two MEs on the last page so let's make it a three-for! I want to know about Mass Effect, as in the first one. I don't have a 360 so I picked it up on PC. I know it has some unfun clunkiness compared to the next two games, any advice on making it as fun as possible? Also any plot-related stuff I should definitely do/not do? I partially played through 2 on PS3 if it matters.
A lot of the stuff on the wiki is about min-maxing or getting certain achievements. If you care about that sort of thing, take a look, but you can ignore most of it if you want.

- There's not really much you can do to get around the inventory issues, unfortunately.

- There are two points of no return. Once you've done Virmire, Therum, Noveria and Feros you can't go back to the Citadel without being arrested (and you can't return after that), and once you go to Ilos you're locked on the end-game track.

- Most of the minor side missions (the stuff in 3 buildings or a ship) don't really affect anything major; they're there for flavour and XP. The one on Luna is an exception, since it gives you special class stuff.

- Bring Down the Sky is free and pretty cool, although it can be annoying to get working. Not sure if it's included in new versions.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 26, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DarkDude98 posted:

No major issues that I recall. The biggest difference is a whole new act (or at least chapters in an act, I forget which) and a couple of multiplayer maps.

Thanks. I'm digging it so far. I'd just like to add for anyone in the future, play with Post-Processing on Vivid or Muted. The default and the other variant are ugly as sin. I prefer Vivid personally.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Deus Ex:Human Revolution

I just started getting weapon updates, and I'd hate to go the original DE route "oh, you've upgraded the assault rifle? Sucks to be you. Should have turned the pistol into an instant death dealer instead". So which weapons should I upgrade and take with me at least until the midgame? (I have the full inventory unlocked and prefer to remain non-lethal except for emergencies... but I aleady know that won't work with bosses)

Also, which augmentations should I definitely not take, and why?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 27, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

I just started getting weapon updates, and I'd hate to go the original DE route "oh, you've upgraded the assault rifle? Sucks to be you. Should have turned the pistol into an instant death dealer instead". So which weapons should I upgrade and take with me at least until the midgame? (I have the full inventory unlocked and prefer to remain non-lethal except for emergencies... but I aleady know that won't work with bosses)

You'll be swimming in weapons upgrades throughout the game, so don't worry too much about it. If you're really concerned about it, I'd go with the assault rifle over the pistol, as there are rarely any situations where you would use the pistol instead of the nonlethal option.

As for augmentations, don't bother upgrading the fortify or information augs for hacking. They are entirely useless.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

-Don't do all of the sidequests on the Citadel at once. It gets tedious if you do them all in a row, and you will be returning to the Citadel many times thoughout the game.

-Once you get past the introductory part of the game, you are given 3 choices as to where to go to progress the main plot. Save Therum for your second or third plot mission. It has some fights that are very tough for a low level character.

-If you haven't played any Mass Effect games before: The game rewards you for having lots of points in Renegade or Paragon. You will miss out on some of the most interesting dialogue options by sticking in the middle.

-All classes are viable, but soldier is probably the most boring, as it doesn't have as many abilities.

-Any weapon class can be good with enough weapon ranks. Pistols are suprisingly overpowered, while assault rifles need a lot of ranks before they get good.

-Dodging slow moving energy blasts in the Mako can be frustrating when you are also trying to shoot stuff. Instead, you can sit still and boost into the air whenever one is headed your way.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

- Bring Down the Sky is free and pretty cool, although it can be annoying to get working. Not sure if it's included in new versions.

I think it's downloadable from the Bioware Social site, although you still have to figure out how to verify and install it. It has a couple hours of gameplay and some unique content so it's probably worth taking the time get it working.

Edit: I can't read :downs:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 27, 2012

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Scientastic posted:

You'll be swimming in weapons upgrades throughout the game, so don't worry too much about it. If you're really concerned about it, I'd go with the assault rifle over the pistol, as there are rarely any situations where you would use the pistol instead of the nonlethal option.

As for augmentations, don't bother upgrading the fortify or information augs for hacking. They are entirely useless.

I just finished my first run through the game (non-lethal, stealth) and I agree with this. I hauled around three or four "lethal" gun alternatives in addition to the non-lethal weapons and 99% of the time it was just wasted space, so I would say go with the combat rifle (although from what I remember there are enough mods out there to trick out the rifle and the pistol if you so choose).

As for augs, Scientastic is absolutely right that the Fortify and Analyze hacking mods are useless (Fortify might seem useful, but if you're good at the hacking mini-game you'll have enough stop viruses to give yourself whatever time you would have gained fortifying. Also, the space bar will use a stop virus without having to go into the node menu when you're hacking). For other useless augs I would nominate the stealth enhancers (not the cloak, the cloak is great) unless you have literally never played a stealth game in your life. Additionally, for a non-lethal run I would hold off on the recoil and aim augs, since those are most useful in run and gun situations and you shouldn't be in too many of those. The same goes for the dermal armor upgrades - great for aggressive playstyles, not so great if you're sticking to the shadows. Finally, the Smart Vision aug seems cool but I never really ended up using it (and you don't need it to spot smashable walls, as I initially thought); the default radar is more than enough.

About smashable walls: Smart Vision and the punch-through-walls will let you burst through a wall and choke a dude out, but these always count as lethal takedowns as far as I can tell, so while it is super bad-rear end when you pull it off it will ruin a non-lethal streak.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 27, 2012

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

I picked up Dungeon Siege 3 in a Steam sale and didn't see an entry for it in the wiki. Any advice?

Wisp
May 17, 2010

Any advice for Ys: The Oath in Felghana? I'm still very early in the game, just about to do the very first dungeon, so any early-game advice now would be appreciated before I get too far in.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Astfgl posted:

I picked up Dungeon Siege 3 in a Steam sale and didn't see an entry for it in the wiki. Any advice?

You need to be mobile, standing and taking it like in Diablo will get you killed quickly. Dodge-roll, block, and so on.

Also, the game is very linear but the choices you do make can effect the epilogue. Just something to keep in mind.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I'm going to go against some of the advice here and actually recommend the pistol for upgrading. A fully tricked out pistol can one shot any soldier with a headshot in near silence from across the room. It remained an incredibly useful tool when the going got a bit rough.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CaptainRat posted:

About smashable walls: Smart Vision and the punch-through-walls will let you burst through a wall and choke a dude out, but these always count as lethal takedowns as far as I can tell, so while it is super bad-rear end when you pull it off it will ruin a non-lethal streak.
Apparently killing the dudes at the start of the game, when your only option is assault rifle or hiding is enough to ruin the achiev, and nobody cares otherwise?

Also: I currently have 2 energy bars. Using a takedown depletes one, another takedown depletes another, and I'm stuck munching on candy bars / waiting for the bar to recharge. And yet takedowns are by far the most xp rewarding way to deal with bad guys. Is there an alternative I'm missing here, or do I just have to deal with it (cue Jensen gif)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Also: I currently have 2 energy bars. Using a takedown depletes one, another takedown depletes another, and I'm stuck munching on candy bars / waiting for the bar to recharge. And yet takedowns are by far the most xp rewarding way to deal with bad guys. Is there an alternative I'm missing here, or do I just have to deal with it (cue Jensen gif)?

For some stupid reason you can only recharge the very last energy cell. If you want to do a lot of take downs get the perks that increase energy cell regeneration and you'll be a lean mean take downing machine. That or just stun gun everyone.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm going to go against some of the advice here and actually recommend the pistol for upgrading. A fully tricked out pistol can one shot any soldier with a headshot in near silence from across the room. It remained an incredibly useful tool when the going got a bit rough.

I had a fully upgraded silenced pistol for my playthrough, and I agree that it can be a very powerful weapon, but there isn't a single situation in the game where it's a necessity: If you aren't in a shootout, you can do everything with silent takedowns; if things are getting a bit rough an assault rifle is better. And it can be silenced too.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Xander77 posted:

Apparently killing the dudes at the start of the game, when your only option is assault rifle or hiding is enough to ruin the achiev, and nobody cares otherwise?

Yeah, killing the dudes in the tutorial will ruin it for the achievement, unfortunately. I was going to mention that but I think I remembered it being in the wiki.

Early game I found that upgrading the recharge fully before you actually buy extra bars is enough to get you through. Once you do a takedown and finish hiding the body, if you've fully upgraded the recharge you'll have a full bar and are ready to do another takedown. Also, once you get abilities that constantly drain the bar (the cloak, for example) and you drain, say, half a bar, that bar will recharge once you turn the ability off even if it's not the last bar.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wisp posted:

Any advice for Ys: The Oath in Felghana? I'm still very early in the game, just about to do the very first dungeon, so any early-game advice now would be appreciated before I get too far in.
You need to upgrade your fire magic to beat one of the early bosses. There should be an item in the dungeon itself you need to find to accomplish this, keep your eyes peeled.

The game is hard! You will die a lot. I generally found that whenever I was having trouble with a boss, it was probably because I was just one or two levels too low.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Wisp posted:

I played on Easy, so keeping that in mind:

Assuming you're slightly overlevelled (As far as I know I was never more than one or two levels ahead of where I should have been) and keep up with upgrading your gear, regular enemies should give you no trouble.

The real difficulty comes in with bosses, which are more rhythm mini-games/bullet hell shooters. Each one will be slightly different, so the best strategy overall is actually to die a bunch of times to each boss to learn their patterns.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I'm bad at videogames and I decided to crank up the difficulty all the way to Normal, so I can see I'm gonna have to brace myself.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

That or just stun gun everyone.
Stun gun takedown = 30 xp.
Tranq takedown = 30 xp, 40 if you hit them in the head for a marksman bonus (on that note, tranqs are weird. I've seen some people drop after one bodyshot in mid-fight, and some run around after 2 headshots while un-alerted. Equally tough guys at that)
"Proper" takedown, energy depleting though it is - 50 xp, obviously the right choice for a munchkin like myself.

I guess I'll try the recharge upgrade once my computer gets back from the shop. Any other tips?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Stun gun takedown = 30 xp.
Tranq takedown = 30 xp, 40 if you hit them in the head for a marksman bonus (on that note, tranqs are weird. I've seen some people drop after one bodyshot in mid-fight, and some run around after 2 headshots while un-alerted. Equally tough guys at that)
"Proper" takedown, energy depleting though it is - 50 xp, obviously the right choice for a munchkin like myself.

I guess I'll try the recharge upgrade once my computer gets back from the shop. Any other tips?

If you're going for takedowns, be sure to grab the augment that lets you double takedown. Not only does this deal with situations when two guards are standing together, it also nets 125 exp. The game honestly shovels plenty of exp your way regardless, but that's the maximum possible amount for dealing with enemies.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Metal Meltdown posted:

If you're going for takedowns, be sure to grab the augment that lets you double takedown. Not only does this deal with situations when two guards are standing together, it also nets 125 exp. The game honestly shovels plenty of exp your way regardless, but that's the maximum possible amount for dealing with enemies.

It's worth pointing out that the only thing exp does is give you aug upgrades. So, if you take upgrades for the sole purpose of gaining xp, you're gimping yourself in the long run.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

It's worth pointing out that the only thing exp does is give you aug upgrades. So, if you take upgrades for the sole purpose of gaining xp, you're gimping yourself in the long run.

Depends on the upgrade. It's 1000XP per Praxis point, so the double takedown aug breaks even after eight double takedowns. The wallpunch aug directly gives you at least two Praxis just for using it in the right places, too.

You're right, though, that the main utility of the double takedown aug is dealing with those irritating guard pairs.

It is kind of annoying how eagerly the game coaxes you to take the nonlethal stealthy route over everything else, though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Wisp posted:

To reiterate what Nate said, Ys enemies have strict level requirements. You'll go from barely scratching a boss to doing full damage with a single level up. Playing on Normal you shouldn't run into this too much as long as you kill everything.

On Nightmare bosses gain new attacks. More dying = more fun.

There are secret bosses at the end of Nightmare and Inferno Boss Rushes

If you're using an analog pad, turn on the "Read analog as digital" option in the options or use something like xpadder to bind arrow keys to the d-pad. You need to be able to accurately attack.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Depends on the upgrade. It's 1000XP per Praxis point, so the double takedown aug breaks even after eight double takedowns.

No, it's 5000XP per Praxis, and if getting the upgrade only nets you 25 bonus XP per double takedown, it takes 200 (!) double takedowns for it to pay for itself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

No, it's 5000XP per Praxis, and if getting the upgrade only nets you 25 bonus XP per double takedown, it takes 200 (!) double takedowns for it to pay for itself.

:doh: What have I been playing recently that has 1000XP/level?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The double takedowns look cool, are useful, and there's no shortage of XP in the game if you're taking the stealthy hacker route.

Not a top priority aug, but worth getting.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

ToxicFrog posted:

Mass Effect?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So at the recommendation of everyone ever, I started playing Deadly Premonition. I can barely figure out what the hell is going on. Am I supposed to be doing something during the "profiling" sequences? Is Agent York autistic or something?

Seriously, I just drove the town's sheriff to a city park where human remains lay on the ground. The sheriff got out of the car and bitched about me stopping, then proceeded to walk several miles to the hospital we were going to. As I picked up the human remains with my bare hands, York remarked that he should probably tell someone about this. When he joins the sheriff at the hospital, he doesn't say a thing. I can't tell whether this game is brilliant or terrible. Except for the controls and camera, those are definitely terrible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gynovore posted:

:goonsay:

Someone's never heard of an investment. :eng101: Seriously, you get way more XP from even moderate use of the double-takedown Aug than it costs, and It's incredibly useful.

Edit: Don't mind me, I'm retarded.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 28, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Colon V posted:

:goonsay:

Someone's never heard of an investment. :eng101: Seriously, you get way more XP from even moderate use of the double-takedown Aug than it costs, and it's also incredibly useful.

If not for the last four words this post would be incorrect in every aspect, emoticons included.

Don't get the double takedown for CRAZY BONUS XP (for reasons already mentioned), get it if you want to be able to disable two guards at the same time.

\/\/\/\/ e: That's what I mean. It's an extremely situationally useful ability. It isn't a terribly good "investment."

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 28, 2012

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
You're going to run into situations where you need to take down a pair of guards stealthily very often. It's pretty much a mandatory aug if you are going for a stealthy/nonlethal run.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So at the recommendation of everyone ever, I started playing Deadly Premonition. I can barely figure out what the hell is going on. Am I supposed to be doing something during the "profiling" sequences? Is Agent York autistic or something?

Seriously, I just drove the town's sheriff to a city park where human remains lay on the ground. The sheriff got out of the car and bitched about me stopping, then proceeded to walk several miles to the hospital we were going to. As I picked up the human remains with my bare hands, York remarked that he should probably tell someone about this. When he joins the sheriff at the hospital, he doesn't say a thing. I can't tell whether this game is brilliant or terrible. Except for the controls and camera, those are definitely terrible.

The profiling sequences are just for the "Otherworld" sections. They clear up as you proceed through the level and find clues.

I assume you found a bone while wandering around? Those are for a sidequest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It really is a brilliant and terrible game (terribly brilliant or brilliantly terrible, pick your choice). The wiki has a bunch of information but IMO you should just play the game straight through on easy at your leisure. It's a large world with a ton of time consuming side quests that aren't necessary unless you're playing on hard (getting infinite ammo weapons) or getting all the achievements. My second play was on hard and I used a guide to squeeze every bit of juice out of it.

Speaking of achievements, difficulties don't stack so there's no shame in playing easy first go. The combat is the worst so you might as well breeze through it.

HondaCivet posted:

Biotics are super fun in ME1. I played Sentinel and mid-way through I didn't even have to fire my gun because my biotic and tech abilities had almost instant refresh and stun locked everything. Plot wise there's nothing major you have to worry about. All the big choices occur on one planet. Focus on renegade/paragon exclusively to give bonuses in those options and they'll be necessary to save a specific character. One of two characters will die regardless so don't stress over this moment as it can't be helped.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 28, 2012

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ToxicFrog posted:

It is kind of annoying how eagerly the game coaxes you to take the nonlethal stealthy route over everything else, though.

What annoys me is how the game pushes nonlethal, but fucks it up. For example, if you tranq someone, his buddy will pat him on the cheek and say, "C'mon, wake up!" and he'll be back on his feet. Someone with a dartful of doxisucciline or whatever will be sawing logs for several hours, even if a marching band walks over him while shooting fireworks.

On the other hand, if you shoot someone with two tranq darts, they can die. This is realistic, but it can gently caress up the nonlethal achievement without you even knowing it.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

You're supposed to watch the goldmined LP, rather than playing the actual game. There's so much stuff in the LP that a normal playthrough would have missed.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

pigdog posted:

You're supposed to watch the goldmined LP, rather than playing the actual game. There's so much stuff in the LP that a normal playthrough would have missed.

Yeah, watch the LP. I think I would have gone insane had I tried playing the actual game; it's such a mess gameplay-wise.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Gynovore posted:

What annoys me is how the game pushes nonlethal, but fucks it up. For example, if you tranq someone, his buddy will pat him on the cheek and say, "C'mon, wake up!" and he'll be back on his feet. Someone with a dartful of doxisucciline or whatever will be sawing logs for several hours, even if a marching band walks over him while shooting fireworks.
I should just check the game when I get my computer back, but I might as well ask: Can you get double (tripple etc) xp for knocking the same guy out over and over?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicFrog posted:

Final Fantasy 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nope. I played DXHR much more recently than Mass Effect, and haven't touched FF8 in over a decade. I've been playing Nier, Demon's Souls, and Dungeon Siege 3, but none of those are 1kXP/level.

Maybe I'm just going crazy.