Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Could anyone point me to sound files (.wav or .mp3) of the classic Doom sound effects? I'd like to make my phone all :black101: and use them as alert tones and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Many of them are available in the download for DoomRL.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RyokoTK posted:

Many of them are available in the download for DoomRL.
90 tiny .WAV files!!! Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! :cheers:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I downloaded Brutal Doom .15 and honestly, it's pretty disappointing. All the new sounds suck, the rifle and shotgun look way too similar, and I really miss the old secondary fire for the chaingun. Why does everything good have to change?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Nah, he's in the USA. He dumped his mail order bride (probably after she got her green card :v:) and now his current girlfriend is a game designer from Sierra back before they started sucking.

Are you sure she didn't just get too old for him? Their relationship was a little weird.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have been disappointed for months in Brutal Doom. They took away my gently caress YOU. (The good one, I mean.)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

I have been disappointed for months in Brutal Doom. They took away my gently caress YOU. (The good one, I mean.)

Yeah, it's like they just distorted it so it doesn't sound like Samuel L. Jackson anymore. Very disappointing. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wouldn't it be possible to unpack the mod and change the sound file around?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to unpack the mod and change the sound file around?

I think you can extract the old sound file, pack it into it's own .pk3 file, then make it so that the old sound effect .pk3 is loaded after Brutal Doom is loaded.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I downloaded Brutal Doom .15 and honestly, it's pretty disappointing. All the new sounds suck, the rifle and shotgun look way too similar, and I really miss the old secondary fire for the chaingun. Why does everything good have to change?

The new secondary fire gives it more use. Most of the time when you needed extra rate of fire you had to ditch it because you couldn't move, and if you didn't need to move is because you had enough range, so most of the shots would miss making other weapons a better choice.

A thing that i agree is the old 'gently caress YOURSELF' sound was better but everything else got better in my opinion.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I really like the changes to the minigun. The old altfire was very un-Doomish. Locking yourself in place for accurate burst-fire? Doesn't really feel right. The new one is the opposite - sacrifice accuracy for faster bursts on the move, and makes much more sense in context.

The initial burst of bullets from a primary fire attack will be far more accurate still, which is nice.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

bbcisdabomb posted:

I hate the new sound effect for taking damage. What's it from, Doom 64?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SnipeBob posted:

I hate the new sound effect for taking damage. What's it from, Doom 64?

Yep.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Chinook posted:

Yeah, it's like they just distorted it so it doesn't sound like Samuel L. Jackson anymore. Very disappointing. :(

I was watching Predator 2 last week. As it turns out, it's Danny Glover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dZ2c0bVxw&feature=player_detailpage#t=135s

treat fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 25, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

treat posted:

I was watching Predator 2 last week. As it turns out, it's Danny Glover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dZ2c0bVxw&feature=player_detailpage#t=135s

Which, to me, makes it that much better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Haha agreed, Danny Glover is awesome and now i want to edit the old sound into 0.15a :v:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Does Brutal doom work with the Steam version of Doom 2 or Ultimate Doom?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

Does Brutal doom work with the Steam version of Doom 2 or Ultimate Doom?

You're not even running the games via Steam - you're just taking the main data WAD files from them to run in GZDoom. So yeah, everything is compatible.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks, I'm a bit of a dummy though how exactly do I get Brutal Doom working?

edit: Should clarify I'm using zDoom.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 25, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

The super-simple version:

Get the latest version of GZDoom. Unzip it.
Copy the WAD files from Final Doom, Doom 2 + Expansions into the GZDoom directory.
Get Brutal Doom for GZDoom. Put it in the GZDoom directory too.
Drag & drop the Brutal Doom.PK3 file onto GZDoom.exe

And now you're playing.

Alternatively, get a launcher like Quickly Launchering GZDoom (I think linked in the OP?) to set up mod load orders.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 25, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

edit: Should clarify I'm using zDoom.

Forget about zDoom and use either GZDoom or Skulltag. I prefer GZdoom for single player but i have a skulltag one ready to play with goons).

Just follow Dominic White's instructions and you're set.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks a bunch. Been far too long since I played Doom.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
What's the general consensus on the IDE vs Doomseeker debate? I've always found IDE more user-friendly, but I've heard lots of murmurs on the internet about how Doomseeker is 'better', although they don't usually explain why. Also, are they the best server browsers available, or is there a decent third option that I don't know about?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Once you set up all the directories for Doomseeker it's pretty useful, just double click on any game and it automatically searches a list of sites to download any IWads you don't have, and then loads it all up and connects for you. Regardless of base game and engine port.

I've not used IDE though..

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I would very much like to join everyone in some Brutal Doom co-op or something, but it doesn't appear the OS X version of Skulltag works with Lion, and I don't appear to be able to hand-enter an IP address into Doomseeker. How would I go about joining one of the servers that have been bandied about?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Guillermus posted:

Haha agreed, Danny Glover is awesome and now i want to edit the old sound into 0.15a :v:

If you do end up doing that, please put it up somewhere for me and let me know. :)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've had a lot more luck actually getting servers to even show up in IDE than I have in Doomseeker. They're pretty much identical though. They can both find and automatically download wads for you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I finally got around to trying out the AMC TC. How do I get it to unfuck the HUD so that it actually shows me what weapons/ammo/keys I have, rather than flashing it up for a second when I switch weapons?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chinook posted:

If you do end up doing that, please put it up somewhere for me and let me know. :)

I changed Brutal Doom 0.15a with Dominic White's fix for the torch sound bug for GZDoom, i didn't touch my skulltag version because that would need all goons running the same file.

All i had to do (surprisingly) was to unzip BD 0.15, delete gently caress.ogg and extract the gently caress (no extension) from BD 0.11, then add the extension .ogg. Zip it again as a pk3 file and it works! :haw:

This is basically what I know from quake 1/2 and doom 3 mods so i guess its all the same.

(my mediafire account)
http://www.mediafire.com/?awrlxtk154zl445

I'm loving editing every new BD we get with the old voice because :DannyGlover:.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

I changed Brutal Doom 0.15a with Dominic White's fix for the torch sound bug for GZDoom, i didn't touch my skulltag version because that would need all goons running the same file.

All i had to do (surprisingly) was to unzip BD 0.15, delete gently caress.ogg and extract the gently caress (no extension) from BD 0.11, then add the extension .ogg. Zip it again as a pk3 file and it works! :haw:

This is basically what I know from quake 1/2 and doom 3 mods so i guess its all the same.

(my mediafire account)
http://www.mediafire.com/?awrlxtk154zl445

I'm loving editing every new BD we get with the old voice because :DannyGlover:.

You will be my hero if you do this :allears:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Wamdoodle posted:

You will be my hero if you do this :allears:

Mine, too! Thanks for this. What a wonderful service. :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A pleasure!

Just played two levels of DTWID again with the old voice and found myself spicing the game with 'gently caress YOURSELF' every time an imp tried to hold his guts or a zombie crawled around. I stopped doing this when Sgt Mark IV changed it to the current soulless generic one.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

Forgive the quote from pages and pages ago, but holy loving poo poo. Castle.zip was one of my maps.

I remember back when pretty much every mappable FPS game would spawn legions of those cheapware CDs packed with maps, one of them had mine on it. The company sent me a free copy of the software as thanks for giving them permission. I imagine they gave free copies to every mapper they included, but it was still badass.

I wonder if there's any way you could send me that file. I'd love to check it out.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

That's great. I'll play it if someone posts it here. :) In Brutal Doom Danny Glover edition.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Enos Shenk posted:

Forgive the quote from pages and pages ago, but holy loving poo poo. Castle.zip was one of my maps.

I remember back when pretty much every mappable FPS game would spawn legions of those cheapware CDs packed with maps, one of them had mine on it. The company sent me a free copy of the software as thanks for giving them permission. I imagine they gave free copies to every mapper they included, but it was still badass.

I wonder if there's any way you could send me that file. I'd love to check it out.
Sure, here's the CASTLE.ZIP in question. Hopefully it's your one!

code:
======================================================================
Title                 : Name of your level
Author                : Your name
E-mail                : Your email adress
Web Page              : Your URL, if you have one

Description           : Set the mood here

Additional Credits to : Me, who had so such patience and time

======================================================================

* Play Information *

Episode and Level #   : Castle.
Single Player         : No
DukeMatch Level       : Yes.Only reason I play this game
Difficulty Settings   : Not implemented

* Construction *

Base                  : New level from scratch
Editor(s) used        : Build
Known Bugs            : formats your hd, ...JOKING!

* Where to get this MAP file *

FTP sites: Around , duke sites

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Don't know if I really should be circulating this information, but hell, it's on topic: Brutal Doom's gonna have a full player sound overhaul with 100% original voice acting. (By somebody with a good microphone and talent [it's me, I'm the guy] so don't worry.) Also in the mix is a taunt system which I imagine will work kind of like Duke Nukem 3D. Don't know if it'll be in .16, but yeah.

It might not be Danny Glover but it'll be a hell of a lot better than the muddy, grainy yelling that's in there now.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Don't know if I really should be circulating this information, but hell, it's on topic: Brutal Doom's gonna have a full player sound overhaul with 100% original voice acting. (By somebody with a good microphone and talent [it's me, I'm the guy] so don't worry.) Also in the mix is a taunt system which I imagine will work kind of like Duke Nukem 3D. Don't know if it'll be in .16, but yeah.

It might not be Danny Glover but it'll be a hell of a lot better than the muddy, grainy yelling that's in there now.
Only question: Is "gently caress YOURSELF" staying??

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

sockpuppetclock posted:

Seconding this. It should at least be a toggle. :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Y'know what? Brutal Doom just needs to make that a console command.

"Impulse Glover" to get the original 'gently caress YOURSELF!'. You can bind it to a key and use it at any time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

sockpuppetclock posted:

Yeah. In fact, that was one of the things I was specifically contacted about.

EDIT: Although to clarify, there'll be a new sound file for it. One that doesn't sound horrible and distorted.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 27, 2012